SA Election (Read 12941 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
SA Election
Feb 18th, 2018 at 7:55pm

This is what the latest polls suggest

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/xenophons-sa-best-leading-newspolls-popula...

The latest poll, published in the Australian newspaper, shows 32 per cent of SA voters intend to direct their first preference votes to SA Best during the March election, compared to the Liberal Party on 29 per cent and Labor on 27 per cent.

I guess this will come down to preferences if these numbers are right.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: SA Election
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:27pm

It will be enlightening to see the result of redrawn electoral boundaries.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:46am

lee wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:27pm:

How many have been redrawn ? From what I can see badly timed sneezing could see any party govern even SA Best.

What is clear to me is voter dissatisfaction with both ALP / LNP.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:23am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:46am:

How many have been redrawn ? From what I can see badly timed sneezing could see any party govern even SA Best.

I don't know. But Labor complained mightily.

"A Labor Party appeal against a significant revision of South Australia's state electoral boundaries has been dismissed by the full bench of the Supreme Court.
Key points:

Four Labor-held seats are now notionally Liberal
    ALP unhappy some country votes hold more weight than city ones
    Labor will consider seeking the High Court hear the matter

The revision drastically changed many of the state's electorates and made four Labor-held seats notionally Liberal — Colton, Elder, Mawson and Newland."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/sa-electoral-boundaries-challenge-dismisse...

There has been no High Court challenge.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:28am

lee wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:23am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:46am:

I don't know. But Labor complained mightily.

"A Labor Party appeal against a significant revision of South Australia's state electoral boundaries has been dismissed by the full bench of the Supreme Court.
Key points:

Four Labor-held seats are now notionally Liberal
    ALP unhappy some country votes hold more weight than city ones
    Labor will consider seeking the High Court hear the matter

The revision drastically changed many of the state's electorates and made four Labor-held seats notionally Liberal — Colton, Elder, Mawson and Newland."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/sa-electoral-boundaries-challenge-dismisse...

There has been no High Court challenge.

From memory (correct me if I am wrong) the last election the LNP got more votes ..... if that is correct an electoral redraw will for change the result if the vote is replicated.

To be honest SA is in such a mess I would not want to be in power Smiley It might be interesting to see Nick the pommy Cyprian (Smiley) govern.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:22pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:28am:
if that is correct an electoral redraw will for change the result if the vote is replicated.

Not necessarily. It depends on where the votes go in each election. In some seats could be a higher Labor vote which might not change anything. It can be as simple as more Labor/Liberal move into a marginal seat. Demographics change.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:55pm

lee wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:22pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:28am:
if that is correct an electoral redraw will for change the result if the vote is replicated.

Not necessarily. It depends on where the votes go in each election. In some seats could be a higher Labor vote which might not change anything. It can be as simple as more Labor/Liberal move into a marginal seat. Demographics change.

I think you mean in each electorate yes it does but if the LNP gets more votes and just lost a redistribution is more likely to favour the LNP.

Lets see if the Pommy Cyprian can win Smiley

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:42pm

The SA Labor Government recently privatized the Lands Title Office and accumulated $.16 billion for the treasury.

"Making the announcement in Parliament on Thursday, Mr Koutsantonis said Land Services SA — a consortium of Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board — would maintain over-the-counter services at the Adelaide Lands Titles Office and customers would “not notice any difference to the service”.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/state-government-privatises-l...

First of all, I think that this is completely unacceptable: selling a public asset which has a monopoly to a private company. Clearly prices will reflect the consortium's future profit targets (otherwise why would they have bought it).

I wonder what members think about this?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
The SA Labor Government recently privatized the Lands Title Office and accumulated $.16 billion for the treasury.

"Making the announcement in Parliament on Thursday, Mr Koutsantonis said Land Services SA — a consortium of Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board — would maintain over-the-counter services at the Adelaide Lands Titles Office and customers would “not notice any difference to the service”.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/state-government-privatises-l...

First of all, I think that this is completely unacceptable: selling a public asset which has a monopoly to a private company. Clearly prices will reflect the consortium's future profit targets (otherwise why would they have bought it).

Federally the ALP have sold off more public assets then the LNP so politically it a non argument unless the Pommy Cyprian wants to buy it back.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:09pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:01pm:

Federally the ALP have sold off more public assets then the LNP so politically it a non argument unless the Pommy Cyprian wants to buy it back.

Would you support the buyback of public assets?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 4:55pm

Nick has always been very popular in SA... however has he ever been put to the test????>....

as far as I know if he wins big time and a few party members they will all be new boys.....

as someone has pointed out SA is a mess....

will new team members be able to fix it? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:32am

Auggie wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:09pm:

My general answer would be a no, for a buy back to happen the private operator would need to be highly incompetent ..... I am  case by case person on selling off public assets and its a dumb assumption that the left wing brain makes that everything is run better by the government.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:36am

cods wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Nick has always been very popular in SA... however has he ever been put to the test????>....

as far as I know if he wins big time and a few party members they will all be new boys.....

as someone has pointed out SA is a mess....

will new team members be able to fix it? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yes the Pommy Cyprian seems to be a barking dog on the sideline but SA government does set a very low bar that any muppet could match. Good luck to him and hopefully for the people of SA they get a good government .... the ALP has let that state down big time and should be booted out !

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 10:09am

RightSaidFred wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:32am:
Auggie wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:09pm:

My general answer would be a no, for a buy back to happen the private operator would need to be highly incompetent ..... I am  case by case person on selling off public assets and its a dumb assumption that the left wing brain makes that everything is run better by the government.

they dont give a stuff about that.....its the control back into ,the hands of the union......thats where they have 3 men to each job...one fixing one holding the ladder one  making sure no one walks under the ladder..... hes in charge of a safe workplace  you see... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

do you think its time we saw some balance sheets at the end of their terms....how they have spent everyone dollar??.....we seem to get nothing at all from our govts that proves they are efficient and worthy of the job..

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Smoke/fire, cods, so on that basis, this must be true.

Link.

Quote:
Opposition Leader Steven Marshall has admitted Chinese mining magnate Sally Zou has been to his house, but stressed he had not received any personal gifts from her.

This morning Mr Marshall faced further questioning over a potential $1.2 million donation from Ms Zou, which she tweeted about last week.

Now, more information about the $1,212,018 cheque has emerged — it appears to be the same date as Mr Marshall's birthday.

In a tweet, Labor Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis pointed out the exact amount of the donation spelled out Mr Marshall's birthday this year, January 21, 2018.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print