SA Election (Read 12944 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
SA Election
Feb 18th, 2018 at 7:55pm

This is what the latest polls suggest

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/xenophons-sa-best-leading-newspolls-popula...

The latest poll, published in the Australian newspaper, shows 32 per cent of SA voters intend to direct their first preference votes to SA Best during the March election, compared to the Liberal Party on 29 per cent and Labor on 27 per cent.

I guess this will come down to preferences if these numbers are right.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: SA Election
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:27pm

It will be enlightening to see the result of redrawn electoral boundaries.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:46am

lee wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:27pm:

How many have been redrawn ? From what I can see badly timed sneezing could see any party govern even SA Best.

What is clear to me is voter dissatisfaction with both ALP / LNP.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:23am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:46am:

How many have been redrawn ? From what I can see badly timed sneezing could see any party govern even SA Best.

I don't know. But Labor complained mightily.

"A Labor Party appeal against a significant revision of South Australia's state electoral boundaries has been dismissed by the full bench of the Supreme Court.
Key points:

Four Labor-held seats are now notionally Liberal
    ALP unhappy some country votes hold more weight than city ones
    Labor will consider seeking the High Court hear the matter

The revision drastically changed many of the state's electorates and made four Labor-held seats notionally Liberal — Colton, Elder, Mawson and Newland."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/sa-electoral-boundaries-challenge-dismisse...

There has been no High Court challenge.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:28am

lee wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:23am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:46am:

I don't know. But Labor complained mightily.

"A Labor Party appeal against a significant revision of South Australia's state electoral boundaries has been dismissed by the full bench of the Supreme Court.
Key points:

Four Labor-held seats are now notionally Liberal
    ALP unhappy some country votes hold more weight than city ones
    Labor will consider seeking the High Court hear the matter

The revision drastically changed many of the state's electorates and made four Labor-held seats notionally Liberal — Colton, Elder, Mawson and Newland."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/sa-electoral-boundaries-challenge-dismisse...

There has been no High Court challenge.

From memory (correct me if I am wrong) the last election the LNP got more votes ..... if that is correct an electoral redraw will for change the result if the vote is replicated.

To be honest SA is in such a mess I would not want to be in power Smiley It might be interesting to see Nick the pommy Cyprian (Smiley) govern.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:22pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:28am:
if that is correct an electoral redraw will for change the result if the vote is replicated.

Not necessarily. It depends on where the votes go in each election. In some seats could be a higher Labor vote which might not change anything. It can be as simple as more Labor/Liberal move into a marginal seat. Demographics change.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:55pm

lee wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:22pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:28am:
if that is correct an electoral redraw will for change the result if the vote is replicated.

Not necessarily. It depends on where the votes go in each election. In some seats could be a higher Labor vote which might not change anything. It can be as simple as more Labor/Liberal move into a marginal seat. Demographics change.

I think you mean in each electorate yes it does but if the LNP gets more votes and just lost a redistribution is more likely to favour the LNP.

Lets see if the Pommy Cyprian can win Smiley

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:42pm

The SA Labor Government recently privatized the Lands Title Office and accumulated $.16 billion for the treasury.

"Making the announcement in Parliament on Thursday, Mr Koutsantonis said Land Services SA — a consortium of Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board — would maintain over-the-counter services at the Adelaide Lands Titles Office and customers would “not notice any difference to the service”.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/state-government-privatises-l...

First of all, I think that this is completely unacceptable: selling a public asset which has a monopoly to a private company. Clearly prices will reflect the consortium's future profit targets (otherwise why would they have bought it).

I wonder what members think about this?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
The SA Labor Government recently privatized the Lands Title Office and accumulated $.16 billion for the treasury.

"Making the announcement in Parliament on Thursday, Mr Koutsantonis said Land Services SA — a consortium of Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board — would maintain over-the-counter services at the Adelaide Lands Titles Office and customers would “not notice any difference to the service”.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/state-government-privatises-l...

First of all, I think that this is completely unacceptable: selling a public asset which has a monopoly to a private company. Clearly prices will reflect the consortium's future profit targets (otherwise why would they have bought it).

Federally the ALP have sold off more public assets then the LNP so politically it a non argument unless the Pommy Cyprian wants to buy it back.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:09pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm:

Federally the ALP have sold off more public assets then the LNP so politically it a non argument unless the Pommy Cyprian wants to buy it back.

