Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Veterans outraged - bands cut from Anzac Day March (Read 4410 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Re: Veterans outraged - bands cut from Anzac Day March
Reply #30 - May 6th, 2018 at 2:16pm

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 12:50am:
Vic wrote on Apr 1st, 2018 at 9:13am:
Whilst removing the bands, vintage cars and not allowing children to march may outrage some, I am more "outraged" that the RSL still has a major part to do with this.     I realise the RSL is supposed to be the Organisation that looks after Veterans but looking at circumstances in QLD, NSW, VIC, SA and also I find, TAS where Directors, Presidents and a host of Management Staff have helped themselves to the RSL Coffers to fund their own lifestyle, I believe the RSL should just be allowed to whither and die.      

Last year, over 84 Veterans committed suicide, veterans are living rough on the street, RSL Age Care centres are running broke and there is little to no help from this Organisation because the cry is that "there is no funds available"

The RSL has lost it's right to represent Veterans - I hate to admit this, but even DVA are now doing a better job - and the RSL is no longer a driving force in anything to do with the Services.     The RSL should lose its charity status, rename itself to something else that is not affiliated with anything to do with Defence and Veterans and just become a social club paying taxes and fees like all other pubs, clubs and hotels.         The Government could then feed that money back into Defence care and look after Veterans.

I think the RSL dropped the ball way back with the Viet Nam Vets and I remember even in my time, being told as a young Airman that I was not allowed in the Wagga RSL.

There are quite a few organisations around the place now looking after the young Diggers and you are right the RSL has maybe not been there to help when they really need. They could do better, but they need to clean up their own mess before they can help anyone else.

In QLD anyway I think the RSL lost touch when pokies where allowed, they used to be all run by volunteers with the old diggers serving the beer  and the Ladies making a good cheep meal in a little besser block building, now the front entrances cost more than the old buildings and not a vet in sight, just a pub with a 6pm recording.....

I am me

IP Logged

stokerjim
Ex Member

Reply #31 - May 8th, 2018 at 6:38pm

AussieAmAndARC wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 8:01pm:
Veterans need to get their frigging priorities right!

In what way?

IP Logged

stokerjim
Ex Member

Reply #32 - May 8th, 2018 at 6:42pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:39pm:
Why is it that the Military need to rely on Politics, Entertainment venues and other 'non-military' efforts to ...look after them?
Can't the Military look after their own?

Hell, shouldn't the 'green' Military be out helping the Conservationists protect the animals of the world from annihilation ...rather than 'protect' Politics & Religion???

Australian Military sounds like Cops in green outfits, more like it.

The Military run completely under the Orders of the Government of the day.    If the Government of the Day want them to appear at a footy match or in a performance of the Rocky Horror Show, they do it.   The only "thing" the Military depend on is that if they are injured doing the orders of the Government of the Day, they will be financially and medically looked after - the same as any other employee expects

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print