Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newstart Allowance Increase Attacked (Read 3202 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Newstart Allowance Increase Attacked
Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:43am

'You can buy very little for 50 cents': Newstart increase attacked

19 March 2018
Sydney Morning Herald

A 50¢ increase in the Newstart allowance from Tuesday will be almost negligible for Sally Allain who struggles to stay out of homelessness on an income that puts her below the poverty line.   Sad

The single mother, who relied on Newstart for 18 months until October, still needs it to top up her income as a cleaner in an aged care home.

The Brotherhood of St Lawrence said the Newstart allowance for a single unemployed person without children would increase by only 50 cents a day from Tuesday. This would add $7 to the base fortnightly payment, bringing it to $545.80.   Sad

Sally Allain: 'For 20 years, I have not been able to find a job that pays enough or has enough hours.'

“The inadequacy of Newstart is brought into stark relief by this 50 cent a day increase for a single unemployed person," Brotherhood executive director Conny Lenneberg said. “You can buy very little for 50 cents a day.   Sad

"Such a modest increment will make no material difference to people living in poverty on Newstart."

New analysis from the Brotherhood of St Lawrence shows more than 28 per cent of 223,038 people who sought help from homeless services across Australia between 2016-2017 and who disclosed their income said they were on Newstart.

Newstart is a welfare payment for people who are unemployed or with income or assets below a certain amount. You can get Newstart while you earn money from a part time or casual job.

“Rising homelessness is directly connected to the inadequacy of Newstart which is 20 per cent below the poverty line for a single person. The system needs urgent repair,” Ms Lenneberg said.

Ms Allain, 54, said she had received $666 per fortnight on Newstart, including additional rental assistance, while having to pay $520 of that on rent for a two-bedroom flat in Geelong.

She now earns up to $1000 a fortnight in her new cleaning job, but her weekly hours vary.

"For 20 years, I have not been able to find a job that pays enough or has enough hours," she said.

"I haven't managed to find employment that took me above the minimum wage.

"I am anxious about homelessness and have spent all my savings."

Before moving to Australia she had worked as a secretary for Ernst and Young, but has been unable to find enough hours of work since having a child and moving to Geelong about 20 years ago.

She sold a house she bought in West Australia where she worked as a funeral director and has now spent virtually all of those savings on living expenses over the years.

The Brotherhood of St Lawrence said the base rate of the Newstart Allowance had not increased in real terms since 1994.   Sad

Minister for Social Services Dan Tehan said rates of Newstart Allowance are indexed twice a year in-line with the Consumer Price Index.

"More than 99 per cent of Newstart recipients receive additional payments and supplements based on their circumstances," Mr Tehan said.

"Newstart is designed to support individuals into employment. Around two thirds of those granted Newstart exit income support within 12 months.”

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Newstart Allowance Increase Attacked
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:54am

Thats completely ridiculous. How is 7 dollars a fortnight going to make any difference at all?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 6:00am

When will the unemployed ever get a fair increase?.   Sad

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:44am

If you Lefties are fair dinkum then send a donation to her.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 8:53am

Since the years 2000
I have paid nearly $600000.00 in tax
I would rather my tax dollars spent on Australians
Pensioners, low income even Abbie rather than passing it onto other deadbeat third world shiteholes.

The pensioners, those who can't find a decent paying job ( because of stooopid grubberment idiocy) should be allowed the live at least decently

STOP SENDING AID OUT OF AUSTRALIA

GET RID OF THAT MORON OF A SHELA WHO KEEPS GIVING OUR MONEY AWAY

STOP IMMIGRATION OF THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL IMMIGRANTS AND

SPEND MY TAX IN AUSTRALIA

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:24am

Let's have a look at Sally Allain. She's worked as a secretary and a funeral director yet has settled on a job as a cleaner where she netts $500 a week. She sold a house in Western Australia to live in Melbourne where she obviously didn't have work contacts. She got pregnant and then split from her partner who, we can only assume, is a deadbeat. Finally, she's paying overs of about $200 on accomadation. Still, she complains to the SMH (yes a Labor apparatachik). You can tell it's an election year when the Left starts fawning to welfare recrecipients with the promise of free money

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:59am

Quote:
“The inadequacy of Newstart is brought into stark relief by this 50 cent a day increase for a single unemployed person," Brotherhood executive director Conny Lenneberg said. “You can buy very little for 50 cents a day.   

"Such a modest increment will make no material difference to people living in poverty on Newstart."

Can't you lay-buy a coffee every week - for a Monday collection ?
THAT'D get the week off to a flying start

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:05am

Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:24am:
Let's have a look at Sally Allain. She's worked as a secretary and a funeral director yet has settled on a job as a cleaner where she netts $500 a week. She sold a house in Western Australia to live in Melbourne where she obviously didn't have work contacts. She got pregnant and then split from her partner who, we can only assume, is a deadbeat. Finally, she's paying overs of about $200 on accomadation. Still, she complains to the SMH (yes a Labor apparatachik). You can tell it's an election year when the Left starts fawning to welfare recrecipients with the promise of free money

Settled. Heh. Prolly couldnt get anything better. And you cant claim the dole if you live somewhere with low employment. But you cant afford rent somewhere with high employment on the dole. great.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:10am

When it comes tp jobs...there's always better. When it comes to accomadation...there's always cheaper.
Hammer.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:43am

More work in Malbun than Perth.... hardly a move to a no job area, was it?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:49am

Then she should be able to find another job. Am I the only one who is fed up with this 'life's unfair; compensate me' generation?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:32pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:43am:
More work in Malbun than Perth.... hardly a move to a no job area, was it?

Maybe she moved specifically for the job. We dont know. Not like the media tells us all the facts

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 1:07pm

The SMH is part of the Left's media arm. The report didn't mention how much she receives from child support and family payment. That would focus attention on the actions and decisions of the individual. Its just easier to blame the government.
Hammer.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 2:23pm

This is only one case of the destruction of the family unit.

Pensioners are living from week to week

Unable to afford a decent meal, get medication, go anywhere other than stay at home

Heating, air conditioning , even simple pleasures in life are denied them by a heartless and greedy grubberment.

The grubberment want them dead.

But the world would be a much better place with a dead grubberment rather than dead pensioners.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:23pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 1:07pm:
The SMH is part of the Left's media arm.

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print