Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Donkey burgers.. (Read 1058 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Donkey burgers..
Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:47am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/sydney-eatery-selling-do...

I WASN’T horsing around this week when I ate a donkey burger at a modest northern beaches Chinese restaurant.

At first glance there is nothing memorable about the Huoshao King in Manly Vale but they say it is the only place in Australia to serve donkey meat.

Their dish, called Donkey Huoshao (rrp $6.80), is a burger consisting of donkey meat served in a Chinese pancake style bun.

And before making an ass of yourself by turning up your nose, it should be pointed out that it is a traditional Chinese dishPrior to entering the Huoshao King I had never sampled donkey meat before — not that I was aware of anyway. And my only previous encounter with a donkey was at a bar in Tijuana, but that is a story for another time.

Restaurant manager Yanyan Xiao said since the dish was added to the menu on Monday they have been selling 30 burgers a day, the majority to Chinese customers and some to inquisitive locals.

While I was there another customer made a 40 minute trip to get a donkey burger and took another five away with him.

“Donkey is really very popular in northern China and we come from northern China. It is street food people really like,” Xiao explained.

“No one open this business in Australia so we want to try this.So many people know some people who want to eat (donkey) and live in Australia so we think there is a huge market here.”

The restaurant sources their meat from the Northern Territory where there is a huge population of donkey which are having a major impact on the environment.

There is a big market in exporting donkeys to China where there is a saying: “In Heaven there is Dragon meat, on Earth there is donkey meat.”

And Xiao said: “I am really curious why people don’t eat donkey meat before.”

The meat is cooked overnight in a secret blend of herbs to tenderise the belly and legs which are used in the burger that is placed in the pancake.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Donkey burgers..
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:04pm

I have eaten there ages ago, not that though it looks like a very traditional Asian joint.
Good on them using a resource that is a pest.
The French think horse is a delicacy.
Chinese also eat dog as many other countries.

A lot of foreigners are shocked to find out we eat Skippy here.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:13pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
I have eaten there ages ago, not that though it looks like a very traditional Asian joint.

Don't eat the 'money meat' in China.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:31pm

well I dont..nor emu or crocodile or possum or donkey Sad

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:38am

I often see goat meat for sale in restaurants. Goat curry in particular. This is a good sign. I've met people who hunt wild goats in national parks. If there was enough money in it they could probably get them all.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:57am

cods wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:31pm:

well I dont..nor emu or crocodile or possum or donkey Sad

Well done cods.      [p.s.   NOT a pun.     Smiley   ]   

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:20pm

freediver wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:38am:
I often see goat meat for sale in restaurants. Goat curry in particular. This is a good sign. I've met people who hunt wild goats in national parks. If there was enough money in it they could probably get them all.

Goat meat for curry is the best, better than sheep and I really like sheep meat.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Donkey bugers..
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 6:34pm

What?

IBI

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:21pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:20pm:

Goat meat for curry is the best, better than sheep and I really like sheep meat.

I agree about Goat.  Excellent in Rogan Josh (done the traditional way).

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm

goats can be pets in Australia   I couldnt eat it  but realise it is traditional in some cultures...I dont like game meat..

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:48pm

cods wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm:

goats can be pets in Australia   I couldnt eat it  but realise it is traditional in some cultures...I dont like game meat..

Goat tastes like a gamey version of sheep. Very common in Indian dishes because sheep is hard to get and cow is sacred. Goat is delicious in curry, as others say.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:53pm

Nom de Plume wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:48pm:
cods wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm:

Goat tastes like a gamey version of sheep. Very common in Indian dishes because sheep is hard to get and cow is sacred. Goat is delicious in curry, as others say.

so I have been told    but it would be like eating a pet....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:00pm

We had a pet calf when we were growing up. We ate it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:43pm

freediver wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
We had a pet calf when we were growing up. We ate it.

In the New Guinea highlands it's the way of life, children bring up pigs as pets and they are eaten. Not to worry, new pets are acquired.

We gave out pet food animals names that would acclimatise the kids. Our sheep was called Cassy(Casserole), rabbit called Stewart, etc. I can't remember off the top of my head the duck's and chook's names.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:58pm

I'll do a CODS and just have a whinge anywhere I please.  Cheesy just to be 'everywhere'.

As I can't post in Feedback.
I'll hijack this Topic.

Redmond Neck has got a surge of 'power' now as Mod and is jumping around accusing anyone he can have a go at.

If it's not me 'stalking Freedumb'  Roll Eyes. He should be banned for making such a stupid accusation. In reality, he would have copped a chop to the throat.

Then he's accusing Setanta of working for Aussie like a biatch and being Monk Forum.
I'm surprised he hasn't yelled at Gordon for being a member there - as being an 'Anti' PA-Black Orchid Forumer.

What's with these people from PA 'Sewer'?
If OzPol members don't agree with them, don't want to be a member there or agree 'once' with Aussie on something - they all go nuts and accuse everyone of being 'Anti'-them and attacking them.  Roll Eyes

This is got to stop FreeDiver
You need to spank your little kids from your little PA site on the side.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print