Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Joyce Charged Taxpayers To See AFL Game (Read 1342 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Joyce Charged Taxpayers To See AFL Game
Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:19pm

Joyce charged taxpayers to see AFL game, took RAAF charter flight home   Sad
February 18 2018  New Daily

Barnaby Joyce charged the taxpayer to stay overnight in Melbourne after attending an AFL game last year, before arranging a $6000 “special purpose” defence force charter flight back to Tamworth the following day.   Sad   

The revelation comes as the latest Newspoll estimated that 65 per cent of voters wanted Mr Joyce to resign as Nationals leader because of his scandalous affair with a staffer – which has heightened scrutiny of his expenses claims.

Parliamentary documents show Mr Joyce claimed $442 in travelling allowance on May 13 last year for an overnight stay in Melbourne, citing “official business” as Deputy Prime Minister.

The Nationals leader declared in his register of member’s interests that he was a guest for the City vs Country at the May 13 AFL night match between Geelong and Essendon at the MCG, with the gift including “hospitality in the form of food and drinks”.

The New Daily can also reveal Mr Joyce was then the sole passenger on a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) flight from Melbourne to Tamworth the following day, which was Mother’s Day.

Defence Department documents show the cost to the taxpayer for the charter flight was $6440.

The Deputy Prime Minister’s expense claims have faced closer scrutiny after it was revealed he was having an affair with former staffer Vikki Campion, who is now pregnant with his child.

He has come under fire for claiming travelling allowance for 50 nights in Canberra, far more than any other government minister, and making use of the same allowance to stay in Armidale, rather than at the family home one hour away in Tamworth.

Mr Joyce spent the morning of the AFL game in Wodonga alongside Victorian Coalition senators Bridget McKenzie and Jane Hume to announce the border town would become home to the Murray Darling Basin Authority.

But The New Daily could not find any record of Mr Joyce conducting media events or parliamentary business in Melbourne that day.

Mr Joyce did not claim travel between Wodonga and Melbourne.

Having flown from Canberra to Albury the previous morning with two staff, he travelled back from the Victorian capital to Tamworth alone.

Despite public frustration at such expense claims, politicians argue they are entitled to charge the taxpayer for costs incurred to attend sporting matches if they are present in an official capacity.

Last October, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop was forced to defend using taxpayers’ money to attend the AFL Grand Final for the fourth year in a row.

Opposition frontbencher Anthony Albanese is among a number of Labor politicians who have charged taxpayers to attend the AFL Grand Final.

Mr Joyce’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

Parliamentary guidelines state that special purpose flights are approved after taking into account “the availability of flights on major domestic airlines”, as well as other factors.

Last year, Buzzfeed reported Mr Joyce charged taxpayers nearly $9000 on RAAF flights to return to Canberra on the same day he attended a rugby league game with his family.

The flights were to ensure Mr Joyce could make it back to Canberra in time for the Prime Minister to call the federal election that day, May 9.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Joyce Charged Taxpayers To See AFL Game
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:29pm

if you look closely crook   you will find they all do..

its part of their package dont you know?....

how come you never complained when Labor members did it  even taking all their kids..

as Leader and Dep PM  he is probably entitled to hire the plane...

I dont agree with it....but as I said most do it  if its there they take it dont they?.

it is just not the right that does it?

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:50pm

cods wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:29pm:

how come you never complained when Labor members did it  even taking all their kids..

I dont agree with it....but as I said most do it  if its there they take it dont they?.

For a government who continuously state that we have a budget emergency, and that age of entitlement is over.  Its a bit rich to charter an ADF flight for 6000+  on tax payer's expense.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:54pm

tickleandrose wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:50pm:

For a government who continuously state that we have a budget emergency, and that age of entitlement is over.  Its a bit rich to charter an ADF flight for 6000+  on tax payer's expense.

I wonder who the in flight hostess was?  Campion got an alibi?

