Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
10 reasons to not join a union (Read 3570 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 10 reasons to not join a union
Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:02pm

It's 2018, aqua - not 1945.

Moreover, unions are needed now more than ever before.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #31 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:02pm:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/actuonline/pages/814/attachments/original/...

!945 or 2018 a filthy lying grub is never to be trusted at anytime

Wouldn't you say, greeg?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:34pm

BigOl64 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/actuonline/pages/814/attachments/original/...

Wouldn't you say, greeg?

I would probably agree.

However, I know a few filthy lying grubs that were in the ADF.

Does that mean we should label all ADF personnel - past, present and future - as filthy lying grubs?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #33 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:51pm

aquascoot wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:28am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:29am:
aquascoot wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:23am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:07am:
Its time wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 7:03pm:
Thanks for the weekend unions  Smiley

Yes.

And meal & rest breaks.

Thanks, Unions    Smiley

these things should not need to be codified.

the employer should make sure the worker is well fed and watered in the same way he should make sure his machinery is well oiled and maintained.

the worker should feel passionate and engaged about his work.  you dont need to "take a break" from work you are passionate about.
if having time off from your work is seen as a source of joy, then you are simply doing the wrong sort of work.  you need a non-accrimonious divorce and you need to go find work that is meaningful.

Correct.

However, there are hundreds of employers out there who still refuse to give their workers their breaks.

There are even employers out there who refuse to allow workers to go to the toilet.

Without the good work of the Unions, more and more of these unscrupulous employers would be getting away with such illegal behaviour.

Thanks Unions   Smiley

personal responsibility takes over at that stage.
you dont need to be a cry baby and cry to the union.
you need to walk into the bosses office and tell him that you are not feeling that the work environment is enabling you to climb the "narrow road to success" and therefore you will need to seek out a new employer with whom to establish a collaborative partnership.

calling in a union is like calling in the police to get a DVO against your partner.
its band aid therapy and changes nothing.
toxic is still toxic.

have some self respect and leave

Throw enough fines at the grubs and they may learn a little about respect and fairness.

Walking away will fix nothing just leave the problem for someone else to be abused and ripped off.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:28pm

The unions also invented toilet breaks. Prior to unions everyone was expected to wait till they got home after their 18 hour shift to go to the toilet.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Brendon

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 11:30pm

As an employer I don't belive workers should be part of groups like unions.

I believe in individualism!

I was just saying to the chaps at the Chamber of Commerce (member 23 years) the other day, it would be a better idea for a worker to come into my office and talk directly about his wages. No interference outside groups trying to sir up trouble.

Unions tried one on late last year for a pay rise. But we couldn't afford it. After 5 days of the dispute we organized a lockout. See how the bastards like no pay over Christmas, I said. Ha! The board was with me one hundred percent. Every member.

I don't like these strikes, though. Holds up business. I'm always glad to hear the unions getting sued over stuff like that. Glad there's a law for it.

But yes, unions are bad.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #36 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:32am

It's all well and good for an honest employer to say that unions are bad, however, there are now an increasing number of employers who will use any loophole available to shaft their workers in order to get a leg up.

Fair work Australia is absolute nonsense. The average Joe has no hope of getting a fair deal through them.

Unfortunately, these low interest rates are the natural result of greed and denying money to the masses. When the masses cannot buy, the company cannot thrive.
And so, the (not so) brilliant decision to keep interest rates at record lows encouraged borrowing to
the masses to supposedly keep them enslaved for the term of their natural life.

That will not happen. At the moment, unions are unviable because casualisation has rendered them useless.
Nobody is going to pay $700 pa for a service that cannot provide...but just wait.
Wait until the cost of money becomes too great and interest rate rises are unavoidable. Then we're gonna see some fire.

Then we'll see the rise of the unions (democracy) once again.

If people are out of work and cannot keep up with the mortgage payments that the banks and governments had encouraged, there will be hell to pay.

Beware the democratic voice, it speaks from slavery.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #37 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:58am

It's simple math that an interest rate rise of .5% in our current climate will be far more devastating than a 1% rise in the times of 17% interest rates.
..Not even withstanding the difference between the number of lenders now hocking themselves with "pie in the sky" investment properties compared to the relative trivial amount 20 or 30 yrs ago.

When interest rates rise, we're buggered. I'm OK because I can buy at other's misfortune, but it's not gonna be pretty.

The call for unionism will be loud once again.

Really, there is no such thing as a "Union" per se', until it is required. Then it is merely a democratic force for the like-minded masses. Challenge the opinion of the masses at your peril.

Johnny coward put it in place, then did a runner with his ample pension. He has much to answer for that asshole.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2018 at 2:12am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:44am

Brendon wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 11:30pm:

I was just saying to the chaps at the Chamber of Commerce (member 23 years) the other day, it would be a better idea for a worker to come into my office and talk directly about his wages. No interference outside groups trying to sir up trouble.

Unions tried one on late last year for a pay rise. But we couldn't afford it. After 5 days of the dispute we organized a lockout. See how the bastards like no pay over Christmas, I said. Ha! The board was with me one hundred percent. Every member.

I don't like these strikes, though. Holds up business. I'm always glad to hear the unions getting sued over stuff like that. Glad there's a law for it.

But yes, unions are bad.

I suspect your post is a joke.

I hope so.

You start off by saying that workers should not be "part of groups like unions".

Then, you go on to say that you're a member of the Chamber of Commerce (a business union), and have been for 23 years.

You're a funny guy   Grin

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #39 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:47am

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

Wouldn't you say, greeg?

I would probably agree.

However, I know a few filthy lying grubs that were in the ADF.

Does that mean we should label all ADF personnel - past, present and future - as filthy lying grubs?

I was talking about you greeg.

I have no doubt many members of the ADF amused themselves by telling you lies, it's called contempt greg.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:54am

Amadd wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:58am:
It's simple math that an interest rate rise of .5% in our current climate will be far more devastating than a 1% rise in the times of 17% interest rates.

What a joke you are. Did you have a mortgage at that time? Did you struggle with it? It meant making sacrifices.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #41 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:01am

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:44am:

But yes, unions are bad.

I hope so.

You start off by saying that workers should not be "part of groups like unions".

Then, you go on to say that you're a member of the Chamber of Commerce (a business union), and have been for 23 years.

X 2 - I was going to comment the same thing only I don't see the humour..

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:04am

Dnarever wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:01am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:44am:

But yes, unions are bad.

I hope so.

X 2 - I was going to comment the same thing only I don't see the humour..

Well, it was such a ridiculous post that I thought it must have been satirical.

"No interference outside groups trying to sir up trouble."

Yet, he's a member of a business union.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #43 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:09am

lee wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:54am:

What a joke you are. Did you have a mortgage at that time? Did you struggle with it? It meant making sacrifices.

The 17% didn't apply to mortgages - they were capped at 12%. The Banks refused to loan at 12 % so there were not many home loans for the full amount given out. The banks allowed hybrid loans where they would loan a capped amout as a home loan and filled the gap with 17% personal loans.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:14am

Dnarever wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:09am:
lee wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:54am:

The 17% didn't apply to mortgages - they were capped at 12%. The Banks refused to loan at 12 % so there were not many home loans for the full amount given out. The banks allowed hybrid loans where they would loan a capped amout as a home loan and filled the gap with 17% personal loans.

However lots of people couldn't pay their mortgages.
There was also lack of competition and flexibility back then.

These days when someone hits hard times they can do creative things like refinancing with a longer term on IO to get them thru a tight spot.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print