Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dodgy legal (Read 2135 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

dodgy legal
Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:29pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/win-television-mogul-bruce-gordon-hir...

TELEVISION mogul Bruce Gordon has hired new lawyers to sue for the return of millions of dollars allegedly stolen by a solicitor working for his old law firm.

But the man accused of stealing the money, Brody Clarke, is trying to fight a court freeze on the accounts allegedly containing the ill-gotten proceeds, arguing he needs cash to pay his legal bills.

Mr Gordon, the owner of the WIN TV network, has launched civil action in the NSW Supreme Court after almost $10 million was allegedly siphoned from the Bermuda-based businessman’s private company Birketu Pty Ltd by Clarke to fund his gambling habit.

Clarke worked for top legal firm Atanaskovic Hartnell Lawyers, which handled much of Mr Gordon’s business.

Representatives of Atanaskovic Hartnell Lawyers were in court last week as observers but did not comment.

Birketu is also suing Deutsche Bank which managed the accounts from which the money disappeared.

But the court heard Birketu, now being represented by HWL Ebsworth Lawyers, intended to drop claims against Westpac and betting agencies Sportsbet, Tabcorp and Betfair.

HWL Ebsworth Lawyers’ David Stubby told the court: “It (the fraud) all comes about, in our case, due to fraudulent activity via Deutsche Bank and Atanaskovic Hartnell Lawyers.”

The court heard there was still about $1.3 million of the allegedly ill-gotten money sitting in accounts belonging to Clarke.

These include a Westpac bank account in Leura containing $650,000 and a Sportsbet account with $650,000 sitting in it.

Mr Stubby said this money should paid into the court so it could not be spent.

But Clarke’s barrister George Thomas is trying to fight a freeze placed on the accounts by Supreme Court late last year claiming his client needs access to funds to pay for legal bills and “moderate” personal expenses now he is out on bail.

“Even though my client is alleged to be a thief, he may have a better title to a claim on that money than the bank, even though he is a thief,” Mr Thomas told the court.

Clarke is charged with eight counts of fraudulently diverting funds while he was a solicitor with AHL between June 2016 and August 2017.

Police will allege the junior lawyer fooled one of the world’s most prestigious banks into transferring millions of dollars into his suburban bank account by pretending he was borrowing the money for Mr Gordon, who owns regional television network WIN Corporation and has interests in the Nine Network.

Two of the transfers — worth nearly $4.5 million and just over $2.5 million — involved funds held by Deutsche Bank on behalf of Birketu.

Police will allege Clarke pretended he had authority from Birketu and Mr Gordon to transfer the funds.

funny how you are obliged to put your TRUST in Lawyers 

when you are driven   to sue a dodgy legal... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes..

my daughter has recently been caught out by a dodgy legal... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyesnot for money but for work he wasnt doing...leaves a bad taste thats for sure.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: dodgy legal
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:31pm

Poor Gordon

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:34pm

what does that mean gordon??>..have you got someone looking after your money??>....or spending it for you?

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Lawyers have a very bad reputation as scumbags and thieves. The perception is there is only a small % that care for more than just money. That's why firms do pro-bono work, to improve their reputations.

Its all about the money.

But for balance a quick google found this statement.

Paige Andre-Hudson of De Funiak Springs, Fla., wrote: “Why do you think lawyers, as a group, have such a universal reputation for dishonesty? Could it be because the group has a disproportionate number of dishonest members?”
I replied: “I’ve laughed at ‘lawyer’ jokes myself, but when I look at the subject more objectively, I don’t find evidence that attorneys are any less honest than the members of other occupational groups. Maybe one of the reasons they’ve developed that reputation is that their professional ethics require them to go to extreme lengths to defend even the most reprehensible characters in society, and this behavior has received broad exposure since the advent of television in the courtroom. (Note that we never denounce lawyers who defend the best of us.)  Even in less sensational appearances, we routinely see attorneys trying to cast each other as liars, opportunists, and worse. But because it’s part of the standard operating procedure, it doesn’t tell us much about them as individuals. So if we’re going to level ethical criticism and press for change, it makes more sense to target the principles of the legal profession itself, not the conduct of its members.”

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:39pm

Thanks for reminding me Cods.  I know an extremely dodgy legal whom I was intending to report to the Law Society but I just never brought myself to do it.

I don't think lying to a Tribunal should be encouraged.

So far I have done nothing but at least you have me thinking about it again.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:42pm

cods wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
what does that mean gordon??>..have you got someone looking after your money??>....or spending it for you?

I'm glad Mr Gordon has the resources to chase down this scumbag lawyer.

My wife and I are finance savvy enough to look after our finances but I've had a few really rotten lawyers regarding property transactions.

IBI

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:43pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:42pm:

My wife and I are finance savvy enough to look after our finances but I've had a few really rotten lawyers regarding property transactions.

Property transactions are easy enough to do yourself.   Just do the research or pay a conveyancing company that charges a flat fee.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:45pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:39pm:
Thanks for reminding me Cods.  I know an extremely dodgy legal whom I was intending to report to the Law Society but I just never brought myself to do it.

I don't think lying to a Tribunal should be encouraged.

So far I have done nothing but at least you have me thinking about it again.

my daughter has reported what happened to her....18 months of her life wasted...but as we know its

like looking out for like.....

and I am not convinced they like looking too deep into their own...

it is not a nice thing to do...but by golly there are some bad dudes out there....and someone has to stop them...

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:45pm

I put Lawyers at the same level as:
- Real estate agents
- Pension advisors
- Drug Dealers (heavy stuff)

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:47pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:43pm:

Property transactions are easy enough to do yourself.   Just do the research or pay a conveyancing company that charges a flat fee.

Not if there is something dodgy goign on. You really need to a do a through job. I have done conveyancy twice myself... you really need to be on top of your game if there something hiddlen.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:48pm

Super Nova wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:45pm:
- Real estate agents
- Pension advisors

If anyone in my family was ever hurt by criminal who should have been in jail but had a smart arse lawyer who got them off when clearly they were guilty, well lets just say my next move would make a good plot for a Charlie Bronson movie.  Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:49pm

thats now black orchid but wasnt always so...

now we have legals advertising No win No Fee... but what they dont tell you is if you dont win it means you LOSE...and the costs usually go against you in that case..... so its does cost you!!!...

I think that is fake advertising to be honest.....I also dislike the one..

have you been left out of a Will..

seriously  I still havent figured out what the point of a Will is>. Angry Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:51pm

Super Nova wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:45pm:
- Real estate agents
- Pension advisors

thats brutal sn.. what about usedcarsalesmen... Grin Grin

no I am kidding..... but I think you are right they dont have a good record..

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:53pm

cods wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:49pm:

now we have legals advertising No win No Fee... but what they dont tell you is if you dont win it means you LOSE...and the costs usually go against you in that case..... so its does cost you!!!...

That is usually with regard to accident and personal injury claims and they don't even consider taking you on unless they think you have a 90% plus chance of winning.

Then they take about a third of the payout   ...   or more   ...   before disbursements which usually constitute more than another third.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:06pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:53pm:
cods wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:49pm:

That is usually with regard to accident and personal injury claims and they don't even consider taking you on unless they think you have a 90% plus chance of winning.

Then they take about a third of the payout   ...   or more   ...   before disbursements which usually constitute more than another third.

I can believe that! daughters case is Comcare and that is a nightmare . its bad enough without a dodgy legal not working for you. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print