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:58pm

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:07pm

Know I said I was done with this chit, but came across this

Canavan and Joyce cost us $2,476,425.00 in expenses

on top of their salary

Canavan $399,820
Joyce $473,530

Breakdown of expenses here

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm

PZ547 wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:07pm:

on top of their salary

Canavan $399,820
Joyce $473,530

LINK

2.5 millllllllllllllllllion dollars , somebody say stop the waste  Shocked

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Its time wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

on top of their salary

Canavan $399,820
Joyce $473,530

LINK

I wonder what the bloated boozed bonking beetroot cost us in legal fees (High Court) and the by-election because the stupid prick can't read a simple election nomination document.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:21pm

Many of you may have seen this but if not

Quote:
In 2016 and 2017, the father-of-four's travel to events with his now pregnant 33-year-old former staffer Vikki Campion cost taxpayers $28,408 when she was on his payroll.

Daily Mail Australia has analysed expenses incurred by Mr Joyce between May 2016, when Ms Campion joined his election campaign as media adviser, to April 2017 when she quit as his adviser to work for Nationals minister Matt Canavan

Quote:
She travelled extensively across Australia with her former boss, flying with him from the Gold Coast to Melbourne, and several regional centres in between, during her year as a full-time staffer with the Deputy Prime Minister

Link below and copy of details from Finance and Defence to validate the above report

LINK

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:25pm

not wrong....

the left didnt mind when slipper was dishing out signed blank  charge sheets though did they???.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

what is it about little mole hills... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:35pm

cods wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:25pm:

not wrong....

the left didnt mind when slipper was dishing out signed blank  charge sheets though did they???.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Slipper is gone / lost his job entirely, but Joyce is still here.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:47pm

And then there's this:

Quote:
Barnaby Joyce claimed expenses to stay the night 100km from his family home

The disgraced Deputy Prime Minister charged taxpayers $372 a night for stays

He claimed for 26 nights on the road in March

25 in May

and 25 in August

So that's 76 nights @ $372 per night

LINK

There's a long Reddit Australia thread on it

LINK

Comments on Reddit said,

Quote:
Well this could be a problem. Both Armidale and Tamworth are within the electorate. And pretty sure we (the Australian taxpayer) forked our a pretty large sum of money to have a second office opened within his electorate (so he has one in both Armidale AND Tamworth), which is not a usual arrangement for most MP’s.

And now we get charged $372 a night while he ‘travels’ within his electorate, despite having a perfectly good office in the same town as your family?

Give. Me. A. Break

Quote:
Flog me that's more ($372)than I get a fortnight while looking for a job

Quote:
I found the most expensive apartments in Armidale, and went to the most expensive time. $275 a night. Where is the rest going?

Quote:
are receipts required for this? because it would be crazy if not. these should be obtainable by FOI

Quote:
Can we get FOI to release where Mrs Campion was on those nights ?

Quote:
(He)Almost spends a years worth of Centrelink payments in a month, while still earning $400k/year

Quote:
Doesn't Centrelink expect job seekers to accept jobs/work for the doleup to 90 minutes away?

More Reddit Comments:

LINK

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:47pm

tickleandrose wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:35pm:

not wrong....

Slipper is gone / lost his job entirely, but Joyce is still here.

.....and Slipper was a totally innocent man, even after the Libs threw everything they could at him.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:46am

not wrong....

We actually did care you idiot.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:34am

There's a big difference between being invited to a hoo-haa for BEING the Hottentate - and being invited AS the Hottentate...

What exactly are the official duties of a Deputy PM at a football game?  Showing the party flag?  did he open the game?  Did he announce - after a week of hard negotiation, a totally new ball game for the football?

NO - he went there to watch it on invitation - that means he went there as a private citizen who just happens to be the Deputy PM.

Time for this kind of rorting to be stomped on.  Politicians are not royalty, no matter how hard to they try to act the part.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:38am

Interesting everyone is talking about everything except Joyce attending an AFL match.

Albanese did the same, Bourke flew his family out first class to Ayers Rock ..... again White-ant is just bleating rubbish.

