Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Unions Push For $50 A Week Minimum Wage Increase (Read 2201 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Unions Push For $50 A Week Minimum Wage Increase
Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:55am

Unions lobby for record $50-a-week increase to the minimum wage    Smiley     
Sydney Morning Herald
12 March 2018

The union movement will push for a record $50-a-week pay rise for the lowest-paid workers in this year's minimum wage case, with ACTU leader Sally McManus declaring low wage growth is "pushing our economy off course".

But the peak employer group is calling for below-inflation pay rise of just $12.50 per week, arguing businesses are under pressure.   Sad 

Ms McManus will hand deliver the peak body's 7.2 per cent claim - which would increase the full-time minimum wage to $744.90 a week, affecting up to 2.3 million people  - to the Fair Work Commission on Tuesday.

“With record low wages growth holding us back, penalty rate cuts kicking in and bills and rent rising faster than ever, there has never been a better time for a big pay rise for Australians,” Ms McManus said.

“Low wages growth is pushing our economy off course. It’s not just working people saying
that - the Reserve Bank and Treasurer Scott Morrison agree."

The claim is part of the ACTU's campaign for a "living wage", which would see the minimum wage brought up to 60 per cent of the median wage. It is the biggest claim the unions have submitted under the Fair Work system.   Smiley

About 200,000 Australians are paid the minimum wage directly but it affects pay rates for a further 2 million award-reliant workers.

The Australian Industry Group's submission argues for a modest wage increase of 1.8 per cent, below the December quarter inflation of 1.9 per cent.

"An excessive increase would reduce the job security of low paid workers and reduce employment opportunities for the unemployed and underemployed," Ai Group chief executive Innes Willox said. "Businesses are under pressure."

In its submission, the ACTU is likely to emphasise that growth in the Australian economy is improving but that slow wages growth is still acting as a significant handbrake. It will also argue that previous minimum wage cases have had little effect on output, sales or employment in the most impacted industries.

It is also likely to point out that profit growth is outstripping wages growth in most sectors, and sound the alarm on the increasing number of households unable to meet their basic expenses and widening inequality.   Sad

Last year the ACTU called for a $45-a-week increase and the umpire delivered a 3.3 per cent $22-a-week increase.

Mr Willox said that increase was "exceptionally high" and this year's increase should be "much more modest."

Commission president Iain Ross said the decision was based on subdued inflation strong company profits and doubts over the link between minimum wage rises and negative employment outcomes.

He conceded the commission may have been "overly cautious" when weighing the business lobby's concerns about the impact on employment in previous reviews - signalling a willingness to deliver bigger increases than in the past.

Last year's increase angered the business community, which had warned that pay increases that were not supported by higher productivity would cost jobs. Employer groups had asked for increases of just $8 to $10 a week.

The ACTU will also ramp up its campaign on Tuesday against the Turnbull government's Ensuring Integrity Bill, legislation that would curb union powers and - with some minor amendments - potentially scuttle the controversial merger later this month of the militant construction and maritime unions.

Workplace Relations Minister Craig Laundy has launched a new lobbying effort to convince the Senate crossbench to support the bill, which Labor and the Greens oppose.

There is particular urgency from the government's perspective because the merger of the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union and the Maritime Union of Australia - approved last week - is due to come into effect on March 27.

The government would need to pass the amended laws through the Senate next week to have any hope of blocking the merger. Under the bill, amalgamations would be subject to a public interest test that would examine lawless behaviour.

Ms McManus said the bill was unprecedented, dangerous and an undemocratic interference with the organisations of working people.

“Working people need more power to be able to negotiate fair pay rises and get good, secure jobs. But this bill does the opposite, handing more power to corporations and political attack dogs at the expense of working people,” she said.   

“It’s an outrageous and dangerous attack on democracy.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Unions Push For $50 A Week Minimum Wage Increase
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:58am

Its not actually outrageous but they know they arent going to get it is why they are starting so high.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:04am

The peak employer group is calling for below-inflation pay rise of just $12.50 per week, arguing businesses are under pressure.   Tongue

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:49am

There is no doubt the Chinese are paying the corrupt unions to use their extortion and sabotage to force Australian industry to close.

The corrupt union push to increase wages for no valid reason whatsoever bears NO relation to the productivity of the workers and is specifically designed to make Australian business uncompetitive with respect to their overseas competitors and to force them to close so the work goes to China.

Of course the GetUp! inspired BlackDay continues with his mindless gloom and doom and blindly parrots the red rag rubbish.

Wages will increase due to supply and demand when business picks up and there is increased competition for hiring staff.

IP Logged

Cereal Killer

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:20am

juliar wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:49am:
There is no doubt the Chinese are paying the corrupt unions to use their extortion and sabotage to force Australian industry to close.

