Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Why I turn off the TV at 7:30pm (Read 1029 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Why I turn off the TV at 7:30pm
Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:49am

Why? well mostly because I hate all this reality TV crap

especially

"I am a celebrity get me out of here"
MKR
Married at first sight

All bloody nonsense shows imo!

Has the nation tired of watching the same thing on a different channel?
By Nathanael Cooper6 March 2018 — 4:59pm

There's a rule in Australian television programming.
If someone has a clever idea, steal it, then beat it to death until no one wants to watch it.

And it seems Australia is finally growing tired of watching the same old stuff rebadged on a different channel.

It used to be the case that programmers would jealously watch the ratings on rival networks then quickly fashion up their own version, put a new name on it, and watch their own ratings climb.

Australian Idol beget The X Factor. The X Factor beget The Voice. MasterChef beget My Kitchen Rules. The Block beget Renovation Rescue (if you remember the latter, congratulations your one of the 11 people who watched it).

'If it works on Ten it will work even better on Seven," one can imagine the boffins shouting at programming meetings.

In recent years you could watch a cooking show or a dating show or a singing show at any time of the year just by pushing up or down on your television remote.
No one seemed to know whether they were watching Matt on MasterChef or Manu on My Kitchen Rules or Mary on Dating the Devil or Marcus on Australian Idol's Got The X Factor.

As long as they were singing or cooking or sobbing after being dumped, people would watch it.

Perhaps Australia woke up from their couch-potato induced daze that overcame them when Osher Gunsberg was still Andrew G because suddenly they stopped watching these half-arsed attempts at stealing another network's ratings.

It began with Nine's foray into cooking with Hot Plate, which was roundly criticised for being a rip-off of My Kitchen Rules.

Then along came The Bachelor, sure, not an original idea from Ten but at least it was new local programming. It was an unbridled success by Ten standards and the programmers at Nine and Seven were like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally and were loudly exclaiming 'I'll have what she's having'.

Faster than Bachelorette fleeing from a dirty street pie schedules were filled with dreadful dating shows. Married at First Sight, First Dates, Seven Year Switch, Bride and Prejudice, there has been so many the internet can't accommodate and exhaustive list.

Some of them have worked, others have failed.

Then along came Ninja Warrior. The Nine fitspo series that became an absolute ratings juggernaut.

Everyone from the Goggleboxers to your mum was obsessed with the format and there was almost a national plebiscite asking for the head of Nine boss Hugh Marks when no one actually won the series.

The climbing chalk had barely blown off Mount Midoriyama before rival programmers were scrambling for their own version they could rush into this year's schedule in the hope of capturing a large slice of the active-wear viewing audience before Nine could bring back the Ninjas.

Hence Australian Spartan. And it was an unmitigated failure.

The series premiered with a meager audience of just 816,000 viewers in the five capital cities, just a bit more than half of the people who tuned in to Married At First Sight.

A week later it had dropped back to 524,00 and Seven took no time in yanking it from the schedule to be replaced by My Kitchen Rules.

There was nothing wrong with Spartan, it was as good as Ninja Warrior as it offered the same inspirational/aspirational viewing that its higher-rating rival delivered.

It's just that people are sick of seeing the same thing on a different channel.

In an environment where nary an original thought passes through a programmer's brain the viewing public have sent a resounding message.

'Do better!'

Seven has resolved to bring Spartan back during the AFL season in a few weeks, so maybe they aren't listening.

But if all the networks continue to peer over the fence like a nosy neighbour, then we can only expect streaming audiences to grow in rapid correlation to terrestrial television viewing as it slides into oblivion.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/has-the-nation-tired-of-watchi...

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Why I turn off the TV at 7:30pm
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:27am

Those reality shows are so bad. Just cheap moneymakers.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:30am

You're so right Red, absolute rubbish, but I wouldn't include Master Chef in that because it really deals with culinary skills.

Apart from the few bright spots from ABC Drama and some old series (but I've seen most of them) on 7TWO and GEM, plus the occasional good doco and European movie on SBS, I mainly watch DVDs.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:40am

OMG so how do you get your fix of Leigh Sales?

IBI

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm

My tastes are very eclectic, and I'm happy to consume Trailer Trash TV, to concerts by renowned artists like Andre Rieu, and docos on Roman history and Getaway, etc.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:22pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:40am:

I gave up watching current affairs & tv news so long ago I can't even remember. I was a junkie once but you'd have to go back to This Day Tonight to find me watching.
It's been the digital print.media for me for a long time.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:25pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
My tastes are very eclectic, and I'm happy to consume Trailer Trash TV, to concerts by renowned artists like Andre Rieu, and docos on Roman history and Getaway, etc.

You'd have a lot in common with Marla then but not I think Andre Rieue. I like Andre. I like the scmalziness of it as well as the professionalism I appreciate as an ex-muso

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:27pm

If you read Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard you will look at TV differently,,,, if you can watch it at all.

