Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Fight Back Against Rising Petrol Prices (Read 1915 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Fight Back Against Rising Petrol Prices
Feb 24th, 2018 at 10:58am

ACCC urges Aussies to 'fight back' against rising petrol prices

Sydney Morning Herald
February 23 2018

Petrol prices have hit their highest point in two years and it is time for Australians to fight back, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says. 

In its latest quarterly petrol report, the ACCC found that average petrol prices in Australia’s five largest cities jumped significantly in December last year and that gross retail margins have reached their highest levels since the ACCC began monitoring them in 2002.   Angry   

This is of little surprise to aviation worker Simon Grubb who fills the 90 litre tank on his Landcruiser twice a week.

Filling up with diesel at a Metro station in downtown Melbourne, Mr Grubb said he was "very aware" of prices and has favourite petrol stations.

"I'll always fill up [at the same petrol station], it's about eight cents cheaper," he said.

Petrol prices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide spiked more than 10 per cent in the last quarter of 2017, rising 12.6 cents per litre to an average of 135.1 cents per litre.

Sydney prices rose 12.5 per cent in the December quarter of 2017 to 133.6 cents per litre, while Melbourne recorded a 10.6 per cent increase to reach an average of 136.3 cents per litre.

ACCC chairman Rod Sims said it was time Australians pushed back against high fuel prices.

“Motorists can fight back against these high prices by using fuel price websites and apps to shop around. Consumers can save significantly by timing their purchases during the price cycle, which encourages retailers to be more competitive,” Mr Sims said.

“Retail prices in the larger capital cities can vary by around 25 cents per litre to 30 cents per litre near the time that price cycles are increasing.”

Mr Sims said the average gross retail margins are now more than four cents per litre higher than the average over the last 15 years, creating an additional $750 million hit to motorists.     

“Petrol retailers’ margins are the highest they have ever been and motorists are paying for it,” he said.   Angry   

However finding the cheapest price is not so easy for the less tech-savvy consumers.

James Beggs, an 88 year old pensioner, said he tried to find the lowest petrol prices to fill his 1991 Honda Concerto, but doing so was difficult without a mobile phone.

"I try to look for the cheapest prices," he said, but added that sometimes "you just need petrol".

The ACCC said part of the increase in fuel costs is due to rising Brent crude oil prices, which have surged to highs not seen since 2015, as the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries cartel cuts oil production levels globally, as well as the falling Australian dollar, which impacts prices as refined petrol is bought and sold in US dollars on the global markets.

These two factors have played a major role in lifting the fuel price, but are not the sole reason for its rise.

“The ACCC accepts that some of the increase in gross retails margins has been due to these increased costs; the information we have, however, indicates that this contribution does not explain the bulk of the increase,” Mr Sims added.

Brisbane has the highest prices across Australia’s major cities, paying an average of 3.3 cents per litre more over the last eight years than any other city.

In 2017, Darwin, Hobart and Canberra petrol prices were consistently higher than the five largest cities, with Hobart typically paying the highest fuel costs compared to all other capital cities.

The ACCC has already attempted to put a halt to surging fuel prices by opposing BP’s proposed acquisition of Woolworth’s network of petrol stations, citing the likelihood of less competition in the marketplace if the acquisition was carried out, and that fuel prices would rise.

Melbourne University commerce student Sarah Seeri said she avoided purchasing petrol where possible opting instead to catch public transport.

"I'm much more aware of how much petrol I'm putting in when the prices are higher," she said.

"I try to avoid [price spikes] in general.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Fight Back Against Rising Petrol Prices
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:07am

In other words the ACCC are not going to do anything about it ........... as usual.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:23am

We have the technology to bring these leaches to their knees.

With apps and mobile phones it could be achieved very easily.

But there is only one insurmountable thing that stands in our way EGO.

Most will not abide by the rules because for over the last 30 years or so we have grown accustom to not caring about the next bloke and his family.

Look after yourself the next guy doesn't matter this has been the lesson the oligarchy have bestowed upon us and we have taken to it like fish to water.

For the people as one would be a fearsome creature to behold.

If we boycotted BP or Mobil for one day they would start crying, for a week they would bend over and hand us the Vaseline.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Dr Mengele

Australian Politics

The Fourth Reich
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:33am

Why should motorists have to fight back? Isn't it the job of the ACCC to regulate petrol prices?  Undecided

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:42am

Dr Mengele wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:33am:
Why should motorists have to fight back? Isn't it the job of the ACCC to regulate petrol prices?  Undecided

They never have ... why should they start to now?

They are toothless tigers when it comes to Fuel Companies.