Would you support the buyback of public assets?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 4:55pm

Nick has always been very popular in SA... however has he ever been put to the test????>....

as far as I know if he wins big time and a few party members they will all be new boys.....

as someone has pointed out SA is a mess....

will new team members be able to fix it? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:32am

Auggie wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:09pm:

My general answer would be a no, for a buy back to happen the private operator would need to be highly incompetent ..... I am  case by case person on selling off public assets and its a dumb assumption that the left wing brain makes that everything is run better by the government.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:36am

cods wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Nick has always been very popular in SA... however has he ever been put to the test????>....

as far as I know if he wins big time and a few party members they will all be new boys.....

as someone has pointed out SA is a mess....

will new team members be able to fix it? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yes the Pommy Cyprian seems to be a barking dog on the sideline but SA government does set a very low bar that any muppet could match. Good luck to him and hopefully for the people of SA they get a good government .... the ALP has let that state down big time and should be booted out !

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 10:09am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:32am:

My general answer would be a no, for a buy back to happen the private operator would need to be highly incompetent ..... I am  case by case person on selling off public assets and its a dumb assumption that the left wing brain makes that everything is run better by the government.

they dont give a stuff about that.....its the control back into ,the hands of the union......thats where they have 3 men to each job...one fixing one holding the ladder one  making sure no one walks under the ladder..... hes in charge of a safe workplace  you see... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

do you think its time we saw some balance sheets at the end of their terms....how they have spent everyone dollar??.....we seem to get nothing at all from our govts that proves they are efficient and worthy of the job..

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Smoke/fire, cods, so on that basis, this must be true.

Link.

Quote:
Opposition Leader Steven Marshall has admitted Chinese mining magnate Sally Zou has been to his house, but stressed he had not received any personal gifts from her.

This morning Mr Marshall faced further questioning over a potential $1.2 million donation from Ms Zou, which she tweeted about last week.

Now, more information about the $1,212,018 cheque has emerged — it appears to be the same date as Mr Marshall's birthday.

In a tweet, Labor Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis pointed out the exact amount of the donation spelled out Mr Marshall's birthday this year, January 21, 2018.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 4:03pm

cods wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 10:09am:

they dont give a stuff about that.....its the control back into ,the hands of the union......thats where they have 3 men to each job...one fixing one holding the ladder one  making sure no one walks under the ladder..... hes in charge of a safe workplace  you see... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

do you think its time we saw some balance sheets at the end of their terms....how they have spent everyone dollar??.....we seem to get nothing at all from our govts that proves they are efficient and worthy of the job..

That is why I am a case by case person if something is essential but not profitable the government should step in and either run it or subsidise it through a private operator.

If something is essential and profitable then for sure let the free market deliver it like Telco services.

In reality either privately run or publicly run organisations both succeed and fail ..... ideology is not the answer but due diligence is !

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 4:51pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 3:59pm:
Smoke/fire, cods, so on that basis, this must be true.

Link.

Quote:
Opposition Leader Steven Marshall has admitted Chinese mining magnate Sally Zou has been to his house, but stressed he had not received any personal gifts from her.

This morning Mr Marshall faced further questioning over a potential $1.2 million donation from Ms Zou, which she tweeted about last week.

Now, more information about the $1,212,018 cheque has emerged — it appears to be the same date as Mr Marshall's birthday.

In a tweet, Labor Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis pointed out the exact amount of the donation spelled out Mr Marshall's birthday this year, January 21, 2018.

Earlier today, Mr Marshall told ABC Radio Adelaide the party had not received the cheque, but there had been previous donations.

"All of that has been disclosed, she's made past donations, last year and the year before in the lead-up to the federal election and other donations," he said.

"All of those donations have been reported as per the legislation.

"The Liberal Party has absolutely nothing to hide here."

Mr Marshall blamed the repeated questions regarding Ms Zou on a Labor "smear" campaign.

He said the Labor Party received $1.5 million from the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA) and the union did that to influence the Government's position on shop trading hours.

"Cue the smear, two weeks from the election you knew it was always going to happen," Mr Marshall said.

I do admit  taking money from people with ???????

and that goes for UNIONS as well....

is not a good look...

but how do you stop it????.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 4:55pm

are you a resident of SA   rightsaidfred????>..

