Send Topic Print
This really sucks (Read 322 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
This really sucks
Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:25pm

IMHO, kids in this situation should be given absolute priory and given quality accommodation even if it means turfing junkies on the street.

Housing stress pushed Tykara Lang into homelessness at a time when most teenagers' lives are defined by the stress of preparing for HSC exams.

Ms Lang, 19, was seeking new accommodation after living with her grandmother whose lease expired when she moved into an aged-care facility, and as the teenager's HSC trials were coming up.

She was able to find temporary accommodation but in less than ideal circumstances.

"It was a rough arrangement. I was doing my half-yearlies for the HSC and living in a [place mainly for] people for drug and alcohol problems, which I don't [have].

"But a bed had just opened up."

Ms Lang found help from Mission Australia after looking them up online. The organisation provided her with a case worker and advocate who found her new temporary accommodation in the inner-city she shares with one flatmate.

Despite the challenges she faced in year 12 Ms Lang has recently started studying nursing at TAFE and has secured transitional accommodation she shares with one housemate while she studies.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/homelessness-in-nsw-jumps-by-more-than-30-pe...

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: This really sucks
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:33pm

I dont know why its getting worse??...

cant we live together anymore???....I had a rather wayward granddaughter live with me for years..

she was always falling off the back of the truck  I never once refused to take her in..... she let me down years ago and she lets me down today   but I never ever turn her away... how can anyone let someone live on the streets I do not know......

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:42pm

cods wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:33pm:

cant we live together anymore???....I had a rather wayward granddaughter live with me for years..

she was always falling off the back of the truck  I never once refused to take her in..... she let me down years ago and she lets me down today   but I never ever turn her away... how can anyone let someone live on the streets I do not know......

It happened to me for a while and my schooling was very disrupted, shtt happens.

I have a little used studio downstairs in my house but I bet to offer it I'd have to jump thru a million hoops.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 1:00pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:42pm:
cods wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 12:33pm:

It happened to me for a while and my schooling was very disrupted, shtt happens.

I have a little used studio downstairs in my house but I bet to offer it I'd have to jump thru a million hoops.

sorry to hear that gordy   you were one of the lucky ones   you didnt fall through the cracks.. did you have some help along the way?.....

as for renting out a place   it is a mine field...

this is off topic but I have a daughter who is finding it so difficult to move on from something that has happened to her....its been 18 months now  an d no I dont expect her to forget it and carry on just like that...but she has such mood swings it scares me a bit.. highs and lows...I think she will end up in the depths of depression....she basically wont talk about it to me.. but I do feel she should have counselling  however she refuses....when they talk about HELP out there....its mainly for youth and drugs or addictions as it should be... but so many people cant or wont help themselves...... to find the perfect counsellor is like looking for a needle....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print