Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
South Africa versus Australia! (Read 13715 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: South Africa versus Australia!
Reply #165 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:33pm

philperth2010 wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:25pm:
A bit of history for those who are interested???

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/aug/21/pakistan2006.cricket1

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/18226060/mcc-sticks-present-ball-tamperin...

Quote:
ESPNcricinfo understood that broadcasters do not seek out players shining the ball. Their cameras have been known to look away when players shine the ball, irrespective of the team they belong to. The issue is certain to come up at a meeting of the ICC cricket committee. While the laws of cricket are formulated by the MCC, the ICC has its own playing conditions that supplement the laws. So a rethink on ball-tampering cannot be ruled out yet.

It is unlikely you get caught the first time....The cameras at the ground were zooming in on the Aussies shining the ball....Yet not when South Africa were bowling???

Huh Huh Huh

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

exactly!!!!  it was played in S Africa remember..

me thinks from now on when teams come here ever camera will be waiting... Smiley Smiley

its all to do with timing apparently....

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #166 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:33pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:00pm:
cods wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 2:49pm:
.............  yes I agree    it was a mistake for sure... but what a mistake... Angry Angry Angry.. they are playing for Australia  ................

a mistake.

To err is human, to forgive ................

Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error.
Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #167 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:37pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/18226060/mcc-sticks-present-ball-tamperin...

Quote:
ESPNcricinfo understood that broadcasters do not seek out players shining the ball. Their cameras have been known to look away when players shine the ball, irrespective of the team they belong to. The issue is certain to come up at a meeting of the ICC cricket committee. While the laws of cricket are formulated by the MCC, the ICC has its own playing conditions that supplement the laws. So a rethink on ball-tampering cannot be ruled out yet.

It is unlikely you get caught the first time....The cameras at the ground were zooming in on the Aussies shining the ball....Yet not when South Africa were bowling???

Huh Huh Huh

Irrelevant.  We did it and we got caught.  That we did it.....is all that matters, and it matters not one bit that the South Africans were looking.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #168 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:09pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:37pm:

Quote:

Huh Huh Huh

Irrelevant.  We did it and we got caught.  That we did it.....is all that matters, and it matters not one bit that the South Africans were looking.

I agree....Smith should never captain Australia again....He has no one to blame but himself!!!

Sad Sad Sad

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #169 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:18pm

Australian males in Sport

Soccer = Chokers
NRL = Rednecks
AFL = Gays
Cricket = Cheats
ARU = Losers

Most Australian Males hold onto 'Sport' via their cultural attachment to the Media which often shows 'bias' to all things African, Asian & European ...more so than to its actual vicinity of Australia, Namerica, Samerica.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #170 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 11:59pm

philperth2010 wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:33pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 6:00pm:
cods wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 2:49pm:
.............  yes I agree    it was a mistake for sure... but what a mistake... Angry Angry Angry.. they are playing for Australia  ................

a mistake.

To err is human, to forgive ................

Great services are not canceled by one act or by one single error.
Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)

months ago the media were gushing over the Ashes win.

Steve was being compared to Bradman.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #171 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:06pm

philperth2010 wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:09pm:

Quote:

Huh Huh Huh

I agree....Smith should never captain Australia again....He has no one to blame but himself!!!

Sad Sad Sad

not sure if you read this..
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/trevor-chappell-underarm-bowl-ha...

INFAMOUS underarm bowler Trevor Chappell has served up a warning to ball-tampering trio Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft saying “this will haunt you forever.”

The infamy from 37 years ago has never left Chappell whose infamous lawn bowl on the MCG pitch on the orders of his brother ensured he could never boast a cricket resume to overshadow the notoriety.

“I thought it was a good idea to underarm bowl at the time but not these days.

“I struggled a lot with it mentally, I was vilified for years and people will still ask about it.

“I don’t know if my brothers have done better in life than me after what happened, Greg copped it at the time, but the quiet life certainly chose me after that — my marriage broke down and I never remarried or had kids.

“These days all I do is coach cricket to kids and play golf,” he said.

sadly his brother Greg who issued him with the order   is still going strong in the cricket world... Angry Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #172 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:09pm

Trevor Chappell never had a long term cricket future, as he was not good enough.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #173 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 6:02pm

Increase security at the airport. Some fanatic might take the opportunity to voice his displeasure at the ignominy of Australia cricket.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #174 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 8:31pm

The surprising thing about the Kim Hughes and Allan Border eras.
Although they were primarily not great winners.
They were incredibly respected by other nations Cricketers.
Kapil Dev, Viv Richards and other 'greats' all refer to this era of Australian Cricketers as 'the friendliest'.
"The camaraderie of these guys was infectious ...to be such, even when being beaten soundly by us, was admirable."

