Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
How I escaped from Islam's sexual slavery (Read 11665 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
How I escaped from Islam's sexual slavery
Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:21pm

How I escaped from Islamic State's sexual slavery

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-07/how-i-escaped-the-islamic-state-terrorists/9406286

In a small village of Kojo in northern Iraq, Farida was living a "simple" life, harbouring dreams about the one thing many Western teens see as interfering with their daily life — school.

"We didn't have that big of dreams. My big dream was to continue school to become a maths teacher," she told the ABC.

Later, that very school would forever be stamped in the villagers' memories as a place where their families were murdered.

Born into a family of four brothers and a father who worked for the Iraqi Army, Farida developed a quality she later associated with saving her life.

"The reason that I tried to keep strong was, my father inspired me and said, 'you are strong and I'm sure you will be strong, doesn't matter when and how'," she said.

She now thinks he might have foreseen what was looming — after all, the Yazidis had been persecuted many times before.

And sure enough, on August 3, 2014, Islamic State (IS) militants surrounded the villages near Mount Sinjar.

While hundreds of thousands of Yazidis fled into the mountains where many of them later perished, for the residents in Kojo it was desperately late — IS had already started blockading the nearby villages.

What began as a negotiating campaign to turn the Kurdish religious minority into Muslims ended in genocide.

Men, women and children were taken to the school where they were robbed of their valuables and executed.

She lost her father and all but one brother — she didn't know it then, but he had survived by pretending to be dead among the corpses.

Farida's mother was captured by the militants and the 17-year-old was taken to a slave market in Mosul.

Sold as a sex slave

IS militants grouped slaves into three categories: virgins who were sold as sex slaves and generated income for the caliphate; young women with small kids; and women with older kids and elderly women, who did manual labour.

Teenage Farida's body was sometimes sold, sometimes "gifted" to IS soldiers.

"I have been in many different places when I was in captivity, but most of them, they were the same," she said.

They were markets for Yazidi girls. They [IS soldiers] were selling Yazidi girls and giving them as gifts and raping them again and again.
"I have seen all these things.

"They sold me without money also."

An indication of how far the IS stronghold's tentacles spread — among her buyers were militants from Libya in northern Africa.

Failed escapes lead to torture

During four months of captivity, Farida tried to escape twice from the "military prison-like" buildings. Each failed attempt resulted in torture, leading to seven suicide attempts.

"They were always beating me, and in Syria one day they beat me much more than on other days. Even now some of my friends — the ones who were in captivity with me — say, 'we will never forget how they were beating you'," she said.

All the while, Farida pretended not to speak Arabic.

"One of the reasons was, I didn't want to communicate with them to reveal information when they asked me questions — because of my family," she said.

"Also, I didn't want to read the Koran.

And when they were talking to each other, I pretended I didn't understand Arabic because I wanted to see what they were going to do and what they were going to plan.
And then one day, a Muslim man from Farida's region told the soldiers Yazidis in her village did speak Arabic and she was "lying and cheating".

With her disguise fading and two other imprisoned girls recently killed, she panicked.

"When I was watching how they beat younger girls, aged eight and nine, and they were raping many other girls, beating them, that was giving me more strength to escape and be their voice," she said.

Finding a path to freedom

One day, Farida found a phone where a SIM card hadn't been removed and called her uncle.

"When I called my uncle and told him I'm Farida, he told me, 'no, Farida is not alive'. He just cancelled [the call]," she said.

"Then I called him again and told him, 'no, it's me, I'm alive,' until I led him to believe that I'm alive."

Emotively, she started plotting one more escape.

It was something utterly trivial, a negligent act, through which she regained her freedom.

They thought they had locked the door, but it was actually open," she said.

That night, at 1:00am she and five other girls ran out of the compound in Syria.

Anxious the militants were going to track them down, the girls walked all night and hid in the valley — until they saw a house.

"I told my friends, 'I'll go and see at the house if they can help us," she said.

"If the family in the house is also with IS, I will not come back. Don't come to the same house and follow me."

But one of the girls interjected: "You have helped me all the while, and I will not let you go alone."

The family in the house helped them flee, but her escape highlights the more sinister, financial motives of some who assisted the IS captives.

"They helped us, but we paid them later," she said.

Nowhere to call home

Farida, like many former IS sex slaves, found herself alone in a refugee camp in Iraq — freed but nothing to return to.

There, she met Professor Jan Kizilhan, the head of a German refugee program — the Special Quota Project — which has seen psychological treatment and visas granted to 1,100 former IS slaves.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: How I escaped from Islam's sexual slavery
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:03pm

There have been many occurrences of sexual slavery in Islam in modern times. We all know about Boko Haram but there is also the Sudanese civil war.

The Govt in Khartoum allowed the northern militias to take slaves to be taken as war spoils in lei of payment.

All allowed under their good book.

Slavery in Sudan began in ancient times, and recently had a resurgence during the 1983 to 2005 Second Sudanese Civil War. During the Trans-Saharan slave trade, many Nilotic peoples from the lower Nile Valley were purchased as slaves and brought to work elsewhere in North Africa and the Orient by Nubians, Egyptians, Berbers and Arabs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Sudan

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:46pm

Europe and America have spent several centuries trying to stamp out the institutionalised trade in sex slaves in Muslim lands, starting with the Barbary wars. They came close, but never really got the job finished. Now that there is some kind of Islamic revival going on, open and sanctioned markets for sex slaves are showing up all over the place.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:05pm

freediver wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
Europe and America have spent several centuries trying to stamp out the institutionalised trade in sex slaves in Muslim lands, starting with the Barbary wars. They came close, but never really got the job finished. Now that there is some kind of Islamic revival going on, open and sanctioned markets for sex slaves are showing up all over the place.

