Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uber in WA (Read 1235 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Uber in WA
Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:07pm

Seems the WA Government is beginning to wake up to the monster it let it the door, and it is now trying to retake ground.  If any of these intentions come to fruition, there goes Uber in WA, and other States will follow.

Their drivers clearly are employees.

Link.

Quote:
THE State Government might declare war on Uber’s business model by bringing gig economy contractors under WA’s industrial relations system.

In a submission to the Senate inquiry looking into the future of work, Industrial Relations Minister Bill Johnston reveals former Industrial Relations Commission president Mark Ritter is reviewing the definition of employee in State IR legislation “with the objective of ensuring comprehensive coverage for all employees”.

Mr Ritter is also investigating whether gig economy workers could be brought under the State’s IR umbrella, the submission says.

Any such move would apply to ride-sharing giant Uber and online platforms, such as food-delivery app Deliveroo and local services marketplace Airtasker, and force them to pay insurance, worker’s compensation and potentially award wages.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Uber in WA
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:35pm

I don't know how those Uber drivers make any money.

It costs about $7 or $8 for a trip to the city from my place in an Uber.

It costs $7 just to sit in a taxi.

(No, I don't have an account - I travel in Ubers with friends).

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:37pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:35pm:

The drivers are not making money and neither is Uber which has burned almost $B11 in nine years (World wide,) and not once made a profit.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:44pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:35pm:

The drivers are not making money and neither is Uber which has burned almost $B11 in nine years (World wide,) and not once made a profit.

Crazy.

Everyone I know uses them here.

Can't remember the last time I was in a taxi.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:51pm

Assuming they survive.....as soon as they have wiped us out (if they manage that) they will have to recover those losses, and they will beat the schit out of their 'customers.'

This is a Trojan Horse.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:58pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
Assuming they survive.....as soon as they have wiped us out (if they manage that) they will have to recover those losses, and they will beat the schit out of their 'customers.'

This is a Trojan Horse.

Yeah.

I know it's coming, that's why I don't have an account.

I just give cash to the people I'm with.

There's no way I'm giving my credit card details to a company that openly admits to breaking the law.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:29pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:58pm:

This is a Trojan Horse.

Yeah.

There's no way I'm giving my credit card details to a company that openly admits to breaking the law.

Its actually Paypal
They seem to make money do about 20 odd $9 jobs that might be enough for them.
I use it all the time and get better service Sydney Cabs do set a low bar !

you You half-baked human scum!

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:31pm

This is a Trojan Horse.

Not really they seem to be smashing the Taxi industry. At some point they will have to adapt or die.
The only competition I see to Uber are the other Uber like players now showing up.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:36pm

Smiley Yuck

Swan Taxis cab driver caught doing a poo in Leederville park

A Perth woman was left shocked and disgusted after she stumbled upon a taxi driver taking a dump on a park verge in Leederville on Tuesday.

According to the Perth Voice, the woman was walking her dog when she spied a Swan Taxis cabbie squatting down on a patch of grass on Burke Street near the Britannia Park tennis club at around 9.50am.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/swan-taxis-cab-driver-caught-doing-a-poo-in-le...

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:56pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:29pm:

This is a Trojan Horse.

Yeah.

Its actually Paypal

Jayzuz....are there no limits on what is tolerated?

Come on!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 2:16am

I don't think its Uber or Taxi that is the problem.
It's really the 'City' populace behaviour.
Seems big cities just provide poor behaviour and people from both Worker & Customer angles.

I work 'Taxi' - not in a big city. Customers from the Big Cities tell me a lot of stuff, especially when the question comes up about 'no Uber' in my area. It boils down to poor professionalism by Industries and Customers alike.
As a 'worker' I would have to have a 'club' with me and sit inside a 'bubble' for self protection (in the big cities) and customers would have workers trying to rip them off at any (desperate) opportunity for the extra dollar.

Got told tonight (by Sydney couple) how Uber (and other) try to pump out 'surcharges' on top of fares and even how Cabbies in Sydney try to cash in with 'surcharges' (B/S fees) blaming Uber, etc. All of them 'scamming' customers who are also abusive and dangerous in their own ways.

It's the 'desperation' of city living that 'drives' the poor professionalism and consumerism attitudes.

Of course, yes - Uber is like Tiger Airlines or 'Jetstart' etc.
You get what you pay for and that's an industry that has thrived on the 'cheap Asian labour' or 'USA wage for Tips' style.
Of course, once you're 'hooked' onto Uber, they will of course jack the price up considerably. Like Gas prices give no real advantage over petrol anymore.

I will admit that Customers win with Uber. But Uber workers miss out heaps.
Taxi workers win, but Customers lose a bit - especially if Taxi's are not providing a higher 'quality' of service.

Mind you - 95% of my customers feel happy with the Cab service I'm in and don't whinge about that extra 10c, but nor do I 'press the button' as soon as they open the door either and I 'give tips' just like I receive them. No need for 'desperate' measures where I work.

