Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tasmanian Liberals watering down gun laws? (Read 5574 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Tasmanian Liberals watering down gun laws?
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:44pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:11pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 1:34pm:

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:39pm:

To return the favour, Brian, what has this to do with hunting and fishing? Are you trying to turn this MRB into a political argument on firearms?
Surely you cannot have an opinion on firearms unless you own one.
Perhaps Baron should shunt it off to the Tasmanian politics forum.

Bwian - geddit?????
(no)

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:25pm

To return the favour, Brian, what has this to do with hunting and fishing? Are you trying to turn this MRB into a political argument on firearms? Surely you cannot have an opinion on firearms unless you own one. Perhaps Baron should shunt it off to the Tasmanian politics forum.

Oh, I agree.  However, the Moderator has made a decision, now hasn't he?  What is good for the goose is good for the gander as well, Setanta.   

As for me holding an opinion on firearms, I wasn't aware that you had to own one before you could express an opinion about them.   Where is that in the rules, please?

Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:31pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:25pm:

To return the favour, Brian, what has this to do with hunting and fishing? Are you trying to turn this MRB into a political argument on firearms? Surely you cannot have an opinion on firearms unless you own one. Perhaps Baron should shunt it off to the Tasmanian politics forum.

Oh, I agree.  However, the Moderator has made a decision, now hasn't he?  What is good for the goose is good for the gander as well, Setanta.   

As for me holding an opinion on firearms, I wasn't aware that you had to own one before you could express an opinion about them.   Where is that in the rules, please?

Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

You think? I gave you a reason it belonged here even though it's not up to me what is posted here. Practice is a part of any sport, becoming proficient with firearms is an important part of hunting.

You already imposed that rule upon yourself by saying you could not hold an opinion on something you were not a member of. Are you a member of firearm owners?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:39pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:31pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:25pm:

Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

You think? I gave you a reason it belonged here even though it's not up to me what is posted here. Practice is a part of any sport, becoming proficient with firearms is an important part of hunting.

So did the Baron, Setanta.  He has set a precedent.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
You already imposed that rule upon yourself by saying you could not hold an opinion on something you were not a member of. Are you a member of firearm owners?

Where did I state that about guns or anything other than one particular religion?  Mmmm?   You appear to be taking a particular self-imposed rule and turning it into a general rule for some strange reason.   I wonder why?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:53pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:39pm:
Where did I state that about guns or anything other than one particular religion?  Mmmm?   You appear to be taking a particular self-imposed rule and turning it into a general rule for some strange reason.   I wonder why?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

So it's only a choice you made about one particular religion? I thought you said it quite generic terms. Like (paraphrased)"I can't have an opinion on something I do not follow or believe in".

You do not believe in firearm ownership, you have no right to an opinion. You do not hunt, you have no right to an opinion. You are not a follower of Islam, you can not have an opinion on Islam.

Tut tut, I wonder why you have these double standards.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:35pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:53pm:

So it's only a choice you made about one particular religion? I thought you said it quite generic terms. Like (paraphrased)"I can't have an opinion on something I do not follow or believe in".

Nope. That is not what I said.  It was specific to Islam.

Quote:
You do not believe in firearm ownership, you have no right to an opinion. You do not hunt, you have no right to an opinion. You are not a follower of Islam, you can not have an opinion on Islam.

Nothing double about it in the slightest.  It was an admission - something alien I realise to so many here - of my ignorance about Islam.   I do not believe that all Muslims are liars/bad people/Terrorists/Rapists/etc.  I have known and know too many to believe that.   However, I am quite willing to admit my ignorance about the finer details about their religion, Setanta.   I don't believe in dictating to them something I am ignorant about.   Better to admit my ignorance than not.  FD, Moses, Yadda, Soren, the Baron, etc., refuse to admit their ignorance.  I wonder why?

Politics, guns, Christianity, history, hunting - these are things I do know quite a bit about.  Therefore, I do feel qualified to comment.  Happier now?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:29pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:35pm:
Setanta wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 9:53pm:

Nope. That is not what I said.  It was specific to Islam.

Quote:

Nothing double about it in the slightest.  It was an admission - something alien I realise to so many here - of my ignorance about Islam.   I do not believe that all Muslims are liars/bad people/Terrorists/Rapists/etc.  I have known and know too many to believe that.   However, I am quite willing to admit my ignorance about the finer details about their religion, Setanta.   I don't believe in dictating to them something I am ignorant about.   Better to admit my ignorance than not.  FD, Moses, Yadda, Soren, the Baron, etc., refuse to admit their ignorance.  I wonder why?

Politics, guns, Christianity, history, hunting - these are things I do know quite a bit about.  Therefore, I do feel qualified to comment.  Happier now?

I don't believe they all are either, Brian. I do hold the opinion it's a toxic ideology. Further more I believe all religions are.

Why don't you then endeavour more to learn about Islam and come to a conclusion rather than what you have been doing, denying that it can be criticised?

Why is hunting wrong? Why are firearms bad? Hunting is what brought us what we have today. If we were grass nibblers...

Although you may have some knowledge of firearms and hunting, is it enough knowledge to pass judgement?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 4:57pm

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 5:16pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 4:57pm:

Can you tell us what laws are being watered down or is not consistant with 1996 Firearms act or is this just more fearmongering and bullshit from Shorten ?