They only ever pick their mark. Like the ATO  Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:50am

It's the duopoly of Woolies and Coles that have caused rising profit margins for fuel retailers.
The 4c discounts have driven many independent operators out of business and now there is less competition.
In particular I have noticed Coles petrol consistently more expensive than other operators.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:05pm

[quote author=Oh_Yeah link=1519433926/5#5 date=1519437051]It's the duopoly of Woolies and Coles that have caused rising profit margins for fuel retailers.
The 4c discounts have driven many independent operators out of business and now there is less competition.
In particular I have noticed Coles petrol consistently more expensive than other operators.[/quote]

We are some what to blame as well. We take the bait...every time. Stupid humans.

Like posted above. If we avoided all the big names they would shite their pants and reduce prices to get us back. Actually that is what they will do at the end of this cycle. Drop the guts out of it and watch the bowser rage begin.

Oh...and you didn't think the ACCC worked for us did ya's?  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:13pm by Captain Caveman »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:19pm

The petrol companies are licensed thieves.

No wonder they don't like electric cars.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:21pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:07am:
In other words the ACCC are not going to do anything about it ........... as usual.

fill-up on a Tuesday is what they usually tell everyone Cheesy LOL

What a lof of sh.t.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:19pm:

Only electric cars will sort out these band of thieves !! They can shove their fossil fool bowsers and a million and one parts that wear out, up their clackers ! This has gone on for too long Sad No other progress in technology has been stifled for so long Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:35pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:23pm:

Only electric cars will sort out these band of thieves !! They can shove their fossil fool bowsers and a million and one parts that wear out, up their clackers ! This has gone on for too long Sad No other progress in technology has been stifled for so long Sad

Hi Nail,
it happens when you get private corporations in control of essential services.
You can't do anything without their petrol.
You can't go to work or do your shopping -
they've got you by the balls and can charge whatever they like & you'll still pay.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:38pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:35pm:

Hi Nail,
it happens when you get private corporations in control of essential services.
You can't do anything without their petrol.
You can't go to work or do your shopping -
they've got you by the balls and can charge whatever they like & you'll still pay.

and the gov just goes along for the ride collecting its excise and taxes. No wonder they don't want to do anything about congestion and traffic jams as more and more cars and trucks blow $$$ out of their tail pipes Sad

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:05pm

Why is the price of petrol so important? Are people incapable of shopping around?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:07pm

freediver wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:05pm:
Why is the price of petrol so important? Are people incapable of shopping around?

There is not so much difference that you can save any money by driving 10 miles to fill up.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:11pm

Why is the price of petrol so important?

Good question, FD. I think it has something to do with WWII, the post-war boom, the OPEC oil crisis, the rise of supply-side economics and global development.

But that's just me.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:33pm

Petrol price regulation was removed ages ago exactly what can they really do unless they have rock solid proof that would stand up in a court ?

FYI trying buying petrol in NZ or Europe

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:34pm

Dr Mengele wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:33am:

Absolutely not !

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:36pm

Captain_Caveman

Not really the independents use petrol from the bigger players. They are about 5-10c cheaper around where I live most of them are Mobil resellers near me.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:41pm

What we need to do is get everyone to boycott a particular brand for two months.
Then do the same to another brand
Then again to another brand.

The sudden loss of income for two months would put them to the wall.

And we could tell the this woukd continue until they brought prices down across the board.

But
Remember, govco tax petrol 75% plus GST
We need to send a message to the PARASITES that we are not happy.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:42pm

funny how different vendors raise their prices to the same level as each other Wink

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:42pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:07pm:

There is not so much difference that you can save any money by driving 10 miles to fill up.

I know I rush in with my woollies discount card and when the price comes up i have saved less thana dollar..... we have no choices in ACT bobs.. no independents left that I know of.....so its pay up or walk... they hold all the aces.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:12pm

Depends where you live and how far you have to drive to get cheaper petrol.

I think the price is not that bad I use Unleaded91 and it moves from about $1.10 to $1.40 both figures I can afford.

I often see smokers complaining about the price of petrol ...... just give up the Cigs and you could drive a Dodge Viper with the money you saved.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:17pm

cods wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:42pm:

I know I rush in with my woollies discount card and when the price comes up i have saved less thana dollar..... we have no choices in ACT bobs.. no independents left that I know of.....so its pay up or walk... they hold all the aces.

Near where I live there is an independent then more or less in 50 metres there is a big Shell. The independent is poky but cheaper than Shell after the 4 cent discount. I don't shop at coles or woolies but even if I did I would not use Shell.