So just face it - it's Big City living that's the real problem.

I welcome Uber. Competition is a good thing all round. Keeps 'complacency' away and monopolisation. Taxi's now have to provide a better service to justify their more expensive cost. Uber should pay their workers better (which means increased costs and thus have to raise fares).
Soon, if Uber survives - it will just be like another Cab company.

I wish to thank all my customers tonight, even the local aboriginals - who gave me 'tips'.  Smiley

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:11am

Aussie wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:56pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:29pm:

This is a Trojan Horse.

Yeah.

Its actually Paypal

Jayzuz....are there no limits on what is tolerated?

Come on!

I was receiving random misguided insults from this grub so I am respecting the style and returning the same.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:15am

Jasin wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 2:16am:
I don't think its Uber or Taxi that is the problem.
It's really the 'City' populace behaviour.
Seems big cities just provide poor behaviour and people from both Worker & Customer angles.

I work 'Taxi' - not in a big city. Customers from the Big Cities tell me a lot of stuff, especially when the question comes up about 'no Uber' in my area. It boils down to poor professionalism by Industries and Customers alike.
As a 'worker' I would have to have a 'club' with me and sit inside a 'bubble' for self protection (in the big cities) and customers would have workers trying to rip them off at any (desperate) opportunity for the extra dollar.

Got told tonight (by Sydney couple) how Uber (and other) try to pump out 'surcharges' on top of fares and even how Cabbies in Sydney try to cash in with 'surcharges' (B/S fees) blaming Uber, etc. All of them 'scamming' customers who are also abusive and dangerous in their own ways.

It's the 'desperation' of city living that 'drives' the poor professionalism and consumerism attitudes.

Of course, yes - Uber is like Tiger Airlines or 'Jetstart' etc.
You get what you pay for and that's an industry that has thrived on the 'cheap Asian labour' or 'USA wage for Tips' style.
Of course, once you're 'hooked' onto Uber, they will of course jack the price up considerably. Like Gas prices give no real advantage over petrol anymore.

I will admit that Customers win with Uber. But Uber workers miss out heaps.
Taxi workers win, but Customers lose a bit - especially if Taxi's are not providing a higher 'quality' of service.

Mind you - 95% of my customers feel happy with the Cab service I'm in and don't whinge about that extra 10c, but nor do I 'press the button' as soon as they open the door either and I 'give tips' just like I receive them. No need for 'desperate' measures where I work.

So just face it - it's Big City living that's the real problem.

I welcome Uber. Competition is a good thing all round. Keeps 'complacency' away and monopolisation. Taxi's now have to provide a better service to justify their more expensive cost. Uber should pay their workers better (which means increased costs and thus have to raise fares).
Soon, if Uber survives - it will just be like another Cab company.

I wish to thank all my customers tonight, even the local aboriginals - who gave me 'tips'.  Smiley

Beyond the poor service the taxi industry uses an outdated over regulated business model that seems to serve no one ..... Uber has caused the fake valuations on Cab licenses to crash so the industry has let itself down by every measure and their customers.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:31am

Aussie wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:07pm:
Seems the WA Government is beginning to wake up to the monster it let it the door, and it is now trying to retake ground.  If any of these intentions come to fruition, there goes Uber in WA, and other States will follow.

Link.

Quote:
THE State Government might declare war on Uber’s business model by bringing gig economy contractors under WA’s industrial relations system.

In a submission to the Senate inquiry looking into the future of work, Industrial Relations Minister Bill Johnston reveals former Industrial Relations Commission president Mark Ritter is reviewing the definition of employee in State IR legislation “with the objective of ensuring comprehensive coverage for all employees”.

Mr Ritter is also investigating whether gig economy workers could be brought under the State’s IR umbrella, the submission says.

Any such move would apply to ride-sharing giant Uber and online platforms, such as food-delivery app Deliveroo and local services marketplace Airtasker, and force them to pay insurance, worker’s compensation and potentially award wages.

Actually if they paid award wages and got insurance etc (in other words did the right thing) they might make some actual money out of it instead of all the money being made by paypal.

the only reason uber made it in the door at all is because the taxi services were so bad and expensive to get into. Anyone can drive uber apparently.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 7:01am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:31am:
Aussie wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 5:07pm:

Link.

Quote:

Actually if they paid award wages and got insurance etc (in other words did the right thing) they might make some actual money out of it instead of all the money being made by paypal.

the only reason uber made it in the door at all is because the taxi services were so bad and expensive to get into. Anyone can drive uber apparently.

Spot

Paypal just makes a fee for service as does those POS machines inside Taxi. paypal might even be cheaper ..... have you ever had a merchant account with such a device ? Do you think they are free ?

Uber is getting a larger piece of the pie then paypal, as it is with the Taxi Industry.

I hear all these dumb attacks on Uber but most it is out of pure ignorance especially from Aussie who does not understand why Uber works.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print