Attending sporting events are irrelevant unless they are in an official capacity like handing out Trophies etc.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:51am

Aussie wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:20pm:
Its time wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

on top of their salary

Canavan $399,820
Joyce $473,530

LINK

I wonder what the bloated boozed bonking beetroot cost us in legal fees (High Court) and the by-election because the stupid prick can't read a simple election nomination document.

I wonder what the bloated boozed bonking beetroot cost us in legal fees (High Court) and the by-election because the stupid prick can't chose not to read a simple election nomination document.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:52am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:38am:
Interesting everyone is talking about everything except Joyce attending an AFL match.

Albanese did the same, Bourke flew his family out first class to Ayers Rock ..... again White-ant is just bleating rubbish.

Attending sporting events are irrelevant unless they are in an official capacity like handing out Trophies etc.

I recall a lot of criticism of any politician who ABuses the system to get a free ride when it is for private business.

The rules need to be tightened up... a trip to somewhere with family is not official government business, nor is a trip for party business.

― John Adams

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 9:22am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:52am:

I recall a lot of criticism of any politician who ABuses the system to get a free ride when it is for private business.

The rules need to be tightened up... a trip to somewhere with family is not official government business, nor is a trip for party business.

I prefer they just can not claim any sporting events except if its in an official capacity then they have free entry and can claim travel expenses which is often just a Com Car.

The rules are there just not enforced.
I have never seen a company policy that includes family members in ad-hoc travel so Bourke was way out of touch with commercial practice let alone society standards.

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 12:36pm

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:08pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:52am:

Yes, the rules need to be tightened up and enforced much more rigorously. Any Parliament that thinks it's acceptable to pursue people with debt collectors over six-year-old Centrelink errors costing less than $100 should not be seen flouting its own rules for expenses.

It's a nonsense that a politician can spend most of the time on a trip on private business but get to sanctify it as "official business" by holding a quick press conference in a factory or a school to make some inconsequential announcement. Or, in some cases, by doing nothing at all.

The bloke in the car nailed it:

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:19pm

whiteknight wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:19pm:

And sitting alongside him was ruckman Wayne Swan.

Wayne Swan, when acting PM in 2010, took his two children to both the AFL grand final replay and NRL grand final by VIP aircraft, costing taxpayers more than $17,000 in one weekend, according to Mr Abbott's office.

Like I keep saying we have filth in Canberra representing us.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 2:10pm

salad in wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:19pm:

Wayne Swan, when acting PM in 2010, took his two children to both the AFL grand final replay and NRL grand final by VIP aircraft, costing taxpayers more than $17,000 in one weekend, according to Mr Abbott's office.

Its typical left wing thinking of nutjobs like WhitNut

Barnaby has entered a very grey area cheated on his wife, created a job for his mistress and all the nut job can come p with an AFL match ? Bourke flew his whole family to Ayers Rock first class !

Where I draw the line is creating jobs via mates ..... sets a very poor standard for a government that sets up regulatory bodies !

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:14pm

salad in wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:19pm:

Salad dear, was there enough room on the seats for these well remunerted bums?

At the grand final breakfast on Saturday, Mr Buckley also joked the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade had asked the Eagles to play the AFL's exhibition match in China next year.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull gave official speeches at the breakfast. Greens leader Richard Di Natale, Goldstein MP Tim Wilson, NSW Riverina MP Michael McCormack, Health Minister Greg Hunt and Liberal senator Jane Hume were all spotted at the MCG before kick off.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:40pm

not wrong....

Slipper was a Liberal when he was dishing out cheques, they didn't report him till he was no longer a liberal which was the real crime.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:45pm

Quote:
The Deputy Prime Minister’s expense claims have faced closer scrutiny after it was revealed he was having an affair with former staffer Vikki Campion, who is now pregnant with his child.

In other words they only check properly or report it when they want to fix someone up. Other wise it is business as usual.  wheel out those three monkeys.

How about they all get externally audited every year.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print