Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Better Off Working At A Fish And Chip Shop (Read 559 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Better Off Working At A Fish And Chip Shop
Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:48am

'I'd be better off working at a fish and chip shop': Australian Tax Office call centre staff 'get paid LESS than McDonald's workers' - and you'll never guess why   Sad

Call-centre staff at Australia Taxation Office earn less than McDonald's workers
    Employees in the centres are outsourced by a US company so earn less
    The workers' union CPSU claim staff would earn the award rate if not for the deal

Daily Mail Australia

18 March 2018

McDonald's workers in Australia are paid more than almost all of their global counterparts - as well as apparently the call-centre staff employed to answer Australian's questions about tax.

Staff answering calls made to the Australian Tax Office are employed as part of a scheme by a US company which outsources the labour under a $100 million deal.

Under the alleged agreement between the ATO and American-owned outsourcing solutions company Stellar, workers are making as little as $20 an hour.

McDonald's employees in Australia allegedly earn more than staff answering phones for the Australian Taxation Office

The amount is less than that made by Australia's burger-flippers.

'I would be better off working at a fish and chip shop where I would get a better rate of pay,' one unnamed worker who earns $20.20 told the Daily Telegraph.

She also claimed that the workers do not receive weekend penalty rates or sanctioned breaks during shifts at the centre.   Sad

The minimum wage for an entry-level casual call-centre worker in Australia is $24.41, according to the Fair Work Ombudsman.

This award rate includes penalty rates for weekend, overtime and public holidays worked where staff are supposed to earn up to $50 an hour.

The Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) representing the workers affected under the deal, allege they would earn more than $30 if they were hired directly.

The staff are employed under an alleged agreement with outsourcing solutions company Stellar, which sees workers make as little as $20 an hour

Last year the union claimed one-fifth of the ATO's work force was now made up of outsourced labour and says the workers would be better of without the agreement

The CPSU also alleges that under the deal, Stellar would receive $50 for each outsourced worker. 

Last year the union claimed one-fifth of the ATO's work force was now made up of outsourced labour.

In Australia, an entry-level McDonald's employee aged 21 and older must be paid at least $21 an hour.

This wage is also subject to weekend, overtime and public holiday penalty rates which can see staff earn almost $45 an hour.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Better Off Working At A Fish And Chip Shop
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 1:40pm

That's what happens when your 'government' sells out its people for thirty pieces of silver and the promise of another nice little earner after politics....

You really have to ask why any government would do these things, not just allow them, but actively participate ....

Ditch The Witch!!  Chaff bag her out to sea....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:12pm

I had to catch a bus yesterday and noticed it was full of signs saying that they were now hiring and employing bus drivers.  $70k was the base salary.

Perhaps we could take the non English speaking ones out of the ATO and public service in general,  having to deal with the public daily, put them on the buses where they don't have to talk and frustrate people and teach them to read street signs instead?    Cheesy

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:17pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
I had to catch a bus yesterday and noticed it was full of signs saying that they were now hiring and employing bus drivers.  $70k was the base salary.

Perhaps we could take the non English speaking ones out of the ATO and public service in general,  having to deal with the public daily, put them on the buses where they don't have to talk and frustrate people and teach them to read street signs instead?    Cheesy

One of my cousins was a bank manager and doing very well but hated it with a passion. He's been a bus driver for about 20 years now and loves it.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:02pm

No wonder - 2 years ago -
it took me 5 phone calls & 2 letters to get
out of the Tax Dept's. stupid tax instalment system -
that I never asked to be in.

The people I phoned knew less than me &
they couldn't read the English in my letter.

They employ halfwits.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:06pm

American companies here always try to make their Australian workers for USA style pay.

I remember Artists working for Disney and other USA Film companies on the Gold Coast, etc. Crap money!

I've worked for American companies - crap money.

And yet the PM is so quick to embrace all things like 'cashless' society, USA style and anything else regarding USA Economics...
...even though they are one of the worst Economic nations to deal with in many ways.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:10pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:06pm:
American companies here always try to make their Australian workers for USA style pay.

I remember Artists working for Disney and other USA Film companies on the Gold Coast, etc. Crap money!

I've worked for American companies - crap money.

And yet the PM is so quick to embrace all things like 'cashless' society, USA style and anything else regarding USA Economics...
...even though they are one of the worst Economic nations to deal with in many ways.

American companies make you wear 5 different hats &
then pay you as though you only have only one job
& at the lowest market rate they can find.
Capitalism is a very cruel system.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print