What is Atheism? (Read 48147 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: What is Atheism?
Reply #30 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 8:51pm

Quote:

Adolf Hitler was a Christian

....and the moon is made of green cheese.

But hey,       you are an atheist, so you already knew that!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #31 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:55am

Yadda wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 8:51pm:
Quote:

That's a stupid reply, and I think even you know it.

You would be the first to cite the religion of the Islamic mass-murderers, and so would I, but I am not going to turnaround and say these other fanatics are not what they profess. That is what Islamophobia-theorists use as one of their principal defenses.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 8:50am

I converted from Atheism to Agnosticism quite some time ago.

As an atheist you believe that through reasoned argument you can hypothetically 'prove' the non-existence of a God.

As an agnostic you believe you are 'without the knowledge needed' to argue for or against the proposition that there is a God, and in this regard, everyone on Planet Earth is an Agnostic.

Wishful thinking has no place in arguing the fact of whether there is a Supreme Being or not.

"I believe ... "

"I have faith in the Almighty ... "

These emotional claims all have their basis in the human imagination and its psychology.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #33 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:41pm

Barnacle said.... Quote:

issuevoter wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:55am:

issue,

Not at all [stupid].

I simply associated any person [like Barnacle] who would state that
'Adolf Hitler was a Christian',
with the intellectual dis-honesty of someone who would seek to have others believe,
that the moon was made of green cheese.

And i may say, that       it is stupid of you,      not to recognise that point of argument.

ARGUMENT;
Jesus reputedly called upon men to follow these principles in life;

Thou shalt do no murder.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness.
Honour thy father and thy mother.
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 19:16-19

Yet,      though we know that Jesus reputedly left those admonitions for all men, as principles to follow in life,
Barnacle         would have us believe, that it is a credible statement to make,
to suggest that Adolf Hitler loved the teachings of Jesus [Christ] or that Adolf Hitler was an adherent of the teachings of Jesus [Christ],
and that    'Adolf Hitler was a Christian'.

How absurd,     for atheists like Barnacle,
to seek to associate the human ambitions and human motivations of a human being like Adolf Hitler,
with the moral ambitions [for mankind] of the [historical] personage of [the man] Jesus [Christ].

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 12:47
Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

As per......

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17  And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18  He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19  Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #34 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 9:27pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:41pm:
Barnacle said.... Quote:

issuevoter wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:55am:

issue,

Not at all [stupid].

with the intellectual dis-honesty of someone who would seek to have others believe,

And i may say, that       it is stupid of you,      not to recognise that point of argument.

ARGUMENT;
Jesus reputedly called upon men to follow these principles in life;

Thou shalt do no murder.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness.
Honour thy father and thy mother.
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 19:16-19

Yet,      though we know that Jesus reputedly left those admonitions for all men, as principles to follow in life,
Barnacle         would have us believe, that it is a credible statement to make,
to suggest that Adolf Hitler loved the teachings of Jesus [Christ] or that Adolf Hitler was an adherent of the teachings of Jesus [Christ],
and that    'Adolf Hitler was a Christian'.

How absurd,     for atheists like Barnacle,
to seek to associate the human ambitions and human motivations of a human being like Adolf Hitler,
with the moral ambitions [for mankind] of the [historical] personage of [the man] Jesus [Christ].

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 12:47
Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

As per......

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17  And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18  He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19  Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

You yourself call yourself a christian and come out with some things that Jesus, if he was real, would totally spit the dummy at, your cop out for this is that you are not perfect but forgiven. Perhaps Hitler was not perfect and is forgiven also.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #35 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 10:40pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 9:27pm:

You yourself call yourself a christian and come out with some things that Jesus, if he was real, would totally spit the dummy at, your cop out for this is that you are not perfect but forgiven.

You are correct,    .....probably.

I am a flawed human being.

Guilty.

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."

Forgiven.

Perhaps Hitler was not perfect and is forgiven also.

And if it is true, would it offend you Setanta ?

And, are we [any of us], better than Hitler ?

'From whence come Hitlers among us ?'

"From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts."

We are all guilty before God mate.

All, dirty, and unworthy.

I don't in any sense, seek justification, from my creator.

I seek the healing he offers me.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #36 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 11:04pm

Yadda wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:41pm:
issue,

Not at all [stupid].

Bullsh1t. You thought you were being cleaver, but you had not thought it through.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #37 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 11:16pm

@ Reply #36,

issue,      i assure you, i'm not that cleaver

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #38 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 12:22am

Yadda wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 10:40pm:

You yourself call yourself a christian and come out with some things that Jesus, if he was real, would totally spit the dummy at, your cop out for this is that you are not perfect but forgiven.

You are correct,    .....probably.

I am a flawed human being.

Guilty.

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."

Forgiven.

Perhaps Hitler was not perfect and is forgiven also.

And if it is true, would it offend you Setanta ?

And, are we [any of us], better than Hitler ?

'From whence come Hitlers among us ?'

"From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts."

We are all guilty before God mate.

All, dirty, and unworthy.

I don't in any sense, seek justification, from my creator.

I seek the healing he offers me.

I don't think anyone is "forgiven" by a deity. I don't live my life like I have forgiveness. I live my life like I have to bear my "sins" myself without forgiveness. I bear my own folly and do not expect someone to save me. This forms my decisions, I don't have second chances or forgiveness. Lessons learned from my mistakes sit much more deeply with me than some one that is forgiven and bears no guilt. My decisions therefore are not made lightly. I accept personal responsibility.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #39 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:38am

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 12:22am:
I don't think anyone is "forgiven" by a deity. I don't live my life like I have forgiveness. I live my life like I have to bear my "sins" myself without forgiveness. I bear my own folly and do not expect someone to save me. This forms my decisions, I don't have second chances or forgiveness. Lessons learned from my mistakes sit much more deeply with me than some one that is forgiven and bears no guilt. My decisions therefore are not made lightly. I accept personal responsibility.

That's just the Devil whispering in your ear.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #40 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:35pm

issuevoter wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:38am:
Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 12:22am:

That's just the Devil whispering in your ear.

Damn...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:23pm

Atheism is the word used by the Media/Scientific 'Anti' Religious part of the world, to describe their 'non-believing' of Religion, but their 'lack of' being able to believe in anything else.

They deny there was a Jewish Messiah, that was killed by his Jewish 'people'.
Even though recently, there was a Jewish 'people' killed by their Jewish 'prophet' back in the 1940's.

I wonder what the scientists are going to say about the Moslems changing their ways once a Messiah dies for their sins, out of France?
Explain that ...Science? Tongue
Explain the fundamental 'existence' of Religion itself?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #42 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 6:45am

It is not what atheism is, its what atheism is not.

As a concept and a term, it is the way God-freaks insist you choose one of three. God, what ever that means, No God, or "cannot make up your mind."

I reject all three.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 12:49pm

Atheism needs theistic ideas to give it life. “Some of the most radical forms of atheism,” says John Gray, are indistinguishable from “some mystical varieties of religion”...
more

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #44 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 12:56pm

Yes, well ... I suppose by definition one can't be an atheist without there being theists.

I put it to you that humans are born "atheists" - at least not knowing about "gods" but are then taught about "gods".

The evidence?

If that were not true, then everybody would have the same "god".

Obviously, cultures teach their children about their particular "god" or "gods".

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print