Its a very old book 50 or so years on,,, still relevant

http://www.freepdf.info/index.php?post/Packard-Vance-The-hidden-persuaders

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:29pm

Really good tv apparently does not sell product, people use add breaks to do other things.

That is so true, the shows now are so puke ,,, the ads are the best part.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:31pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:22pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:40am:

I gave up watching current affairs & tv news so long ago I can't even remember. I was a junkie once but you'd have to go back to This Day Tonight to find me watching.
It's been the digital print.media for me for a long time.

I PVR everything and then just pick what's of interest.

BTW Bondi Rescue is on at 730 Tuesday. Must see TV Wink

IBI

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:33pm

I don't watch anything live, so that means I speed through the ads at x16.

Just thinking about what we call the reality rubbish, the advertisers wouldn't pour in millions without a big enough audience.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:33pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:25pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm:

You'd have a lot in common with Marla then but not I think Andre Rieue. I like Andre. I like the scmalziness of it as well as the professionalism I appreciate as an ex-muso

I have long since conceded that your tastes in the Arts is a lot more mature and educated than mine, but I'm still more of a documentary viewer than a Movie viewer. I keep a happy balance so that the Trailer Trash side of me is kept amused and entertained just as is the British Private Boarding School side of me.  Tongue

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:35pm

miketrees wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:27pm:
If you read Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard you will look at TV differently,,,, if you can watch it at all.

Its a very old book 50 or so years on,,, still relevant

http://www.freepdf.info/index.php?post/Packard-Vance-The-hidden-persuaders

Read it back then. It was required reading at uni, as was The Waste Makers I think.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:37pm

It explains the knaff tv

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:38pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:33pm:

Just thinking about what we call the reality rubbish, the advertisers wouldn't pour in millions without a big enough audience.

Nor do I EVER watch anything 'live'. I even record what they jokingly call 'The News' so as to watch it later with a finger on the Remote button's Fast Forward. With the amount of commercial breaks, my finger does a jitterbug dance because there are so many interruptions to the National News services. It's like a nervous twitch.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:43pm

They've got wise to us, the way they run their promos in the middle of the ad sequence instead of at the end.
One of the pleasures of life is the avoidance of TV ads.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:46pm

link

Come on, Bogey ~ join with me in singing this Trailer Trash song!

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #17 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:56pm

bogarde73 wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:33pm:

I don't watch anything live

Such a shame that most of the great actors are dead.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 1:11pm

Dnarever wrote on Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:56pm:
I don't watch anything live

Such a shame that most of the great actors are dead.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Except for a few, most of the 'starring' actors of today are B-graders compared to those of yesteryear who had charisma and a certain gravitas that simply isn't there today.

Two of my favourites today are Anthony Hopkins and Denzel Washington. There are others too, but not many.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:01am

Remember about 5 years ago how we were told how wonderful digital TV was going to be once it was fully implemented and the analogue system was completely shut off?

We were lied to - what a surprise.

Reality TV garbage, almost non stop ads, annoying 'pop-ups' while you're trying to enjoy the 3 or 4 minutes of actual program during the aforementioned ads and program advertising next to the station logo at the bottom right hand corner of the screen which stays there for the entire duration of the small sections of actual program between ad breaks.

No wonder so many people have abandoned free to air commercial TV and now watch Netflix, Stan, etc.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the FTA stations if they eventually go broke (Channel 10 and it's associated channels - I'm looking at you for starters). They have brought it all upon themselves.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 6:22am

I prefer to watch Youtube.
You get 10 million channels instead of a few lousy ones full of adverts on TV.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:37pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:49am:

especially

"I am a celebrity get me out of here"
MKR
Married at first sight

All bloody nonsense shows imo!

Watch the ABC then.

Although if the ABC is privatised live the hysterical right wingers and the Murdoch media want then the ABC will no longer be an island of quality programming

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 2:07pm

I miss the test pattern, that was the viewing television ever had to offer.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 2:22pm

Quote:

Yep same here...................... Cool

I generally go for footy or related like talk shows, films and current affairs shows on ABC or SBS.

Only tv serials I've watched lately (last few years) are

Game of thrones

Breaking bad
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2018 at 2:40pm by Ajax »  

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 8:15pm

Johnnie wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
I miss the test pattern, that was the viewing television ever had to offer.

I miss the kangaroo mother putting her joey to bed at the end of the telecasts.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:35am

I miss the national anthem as was.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:47am

My TV is not working at the moment and I have no intention of paying to have the aerial fixed.

Would not have done that 20 years ago.

Things have changed ,TV is losing its power

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:35am

Couldn't do without all the wonderful UK & other European productions to be seen on a screen.

Wouldn't give you jackshit for any of the American crap though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print