7-11 and the independents in my area sell Mobil so the actual fuel is no different.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:24pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:11pm:

Good question, FD. I think it has something to do with WWII, the post-war boom, the OPEC oil crisis, the rise of supply-side economics and global development.

But that's just me.

Dirty Arabs.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:25pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:17pm:

Near where I live there is an independent then more or less in 50 metres there is a big Shell. The independent is poky but cheaper than Shell after the 4 cent discount. I don't shop at coles or woolies but even if I did I would not use Shell.

7-11 and the independents in my area sell Mobil so the actual fuel is no different.

In my weekly travels there is one of those budget petrol places that is 25c less than my local

Not hard to plan ahead and fill there

IBI

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:24pm:

But that's just me.

Dirty Arabs.

That's racist, Gordon.

Dirty Muslims.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:36pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:29pm:

But that's just me.

Dirty Arabs.

That's racist, Gordon.

Dirty Muslims.

It's only borderline racist when you call AyRabs dirty because it's true

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #27 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:48pm

I use a vehicle to work part of my job. The price of petrol is reimbursed generously. However, I do like to be as fuel efficient as possible. My personal vehicle can probably go from Rockhampton to Brisbane and still have a bit of fuel left over.

I like to NOT use my vehicle as much as possible. But I doubt that other motorists use their cars as sparingly as I do. Personally, if people would use their cars as little as I do, the roads would be less congested, less fuel would be wasted in traffic jams, and fuel stations would really have to compete with other stations for business. The supply and demand factors come into play.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #28 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:55pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:48pm:
I use a vehicle to work part of my job. The price of petrol is reimbursed generously. However, I do like to be as fuel efficient as possible. My personal vehicle can probably go from Rockhampton to Brisbane and still have a bit of fuel left over.

I like to NOT use my vehicle as much as possible. But I doubt that other motorists use their cars as sparingly as I do. Personally, if people would use their cars as little as I do, the roads would be less congested, less fuel would be wasted in traffic jams, and fuel stations would really have to compete with other stations for business. The supply and demand factors come into play.

Do you walk to KFC?

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #29 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 4:01pm

Stop advertising. I am seriously doing well having not had any junk food for 3 weeks.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #30 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 4:05pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 4:01pm:
Stop advertising. I am seriously doing well having not had any junk food for 3 weeks.

Good stuff.

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 4:07pm

I read an article about John Wayne Gacy's run as a store manager as KFC manager. Even the grizzly details of him killing people did not put me off wanting to drive to KFC and getting a meal. I had to hold out until 10pm before I could have a reason not to go.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 5:57pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:36pm:

But that's just me.

Dirty Arabs.

That's racist, Gordon.

Dirty Muslims.

No worries. You're no longer a containerist. From now on, you're a borderline racist.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:03pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 5:57pm:

But that's just me.

Dirty Arabs.

That's racist, Gordon.

Dirty Muslims.

No worries. You're no longer a containerist. From now on, you're a borderline racist.

Nope still 100% a containerist but the arab container holds a very dirty individual.

download_017.jpg (6 KB | 11 )
download_017.jpg

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:07pm

People drive that far every day, past several petrol stations. Petrol prices are advertised like no other product, yet for some reason people still think they are incapable of shopping around and need the ACCC to intervene on their behalf.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:38pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:03pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 5:57pm:

But that's just me.

Dirty Arabs.

That's racist, Gordon.

Dirty Muslims.

Nope still 100% a containerist but the arab container holds a very dirty individual.

No, this one's just swarthy. He does want to cut your head off though.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:44pm

There is no obligation to buy their fuel.

You can walk, catch public transport, or call up an Uber.

Stop whinging.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:56pm

There is one petrol station I pass occasionally that always has cheap fuel, and gives you another 4c/litre off if you buy over 40L. Freedom fuels I think. So I always fill up if I have less than 1/4 tank. You don't need to invent a new bureaucracy to get cheap fuel. You just have to pay attention.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #38 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:05pm

IBI

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #39 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:00pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:44pm:

Stop whinging.

Is there any way you DONT LIKE  being screwed you sill nutcase?

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:55pm

What people don't seem to understand is that petrol tanks hold petrol that has a certain weight. If you drive around with a 40L tank, a full tank would mean that you are driving around with 40kg of weight. There are so many people out there that drive around until they have 2/3rd a tank full of petrol. Then they go to top up. If they go and fill up their car when the tank reaches 10L, then they would be driving around more fuel efficiently.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 11:08am

freediver wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:07pm:

People drive that far every day, past several petrol stations. Petrol prices are advertised like no other product, yet for some reason people still think they are incapable of shopping around and need the ACCC to intervene on their behalf.