That's true, FD - right after they created the greatest slave trade in history.

Lucky Mother, eh?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:16pm

Yes Karnal, you have the timeline right. They continued to break new ground on nearly all aspects of global trade for the next few centuries. At the same time they went on to eradicate institutionalised slavery around the globe. Well, almost. Those Muslims seem particularly dedicated to rape and pillage, but we'll get them, in the fullness of time.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:30pm

Karnal, can you go and ask your muslim friends if these muslims are muslims?

IBI

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:14pm

Farida is an Islamophobe.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:31am

I never understood why Mr Abbott's comment about ISIS was so maligned. He said ISIS are worse than the Nazis because at least the Nazis tried to cover up their genocide.

ISIS, on the other hand, are proud of it. They don't even have the basic moral compass that points to the murder and slavery of innocent people being inherently wrong.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:33am

freediver wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:16pm:
Yes Karnal, you have the timeline right. They continued to break new ground on nearly all aspects of global trade for the next few centuries. At the same time they went on to eradicate institutionalised slavery around the globe. 

Thanks, FD, but you left out the bit where they conducted the biggest slave trade since the Roman Empire.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:39am

I'm not sure how attempting to cover up a genocide makes a group morally superior to another group who doesn't attempt to cover up a genocide.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:48am

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:39am:
I'm not sure how attempting to cover up a genocide makes a group morally superior to another group who doesn't attempt to cover up a genocide.

It shows that the Nazis understood that the rest of the world would be appalled by their actions.

What reaction do you think ISIS expect?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:04pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:48am:

It shows that the Nazis understood that the rest of the world would be appalled by their actions.

I think they expected a reaction of outrage, and hopeful anticipation that it would lead to a backlash against muslim communities living in the west - which they hoped would lead them to abandon the west and turn against it. Or maybe they are just stupid and trully believe no one will mind. I'm not entirely sure. Either way, I don't think this behaviour sets them apart morally from those who attempt to be secretive and subtle about their atrocities.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:56pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:04pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:48am:

I think they expected a reaction of outrage, and hopeful anticipation that it would lead to a backlash against muslim communities living in the west - which they hoped would lead them to abandon the west and turn against it. Or maybe they are just stupid and trully believe no one will mind. I'm not entirely sure. Either way, I don't think this behaviour sets them apart morally from those who attempt to be secretive and subtle about their atrocities.

I think they're showing how tough they are, and how THIS is what happens when you threaten ISIS.

Either way, it's hardly an offence for Tony Abbott to make a philosophical point on it. He was certainly not minimising the crimes of the Nazis, as was claimed.

He was, however, setting up ISIS as the new enemy of civilisation: the new Nazis, a point on which FD concurs. This, I think, is a tad simplistic. Nazism wasn't a viral, multiracial phenomenon. It didn't transcend borders or attract foreign fighters.

It does now though.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:54pm

Tony Abbott wasn't making philosophical points, he was making political points - specifically to divert attention away from his trainwreck of a budget. No one took issue with ISIS being portrayed as evil bastards - even on a par (or worse) with nazis. But they did take issue with the cynical rank opportunism that Abbott increasingly resorted to to project himself as the 'tough on national security' guy. And it wasn't just ISIS - 'shirtfronting' Putin and his unbelievably stupid plan to send in armed AFP personnel to secure the crash site of MH17 springs to mind. Oh yeah, not to mention stop the boats.

No one should criticise sensible plans to actually do something constructive re. ISIS and the terrorism threat - but most people have wised up and are pretty much over the cynical use of the muslim community as a political football, specifically targeted in order to divide society, rather than do something that will actually help society. Of course FD and co will lap it up and stand on their moral high horses and talk in Churchilian tones about fighting for freedoms on the beaches (as long as they aren't muslim freedoms). But I think most people see past all that - what did I call it? Oh thats right - 'wishy washy western liberalism'

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 4:05pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
Tony Abbott wasn't making philosophical points, he was making political points - specifically to divert attention away from his trainwreck of a budget. No one took issue with ISIS being portrayed as evil bastards - even on a par (or worse) with nazis. But they did take issue with the cynical rank opportunism that Abbott increasingly resorted to to project himself as the 'tough on national security' guy. And it wasn't just ISIS - 'shirtfronting' Putin and his unbelievably stupid plan to send in armed AFP personnel to secure the crash site of MH17 springs to mind. Oh yeah, not to mention stop the boats.

No one should criticise sensible plans to actually do something constructive re. ISIS and the terrorism threat - but most people have wised up and are pretty much over the cynical use of the muslim community as a political football, specifically targeted in order to divide society, rather than do something that will actually help society. Of course FD and co will lap it up and stand on their moral high horses and talk in Churchilian tones about fighting for freedoms on the beaches (as long as they aren't muslim freedoms). But I think most people see past all that - what did I call it? Oh thats right - 'wishy washy western liberalism'

Well, yes. And if I remember rightly, you got into a lot of trouble for that one. FD almost accused you of being tinted.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print