Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restaurant Sector Calls For Minimum Wage Free (Read 855 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Restaurant Sector Calls For Minimum Wage Free
Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:45am

Restaurant sector backs call for minimum-wage freeze   Sad

The Australian
    March 15, 2018

Restaurants and cafes have backed retailer calls for a zero pay increase for the nation’s lowest-paid workers, claiming challenging economic conditions justify a minimum-wage freeze.   Shocked

Restaurant and Catering Industrial, representing 45,000 restaurant, cafe and catering businesses across the country, said a significant minimum-wage rise would jeopardise employment growth.

The call for a wage freeze mirrors the push by the National ­Retail Association and, if granted, would represent a pay cut for minimum-wage employees, given the inflation rate.   Sad

In a submission to the Fair Work Commission, RCI criticised the past two annual increases awarded by the tribunal, describing last year’s $22.20-a-week rise as “overreach”. “RCI ­argues that the prevailing economic conditions do not warrant any increase in the minimum wage,’’ it said.

Jane Liu, who has run the boutique Hair Additions in an arcade off the Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne’s CBD since 1994, backed a minimum-wage freeze. “If you don’t freeze it, Australian young people will lose their jobs. There is no chance for them to find these jobs,” she said. “With rent going up, wages going up, we make nothing. Six years ago it was no problem. We had people, we gave them a pay rise, big bonuses at the end of the year, because the business made money. But now we don’t make money. We can’t ­afford to hire staff anymore.”

ACTU secretary Sally McManus said the “retail bosses union” was demanding no one gets a pay rise. “Have they worked out who buys their stuff?’’ she said. “Workers can’t spend money they don’t have.”

Master Grocers Australia, whose members included IGA, FoodWorks, Bottle O and Mitre 10, called for a maximum below-inflation increase of $7.60 a week.   

“Increases in labour costs associated with wage increases in ­recent years have been borne by small businesses as opposed to their large counterparts (eg Coles and Woolworths) whose operations are governed by enterprise agreements with favourable penalty rates,’’ it said.

“If independent retailers need to cope with an unreasonably high wage increase they will have no choice but to ­implement measures such as staff reductions, and the employment and allocation of more shifts to juniors in preference to senior staff members. There would also be an increased risk of redundancies or, at the most extreme, store closures.”

Along with the Australian Chamber of Commerce and ­Industry, the Australian Retailers Association called for a 1.9 per cent, or $13.20-a-week rise, in line with inflation. The shop assistants union said the call for no increase was a slap in the face for hardworking employees.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Restaurant Sector Calls For Minimum Wage Free
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:51am

A wage freeze is not the answer.  People should get a fair pay rise.   Sad

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:08am

whiteknight wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:51am:

That is one of the toughest business sectors to operate in the stats are very bad ..... if your such an expert in stuff you just cut and paste why not start a restaurant and go figure it out your self.

You say fair what does that mean ?
Wage growth is at a snails pace so its fair they get little or nothing !

You such a shallow character that just bleats irrelevant rubbish !

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:10am

They wonder why people join unions.  Go figure.   Sad

IP Logged

Brendon

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:39am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:08am:

That is one of the toughest business sectors to operate in the stats are very bad ..... if your such an expert in stuff you just cut and paste why not start a restaurant and go figure it out your self.

Tough, eh? They should close down their businesses, stop bleating about how tough things are - and find something that makes a bit more profit.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:42am

The catering industry says that every single time it comes up. Seriously there are still plenty of cafes.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Brendon

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:54am

^ Too many cafes, in fact.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:10am

Brendon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:54am:
^ Too many cafes, in fact.

Absolutely ..... too many that make crappy coffee ..... only about 1/3 actually succeed, yes its self interest but for sure they are right to say no to a wage rise.

You can always tell the ones that make nicer coffee, last year I spent 7 months on the road, when I get to a place I don't know the first question I ask is where is the best coffee.

I am a certified barista ...... when I did the course with about 30 people I was the only one who did not work in the hospitality industry ...... I was shocked to see a lot the people doing the course did and were clueless about coffee ..... some did not even like coffee ...... Coffee has a nice aroma that even people who don't like it like the smell. Make bad coffee and your cafe is done !

With minimum wage argument you need sustainability, retail is getting smashed by online, hospitality is a tough business sector ..... wage growth overall is low as is inflation ....... no way should they increase it at all let alone $50 / week. That would be job destroying !

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:15am

Its not the wages that are the problem. Its the electricity.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:19am

Brendon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:39am:

Tough, eh? They should close down their businesses, stop bleating about how tough things are - and find something that makes a bit more profit.

That is what I would recommend to most thinking about opening a cafe, with the Hipster crowd out there that even makes it tougher ..... when I make coffee at home many say you should start cafe ..... absolutely not. I have helped out a cafe owner with some business advice and technical issues, he gave me an education of the industry ..... what he does he buys failing cafes gets them working in a year or two then sells them ..... in between he acts as consultant helping owners to not screw up in the first place. He lives off the dynamics of the industry and has no illusions about continuity !

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:21am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:15am:

Spot

You can cut staff but not electricity ..... sorry your wrong with a $50 / week rise that would be more likely.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:15am by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:32am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:21am:

Spot

Yiu can cut staff but not electricity ..... sorry your wrong with a $50 / week rise that would be more likely.

Exactly the point - you cant cut electricity - rent also. Businesses pay per sqfoot

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:47am

Brendon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:39am:

Yes, that's pretty well what is likely to happen. Pushing any cost, including wages above the market clearance rate only subdues demand. Wages growth is only sustainable in the long term with productivity growth.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:16am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:32am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 7:21am:

Spot

Yiu can cut staff but not electricity ..... sorry your wrong with a $50 / week rise that would be more likely.

Exactly the point - you cant cut electricity - rent also. Businesses pay per sqfoot

Spot

For a successful coffee shop you definitely need exposure (not the kind you get arrested for) high rent is almost a given.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print