I always think is good to get info  from those who live it.......we get more news on the footy than life in S.A. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:49pm

cods wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 4:55pm:

I always think is good to get info  from those who live it.......we get more news on the footy than life in S.A. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No I am in NSW, I take interest in SA as its a state that is in need of a good government the ALP has really screwed up that state. From the polling and articles I have read the election could go 3 ways.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:55pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:49pm:

No I am in NSW, I take interest in SA as its a state that is in need of a good government the ALP has really screwed up that state. From the polling and articles I have read the election could go 3 ways.

you would well remember how the ALP stuffed up NSW   I am sure....is there one you favor down there???.....who would you like to see win it.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:02pm

cods wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:55pm:

you would well remember how the ALP stuffed up NSW   I am sure....is there one you favor down there???.....who would you like to see win it.

Yes we had 17 years hard labor with corruption and incompetence at every level, started with nifty nev and ended with Obied Inc running the joint !

Its a democracy so any party can step up and govern for the people but on form the ALP has been terrible in the past, the LNP are no clean skins either. In SA it looks more incompetence than corruption .....  prefer a small amount of corruption over incompetence, incompetence is harder to fix.

Maybe Nick the Pommy Cyprian is the man Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 9:45pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:02pm:

Yes we had 17 years hard labor with corruption and incompetence at every level, started with nifty nev and ended with Obied Inc running the joint !

Its a democracy so any party can step up and govern for the people but on form the ALP has been terrible in the past, the LNP are no clean skins either. In SA it looks more incompetence than corruption .....  prefer a small amount of corruption over incompetence, incompetence is harder to fix.

oh is nick X  the pommie cypriot??..lol..

hes too untried   but then look at Donald who would have thought.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 6:22am

cods wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 9:45pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:02pm:

oh is nick X  the pommie cypriot??..lol..

hes too untried   but then look at Donald who would have thought.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

They tried the ALP and there proven crap not sure how it could be worse a state that can not produce its own electricity ? that is a big joke !

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:00pm

Sportsbet latest

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 4:07pm

Is this guy still the Premier?

I haven't been to SA for awhile.

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 2:48pm

I just voted for the Conservative party. Cori Bernadi is promising to build a beautiful wall between SA and Vic  Cool

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:44pm

It's a dumb argument by the right wing brain that privatising for private profit always produces better results for the public. The massive hikes in energy prices since privatisation is ample proof to the contrary.

We need a Royal Commission into privatisation because some of it was done corruptly!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:46pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change of government. There's a good chance we won't see a result tonight, especially if SA Best ends up winning enough seats. I think SA may end up with a Liberal minority government with SA Best giving confidence and supply.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:53pm

Bam wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
It's a dumb argument by the right wing brain that privatising for private profit always produces better results for the public. The massive hikes in energy prices since privatisation is ample proof to the contrary.

Maybe that is why the WA State Government has recently sold electricity assets. And that after promising not to. Wink

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 7:43pm

Nothing much happening in the count so far. No massive swing against - or to - the Government. SA Best taking votes off everyone. Net result so far seems to be Libs losing 2 seats, Labor losing 1, independents gaining 2 and SA Best gaining 1.

SA could be headed towards a hung parliament.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 7:52pm

Three independents who look likely to win seats are:

Frances Bedford (Florey) former ALP contesting as independent.
Troy Bell (Mount Gambier) former Lib contesting as independent.
Geoff Brock (Frome) independent who is currently a Minister.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 7:53pm

Bam wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
Nothing much happening in the count so far. No massive swing against - or to - the Government. SA Best taking votes off everyone. Net result so far seems to be Libs losing 2 seats, Labor losing 1, independents gaining 2 and SA Best gaining 1.

SA could be headed towards a hung parliament.

Or SA Best will form coalition with libs.  since they are libs in disguise.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 8:20pm

Current count looks like Libs could end up with a bare majority of 1. They should have the support of one ex-Lib independent. Antony Green has called a Liberal government.

Basically the Libs have gained government by redistribution because very few seats changed hands from the notional holders. This isn't necessarily a problem though because the previous boundaries favoured Labor somewhat.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:00pm

This shows what happens when u get rid of gerrymanders. The libs who got 54% last time and lost get a similar rezukt and then easily win.

