Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
comparison of Christianity and Islam (Read 8628 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: comparison of Christianity and Islam
Reply #30 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:28pm

The subject of religion tends to get lumped in with the belief in God. ( I have never seen a description of God that was not pathetic.) However, "religion" means way of life, the natives of Rapa Nui had a religion even without those stone images, so its important to make that distinction.

The big three religions, that are said to originate with someone named Abraham, have a conceited claim that one of these Gods is a better idea than the several they replaced. Of course you cannot use math or logic to support this notion, but for the average person's use, it probably seemed more convenient to have the Cosmos run by a king than a committee, back when Abraham assured his surrounding tribe that he alone was on intimate terms with this "King." Fortunately, for us all, social progress and public education have led to the spread of critical-thinking, so on average, people are not as easily convinced as they once were.

The two main types of Abrahmic God proponents are the "lay down the law" by what previous zealots wrote, and the glassy-eyed self-appointed representatives of God on Earth.
The human psyche, as exhibited so far, seems to have a penchant this second type of "God" fixation. To the average, rather uncomplicated person, these people seem charismatic, and I would guess they include Abraham, Jesus, Mohamed, Joseph"Mormon" Smith, and Jim "Kool-Aid" Jones.

Another parallel theme in the Big Three is that you cannot be a "good" or moral person unless you agree with them. That demand is used by all the Zealots, Prophets and assorted Holy men. Just how they pursue that claim is where Christianity and Mohammedanism diverge, and without making this comparison anymore long-winded, the differences are cultural. Its like real estate, its location, location, location. The tribes of the Islamic world are primitive and avoid progress. Christians, for what they have become, are heavily influence by 500 years of evolving Western social progress and attitudes.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 5:32pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:28pm:
The subject of religion tends to get lumped in with the belief in God. ( I have never seen a description of God that was not pathetic.) However, "religion" means way of life, the natives of Rapa Nui had a religion even without those stone images, so its important to make that distinction.

The big three religions, that are said to originate with someone named Abraham, have a conceited claim that one of these Gods is a better idea than the several they replaced. Of course you cannot use math or logic to support this notion, but for the average person's use, it probably seemed more convenient to have the Cosmos run by a king than a committee, back when Abraham assured his surrounding tribe that he alone was on intimate terms with this "King." Fortunately, for us all, social progress and public education have led to the spread of critical-thinking, so on average, people are not as easily convinced as they once were.

The two main types of Abrahmic God proponents are the "lay down the law" by what previous zealots wrote, and the glassy-eyed self-appointed representatives of God on Earth.
The human psyche, as exhibited so far, seems to have a penchant this second type of "God" fixation. To the average, rather uncomplicated person, these people seem charismatic, and I would guess they include Abraham, Jesus, Mohamed, Joseph"Mormon" Smith, and Jim "Kool-Aid" Jones.

Another parallel theme in the Big Three is that you cannot be a "good" or moral person unless you agree with them. That demand is used by all the Zealots, Prophets and assorted Holy men. Just how they pursue that claim is where Christianity and Mohammedanism diverge, and without making this comparison anymore long-winded, the differences are cultural. Its like real estate, its location, location, location. The tribes of the Islamic world are primitive and avoid progress. Christians, for what they have become, are heavily influence by 500 years of evolving Western social progress and attitudes.

Load of Croc.
The inhabitants had a 'Belief' system, mainly a 'mythology'.
NOT a Religion.

Religion is a form of expression/belief done through Writing and in the form of a BOOK. It is also based upon 'people', more than just imaginary Gods.
When the Jews inherited 'Writing' as their form of empowerment (from Babylonians, Sumerians) and 'immortalised' their Family Tree (Adam, Eve, etc) - Religion was born.

Religion: Writing/Book.

Rapa Nui a Religion?
Bahahahaha
Grin Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:44pm

Religio is from the Latin for binding together.

It has always been the pre-national, universal and almost eternal social binding. It still is, even though we now have other bindings like citizenship (a relatively recent development).

Poo-pooing it is just silly because we got here, on the back of thousands of years of religion. To dismiss it out of hand is like dismissing one's entire ancestry. Silly.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:52pm

At least he knows (it seems) what he says.  Unlike you, FD.

Cool

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:00pm

Frank wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:44pm:

It has always been the pre-national, universal and almost eternal social binding. It still is, even though we now have other bindings like citizenship (a relatively recent development).

Poo-pooing it is just silly because we got here, on the back of thousands of years of religion. To dismiss it out of hand is like dismissing one's entire ancestry. Silly.

Exactly. Religion, times 3 Monotheisms, is based on Ancestry. The Jewish peoples of Judaism. The Muslim of Mohommedism and the detached Christians of Christianity.

Even Hinduism, Budhism scrap in as Religion due to their 'texts' - but their 'belief' system is not based upon a 'realistic' peoples - more, just another Mythology like Norse, Roman, Greek and USA SuperHeroes!  Tongue

Religion=Writing=Book=Religion

Aboriginal Dreamtime is NOT a Religion. It's a Mythology.
Egyptian beliefs are also a Mythology.

Religion of Judaism, Christianity & Mohommedism had a basis of 'fact' ...of people.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:36pm

Frank wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:44pm:

Good point, dear boy. One could not agree more.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 9:28pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:28pm:

Do you think Christianity itself may have influenced that "500 years of evolving Western social progress and attitudes"?

Do you think it was progressive 2000 years ago?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 10:01pm

All that I know is that the Jews taught the Christians (of Europe) that the
''Way to God - was through them"[/
i] (and the Middle-East) for over 2000 years.
Then the Germans said [i]
"Bull#%^& - 'America' is!"
and 'broke their cross' (Swastika) upon the Jews.

...Jesus the gay Messiah one day,
Hitler the redneck Prophet the next  Wink

Monty Python: "And now for something completely different!"

Thus we have the Moslems awaiting a French Christian Gay 'Messiah' who will die for the sins of the French and be hailed by the Moslems ...for want of their Redneck Prophet Mohommed for ages. Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 10:11pm

Jasin are you playing a word association game that you forgot to tell us about?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 10:17pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
Jasin are you playing a word association game that you forgot to tell us about?

Yes. I can't make it too easy for you.
Just enough to let you know that ...I know.
And just enough to let you guess the rest  Wink

Eat from the Tree of Knowledge (Religion of the Middle-East) and know life and death.
or
Eat from the Tree of Life (North America, Australia, Oceania, etc )...and live forever like them

Cheesy

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:05am

"My invisible friend is better than your invisible friend. But at least they are both invisible friends".

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 6:04pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:05am:
"My invisible friend is better than your invisible friend. But at least they are both invisible friends".

And so said all the Science Fiction writers.

Anyone for a Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy?
Or an Ipad with Google on everything  Wink

But hey, Westerners will believe 'anything' the Media drums up for them  Cheesy

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #42 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 7:02pm

Jasin, if you have ever bothered to read the facebook newspaper sites' comment section, you would notice the number of people who write in to express counterclaims to the newspaper articles. We don't believe everything that is shown to us.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:19pm

“Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. I do not seek or conjecture either of them as if they were veiled obscurities or extravagances beyond the horizon of my vision; I see them before me and connect them immediately with the consciousness of my existence.”

It is the same for all of us, including you.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #44 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:39pm

Frank wrote on Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:19pm:

“Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. I do not seek or conjecture either of them as if they were veiled obscurities or extravagances beyond the horizon of my vision; I see them before me and connect them immediately with the consciousness of my existence.”

Tsk, tsk, no source?  How unusual for you, Soren.

It is  Immanuel Kant, Critique of Practical Reason.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print