Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Toys r Us. closing
Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:33am

cods wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 6:49am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 6:13am:
Gordon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:38pm:
Jasin wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
Computer Games have replaced 'conventional' Toys.
That's all.

Kids prefer 'Autism' with the 'sit and stare' effect that Com Games provide.

Maybe for suburbs without a beach. Mine and her friends are at the beach surfing every minute they get. Devices are for homework or music only and we don't have any gaming consoles.

Same ours played local rep Rugby its up to the parents to set the agenda.
I have a niece that is 2nd fastest in her district for 200m and 400m.
Our family is full of surfers ...... I am also indirectly related to Dean Mercer (RIP).
Its all about balance and being the parent.

we are still very sport minded..look at the  women cricket and footy...its all happening....as a dad how much time do you spend on your smart phone during the day??????.. Roll Eyes..its mostly adults using phones walking across level crossings not taking their eyes off them to see if anything is coming Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

they are after all toys are they not?....

we are building a new generation of parents  all looking down all talking to someone else not even in the same room... if you try to have a conversation with them   you have to wait until they have finished tapping...

Mobiles were still pretty new and not smart back then but I am not surgically attached to my mobile. I own a big house and I often don't get to the mobile before the caller hangs up.

Yes there are a lot of IphoneZombies out there, on the street I deliberately walk into them as they expect you to get out of their way, its amusing with the shorter ones as often you get get them to smack themselves in the face.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:38am

cods wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:23pm:
personally I blame online shopping...well not entirely  as you say kids prefer these hand held ipads or smart phones these days  which drive me bonkers 

the coming generations are all going to be looking at the ground as they age... its hideous and  turning people into ignorant rude silent people......

but I feel for those losing their jobs....I didnt realise it had been around for 70years..

Yes and No ..... I despise lazy people and do people honestly strive to get a job in retail or is it they did not plan their career ? I guess some maybe naturals at it but for most its just a job. If that is your attitude towards you working life the sure you will be a victim of your own methods !

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:47am

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:22pm:
I thought they closed down years ago.  Shows you how many toys I buy    Shocked

There was another big toy chain that went bust here but I cannot remember the name.

These days when I have to buy toys its either online or a Kmart about 2km down the road. There use to be a Toys are Us about 20 minutes away but that closed ages ago and the site is being developed into a good sized block of flats.
This shop was also close to Warringah Mall (infested by Rooty Hills Budgey smugglers exposing themselves)  which is full of toy stores ..... add online into that the stores days were numbered. I am the same we have a Niece / Nephew hitting their teens soon ..... the rest are high teens or adults right now so barely go to toy stores right now. Plan ahead and most we do online, saves time and $$ ..... a trip to the mall can take 2-3 hrs or boredom.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:09am

cods wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
gone bust in Amerika.....taking Oz with it..

all those about to lose their jobs ! Sad

so sorry... Cry

30,0000 people will lose their jobs.

#MAGA

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:29am

Marla wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:09am:

so sorry... Cry

#MAGA

it will also affect manufacturers and well as transport..... really worldwide as well.....really sad for those affected..

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:32am

cods wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:29am:

so sorry... Cry

#MAGA

it will also affect manufacturers and well as transport..... really worldwide as well.....really sad for those affected..

Doubt it its just a retailer.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:41am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:32am:

so sorry... Cry

#MAGA

885 stores  39 stores in OZ.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 9:01am

It's a combination of online shopping and the emergence of computer games- I cant remember the last time I have actually bought an actual toy for any of my kids- it was always the latest comp game which I bought on line because it was cheaper and a better selection- they really cant compete with what is offered online and if you dont live in a city you do pay through the hip pocket- local business here struggle to compete with online stores- price wise or the selection available- and the convenience- online purchases are delivered to your door-
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:22pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:01am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:47am:

There was another big toy chain that went bust here but I cannot remember the name.

These days when I have to buy toys its either online or a Kmart about 2km down the road. There use to be a Toys are Us about 20 minutes away but that closed ages ago and the site is being developed into a good sized block of flats.
This shop was also close to Warringah Mall (infested by Rooty Hills Budgey smugglers exposing themselves)  which is full of toy stores ..... add online into that the stores days were numbered. I am the same we have a Niece / Nephew hitting their teens soon ..... the rest are high teens or adults right now so barely go to toy stores right now. Plan ahead and most we do online, saves time and $$ ..... a trip to the mall can take 2-3 hrs or boredom.

My daughter was never really into toys as such, more activity based stuff. With the baby whose nearly 1, I just hit Vinnies when I'm passing thru nice suburbs and load up on books and toys that cost next to nothing. When I'm finished with them they go back to Vinnies to be resold Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:06am

toys only go up to the age of about 5 after that they are very canny and want what everybody else has..

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:13pm

cods wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:41am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:32am:

so sorry... Cry

#MAGA

885 stores  39 stores in OZ.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And if they close their stores market share gets absorbed by others its the cycle of capitalism failure is part of the process. You can not cherry pick it or expect the economy to be continually expanding.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:21pm by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:01am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 7:47am:

My daughter was never really into toys as such, more activity based stuff. With the baby whose nearly 1, I just hit Vinnies when I'm passing thru nice suburbs and load up on books and toys that cost next to nothing. When I'm finished with them they go back to Vinnies to be resold Smiley

Sounds like a good idea I see modern parents pandering to kids way too much.
The TV I am watching now sits on a small TV unit I bought at Vinnies for $15.
I am quite a handy carpenter and have bought stuff at Vinnies and done it up to look like new.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:47pm

As a kid, my favourite Toys were my Grandparents.

Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:48pm

Smiley

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:50pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:48pm:

Smiley

At least it wasnt the other way around

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print