Also good to see xenophon gotten destroyed. Be is a posueur with no actual policies.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:13am

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 10:00pm:
This shows what happens when u get rid of gerrymanders. The libs who got 54% last time and lost get a similar rezukt and then easily win.

The more general term "malapportionment" is better here. A Gerrymander is a distinct kind of malapportionment that strictly speaking doesn't apply here.

A defining characteristic of a Gerrymander is electoral boundaries that are drawn by a partisan committee to maximise the number of seats for one party. Such seats often have quite bizarre shapes to achieve this.

Here is the original Gerrymander from 1812.

Here are some more recent examples. Note the shapes.

A comparison between the old Gerrymandered Pennsylvanian Congressional districts and the new fairer map imposed by the Supreme Court.

The South Australian constitution requires electorate boundaries to be as fair as possible. You are correct to claim that the SAEC messed it up last time. Just don't call it a "Gerrymander", it technically isn't one.

It also helps to remember why the SA Constitution has this requirement. The Playmander malapportionment (again, NOT a Gerrymander) had a massive bias towards conservative rural seats, where rural seats outnumbered urban seats by about 2 to 1 even though urban voters outnumbered rural voters 2 to 1. No doubt you'll admit that the Playmander's 32-year bias towards conservatives isn't fair either.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 12:44pm

Despite your efforts to say otherwise, it is still a gerrymander. It was a gross messup of the boundaries that if they had been corrected 12 years ago, this would be a 4th Liberal term - a party that has won the 2PP all but once in the last 20 years. There is no excuse for such a gross misuse of power for this to occur and remain in place for so long. The 'swing' to the libs looks great in the number of seats but in 2PP terms is possibly LOWER than last time.

But the weirdest win was the Indie in Mt Gambier who was re-elected despite being charged with serious crimes which will see him going to jail for a number of years.  Who would vote for him???

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 12:57pm

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 12:44pm:
Despite your efforts to say otherwise, it is still a gerrymander. It was a gross messup of the boundaries that if they had been corrected 12 years ago, this would be a 4th Liberal term - a party that has won the 2PP all but once in the last 20 years. There is no excuse for such a gross misuse of power for this to occur and remain in place for so long. The 'swing' to the libs looks great in the number of seats but in 2PP terms is possibly LOWER than last time.

But the weirdest win was the Indie in Mt Gambier who was re-elected despite being charged with serious crimes which will see him going to jail for a number of years.  Who would vote for him???

Gooday Longy

I thought the AEC set up the boundaries independant of the government of the day!

How does gerrymandering occur if this is the case?

Just asking as I have no idea how it works!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:08pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 12:57pm:

Gooday Longy

I thought the AEC set up the boundaries independant of the government of the day!

its a good question and it calls into question their integrity and competence. The SA gerrymander has been in operation for 20 years and only getting worse. IN only one election in the last years did labor get a 2PP over 50%. Last election, the split was 53/47 to Libs and yet they lost. it was this hopelessly lopsided disgrace that made the redistribution take place, but the one before that was around 52/48.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:17pm

Gooday Longy

Ditto. I would like that answered too.
Your previous response implied the AEC is corrupt.
Do you have any reason other than right wing sour grapes to cast that slur?
I hated Gerrymanders when that foul human Bjelke Peterson ran QLD like his private kingdom, and have no love for them no matter which side of politics they may benefit.

I'm very glad to see Labor ousted in SA, 16 years is too long for almost any government to stay in power.

It is about time we introduce five year fixed terms.
Stop wasting time on politicking, and make the baskets actually do the job and govern.
Ferk it up and get dumped at the next election.

That HAS to be better than what we are doing now.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:29pm

mozzaok wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:17pm:

Gooday Longy

I hated Gerrymanders when that foul human Bjelke Peterson ran QLD like his private kingdom, and have no love for them no matter which side of politics they may benefit.

I'm very glad to see Labor ousted in SA, 16 years is too long for almost any government to stay in power.

Stop wasting time on politicking, and make the baskets actually do the job and govern.

I am implying incompetence as that is the bare minimum explanation. the twin responsibilities of the AEC are to ensure that electorates are similar in size (except for sparsely populated regions) and that the number of seats is similar to the 2PP vote. They failed absolutely in the last criteria and seemed unable to comprehend the scale of the problem until the last election which was a landslide vote for the Libs and they STILL lost. They failed for 20 years to keep the boundaries current and fair and that is a major indictment on their performance.

