Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Bush Fires (Read 1247 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bush Fires
Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:55am

heart breaking news from sleepy little Tathra so sad and sorry to see the devastation

A “LARGE” and “very fast-running” inferno has cut a swath of destruction through the tight-knit south coast community of Tathra — with Bega Valley mayor Kristy McBain saying that at least 35 homes had been lost and the local primary school was gone.

Hundreds of residents sheltered overnight in a makeshift evacuation centre at Bega Showground.

and now the news from Vic  is just as bad.....awful stuff  farmers having to shoot their cattle.....

thank god for our firies   

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Bush Fires
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:17am

Oh crap i know a lil old lady there. Shes in hospital i hope her house is still there when she gets out

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:53am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:17am:
Oh crap i know a lil old lady there. Shes in hospital i hope her house is still there when she gets out

Spot

if that Tathra spot  it doesnt look good.70 homes gone.... at least no lives lost... but  retirement place all gutted....I believe the wind was indescribable at last I think its eased up.... I  guess she is in Bega Hospital....but the news can be just as devastating...

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:09am

I couldnt get over the extremely strong winds we had here in Canberra yesterday.

There we power outages all over Canberra including at my place and my sons.

I was wondering if they were getting the same winds in Victoria where the fires were, which would have turned it into a nightmare,

I didnt know about Tathra at the time!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:11am

It is not great, but here in Vic they are not really BAD (I fought both Ash Wednesday and Black Saturday fires they were BAD BAD) these are grass fires at the end of summer, when the grass is not that long or thick as it could be.
Saturday night my daughter and I went out the back yard to let the dog do it's business before bed, and she spotted the red glow and asked what it was. It was the start of the fires that hit Terang and Garvoc.

A few properties have been lost, and that is a tragedy for them, but as this area is not BUSH, but grazing land, it is on a whole different level, less intense, except for the direct victims, loss is loss.

Firies again doing amazing job, we should all support them as much as we can.

Also chip in to support those who are in need if you are able.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:15am

Tathra is mostly retired people....it must be devastating to lose just everything .. their little houses  would be powder kegs really....so awfully sad...it must look like the end of the world..

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:20am

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:09am:
I couldnt get over the extremely strong winds we had here in Canberra yesterday.

I was wondering if they were getting the same winds in Victoria where the fires were, which would have turned it into a nightmare,

Nope, the STRONG winds predicted did not come. Thankfully, or luckily, as it was. It was pretty windy Saturday, with some very strong SE gusts, but the NW change, that was predicted to come with up to 100 k winds Sunday morning, never arrived. If they had the fire would have blown into far Bushier country between the Princes Hwy and the coast. It would have burned Port Campbell to Warrnambool to the coast. If it had got into the Otways, via Lavers Hill, Cape Otway forest, it could have been catastrophic.
We were apprehensive yesterday morning, waiting for the wind to come, but it never did, Easterlies with s few light showers came, and we were bloody grateful.
The religious, thanked the lord.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:55am

The volunteers are putting in superhuman effort.

The grubberment is doing.............nuffink.

Figures

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:58am

Valkie wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:55am:
The volunteers are putting in superhuman effort.

The grubberment is doing.............nuffink.

Figures

Good point Valkie, who thinks the government should give volunteer firies a tax exemption, like a bonus sort of thing?
Maybe 10% tax discount, or something at least.
It would show gratitude and respect in a more concrete way.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:16am

I put fire fighters and emergency services up there with superheros.
I have personally seen their training facilities here in brisbane and they get all honers for their courage and commitment to their extremely dangerous job...and they don't get paid near enough.

Their union needs to start knocking heads with gov for better conditions imo.

And my wife LOVES the annual callender the boys put out.
Cheers fireys.

Anyone think these fires are deliberately lit?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:54am

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:09am:

Did you see the colour of the sky? People tell me thats from dust inland . . . .

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:55am

cods wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:15am:
Tathra is mostly retired people....it must be devastating to lose just everything .. their little houses  would be powder kegs really....so awfully sad...it must look like the end of the world..

I havent heard of the lady yet - will check on her soon

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:01pm

Devastating to lose everything like this- wildfires  are so destructive- how do old people recover after this- not just possessions lost but a lifetime of memories  Embarrassed

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:36pm

Hot news and a burning question....

Seasonal - when the sun reaches the middle moons and the dark descent begins to Winter's clammy grip in Victoria... the fire lunatics feel a need to warm things up a bit.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:40pm

cods wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:15am:

Yup - we used to live not far from Taffra and knew some people there... lady got shark bit and killed there coupla years ago ... includes my orthopaedic surgeon who did some work for me free.... in between lecturing at ANU... he's a good man and not greedy.  Two girls were once kidnapped from there and later murdered - the scum responsible are still behind bars and dreading the day any Bega Valley bloke arrives in prison...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:08pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/39551600/video-reveals-damage-after-bushfires-ra...

Looks like it got all the way to the headland behind the pub on one side, and I can see where the school was.... to get to the caravan park it would have had to go through any number of houses first, and probably the bowlo, and then jump the road ....

Oh, dear......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:15pm

Very hot and windy here yesterday but no smoke thank God.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:39pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:08pm:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/39551600/video-reveals-damage-after-bushfires-ra...

Looks like it got all the way to the headland behind the pub on one side, and I can see where the school was.... to get to the caravan park it would have had to go through any number of houses first, and probably the bowlo, and then jump the road ....

