Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
If you can never laugh at yourself.... (Read 1338 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

If you can never laugh at yourself....
Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:01am

...then you can never see the truth.

Do you think that this is a fair enough appraisal?

The life of the late great Stephen Hawkings has caused me to think of this topic, and what it means to me.

I have always thought that way, however, my own joking defamation has caused others to jump on the bandwagon to defame me more instead of thinking that it's OK to have a laugh at themselves, which was my aim.

Oh, that sorta backfired on me..lol. I didn't expect that people actually do take themselves that seriously, and are constantly searching for opportunities to raise their own self-worth/ego without any consideration for actual truth.

Anyways, I'll be aware in the future that this is how most people operate.

Is this anything spiritual? Well yes, depending on how you read it.i

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Re: If you can never laugh at yourself....
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:58am

I have had similar issues.
Saying a few good natured 'Australian' comments against myself and some people continued that attitude against me.

When I saw your title  '... If you can never laugh at yourself ....... '   I thought  ' ..... you are in big trouble . '

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:18am

Laughing at yourself occasionally is quite natural, but Australians take delight in laughing (mockingly) at the misfortune of others, which can only be interpreted as insecurity........or Cultural Cringe.....

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

le_petit_prince

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:32am

I think self-irony important quality. I can laugh at myself first or together with other people. This is very helpful in coping with stress)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2018 at 9:33am

Quote:

Rhetoric, philosophy, and art

.....The discussion of rhetoric, the proper practice of which is found to actually be philosophy, has many similarities with Socrates's role as a "midwife of the soul" in the Theaetetus; the dialectician, as described, is particularly resonant.

To practice the art, one must have a grasp of the truth and a detailed understanding of the soul in order to properly persuade.

Moreover, one must have an idea of what is good or bad for the soul and, as a result, know what the soul should be persuaded towards......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaedrus_(dialogue)

Q.
Do men properly understand, 'what the soul should be persuaded towards' ?

Do we demonstrate that understanding ?

Look at the state of this world [today].

"And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good?
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?"

- Robert M. Pirsig     in, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

Romans 1:20
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

i.e.
The 'invisible things of him' are the most real things, and are the most important things.

'His' choices,       and, our choices.

The 'invisible things of him' are the most real things, and are the most important things.

A realisation, which is not easily comprehended, by those who see [are distracted by] only the 'reality' and the 'things', of this world.

n.b.
The pure craft of the majician,     is to distract the attention of his audience.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
- Professor Dumbledore - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

There is nothing that is wrong, that cannot be remedied, by doing what is right.
- ?

Our job is to live as well and as long as we can, and to help others do the same.
- ?

"Glory follows virtue as if it were its shadow."
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesman

And yes, i agree with the initial statement/proposition, in the OP.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm

Yadda wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 9:33am:

And yes, i agree with the initial statement/proposition, in the OP.

Modified your original post to make sense.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:47pm

Depends.
Some people take themselves 'very seriously' in regards to 'work', but laugh at themselves when out 'socially'.
Others are the reverse.
Some do at both, while some more don't at either.

As for 'spirituality'?
Well, its a vague term for something that only 'exists' to be seen as ...Fashion. You are how you dress (physical empowerment). Some people think its a 'behaviour', but it only gets so far as 'snobby' boutique  attitudes based on financial goals.

So if you think you are 'Spiritual'?
Then go look in the mirror to see how you 'dress for the occassion' ...you might even laugh about it  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:49pm

Laughter is the Best Medicine (Readers Digest)

I used to love working Palliative.
My favourite line was to walk in to the dying patient and say dead-pan like "Oh, you're still here"  Huh
The patient would laugh (knowing my actions spoke louder than my words) and reply "You're killing me!"

All's good.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print