There is supposed to be a review after every election and the AEC failed miserably to solve this problem. Im not suggesting corruption as I have no evidence but an independent investigation of this decades like gerrymander would have to at least consider that possibility. After all, making the seats fair is not rocket science and yet, it didnt happen.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:32pm

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:29pm:

Gooday Longy

I am implying incompetence as that is the bare minimum explanation. the twin responsibilities of the AEC are to ensure that electorates are similar in size (except for sparsely populated regions) and that the number of seats is similar to the 2PP vote. They failed absolutely in the last criteria and seemed unable to comprehend the scale of the problem until the last election which was a landslide vote for the Libs and they STILL lost. They failed for 20 years to keep the boundaries current and fair and that is a major indictment on their performance.

There is supposed to be a review after every election and the AEC failed miserably to solve this problem. Im not suggesting corruption as I have no evidence but an independent investigation of this decades like gerrymander would have to at least consider that possibility. After all, making the seats fair is not rocket science and yet, it didnt happen.

You're an IDIOT  Grin Grin Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:35pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:32pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:29pm:

Gooday Longy

You're an IDIOT  Grin Grin Grin

I can make a case for my opinion. can you? no, of course not. You are a laborite and therefore intellectually deficient.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:56pm

Probably more like the Electoral Commission of South Australia.

https://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:03pm

lee wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 1:56pm:

Probably more like the Electoral Commission of South Australia.

https://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/

They are pretty lousy at their job.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:11pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Mar 17th, 2018 at 2:48pm:
I just voted for the Conservative party. Cori Bernadi is promising to build a beautiful wall between SA and Vic  Cool

Great Idea..

First step..

Cut Victorian Power lines that supply SA their power because their idiotic government shut their down...  Grin

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:15pm

More of the same but different in a two horse race.
The hooting and hollering that goes on in party rooms when a win is announced is like an AFL grand final winning kick, I think they all need to take it a bit more seriously and get a life.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:17pm

Xenophon crushed

Grin

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:23pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
Xenophon crushed

Grin

The rap advert didn't do him any favors, oh well he still has his lawyer firm to fall back on, woo hoo more pokies.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 5:14pm

Seems you're not able to understand the difference between a gerrymander and malapportionment despite the explanation.

It was malapportionment. It was NOT a gerrymander. If you disagree, you must produce evidence that it meets the criteria.

As for the Libs not winning the 2PP, I've never seen you complain about elections where the Libs win elections with a minority of the 2PP vote. It happened to Labor in SA in 1947, 1950, 1953, 1956, 1959. In 1962 and 1968 Labor still couldn't win a majority despite having a majority on primary votes alone.

Federally, the Libs are well ahead 4 to 1 on election wins from a 2PP minority, the most recent in 1998.

You may notice that I'm not complaining particularly about the election result in SA because I consider it a fair result.

SA should consider whether it needs to take steps to improve proportionality. If nothing else works, the state may even need to consider radical reforms like introducing some form of proportional representation in the lower house. The downside is that it would advantage minor parties like SA Best and the Greens, whose proportion of votes to seats won makes Labor's share of the vote during the Playford years look positively balanced by comparison.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #49 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:13pm

Bam wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 5:14pm:

Seems you're not able to understand the difference between a gerrymander and malapportionment despite the explanation.

It was malapportionment. It was NOT a gerrymander. If you disagree, you must produce evidence that it meets the criteria.

As for the Libs not winning the 2PP, I've never seen you complain about elections where the Libs win elections with a minority of the 2PP vote. It happened to Labor in SA in 1947, 1950, 1953, 1956, 1959. In 1962 and 1968 Labor still couldn't win a majority despite having a majority on primary votes alone.

Federally, the Libs are well ahead 4 to 1 on election wins from a 2PP minority, the most recent in 1998.

You may notice that I'm not complaining particularly about the election result in SA because I consider it a fair result.

SA should consider whether it needs to take steps to improve proportionality. If nothing else works, the state may even need to consider radical reforms like introducing some form of proportional representation in the lower house. The downside is that it would advantage minor parties like SA Best and the Greens, whose proportion of votes to seats won makes Labor's share of the vote during the Playford years look positively balanced by comparison.