The petrol cycle in Melbourne goes something like this

All petrol stations are within 2c to 4c of each other. Over a 4 week period the price gradually goes down until over the course of 24 hours ALL petrol stations put their prices up by 30c a litre.

You can shop around and maybe save 2c a litre, which works out to less than $1 saved, or less than that depending on how much extra you have to drive to the cheapest pump.

Boycotts don't work. They never have. The $2 milk is proof of that. People boycotted that for a few weeks and then started buying it again.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #42 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 11:25am

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 11:08am:

All petrol stations are within 2c to 4c of each other. Over a 4 week period the price gradually goes down until over the course of 24 hours ALL petrol stations put their prices up by 30c a litre.

You can shop around and maybe save 2c a litre, which works out to less than $1 saved, or less than that depending on how much extra you have to drive to the cheapest pump.

Boycotts don't work. They never have. The $2 milk is proof of that. People boycotted that for a few weeks and then started buying it again.

Is that price consistency Melbourne wide?

In Sydney there are areas that are always much lower, lihe 15-25c. I can easily time my fills when I'm near the cheaper options.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 11:53am

Valkie wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 6:44pm:

Stop whinging.

Is there any way you DONT LIKE  being screwed you sill nutcase?

I don't get screwed - that's the point.

If something is too expensive, I don't buy it.

You'll catch on one day, boy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 2:05pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 11:08am:

You don't need to do extra driving to shop around. You are not going to drain your fuel tank on the way to the corner store.

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 4:43pm

Petrol prices are about as stable as walking on egg shells. I would love to be told how petrol prices go from say $1.20 to $1.60 in a matter of seconds........because they can.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #46 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 4:45pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
What we need to do is get everyone to boycott a particular brand for two months.
Then do the same to another brand
Then again to another brand.

The sudden loss of income for two months would put them to the wall.

And we could tell the this woukd continue until they brought prices down across the board.

But
Remember, govco tax petrol 75% plus GST
We need to send a message to the PARASITES that we are not happy.

I generally use Mobil from either an independent or 7-11 as they are cheaper not even sure what your logic is. They should be punished for being cheaper ?
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2018 at 6:54am by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #47 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 4:48pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 3:17pm:

In my weekly travels there is one of those budget petrol places that is 25c less than my local

Not hard to plan ahead and fill there

I drive past a 7-11 and a Metro petrol station ..... also a Shell (expensive) and a Woolies (expensive) too many options for me to bother with shell or Woolies / Caltex
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2018 at 6:55am by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:43pm

No use having electric cars ....  there won't be enough generated power to recharge the batteries.

And as if the price of electricity isn't up there with fuel prices in ripping off consumers.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:44pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 2:33pm:

Petrol price regulation was removed ages ago exactly what can they really do unless they have rock solid proof that would stand up in a court ?

I don't live in NZ or Europe ... so that's an irrelevance.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #50 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:48pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:44pm:

Gnads is welcome to seek asylum there.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:52pm

After you  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:57pm

The price of fuel is based on the Singapore Spot Price I believe.

What astounds me is that fuel that is bought at a certain price in unloaded into the tanks at service stations.

That fuel is not on sold to us just based on it's purchase price .....well before the tanks are empty the price of that fuel will Yo Yo on the Singapore Price over night.

That's an out & out theft.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 9:02pm

Just dont buy petrol

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #54 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 9:18pm

No wonder you can't hold a job, Bobby. Your head is in the past and your anus in the present.

Australia converted to metric measures in 1974.

You wouldn't know you had driven ten miles unless you are driving a pre-1974 car (44+ year old bomb) with the odometer in miles.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #55 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 6:56am

Gnads wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:44pm:

Petrol is cheaper here so to me it looks like BS bitching

Response raring 0

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #56 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 7:00am

Gnads wrote on Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:57pm:
The price of fuel is based on the Singapore Spot Price I believe.

What astounds me is that fuel that is bought at a certain price in unloaded into the tanks at service stations.

That fuel is not on sold to us just based on it's purchase price .....well before the tanks are empty the price of that fuel will Yo Yo on the Singapore Price over night.

That's an out & out theft.

No its the Oil price, but local retailers can choose when to invoke a price rise or drop.
The only thing we can claim is collusion on this timing.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Then there is also the 'price cycle'.  Funny how, the price will stay high longer, than when they were low.  So, its not really a cycle, more like a funnel. 

And Coles express is the worst.  They are more expensive with the discount than BP at times.   And yet, people still fill up there, why? because, it gets them 'points'.  Go figure.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print