Richards blasted the Chappell era as a bunch of 'racists' bigots who had a few tricks up their sleeves. Lillie, Thommo, Marsh, etc - a very obnoxious bunch of cricketers, whose main air of reconciliation after the game was joints or beers mostly.

Taylor/S.Waugh era? A bunch of nice guys like the Hughes/Border era - but they just knew how to whip your ass on the field too!

Clarke/Smith era: Bunch of 'celebrity' brats who get a pay rise out of cheating and are incredibly disliked by other nations for their 'foul' sledging tactics. A rude bunch of cricketers who 'think' they are winning.

Bring back the Hughes & Border days
Bring back the Taylor & S.Waugh days.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #175 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 8:58pm

cods wrote on Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:06pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:09pm:

Quote:

Huh Huh Huh

Sad Sad Sad

not sure if you read this..
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/trevor-chappell-underarm-bowl-ha...

INFAMOUS underarm bowler Trevor Chappell has served up a warning to ball-tampering trio Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft saying “this will haunt you forever.”

The infamy from 37 years ago has never left Chappell whose infamous lawn bowl on the MCG pitch on the orders of his brother ensured he could never boast a cricket resume to overshadow the notoriety.

“I thought it was a good idea to underarm bowl at the time but not these days.

“I struggled a lot with it mentally, I was vilified for years and people will still ask about it.

“I don’t know if my brothers have done better in life than me after what happened, Greg copped it at the time, but the quiet life certainly chose me after that — my marriage broke down and I never remarried or had kids.

“These days all I do is coach cricket to kids and play golf,” he said.

sadly his brother Greg who issued him with the order   is still going strong in the cricket world... Angry Angry

thanks cods

for the nameless world who screech 'shame shame shame' on a highly competitive person who erred, this is the future you are aiming them for.

I forgive you Steve Smith

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #176 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:04pm

He didn't make a 'mistake'.
He (& Co) knew 'exactly' what they were doing considering they had 'precedence' to know it was bad.

You can forgive 'ignorant' Bad.
But you can't forgive 'calculated' Evil.

Little greedy twerp should have said "No" to the captaincy.
Didn't have the balls (roughed up).

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #177 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 11:36pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 27th, 2018 at 8:31pm:
Kapil Dev, Viv Richards and other 'greats' all refer to this era of Australian Cricketers as 'the friendliest'.
"The camaraderie of these guys was infectious ...to be such, even when being beaten soundly by us, was admirable."

Richards blasted the Chappell era as a bunch of 'racists' bigots who had a few tricks up their sleeves. Lillie, Thommo, Marsh, etc - a very obnoxious bunch of cricketers, whose main air of reconciliation after the game was joints or beers mostly.

Taylor/S.Waugh era? A bunch of nice guys like the Hughes/Border era - but they just knew how to whip your ass on the field too!

Clarke/Smith era: Bunch of 'celebrity' brats who get a pay rise out of cheating and are incredibly disliked by other nations for their 'foul' sledging tactics. A rude bunch of cricketers who 'think' they are winning.

I have to say that I agree with almost all of your post. But to elaborate on the Hughes/Border era, they were going through a rebuilding phase. Marsh, Lillee, Thompson, the Chappells had all retired from Test cricket. I don't think I took much notice about cricket until 1985 when Border was given captaincy. It took until 1993 when Australia won the Ashes in England when the team was considered the best team in the world.

I can't recall when the decline occurred, but there was a rebuilding phase sometime late last decade. The rebuilding phase is still ongoing. However, it has happened in the worst possible way with the incoming Steve Smith and perhaps David Warner not treating playing for their country as serious as they have. Warner's twitter abuse some years ago showed his immaturity, when he had a few shots at I think journalist Craddock (unless I have my information wrong).

I can look at the current Australian team predicament as a "glass half full" situation. Perhaps we are in for a torrid time in the next 6 months until they get the right combination of a new time up and running. I will be interested in seeing how the next test match against South Africa. I am sure the crowd will be numerous for the first day's play, and very much giving the Australians hell. But I will guess that the moment we find someone mature to fill the role of Australian captain (not forgetting vice captain), we should be looking at a new team. I would be confident that in 12 months time, this whole fiasco will be long forgotten.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #178 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:42pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 27th, 2018 at 8:31pm:

What would Richards know, these guys played in the spirit of the game and were winners.
A good game coming up, hope we can level the series.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #179 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 7:10pm

So......the pilers want to pile.  Far cough.  If only three blokes knew....why attempt to condemn those outside the three on the basis of...'Oh they must have known'

Bullshit.  If a cheater is gonna cheat, is he really going to tell the the Exam Supervisor?

Garbage.

It seems that three knew...../end. (Unless you have evidence, and not just dumbarse speculation  ~  Far cough Clarke et al.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print