Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Choko and passionfruit vines (Read 2296 times)
Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Choko and passionfruit vines
Mar 3rd, 2018 at 6:51pm

Mine are up and running.

Awesome crop coming our way this year.

Might even take a few pics and post them up for you girls to see!

If you want a special mention.....let me know so I can give you one in a pic ok? Cool

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: Choko and passionfruit vines
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:38pm

ok I'm up for that Lisa choko scones delish- good to see Grin good to see you back btw- always quiet when your not around - I become the number 1 suspect for Jasins  Gmod dobbing finger pointing when you are not here- might be nice to get a break or at least share the honour Grin

The weather becoming nicer now and my yard has just has a big clean up- looking good- I want to put in fruit trees this year- dont know where to start though- it will be trial and error as I havent done trees before

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:49pm

My backyard doesn't get full sun so my poor passion fruit vine was barren so I ripped it out.

Love chokos tho.

IBI

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:02pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:38pm:
ok I'm up for that Lisa choko scones delish- good to see Grin good to see you back btw- always quiet when your not around - I become the number 1 suspect for Jasins  Gmod dobbing finger pointing when you are not here- might be nice to get a break or at least share the honour Grin

The weather becoming nicer now and my yard has just has a big clean up- looking good- I want to put in fruit trees this year- dont know where to start though- it will be trial and error as I havent done trees before

Hey you lol.

Missed you girls SO MUCH!!!!!!

I'll get a few shots tomorrow ok?

Now re your garden.....GO to your nearest BUNNINGS store.

That's your starting point.

Ask a horticulturist there for help.

Explain to them your plight.

That means you will need to explain :

1. What you're trying to achieve....what type of plants you are hoping to put into your garden.

2. Make sure they know you are at beginner stage (that way they will take the time to explain things better to you).

3. Make sure you tell them which way your front gardens and back gardens face. Why? Generally speaking here in NSW.....south facing gardens are not easy to work with. North facing sunny gardens are the key to growing heaps of things.

4. Make sure you tell them which parts of your garden are wind prone/shade prone.  NB these areas of your garden will require hardy plants. If severe.....then sometimes large pots are the only way to put anything green in these areas unfortunately.

5. Do what you can to impress the horticulturist who is helping you by letting them know that you wish to take on gardening as a serious hobby. Refer to them by their 1st name and make sure they know yours. Why? After a while.....you will find they will give you secret tips on how to grow and manage your garden by way of free small cuttings which you can strike at home plus they'll give you discounts on plants you like but which you think look a little wilted lol.

I started off this ^^^^^ way.

They know me at my local BUNNINGS store. I'm the gardener who loves the plants that need rehabilitation. I get them for next to nothing.....bring them back to life here at home then take a few shots so I can show these horticulturists how I've rescued the poor plants in question.

Just be careful with these horticulturalist buggers ..... if you show too much interest and skill.....they'll get you to do a Cert IV in Horticulture.

I've just started the course.

So far....it's all about sustainability and bloody legislation!!!!!

Embarrassed Undecided Cry

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:09pm by Lisa Jones »  

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 9:29pm

Forgot to mention......learn to love :

SEASOL

SLOW RELEASE FERTILISER PELLETS (there are different types depending on the plants you have)

SUGAR CANE MULCH

COW MANURE

You just can't succeed in gardening without these I'm afraid.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:43pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 9:29pm:
Forgot to mention......learn to love :

SEASOL

SLOW RELEASE FERTILISER PELLETS (there are different types depending on the plants you have)

SUGAR CANE MULCH

COW MANURE

You just can't succeed in gardening without these I'm afraid.

Some great tips here Lisa- I have the worst soil ever here being desert/seaside etc- so will have to have ph balance testing done as well- so even before I think about which tree to buy I will do some basic ground work- my dad loved seasol and manure/liquid manure- I havent dedicated myself to gardening not really- but I am going to give it a go- get serious about it- I love citrus and stone fruits and vine fruits so have a few ideas to be going on with- I think out here i these summers mulch will be a life saver- thanks for the tips- I might have to get a ground digger to muscle through the hard top layer of soil- if i ever get a half decent garden going will up load some pics-  as soon as the weather gets a bit cooler I will plant my first tree- mean time digging the hole will be funnnnn  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:53pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:49pm:
My backyard doesn't get full sun so my poor passion fruit vine was barren so I ripped it out.

Love chokos tho.

My dream is to be able to grow passionfruit Gordon- my fave fruit bar none- I have too much  sun in this barren god forsaken wasteland that is my yard-

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 5:07pm

one of my first plantings will be an avocado tree- but we need more than one for cross fertilisation I believe

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2018 at 2:48am

With your sandy soil you will need to stake your avocado tree.

Work out where you want it, buy a LOT of compost, dig it in in a 2m radius of where the tree will be then spread thick mulch over the top.

Look for what type you want, some may be self fertile. Do some research—is it worth it or are you better off with a peach or apricot tree, etc. How high will each variety grow?

Research it, doesn’t matter if on US/UK sites, borrow a couple books from the library. Find a reliable supplier, order your tree, plant in August. Does it need shade or what?

Keep adding mulch—it will be consumed by “soil critters.”

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:14am

You should be able to get away with one tree, according to what I quickly looked up.

But do your research.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #10 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:50pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 8:14am:
You should be able to get away with one tree, according to what I quickly looked up.

But do your research.

My dad needed more than one to allow to cross pollination to occur- what is the quickest way to get an avocado tree  to the stage where it will start producing fruit-  I want a Hass variety- this process can take years I've read

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2018 at 2:08pm

See thats where you went wrong

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2018 at 2:23pm

Agnes wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 1:50pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 8:14am:

But do your research.

My dad needed more than one to allow to cross pollination to occur- what is the quickest way to get an avocado tree  to the stage where it will start producing fruit-  I want a Hass variety- this process can take years I've read

Things change, Agnes. A few years ago there was no way I could grow cherries in my backyard. Now there are dwarf trees (rootstocks) and self–fertile varieties.

Don’t set up objections until you have done the research.

Work out where you want the tree, start spreading mulch and compost there.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2018 at 2:41pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 5:07pm:
one of my first plantings will be an avocado tree- but we need more than one for cross fertilisation I believe
Not as long as you have bees around . Avocados can fruit after around 6 years but you will need to damage the stem a little by giving it a slash in early spring at around the 5 year mark to make the tree think it is under threat and start producing. Else you may have to wait 10 years for fruit.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2018 at 6:15pm

No way do you have to wait that long to crop Avos.
Unless you are doing it wrong

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print