Oh, dear......

I still havent been able to get any information but apparently she lives on the headland. Seems I will have 2 old ladies to look after Sad

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:52pm

Oh, dear.

Plenty of smoke in the air up here.. must be blowing up on that southerly.

― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:16pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Oh, dear.

lets hope its just smoke....grap...... the wind is pretty strong up here as well.. then it dies down.....they were burning off up here only last week...

I heard there is a cool change coming fingers crossed..

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:11pm

cods wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:16pm:
Oh, dear.

lets hope its just smoke....grap...... the wind is pretty strong up here as well.. then it dies down.....they were burning off up here only last week...

Just watching the news - Tathra looks like a war zone.. 69 homes destroyed - 26 fires across NSW.  That's why there's smoke up here.

― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:21pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:11pm:
cods wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:16pm:
Oh, dear.

Just watching the news - Tathra looks like a war zone.. 69 homes destroyed - 26 fires across NSW.  That's why there's smoke up here.

WoW.... Vic as well......so far no deaths   thats got to be a plus....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:53pm

this doesnt look good..

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/tathra-bushfire-fire-and-rescue-nsw-o...

THE Rural Fire Service knocked back two offers from Fire and Rescue NSW to send emergency brigades to fight the Tathra bushfire in the hours before dozens of homes were destroyed on Sunday.

Fire and Rescue NSW incident logs show the state government agency, recognising a high volume of Triple 0 calls flooding the system, tried to send a crew to fight the fire outbreak at Reedy Swamp in Bega Valley at 12.34pm and then again at 12.58pm.

But both of the offers from the body responsible for fire fighting in towns and cities were declined by the Rural Fire Service, the biggest volunteer fire service in the world.

Fire and Rescue NSW’s log for 12.58 reads: “FR assistance offered and declined.”

It wasn’t until three hours later as the fire tore into the south coast town that the RFS issued a request for help at 3.40pm. “Priority request. From RFS. fire front approaching Tathra req (sic) all available FRNSW appliances to Wildlife Dr,” the log shows.

The incident log from the Rural Fire Service shows that Fire and Rescue NSW’s offers of assistance were declined.
Under a Memorandum of Understanding between the two agencies, the Rural Fire Service is required to formally accept an offer of assistance from Fire and Rescue before the government agency is able to respond to emergencies.

There was no warning that said we should consider evacuating

After the offers for assistance were rejected, Fire and Rescue NSW dispatched a pumper engine crew from nearby Bega to Reedy Swamp at 1.03pm saying according to the log it was “probably” in their jurisdiction in any case. It arrived at 1.19pm.

The incident logs show there were about 48 Triple 0 calls received for the Reedy Swamp Fire. When the fire escalated in Tathra, Fire and Rescue NSW sent at least a dozen brigades from Batemans Bay, Narooma, Bega, Merimbula, Thredbo, Berry, Nowra and Braidwood.
An RFS spokesman said the first Triple 0 calls were received just before 12.30pm on Sunday and firefighters from a number of local RFS were dispatched with the first arriving on scene at 12.43pm

By the time the RFS sent out a warning at 3.48pm to the residents of Thompson Drive, David Neyle’s wife and sons had already fled.

“There was no warning that said we should consider evacuating,” Mr Neyle said.

Some residents claimed hazard reduction burns around their homes had not been carried out for decades before the inferno, blaming “green” groups. Vegetation in the area had created tinderbox conditions, they said.

Emergency Services Minister Troy Grant said there would be an investigation into Sunday’s operations.

“This review will consider the causes of the fire, and the response of all agencies involved,” a spokesman said. Residents yesterday expressed fury they received no warning text messages or they came too late.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 4:51pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/tathra-bushfires-fire-union-calls-for...

THE fire brigade’s union is calling for a parliamentary inquiry into the “ongoing turf war” between the state’s two fire services after The Daily Telegraph revealed the Rural Fire Service turned down two NSW Fire and Rescue offers to help with the Tathra bushfire catastrophe.

Fire Brigade Employees Union official Mick Nairn said “heads need to roll” as they had numerous trucks on standby on the far south coast — both for housing protection and bush areas.

We’re calling on an open inquiry here. We would like preferentially a parliamentary inquiry,” Mr Nairn said.

“This is part of an ongoing turf war. The community is probably unaware but there are invisible boundaries everywhere. And that determines which trucks are responding where. This has got to stop.”

so appliances were sent to jobs as quick as possible.

“I don’t want to see more Tathra’s. I see homes destroyed and a whole bunch of firefighting appliances that our members staff that weren’t used and called in as early as possible,” he said.

“Our appliances we had down there were numerous. Pumpers for housing protection.

We also had numerous tankers capable of going off road in the area as well.”

He rejected the RFS’s claims the vehicles on offer were not suitable.

On the day due to the nature of the severe warning we had appliances in position around the far south coast capable of going into the bush if needed.”

Mr Nairn said he would support a shift to one state fire service instead of two to stop the problem of the “turf war”.

Clearly the solution is quite simple, the nearest appliances that can do the most good and get there the quickest need to be called,” he said.

“It makes sense having one service. You’re looking at streamlined, you not having two head offices you’re not having these turf wars over budget.”

totally outrageous    people lost everything  because of EMPIRE BUILDING>.. Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print