Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SPA affordable food and housing policy (Read 8533 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
SPA affordable food and housing policy
Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:15am

New policy announcement:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/affordable-food-housing.html

The Sustainability Party of Australia has a policy of making food and housing more affordable by removing some of the government restrictions that are pushing up house prices and preventing communities growing their own food.

The housing policy applies to cities with over 1 million people. At the time of writing, this includes Sydney (5.0), Melbourne (4.7), Brisbane (2.4), Perth (2.0) and Adelaide (1.3). The policy divides a city into 3 zones:

Zone 1, inner - within 3km of the CBD (add 500m for every extra million people): All 'community-based' limits to building heights shall be removed.

Zone 2, mid - within 6km of the CBD (add 500m for every extra million people): All 'community-based' limits to building heights shall be removed within 500m of any train station or bus interchange.

Zone 3, outer - beyond 6km of the CBD (add 500m for every extra million people), but within the 'commuter footprint': New housing that it not to standard on certain quality of life or running cost (ie, not safety) measures shall be permitted, provided that the house and land package is worth less than double the value of the unimproved land, and that the property is then encumbered with obligations to inform all potential tenants and buyers that it is substandard, and what the implications are. The properties may not be sold 'off-the-plan'. This policy essentially addresses the problem of uninformed consumers being taken advantage of by informed builders, by informing them rather than the government making decisions for them. The standards may include minimum block size, minimum garden area, thermal and acoustic insulation etc.

As an example, the zone boundaries for Melbourne, with a population of 4.7 million, would be within a 5km and 8km radius of the CBD.

All zones:

For a short dead end street (or the end of a longer one), a narrower than standard road is permitted and encouraged, provided that inclined guttering is installed so that residents can park partially on the footpath. Pedestrians are to be assigned right of way on such streets.

Residents are to be given greater flexibility in planting trees or gardens on the footpath strip in front of their house.

Designated park areas are to be assigned where residents or council may plant food trees. These differ from conventional 'community gardens' in that they are intended to be for trees rather than intensively managed vegetable patches, are intended to be close to people's houses so that they do not have to drive to them, and are intended to be mixed use open space, not fenced off. Council may limit the number of each species of tree, may limit the permitted species to short ones, or may trim the trees to limit height and size (to make fruit such as mangoes easier and safer to access, and to prevent dominance of one tree over a large area). The trees are to remain communal property and no limitations are to apply as to who may pick the fruit, though guidelines may be applied to the quantity taken, and the fruit may not be sold or passed on to a different household. Any expectation of personal ownership or reward for effort is to be discouraged. Use of some fruit may be restricted to immediate, onsite consumption in order to promote sharing or more popular food. However, this is not intended to prevent the picking of unripe fruit such as mangoes - this is in fact encouraged to prevent waste and pest incursions. The parks are to provide a space for the dumping of green waste to be used as mulch.

Councils are encouraged to use the parks as an opportunity to inform the public of the range of food trees that can be grown in the area and to supply seeds for planting at home (eg, with clear labeling of trees). The inclusion of species that are not well known locally or unpopular commercially due to transport and handling difficulties is particularly encouraged. A 'use it or lose it' policy may be applied, whereby trees are removed if the food is left to rot. The food parks are intended to provide an opportunity for social interaction as well as food. Authority and management responsibility may be handed over to local clubs, provided that these basic guidelines are complied with.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: SPA affordable food and housing policy
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 12:16pm

I see you think Sydney lacks tall buildings ?

Again I suggest you actually come to Sydney to dispel some of these myths your perpetuating.

FYI the centre of Sydney is around Homebush, 2.7 million live in Sydney's west so any policy based on CBD will be an ash tray on a motor cycle.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 8:07pm

Did you read the post before responding?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 8:14pm

freediver wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:15am:
New policy announcement:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/sustainability-party/affordable-food-housing.html

The Sustainability Party of Australia has a policy of making food and housing more affordable by removing some of the government restrictions that are pushing up house prices and preventing communities growing their own food.

The housing policy applies to cities with over 1 million people. At the time of writing, this includes Sydney (5.0), Melbourne (4.7), Brisbane (2.4), Perth (2.0) and Adelaide (1.3). The policy divides a city into 3 zones:

Zone 1, inner - within 3km of the CBD (add 500m for every extra million people): All 'community-based' limits to building heights shall be removed.

Zone 2, mid - within 6km of the CBD (add 500m for every extra million people): All 'community-based' limits to building heights shall be removed within 500m of any train station or bus interchange.

Zone 3, outer - beyond 6km of the CBD (add 500m for every extra million people), but within the 'commuter footprint': New housing that it not to standard on certain quality of life or running cost (ie, not safety) measures shall be permitted, provided that the house and land package is worth less than double the value of the unimproved land, and that the property is then encumbered with obligations to inform all potential tenants and buyers that it is substandard, and what the implications are. The properties may not be sold 'off-the-plan'. This policy essentially addresses the problem of uninformed consumers being taken advantage of by informed builders, by informing them rather than the government making decisions for them. The standards may include minimum block size, minimum garden area, thermal and acoustic insulation etc.

