Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Beheadings in Aceh?
Reply #75 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:41pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:39pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:26pm:
For those who missed it.

Any law, from any court, that dictates death for any crime is an ass.

You are changing the subject once again, to defend Islam. The Indo death penalty has been plastered all over the TV news recently. So don't be so condescending, although it is a favourite pose of yours.

This subject is about the introduction of beheading in Aceh for Islamic religious reasons, which you just cannot bring yourself to condemn without a string of caveats that render your opinion worthless anyway.

Need to update your dossiers, schmuck?

Capital punishment -v- beheading.  Such a dilemma.  Choose your poison?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:47pm

For those who missed it.

You are changing the subject once again, to defend Islam. The Indo death penalty has been plastered all over the TV news recently. So don't be so condescending, although it is a favourite pose of yours.

This subject is about the introduction of beheading in Aceh for Islamic religious reasons, which you just cannot bring yourself to condemn without a string of caveats that render your opinion worthless anyway.

Nope.

This thread is about capital punishment.

I'm discussing capital punishment.

Would you like to try again?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:54pm

For those who missed it.

Specsavers open at 9 am.

I suggest you get down there first thing tomorrow morning.

My quotes, from this thread:

Quote:
In Indonesia, they've been using the "barbaric, primitive, brutal" death penalty since 1973.

Quote:
I'm 100% against the death penalty in all countries, in all circumstances.

Quote:
"Amnesty International [and Mr Peccary] opposes the death penalty in all cases, without exception, regardless of the nature or circumstances of the crime: guilt, innocence or other characteristics of the individual, or the method used by the state to carry out the execution."

Quote:
I don't support any religion.

Moreover, I don't support capital punishment at any time, in any place, under any circumstances.

Quote:
For those who missed it, I'm against all forms of capital punishment, in all countries, in all circumstances.

Quote:
Any law that dictates death for any crime is an ass.

The method of execution is merely a side issue.

Indonesia has been killing prisoners since 1973.

It was barbaric then, and it's barbaric now.

Quote:
For those who missed it.

Do you have any idea how incredibly stupid you look right now?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #78 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:02pm

i thought capital punishment was a written language error..... some here do it all the time....

...OR THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING AT SOME ASSHOLE WHO THOROUGHLY DESERVES IT..... (ouch that hurt even my ears).... whereas self-control and assertive behaviour under pressure from assholes is the body's way of reserving vengeance for when there are no witnesses.....

think i'll hit the sack and read a book.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:22pm

For those who missed it.

I missed the bit where you gave a straight answer to a simple question Greg. Would you like to have another try?

Do you see any particular danger in handing a religious court the authority to hand out death sentences?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:54pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:23pm:
Jasin wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:19pm:
FD also has a valid point.
At the last resort, only Legal (Political/Police) Courts should be handing out punishment for 'criminal' acts.
But the line is so very fine with Religion (Moral Codes) - but no, I do not think Religion has the 'right' to hand out Death Penalty or imprisonments ...only threats of burning in hell after death. Cheesy

Australia?
How do you kill an Aussie (Criminal)?
Leave them alone and they will do it themselves.

Wink

He is being cute.  The Courts in  Aceh are those set up by the Sharia Government.  Ipso facto, says FD, the Courts will be Sharia Courts per se.  I say, no.  They'll be courts adminstering whatever the Law of the Land is.

Incorrect. Aceh courts administer Sharia law unrelated to Indonesian law. Aceh operates autonomously in this regard.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:29am

I understand that Sharia Law is Aceh Government Law.  Am I wrong?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #82 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:38am

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:54pm:
For those who missed it.

Specsavers open at 9 am.

Quote:
In Indonesia, they've been using the "barbaric, primitive, brutal" death penalty since 1973.

Quote:

Quote:
"Amnesty International [and Mr Peccary] opposes the death penalty in all cases, without exception, regardless of the nature or circumstances of the crime: guilt, innocence or other characteristics of the individual, or the method used by the state to carry out the execution."

Quote:

Moreover, I don't support capital punishment at any time, in any place, under any circumstances.

Quote:
For those who missed it, I'm against all forms of capital punishment, in all countries, in all circumstances.

Quote:

Quote:
For those who missed it.

I'm curious.

So you quote yourself. If you wanted to start a thread on capital punishment you could have. This isn't it. Read the title, dimwit and put it in your dossier.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #83 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:05am

Aussie wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:29am:

So does it accord with Indonesian 'federal' law?  This is a big issue...is there a single 'federal' bill of rights or whatever?  Here in Oz a state may not introduce a death penalty...

Unfortunately religious based law tends towards the subjective rather than the objective...

Reminds me of that British comedy sketch where a judge asks a jury foreman for the reasons the jury found the defendant guilty.... first reply is, "He looks guilty!", and we all know the automatic prejudice that adheres to anyone accused - "must be guilty or he wouldn't be there in the first place"....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:17am

issuevoter wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:38am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:54pm:
For those who missed it.

Specsavers open at 9 am.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
For those who missed it.

I'm curious.

So you quote yourself. If you wanted to start a thread on capital punishment you could have. This isn't it. Read the title, dimwit and put it in your dossier.

Off-topic, personal abuse.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #85 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:27am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:05am:
Aussie wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:29am:

So does it accord with Indonesian 'federal' law?  This is a big issue...is there a single 'federal' bill of rights or whatever?  Here in Oz a state may not introduce a death penalty...

Unfortunately religious based law tends towards the subjective rather than the objective...

Reminds me of that British comedy sketch where a judge asks a jury foreman for the reasons the jury found the defendant guilty.... first reply is, "He looks guilty!", and we all know the automatic prejudice that adheres to anyone accused - "must be guilty or he wouldn't be there in the first place"....

I dunno.  Seems it has status as a 'special State' within the Republic but I have no idea how the Law there may influenced by the National Parliament or their high Court.  I doubt anyone here knows either.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:40am

The province of Aceh in Indonesia enforces some provisions of Islamic criminal law, the sole Indonesian province to do so. In Aceh, Islamic criminal law is called jinayat (an Arabic loanword). The laws that implement it are called Qanun Jinayat or Hukum Jinayat, roughly meaning "Islamic criminal code".[1][a] Although the largely-secular laws of Indonesia apply in Aceh, the provincial government passed additional regulations, some derived from Islamic criminal law, after Indonesia authorized its provinces to enact regional regulations (perda) and granted Aceh special autonomy to implement Islamic law. Offences under the provisions include alcohol consumption, production and distribution, gambling, adultery, rape, sexual harassment, certain intimacies outside marriage, and certain homosexual acts. Punishments include caning, fines, and imprisonment. There is no provision for stoning; an attempt to introduce it in 2009 was vetoed by Governor Irwandi Yusuf. In 2016 Aceh processed 324 first instance court cases under Islamic criminal law, and carried out at least 100 caning sentences.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_criminal_law_in_Aceh

Whats wrong with doing a simple google? bugger you are lazy.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #87 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:13am

I had already read that.  It remains unclear to what extent the Laws of the Republic may or do over-ride or limit those within Aceh.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #88 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:16pm

freediver wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:22pm:
For those who missed it.

I missed the bit where you gave a straight answer to a simple question Greg. Would you like to have another try?

Do you see any particular danger in handing a religious court the authority to hand out death sentences?

Aussie? Would you like a try seeing as Greg can't bring himself to answer?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #89 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:13pm

freediver wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:16pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:22pm:
For those who missed it.

Aussie? Would you like a try seeing as Greg can't bring himself to answer?

Sure.  Define 'religious Court' first.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19
Send Topic Print