Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Road Rules many do not know (Read 3038 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Road Rules many do not know
Reply #30 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:43am

miketrees wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:30pm:
I am living in a ghost town.

It has streets and houses but no people (well bugger all) I found myself not indicating at a corner,,,, made me shudder.

I got better.

A question on road use.

Two cars coming in opposite directions to a stop sign.

One car is turning left the other turning right.

Who has right of way?

Usually the one turning left, but what if the one turning right has stopped and the one turning left has not stopped yet.

If the one who has already stopped does not have right of way,,,, why have stop signs, just use give way signs?????

Stops signs are meant to make you actually stop as they consider the intersection more problematic but yes stopping may not make it safer. Concurrent events can be confusing especially at roundabouts.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:33am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:03pm:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/motoring/car-advice/statistics-show-hundreds-a...

I was surprised I knew most of these rules

The one I partially did not know:

— Motorists, passengers and cyclists must not lead an animal, including by tethering the animal to the motor vehicle.

I see that one broken all the time, big fast dogs can travel much faster then a human, not sure how you would exercise them properly otherwise.

That's true, Right. Dog sleds break this rule all the time.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #32 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:36am

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:33am:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/motoring/car-advice/statistics-show-hundreds-a...

— Motorists, passengers and cyclists must not lead an animal, including by tethering the animal to the motor vehicle.

I see that one broken all the time, big fast dogs can travel much faster then a human, not sure how you would exercise them properly otherwise.

What are the rules for roadside defecation in Karnal, Karnal?

IBI

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #33 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:24am

A metre gap for cyclists seems to be one people forget all the time. And its always someone in a Hilux or similar ute.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #34 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:29am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:24am:
A metre gap for cyclists seems to be one people forget all the time. And its always someone in a Hilux or similar ute.

Actually I'm noticing the vast majority of people being extra careful and leaving a gap around cyclists.

The other day however I had a taxi beep me from behind because I was going slow as passing a cyclist on a narrow road would have meant either a 10cm gap or a 1m gap and a head on with a car coming the other way.

He needed the schit smacked out of him.

IBI

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:04am

Gordon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:29am:

Actually I'm noticing the vast majority of people being extra careful and leaving a gap around cyclists.

The other day however I had a taxi beep me from behind because I was going slow as passing a cyclist on a narrow road would have meant either a 10cm gap or a 1m gap and a head on with a car coming the other way.

On the bus I saw a Taxi slam into another Taxi in North Sydney yesterday .... I said two taxi's crashing into each other how ironic..... half the people on the bus laughed ..... seems a lot think the same about them. Was pretty good hit we all could hear it on the noisy bus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #36 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:08am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:04am:
Gordon wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:29am:

On the bus I saw a Taxi slam into another Taxi in North Sydney yesterday .... I said two taxi's crashing into each other how ironic..... half the people on the bus laughed ..... seems a lot think the same about them. Was pretty good hit we all could hear it on the noisy bus.

Yesterday I saw a taxi pull in front of a scooter on Oxford St. The poor rider was on Ps and didn't react well, she got all out of control and crossed onto the wrong side of the road.

It was a miracle she didn't get killed by an on comming car.

Taxi driver needed the schit smacked out of him.

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:45pm

miketrees wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:30pm:
I am living in a ghost town.

It has streets and houses but no people (well bugger all) I found myself not indicating at a corner,,,, made me shudder.

I got better.

A question on road use.

Two cars coming in opposite directions to a stop sign.

One car is turning left the other turning right.

Who has right of way?

Usually the one turning left, but what if the one turning right has stopped and the one turning left has not stopped yet.

If the one who has already stopped does not have right of way,,,, why have stop signs, just use give way signs?????

All stop signs are also give way signs.

A person turning left always has the right of way even if the car turning right has got to the stop sign first.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:49pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:33am:

It's not a dog sled without dogs now is it?

Hardly relevant here ey?

How about Goat carts, horse drawn carriages?  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:50pm

Yeah mainly the cyclists.

re: the hilux or similar ute ....BS.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:52pm

Valkie wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:52am:
I particularly like the rule that says if you walk away from your car without locking it you can be fined.

This is the level to which our Lord's and masters have sunk.

Don't chase criminals, chase the people with money to pay fines.

Why do you think they have all these holiday speed blitzes???

Because the grubberment know that WORKERS take time off and will pay the fines

Whereas, normal bunnies driving around have a much lower cash revenue recovery because many are too broke to pay fines.

It's all about the cash, nothing else.

Don't break the rules, and you get to keep your cash.

Simples!

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #41 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:53pm

Gnads wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:50pm:

Ummm how can the cyclists maintain a gap with a far faster moving vehicle. And in my experience, its the dickheads are always driving hiluxes.

Not saying all hilux drivers are dickheads, just that all dickheads seems to be in the hiluxes.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 2:05pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:53pm:

Ummm how can the cyclists maintain a gap with a far faster moving vehicle. And in my experience, its the dickheads are always driving hiluxes.

Not saying all hilux drivers are dickheads, just that all dickheads seems to be in the hiluxes.

By getting as far to the left as possible, riding in the designated bike lanes or bike paths where they are provided instead of on the road proper.

the gap between the bike & car is determined by the passing car of course but that can be assisted by the bike rider .... especially on narrower roadways.

I don't drive a Hilux .... but I do drive another make of 4x4 ute. Tongue

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 2:08pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
Valkie wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 4:52am:
I particularly like the rule that says if you walk away from your car without locking it you can be fined.

This is the level to which our Lord's and masters have sunk.

Don't chase criminals, chase the people with money to pay fines.

Why do you think they have all these holiday speed blitzes???

Because the grubberment know that WORKERS take time off and will pay the fines

Whereas, normal bunnies driving around have a much lower cash revenue recovery because many are too broke to pay fines.

It's all about the cash, nothing else.

Don't break the rules, and you get to keep your cash.

Simples!

window_001.jpg (6 KB | 10 )
window_001.jpg

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 2:18pm

Gnads wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 2:05pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 1:53pm:

By getting as far to the left as possible, riding in the designated bike lanes or bike paths where they are provided instead of on the road proper.

the gap between the bike & car is determined by the passing car of course but that can be assisted by the bike rider .... especially on narrower roadways.

I don't drive a Hilux .... but I do drive another make of 4x4 ute. Tongue

Again in my experience they do that (but I'm waiting for the inevitable comment about riders riding side by side)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print