NSW allows recreational shooters to have sound moderators why are people butthurt with allowing primary producers in Tasmania to have them?
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1457658362

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm

We don't know, Baron 'cause the Tasmanian Tories are keeping what they intend to do a great big SECRET.   I'd suggest you take your gripes and whinges to them and ask them.  Perhaps you could ask them why they are keeping everything a great big SECRET while you're at it.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:48pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm:
We don't know, Baron 'cause the Tasmanian Tories are keeping what they intend to do a great big SECRET.   I'd suggest you take your gripes and whinges to them and ask them.  Perhaps you could ask them why they are keeping everything a great big SECRET while you're at it.   Roll Eyes

We do know what they're doing Brian they posted it on the Tasmanian Liberals website on 9th Feb 2018 so it's a lie from you and the ABC to claim we don't know. We should sell off the fake news called the ABC there is no cure for your stupidity.

Do you think posting it on the Liberals website is keeping it a secret, if they wanted to keep it a secret why did they post details on a government website?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 7:18pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:48pm:

We do know what they're doing Brian they posted it on the Tasmanian Liberals website on 9th Feb 2018 so it's a lie from you and the ABC to claim we don't know. We should sell off the fake news called the ABC there is no cure for your stupidity.

Do you think posting it on the Liberals website is keeping it a secret, if they wanted to keep it a secret why did they post details on a government website?

Was it posted there, at that date, Baron?

If you'd read it, all your questions would have been answered.  Have you read it?

If that is all they are proposing, my only problem is with Category C firearms and this new Category E form.   I do not see any reason why farmers require semi-automatic firearms.  While Category E is superfluous IMO.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:20pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 7:18pm:

If you'd read it, all your questions would have been answered.  Have you read it?

If that is all they are proposing, my only problem is with Category C firearms and this new Category E form.   I do not see any reason why farmers require semi-automatic firearms. 

Yes it was posted on that date bwian, if you were able to read it then it wasn't a secret was it.

Why did the ABC raise this issue on the eve of an election could they be grubs with a leftist bias?

The 1996 Firearms act allows Primary Producers as defined by tax dept to have semi auto rimfire rifles and semi auto/pump action shotguns, hobby farmers aren't primary producers so not eligible for Cat C firearms.

The 1996 Firearms act also allows clay target shooters to have Cat C shotguns.

The Victorian Police minister and nationals MP who was also a farmer told John Howard farmers need semi auto rimfires, he had to put down large numbers of animals in the 1982 drought.

The UK has tough gun laws yet they allow hunters to have semi auto rimfire rifles with no magazine limits and also allow them to have semi auto shotguns, does the UK have a 10% lower homicide rate compared to Australia?
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:58pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:20pm:

If that is all they are proposing, my only problem is with Category C firearms and this new Category E form.   I do not see any reason why farmers require semi-automatic firearms. 

Yes it was posted on that date bwian, if you were able to read it then it wasn't a secret was it.

Why did the ABC raise this issue on the eve of an election could they be grubs with a leftist bias?

The ABC raised it when they did because that was when they were made aware of it, as I understand it.  There was no bias, just a lack of information from a boring election campaign.  Why did the Tories hide it's detail when asked about it, Baron?  Where they ashamed of it?  Mmmm? 

Quote:
The 1996 Firearms act allows Primary Producers as defined by tax dept to have semi auto rimfire rifles and semi auto/pump action shotguns, hobby farmers aren't primary producers so not eligible for Cat C firearms.

Yet my brother, who is what you describe as a "hobby farmer" does qualify as he is defined by the ATO as a "primary producer".   While I'd trust him to use it sensibly, if he ever bothered to acquire one, I am not so sure about the majority of farmers.   Roll Eyes

Quote:

Why?  Clay target shooters are only allowed two shots at a target AIUI.   Hardly seems sporting to blaze away at a defenceless clay target...   Roll Eyes

Quote:
The Victorian Police minister and nationals MP who was also a farmer told John Howard farmers need semi auto rimfires, he had to put down large numbers of animals in the 1982 drought.

Obviously he had mismanaged his livestock.  Droughts do not suddenly occur, Baron.

Quote:
The UK has tough gun laws yet they allow hunters to have semi auto rimfire rifles with no magazine limits and also allow them to have semi auto shotguns, does the UK have a 10% lower homicide rate compared to Australia?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The UK is a different country to Australia, the last time I checked, Baron.  Remember, we are discussing AUSTRALIA and AUSTRALIAN LAWS.  Not UK ones, not American ones, not Kiwi ones.  Tsk, tsk.   Despite what you claim, the overwhelming majority of Australians accept the Australia Governments' decisions in 1996.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:20pm:

The ABC raised it when they did because that was when they were made aware of it, as I understand it.  There was no bias, just a lack of information from a boring election campaign.  Why did the Tories hide it's detail when asked about it, Baron?  Where they ashamed of it?  Mmmm? 

Quote:

Yet my brother, who is what you describe as a "hobby farmer" does qualify as he is defined by the ATO as a "primary producer".   While I'd trust him to use it sensibly, if he ever bothered to acquire one, I am not so sure about the majority of farmers.   Roll Eyes

Quote:

Why?  Clay target shooters are only allowed two shots at a target AIUI.   Hardly seems sporting to blaze away at a defenceless clay target...   Roll Eyes

Quote:

Obviously he had mismanaged his livestock.  Droughts do not suddenly occur, Baron.

Quote:
The UK has tough gun laws yet they allow hunters to have semi auto rimfire rifles with no magazine limits and also allow them to have semi auto shotguns, does the UK have a 10% lower homicide rate compared to Australia?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The UK is a different country to Australia, the last time I checked, Baron.  Remember, we are discussing AUSTRALIA and AUSTRALIAN LAWS.  Not UK ones, not American ones, not Kiwi ones.  Tsk, tsk.   Despite what you claim, the overwhelming majority of Australians accept the Australia Governments' decisions in 1996.   Roll Eyes

That's enough neurotic bed-wetting, Bwian, old aunt.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print