Send Topic Print
PRIVATE HEALTH SCAM (Read 987 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
PRIVATE HEALTH SCAM
Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:34am

Private Health Insurance is the biggest rip off of government money there is and really needs overhauling.

A good place to start would be to ban people who receive the 30% rebate to cover Hospital Insurance from being hospitalised as public patients. Make their PHI funds contribute to their maximum coverage for each of these public patients visits to hospital.

After all what are we giving them the 30% reabate for?  Shareholder profits it seems  Angry Angry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------

Greens want Labor's help to tackle 'unfair' private health insurance

Exclusive: Di Natale calls for redirection of ‘wasteful and ineffective’ private rebate to Medicare-funded dental care

Labor should work with the Greens to tackle an “unfair, ineffective and inefficient” private health insurance industry, the Greens leader, Richard Di Natale, has said in a letter to the opposition leader, Bill Shorten.

“I believe that we should address these issues together and redirect part of the wasteful and ineffective private health insurance rebate to expand Medicare-funded dental care,” the letter, sent on Tuesday evening and seen by Guardian Australia, says. “A cooperative approach on this significant reform will increase the likelihood of its passage through the Senate.”

During his recent National Press Club address, Shorten accused private health insurers of “treating Australians like mugs, gouging people on the basis of a con”. Rising premiums combined with junk policies has seen complaints by consumers to the commonwealth ombudsman about private health insurance soar. Labor has proposed a short-term 2% cap on premiums to ease financial pressure on families. But in his letter, Di Natale told Shorten this was inadequate and would “only delay meaningful reform”.

On Wednesday night Di Natale, a medical doctor, will deliver a speech on private health insurance costs before an audience at the Sydney Institute. The private health insurance rebate will cost taxpayers $6.4bn this year.

“Far from taking pressure off the public system, the rebate in fact redirects a huge sum of money away from the public system and straight to the bottom line of private health insurance companies,” Di Natale’s speech, seen by Guardian Australia, says. “To put no finer point on it, the private health insurance rebate is the most significant con in the health system.”

“Even if it did work, what do we get for $7bn and rising every year?,” Di Natale will say. “An industry which has treated its customers appallingly, and that year on year sees premiums rising along with profits, while exclusions on policies grow.”

The Greens are calling for a single funding model for private health insurance similar to that proposed by the Australian Health and Hospitals Association (AHHA) for an Independent National Health Authority. In its submission to the Department of Health’s private health insurance review, the AHHA advocated for the removal or better targeting of the private health insurance rebate and called for the savings to be fully redirected into the public health system, including to broaden the list of items covered by Medicare.

“The Australian Greens would abolish the private health insurance rebate, and reinvest that money into service delivery in the public system,” Di Natale will say. “That is where the need is, and that is where the best value is. Let those who want to pay for private healthcare do so, but without the handout from the taxpayer.”

It comes as the federal health minister, Greg Hunt, on Tuesday ordered the Ombudsman to investigate the private health insurer Bupa. It follows a backlash from doctors to Bupa’s announcement that insured patients would qualify for gap cover only if they were treated in a Bupa-approved hospital or medical centre, and consumer anger that 720,000 Bupa policies will be downgraded. A health policy analyst with the Centre for Policy Development, Jennifer Doggett, said the Greens’ proposal reflected a large body of research which had found the private health insurance rebate was an inefficient and inadequate funding mechanism.

“It has led to rampant fee inflation in the private health sector, and this is why seeing a dental hygienist for a teeth clean typically costs more than seeing a GP,” Doggett told Guardian Australia. “The money currently spent on private health insurance subsidies would achieve much better outcomes and benefit many more people if it were used in the public sector.”

Doggett said that a single-payer system would allow for greater control over costs and reduce the inefficiency and fee inflation that results from having multiple, competing insurers.

“I think the key to making this work would be to ensure consumers have a central role in the Independent National Health Authority so that it was not captured by sectional interests, such as the pharmacy sector or medical peak groups,” she said.

“These interests have previously exerted a disproportionate influence on health funding and policy decisions to the extent that our system is really provider rather than consumer-driven. The Greens’ position puts pressure on Labor to declare a stronger position on the private health insurance rebate.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/07/greens-want-labors-help-t...

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:43pm by Redmond Neck »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Re: PHI For once I agree with the Greens
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:23am

Do you think PHI is a scam?

A good place to start would be to ban people who receive the 30% rebate to cover Hospital Insurance from being hospitalised as public patients.

Make their PHI funds contribute to their maximum coverage for each of these public patients visits to hospital.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Re: PRIVATE HEALTH SCAM
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:46pm

So you all think PHI is good value for money?

Bah Humbug!

IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: PHI For once I agree with the Greens
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:50pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:23am:

A good place to start would be to ban people who receive the 30% rebate to cover Hospital Insurance from being hospitalised as public patients.

Make their PHI funds contribute to their maximum coverage for each of these public patients visits to hospital.

Yeah but Red, people are forced financially to take up essentially worthless private cover. When I was a wage slave I did the same and never used it.

Remove the rebate I say.

IBI

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
PRIVATE HEALTH SCAM
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:02pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:50pm:

Yeah but Red, people are forced financially to take up essentially worthless private cover. When I was a wage slave I did the same and never used it.

Remove the rebate I say.

Good idea if they were game to go that far!

Put the savings into Medicare !

Why they allowed for profit funds I will never know!

IP Logged

Gordon

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:07pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:02pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:50pm:

Remove the rebate I say.

Good idea if they were game to go that far!

Put the savings into Medicare !

Why they allowed for profit funds I will never know!

I'd actually abolish private care entirely and allow hospitals to have private and luxury rooms that can be paid for at a different rate.

IBI

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:39pm

What we're doing, we private health payers, is to take the pressure off the crumbling public system to a great extent.
Such as my neighbour that I took to a public hospital last year with a heart problem and sat around for about 8 hours till they saw him. Later I learned all they did was keep him sitting in a chair for 24 hours and then sent him home to see his GP.
If he'd had private cover he would have had the pacemaker he needed within a few weeks instead of about 8 months under the crumbling public system.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:55pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 1:39pm:
What we're doing, we private health payers, is to take the pressure off the crumbling public system to a great extent.

Abolish PHI and invest the subsidies in Medicare and we wont have a crumbling public health system.

In the interim ban PHI people from being hospitalised as public patients unless their PHI contributes significantly to the cost.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:25pm

It's the Private Health Providers that are ripping you off,
not really the Insurances.
These Providers make Mega-Millions Profit every year.
While the cash-strapped Public system gets sued by thousands for providing 'FREE' medical care.

Now you can't tell me that the 'crappy' Private that charges more for offering less and the Public system that provides more but has sweet FA money...
...just shows what a CRAP Country this is and is just as ridiculously pathetic as the USA.
Even the Education System is pear shaped and in Denial here. So much money thrown at it and paychecks and yet the kids are just as pathetically retarded as they were 10-15 years ago. Roll Eyes

Australians laugh at the USA : calling them idiots and issues about guns. Sure - the USA is messed up, but so is Australia!!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print