Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pell's Preliminary Hearing (Read 623 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Pell's Preliminary Hearing
Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:50pm

I like this bloke.  He is from my era where you got up the bastards and you did not stand on decorum, a spade was a spade and damn the consequences.

Link.

Make no mistake, some Magistrates can be quite pretentious wankers from time to time.

Quote:
The lead barrister representing Cardinal George Pell has officially applied for the magistrate overseeing the historic sexual abuse case to be “disqualified” and stood down.

Robert Richter, QC, hit out at Belinda Wallington, the supervising magistrate at Melbourne Magistrates Court for sexual offences, alleging she was showing “bias” in the high profile proceedings.

The famously fiery and forensic Richter, 72, told Wallington she should be stood down in front of a packed court.

His call came during cross-examination of Paul Sheridan, head of serious crime division, Crime Command, Victoria Police.

In an heated exchange regarding precise dates Cardinal Pell is alleged to have abused an unnamed accuser at a cinema in 1978, Mr Richter criticised the magistrate for not accepting a precise date as fact.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: Pell's Preliminary Hearing
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 4:23pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:50pm:
I like this bloke.  He is from my era where you got up the bastards and you did not stand on decorum, a spade was a spade and damn the consequences.

Link.

Make no mistake, some Magistrates can be quite pretentious wankers from time to time.

Quote:
The lead barrister representing Cardinal George Pell has officially applied for the magistrate overseeing the historic sexual abuse case to be “disqualified” and stood down.

Robert Richter, QC, hit out at Belinda Wallington, the supervising magistrate at Melbourne Magistrates Court for sexual offences, alleging she was showing “bias” in the high profile proceedings.

The famously fiery and forensic Richter, 72, told Wallington she should be stood down in front of a packed court.

His call came during cross-examination of Paul Sheridan, head of serious crime division, Crime Command, Victoria Police.

In an heated exchange regarding precise dates Cardinal Pell is alleged to have abused an unnamed accuser at a cinema in 1978, Mr Richter criticised the magistrate for not accepting a precise date as fact.

Robert Richter is a pretty good old boy, and a highly decent man. As an associate and friend of my brothers', I strongly believe that his objection to the Magistrate, would only have come after pretty strong and sustained behaviour would lead him to the belief it was a fair and valid objection.
Another reason I now have to think that there is no reason to believe the charges against Pell are valid, is that Robert Richter would be far less likely to be defend him if he did not hold a personal belief in his innocence.

At a certain point many lawyers decide to only do work they can feel good about.

I hate catholics.
I hate the clergy.
I revile, despise, and loathe child abusers.

I theoretically should be lining up to put the boot into Pell, and if it were for lack of action protecting children from other perverts I would be.
That however, is not what he is charged with, and I despise injustice as much, if not more than anything, and I do not believe prosecuting Pell is just.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:11pm

Nice language, but it will not be effective.  Pell will be committed to Trial as the Magistrate is not about to stick their neck out, and they will fall back on the usual....'these are matters for a Jury to determine.'  I've heard it a zillion times, and a Jury went on to acquit.

Preliminary Hearings in that sense are a waste of time.  They are useful in that one can cross-examine a Witness and not have any concern for an adverse Jury reaction.

Link.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:17pm

Get the rope ready.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 7:13am

If a priest ever did that to me I wouldn't rely on court hearings... I'd fix him myslef as the court will just let you down in the end.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:42pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 7:13am:
If a priest ever did that to me I wouldn't rely on court hearings... I'd fix him myself as the court will just let you down in the end.

If a priest had ever butt slammed me I'd kill him -

knowing that a lifetime in jail was worth it to see justice done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print