The corrupt union push to increase wages for no valid reason whatsoever bears NO relation to the productivity of the workers and is specifically designed to make Australian business uncompetitive with respect to their overseas competitors and to force them to close so the work goes to China.

Of course the GetUp! inspired BlackDay continues with his mindless gloom and doom and blindly parrots the red rag rubbish.

Wages will increase due to supply and demand when business picks up and there is increased competition for hiring staff.

Mate was that TL;DR or something? Or are you so hard right that ScoMo is a leftist to you? Or haven't you noticed that a lot on the right wing are starting to admit "low wages growth is pushing our economy off course".

Before you judge me please understand, I don't give a f**k what you think.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:42am

Cereal Killer wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:20am:

Mate was that TL;DR or something? Or are you so hard right that ScoMo is a leftist to you? Or haven't you noticed that a lot on the right wing are starting to admit "low wages growth is pushing our economy off course".

So you think artificially attempting to raise them works how ?
Most wages are determined by supply and demand increasing minimum wage while might be noble just drives up costs not wages, it only relates to people on minimum award wages, I think I was on award at one job I had at uni...... 7-11 grave yard shift ... about 30+ years.

Not for it or against it but it needs to be sustainable $50 / week looks OTT but let the experts work it out. As suggested the real figure might be a lot less that they really want.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:44am

When I was in business and I wanted more money,,,, I had to produce more.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:46am

Cereal Killer wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:20am:

ceral killer please stop your flashing avatar......

you dont need to advertise...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:48am

miketrees wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:44am:

people on fixed income   have nothing to bargain with mike   ......  next crook will be wanting $50 more  for those on the dole.. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:48am

Yes that flashing can FRO

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:54am

Well said Cods.  Yes we do need a fair increase for those on the dole.   Smiley   

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:56am

Corn Flakes shouldn't be flashing to draw attention to what a dumb Lefty he really is.

And now attention is on Lefty things how about the Lefties' HERO the Witch from Wales going A over Apex ?

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:02am by juliar »  

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:57am

people on fixed income   have nothing to bargain with mike   ......  next crook will be wanting $50 more  for those on the dole..

Yes I appreciate that.

Like nurses, they can only trade away their conditions once.

I am just setting one circumstance thats constant.
Money has to come from somewhere.

I think our real chance at productivity gain is to get better managers,, not the sort of bullying arseholes that try and pretend they are good managers.

In my last company (Quintis which is in administration) I was able to see two managers working close hand.

Bob was absolutely brilliant, had a happy well managed team and they were very productive.

Geoff was an arsehole who was just a bully, productivity zero, turnover huge.

The higher managers were also to blame for not seeing it.

The bully arsehole managers were dotted all through the business,,, the main reason they are broke.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:00am

miketrees wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:44am:

This is more about context this minimum wage setting is for the lowest award often people entering the workforce for the first time. Along time ago Award wages were the majority, while still significant they are now a minority .... the minimum is a minority inside a minority ..... that said for a small business operator raising such can impact small businesses who often make less than salaried white collar employees ..... many just do it for freedom not the big $$.

Raise it too much small business and bigger ones will employ less, don't raise it, it becomes a struggle especially in major capitals where rents are high ...... its a balancing act at the bottom end that has little to do with over all wage growth but more about looking after low paid workers.

Most of these are transient often just part time workers or uni-students etc gap filling or stepping up the ladder, but many of them are real long term and I guess they need to be looked after. Given wage growth and inflation has been lowish I personally can not see any justification for $50 a week but I will defer to the experts who have all the relevant data in front of them.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:08am

miketrees wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:57am:
people on fixed income   have nothing to bargain with mike   ......  next crook will be wanting $50 more  for those on the dole..

Yes I appreciate that.

Like nurses, they can only trade away their conditions once.

I am just setting one circumstance thats constant.
Money has to come from somewhere.

I think our real chance at productivity gain is to get better managers,, not the sort of bullying arseholes that try and pretend they are good managers.

In my last company (Quintis which is in administration) I was able to see two managers working close hand.

Bob was absolutely brilliant, had a happy well managed team and they were very productive.

Geoff was an arsehole who was just a bully, productivity zero, turnover huge.

The higher managers were also to blame for not seeing it.

The bully arsehole managers were dotted all through the business,,, the main reason they are broke.

unhappy employees   never produce do they....

and good men lose their jobs because of bad management......I guess you can say the same thing about these forums......where good debaters and interesting people get lost because of the bullies..who can we blame do you think?..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I think in the case you mention the managers did see it.. they were told I believe  just too weak to stop it.....

one small comfort.. the bully will also be unemployed..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print