Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Homelessness Growing Worse In Australia (Read 2196 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Homelessness Growing Worse In Australia
Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:00am

Homelessness growing worse in Australia, census data shows   Sad

ABC News
March 15 2018

The number of homeless people in Australia jumped by more than 14,000 — or 14 per cent — in the five years to 2016, according to census data which also reveals a "significant" increase in older women on the streets and a growing group living in overcrowded accommodation.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said 116,000 people were homeless on census night in 2016, representing 50 homeless people per 10,000.
The facts on homelessness:   Sad

Tonight 116,427 will be homeless
    That's a 14 per cent increase in homelessness over 5 years
    Every day, 250 people are turned away from crisis centres across the country
    Homelessness increased in NSW, VIC and QLD
    There was a slight decline in the NT

Homeless people include those sleeping on the streets, in cars, at crisis centres and in overcrowded accommodation.

Paul Jelfs from the ABS said the number of women over 65 who had become homeless in the five years to the 2016 census was significant.

"This is probably related to things like domestic violence, social relationship breakdowns and economic status, where they just don't have enough money to support themselves, or sufficient superannuation," he said.

The statistics also showed people aged between 20 to 30 made up a quarter of all homeless.

"There's some really significant overcrowding in that space," Dr Jelfs said.

About 8,200 people across the country will be sleeping on the streets tonight, Dr Jelfs said, not including those in crisis accommodation or sleeping in cars or elsewhere.

The figures were no surprise to Jenny Smith, the chair of Homelessness Australia.

"[What] these figures tell us is what we know; homelessness is getting worse in Australia," she said.
The 'invisible homeless'

The ABS said the number of people staying in overcrowded places had seen one of the biggest increases.

The 2016 figure was up from 2011 by about 10,000, taking the number of people in overcrowded accommodation to 51,000.

"We're seeing severe overcrowding in homes where we would need to see an extra four bedrooms in a house to accommodate everyone properly," Dr Jelfs said.

Ms Smith said people in overcrowded accommodation were the "invisible homeless".

"We can see [homelessness] all around us with the rough sleeping that we see in all our cities and towns and, while it has grown, it's only 7 per cent of the problem," she said.

"These figures tell us that more people are sleeping on couches, have uncertain tenure in housing centres and are quadrupled up in severe overcrowded houses."

She said more needed to be done to increase affordable social housing.

"The costs of renting, paying the bills and putting food on the table just don't add up," Ms Smith said.

VincentCare Victoria chief executive John Blewonski called for a national strategy to address homelessness.

"We've seen a range of responses by state and local governments but the reality is we need a joined-up strategy," he said.

"We need that led by the Federal Government stepping up to the plate and really responding to a national strategy that can get the sort of stock on the ground that we need to house the people we've been talking about today," he said.

"We're certainly aware of crisis — people living in housing crisis, the rough sleepers we see on the streets — but the significant numbers that stand behind those numbers are people who are in need of long-term, safe accommodation which can only be addressed through a national housing strategy."
Living in car 'embarrassing'

John Koutsintas is one of Australia's many homeless.

He sleeps in his car and uses the Ozanam Community Centre in North Melbourne regularly so he can have a shower and eat a sandwich made by volunteers.

"It's frustrating. It gets cold, it gets hot. I can't move the car so I get parking tickets. It's embarrassing," he said.   

His car has been his home since his relationship broke down almost a year ago, and he is waiting to get into public housing.

"I'm at the top of the list and it's still a two-year wait," he said.   Sad

"I can't really get a job because I don't have clothes and I have to come here just to have a shower."

He said he had been a car detailer for 25 years and he hoped he would be able to get work once he had a fixed address and a roof over his head.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Homelessness Growing Worse In Australia
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 11:28am

Yeah and too young for a pension . . . .shame australian politicians!

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 1:26pm

Homelessness Growing Worse In Australia

Solution is simple;

I would advise all those who are homeless to declare themselves to be refugees. Housing will then be found for them.

As refugees arrive in Australia, what will they get?

Housing

Australia’s Humanitarian Settlement Services (HSS) program gives support to refugees on arrival, and throughout their initial settlement period, including finding accommodation and sourcing basic household goods such as kitchen equipment linen.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/when-refugees-arrive-in-australia--this-is-wha...

We are a generous nation  Smiley Wink Grin Roll Eyes

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 9:38pm

Quote:
The statistics also showed people aged between 20 to 30 made up a quarter of all homeless
...a good case for national service....

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:22pm

With all that running around in the last two years, John Koutsintas should have applied for a job or two.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 6:56am

The worst problem seems to be older people that are homeless. This should not be happening. They certainly arent able to get jobs from that position.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:42am

What's wrong with the sons and daughters of Australia not looking after their elderly parents? Our wealth and status obsessed society is definitely bringing about the death of the Australian family.
Hammer.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:53am

Well, while i am looking after my mum, i can see why most would not be able to. It costs a lot in time and money.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:30am

So, it's the standard progressive solution then Borg. Make the tax payer foot the bill for the f#@k ups of individuals?
Hammer

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:09am

Whats wrong with them getting whats due? The old generation now worked all their lives and paid into the pension and now it isnt enough to pay rent with. Also a lot of the homeless now are apparently middle aged women who have been looking after their kids and now have no skills for higher paying jobs that allow you to pay rent.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:24am

An older person who has worked his entire life has received compulsory super contributions for the last twenty five years.  Between that, welfare, public housing, emergency services and the family; it's never enough. That's good I suppose;  I'm thinking of promoting up from working to skiving full-time, so I'll need the welfare increases, too.
Hammer.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:43am

CAMPERS, CARAVANERS - GROWING BETTER IN AUSTRALIA

...meanwhile in a better part of the country, away from the crappy cities of stupidity. Campervaners, Caravaners, Grey Nomads, BackPackers and all-round Happy Tenters are enjoying the 'Homeless' lifestyle.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:53am

Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:24am:
An older person who has worked his entire life has received compulsory super contributions for the last twenty five years.  Between that, welfare, public housing, emergency services and the family; it's never enough. That's good I suppose;  I'm thinking of promoting up from working to skiving full-time, so I'll need the welfare increases, too.
Hammer.

Super hasnt been there long enough for it to be enough for an older person who is now retired. It isnt "welfare" anyway since the pension was paid into by taxes.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:57am

Jasin wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:43am:
CAMPERS, CARAVANERS - GROWING BETTER IN AUSTRALIA

...meanwhile in a better part of the country, away from the crappy cities of stupidity. Campervaners, Caravaners, Grey Nomads, BackPackers and all-round Happy Tenters are enjoying the 'Homeless' lifestyle.

Maybe. I have some friends who decided to retire and become grey nomads. After retiring from work they gave up their cheap flat on the gold coast and bought a bus to live in. Just about to leave when one of their parents became sick and needs looking after. Now they are stuck on the gold coast looking for somewhere to park every night. Not able to get a decent job (because of age) one has gone to driving taxis to try to supplement their income.

I am sure their story isnt unusual.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 12:41pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:42am:
What's wrong with the sons and daughters of Australia not looking after their elderly parents? Our wealth and status obsessed society is definitely bringing about the death of the Australian family.
Hammer.

Who knows what their circumstances are. Maybe they are estranged from their family. maybe they don't have a family.

The barnacle

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print