You just got knocked the f out longy  Grin

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:47pm

The new guy will put SA on the map.
There is a new Marshall in town.
Bloody clowns the lot of them.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #51 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:58pm

Doesn't matter what side of politics they are on, the losers always yell, "We was robbed!"

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 7:41am

Bam wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 5:14pm:

I can happily exclude elections before my birth and the rest were before I could vote so... why should I have to care about that?

But what a remarkable example to us of 1998 when the libs won on 49.98%.  You do get the difference between a one-off like that of the tiniest of proportions and that of 4 elections in a row with a 1-3% difference as it was in SA? In any extremely close election the 2PP may be just under 50% for a winning party. Thats not a breach of the guiding principle as a simple local issue can tip one seat. The principle is about ensuring that the 2PP and the number of seats align 'as closely as possible', not precisely - given that that is impossible anyhow.

We dont need to change our electoral system in SA. We do however need to ensure that the AEC actually does its job and ensures that re-distributions are done properly and regularly.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:57am

issuevoter wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:58pm:
Doesn't matter what side of politics they are on, the losers always yell, "We was robbed!"

13.7% of the vote is quite significant, but the votes lost all their value as votes, and just discarded

The problem with the system of having to win seats is that all the votes that don't win seats have no value and hence no representation in parliament

What if the vote had been much higher than 13.7%, say 25% or 30%? If they didn't win seats, that high percentage would also be discarded

Voting being compulsory as it is, should mean that every vote has value and never be discarded

A better idea would be to abandon the system of "seats" and allow representation in parliament according to the the percentage a party gets

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:14am

I don't usually look at how-to-vote cards, but I see that Marshall was promoting a donkey vote.

https://strongplan.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Dunstan.pdf

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:57am

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:57am:

13.7% of the vote is quite significant, but the votes lost all their value as votes, and just discarded

The problem with the system of having to win seats is that all the votes that don't win seats have no value and hence no representation in parliament

What if the vote had been much higher than 13.7%, say 25% or 30%? If they didn't win seats, that high percentage would also be discarded

Voting being compulsory as it is, should mean that every vote has value and never be discarded

A better idea would be to abandon the system of "seats" and allow representation in parliament according to the the percentage a party gets

The votes arent 'lost'. Democracy is a 'competitive' institution where competing people parties and polices stand for your votes. That means that there is a winner. If you vote for a party or candidate that loses then your vote is not lost. This is not primary school where everyone is awarded a prize for participation. What makes democracy so powerful and enduring is that people and policies have to fight to be the best.

The problems with representation by percentage area many. In SA, a candidate would have to get at least 2.1% of the vote to get a seat. Do we therefore 'discard' those who voted for candidates less than that?  The other one is that if your people and policies are so poor that you can only get 3% of the vote, why should you be entitled to a seat in parliament at all? As we have seen with close elections between the major parties, an independent can weild vast power despite getting 3% of the vote.

Representative democracy is about the majority of people getting their say. It is hard to do, but allowing people with 3% of the vote ANY say in parliament is a travesty.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:45pm

I thought the senate is % based.  And in order for laws to pass, both house had to agree.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:16pm

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:57am:
Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:57am:

The votes arent 'lost'. Democracy is a 'competitive' institution where competing people parties and polices stand for your votes. That means that there is a winner. If you vote for a party or candidate that loses then your vote is not lost. This is not primary school where everyone is awarded a prize for participation. What makes democracy so powerful and enduring is that people and policies have to fight to be the best.

The problems with representation by percentage area many. In SA, a candidate would have to get at least 2.1% of the vote to get a seat. Do we therefore 'discard' those who voted for candidates less than that?  The other one is that if your people and policies are so poor that you can only get 3% of the vote, why should you be entitled to a seat in parliament at all? As we have seen with close elections between the major parties, an independent can weild vast power despite getting 3% of the vote.

Representative democracy is about the majority of people getting their say. It is hard to do, but allowing people with 3% of the vote ANY say in parliament is a travesty.

It was 13.7% for SA Best, not 2.1 or 3%

That 13.7% could go close to 200,000 people whose votes lost their value and were discarded. That's a lot of South Australians who have no say in your powerful and enduring democracy

You want voting to be compulsory, but you don't want every vote to have equal value - bastardtry, to say the least

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print