Send Topic Print
What is Atheism? (Read 48148 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
What is Atheism?
Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:18am

Judging by some of the comments on other threads there seems to be some differing opinions on exactly what atheism is.

So what is atheism to you?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: What is Atheism?
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:37am

The_Barnacle wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:18am:
Judging by some of the comments on other threads there seems to be some differing opinions on exactly what atheism is.

So what is atheism to you?

A belief that God does not exist.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:54pm

A disbelief in one more god that monotheists.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 2:55pm

Ask Gordy.

He knows who is and who isn't a Muslim, so he probably knows the answer to your question too.

No word from him yet on whether the Pope is Catholic, though.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:11pm

A definitive answer is difficult, because its a term in the negative, and many of those who profess not to believe in (God?) are not particularly interested in creating a belief system around a simple rejection of what is often presented in a silly way. Often, such people have better things to do with their time than answering unanswerable questions like, "Okay smarty pants, where did the Universe come from then?"

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 3:34pm

non-belief in a god

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:11pm

I think there is more to it that. Atheist do not think that there is a Creator which intervenes in the universe.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:14pm

Let's not confuse MYTHOLOGY with RELIGION
for starters.
Mythology is like a culture creating 'Gods' or 'Soapie Stars' (or Super Heroes as they do in the USA in their 'Cinema' temples) - both entertaining and as fictional characters (although based upon people of the past most likely), to help convey a 'moral' understanding or human learning. Mythology is all that Psychology had dreamed of.

Religion was first created by the Jews. They took the invention of Writing (by the Sumerians upon the Temple of Ur via the inspiration of Sin <aka Moon/Luna> and hence the word 'Sin-Ur' <sinner>) and used it to 'immortalise' their Family Tree - the Jews. By doing so, they became 'exiled' from the 'nature' of everything else as a Bloodline (started by two Jews: Adam & Eve), having sold their souls to 'Writing' and eventually - the Book.
Thus - their future was guaranteed and their past, immortalised ...like Gods.

Now I could go on and elaborate further, but for the quick response to the question.

Atheism came about as a Rebellion against all things 'Religious' (you know - the invention that helped discover the New Worlds, because Science couldn't get its crap together yet  Roll Eyes) and originally ATHIESM didn't really know what it was (which is why the question still remains "What is Atheism?"  Huh ...like a 'tradition') - but it knew that it was totally
ANTI
(against) RELIGIOUS.
These days now though - Atheism is finding itself very 'Pro' as in Pro-Science and basically it is finding its cultural friends with Science, Media and Café Latte Hipsters in black skivys. Celebrities are now the main 'personality' of an Atheist.

...so, for my last input.
Atheist: Someone who comes from the Region of Oceania (Science) and is Anti someone from the Middle-East (Religion).  Wink

Now remember: BOTH Creationism & Evolution are right.
Who said there has to be only 'one' right answer?  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:12pm

"Let's not confuse MYTHOLOGY with RELIGION"  Grin Grin Grin

That's a doozie!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:57pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:12pm:

That's a doozie!

Well the World's experts can tell the 'difference' - why can't you?
Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:10pm

it is the absence of theism, that is, of belief in god/s.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:21pm

Nom de Plume wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:11pm:
I think there is more to it that. Atheist do not think that there is a Creator which intervenes in the universe.

Untrue, I would class myself atheist. I cannot prove a god does not exist and I don't care to, I have better things to do with my life. I cannot prove a teapot does not orbit Alpha Centauri. I see no evidence of it. I just disbelieve in any god that man has come up with. I have disbelief in Faeries, Thor, Odin, Shiva, Ra, El, YWHY, Allah, etc, etc. Monotheists only differ from me in that they believe in one more god than I do.

Edit: Oh, one other way we differ, they would kill for their beliefs, I have no deity to tell me to believe killing others is a good thing.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:41pm by Setanta »  

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:11am

Setanta wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:21pm:

Untrue, I would class myself atheist. I cannot prove a god does not exist and I don't care to, I have better things to do with my life. I cannot prove a teapot does not orbit Alpha Centauri. I see no evidence of it. I just disbelieve in any god that man has come up with. I have disbelief in Faeries, Thor, Odin, Shiva, Ra, El, YWHY, Allah, etc, etc. Monotheists only differ from me in that they believe in one more god than I do.

Edit: Oh, one other way we differ, they would kill for their beliefs, I have no deity to tell me to believe killing others is a good thing.

Hark! We have a linguistic alchemist in our midst, capable of turning a simple statement about what atheist do not think, into a matter of proofs, lacking evidence.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:36am

Nom de Plume wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:11am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:21pm:

Hark! We have a linguistic alchemist in our midst, capable of turning a simple statement about what atheist do not think, into a matter of proofs, lacking evidence.

I can even say, huh?!

Would you like to be more intimately critical of what I said? I would thing god believing had lacking evidence was.. Oh never mind.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:06am

Jasin wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:57pm:
issuevoter wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:12pm:

That's a doozie!

Well the World's experts can tell the 'difference' - why can't you?
Roll Eyes

Experts on what?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print