As an example, the zone boundaries for Melbourne, with a population of 4.7 million, would be within a 5km and 8km radius of the CBD.

All zones:

For a short dead end street (or the end of a longer one), a narrower than standard road is permitted and encouraged, provided that inclined guttering is installed so that residents can park partially on the footpath. Pedestrians are to be assigned right of way on such streets.

Residents are to be given greater flexibility in planting trees or gardens on the footpath strip in front of their house.

Designated park areas are to be assigned where residents or council may plant food trees. These differ from conventional 'community gardens' in that they are intended to be for trees rather than intensively managed vegetable patches, are intended to be close to people's houses so that they do not have to drive to them, and are intended to be mixed use open space, not fenced off. Council may limit the number of each species of tree, may limit the permitted species to short ones, or may trim the trees to limit height and size (to make fruit such as mangoes easier and safer to access, and to prevent dominance of one tree over a large area). The trees are to remain communal property and no limitations are to apply as to who may pick the fruit, though guidelines may be applied to the quantity taken, and the fruit may not be sold or passed on to a different household. Any expectation of personal ownership or reward for effort is to be discouraged. Use of some fruit may be restricted to immediate, onsite consumption in order to promote sharing or more popular food. However, this is not intended to prevent the picking of unripe fruit such as mangoes - this is in fact encouraged to prevent waste and pest incursions. The parks are to provide a space for the dumping of green waste to be used as mulch.

Councils are encouraged to use the parks as an opportunity to inform the public of the range of food trees that can be grown in the area and to supply seeds for planting at home (eg, with clear labeling of trees). The inclusion of species that are not well known locally or unpopular commercially due to transport and handling difficulties is particularly encouraged. A 'use it or lose it' policy may be applied, whereby trees are removed if the food is left to rot. The food parks are intended to provide an opportunity for social interaction as well as food. Authority and management responsibility may be handed over to local clubs, provided that these basic guidelines are complied with.

For what purpose?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 8:21pm

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 8:28pm

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I have no idea what the housing crap is about, and the food/trees thing is kumbaya stuff.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:20pm

Would you like to take a guess at the purpose of the policy?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:40pm

freediver wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 10:20pm:
Would you like to take a guess at the purpose of the policy?

No.  Why must I guess?  It's not mine to explain or guess at.  Is it yours, Effendi?

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 5:56am

freediver wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 8:07pm:

Yes I did and is basis is flawed go fix it and stop perpetuating myths, you might be proud of it looks like turd to me.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 8:29pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 5:56am:

Yes I did and is basis is flawed go fix it and stop perpetuating myths, you might be proud of it looks like turd to me.

I know you are going to try and bite me for saying this Fred but could you use some punctuation so as to make it easier to read your posts? You've lead me to believe you are educated and to pass through uni these things would be required. I'm not saying this because of this one post, it's serial and hard to read.

Quote:
Yes I did and it's basis in my opinion is flawed, go fix it and stop perpetuating myths. You might be proud of it but it looks like a turd to me.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 8:50pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 8:29pm:

I know you are going to try and bite me for saying this Fred but could you use some punctuation so as to make it easier to read your posts? You've lead me to believe you are educated and to pass through uni these things would be required. I'm not saying this because of this one post, it's serial and hard to read.

Quote:
Yes I did and it's basis in my opinion is flawed, go fix it and stop perpetuating myths. You might be proud of it but it looks like a turd to me.

No freedope is not worth the effort

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 9:08pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 8:50pm:

Quote:

FD is not the only one reading it. Do it for the greater good of the membership and the English language. If even that is a bridge too far, look at it as enhancing your message.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 9:23pm

I can understand how restrictions push up housing costs.

I dont want to have Australian cities that look like shanty towns tho.

As for growing food, not many people can grow it cheaper than  the farmers are,,, the price hike comes from the middle persons. (see what I did there, cut out the sexism)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 10:37pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 9:08pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 8:50pm:

Quote:

FD is not the only one reading it. Do it for the greater good of the membership and the English language. If even that is a bridge too far, look at it as enhancing your message.

He would have to read the post in order to mount a coherent criticism of it. A bit like Aussie, who cannot even guess what it says. In the other thread it appears that his favoured solution is for the government to build brand new cities from scratch, like the Chinese do. He could tell that my ideas were wrong by counting cranes on the skyline.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1520244851/68#68

Quote:
As for growing food, not many people can grow it cheaper than  the farmers are

I grow it, and charge myself nothing for it. It's almost as fun as killing my own food. The proposal is for free food. All it takes is for the government to get out of the way and allow it to happen. I can tell you that it already happens to some extent, but it is always working against the government. I was once even threatened by my local councillor over this sort of thing (in the politest possible way, of course).

Quote:
I dont want to have Australian cities that look like shanty towns tho.

I don't think many Aussies want to live in a shanty town either, and unless we become destitute for some reason, it is not going to happen. But, some people genuinely struggle to afford conventional, over-regulated housing. People in the city get the same minimum wage as people in smaller communities, but they pay a lot more for rent and have to spend a lot more time and money getting to work and back. Is it really such a bad idea to give them an informed choice of lower quality housing?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:17am

Paw freediver has dived in and hit his head on a snag!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print