Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
What is a Conservative? (Read 11055 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: What is a Conservative?
Reply #90 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:31pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:19pm:
You're asking me about the American college system. I was discussing the SSM plebiscite. Let's setlle at 75, say, public defecation in Kolkata.

No, let's settle on the fact that a multi-million dollar national survey to stall a parliamentary ballot on a completely useless piece of legislation is what modern politics is all about.

It is a jolly world, no?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:35pm

Add to that the fact the survey was meant to guide government and wasn't even conclusive. Now, on to India's national pastime.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:30pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:35pm:
Add to that the fact the survey was meant to guide government and wasn't even conclusive. Now, on to India's national pastime.

Sodomy? Yes, let's.

Paneer jalfreezi's been covered to death.

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:56pm

[/quote]

Nonsense. Only married couples can raise families, as every schoolboy - as Augie - knows.
[/quote]

Their is not weight to your argument. Facts and research prove this to be wrong. It is merely an opinion. If you can highlight to me that there is no cases where same sex couple successfully raised a family, provide me the evidence. Your post loose and meaningless words.

To prove your point research from Same-sex parented families in Australia by Deborah Dempsey and the guardian highlight this notion of the success of raising a family at the same level and even better than heterosexual partners.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #94 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 11:01am

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:56pm:
goldkam wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:50pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:34am:
Something you add to your pickles to keep it in a jar?

A Greek waiter?

The length of time a con man serves in prison?

Same sex couples don't 'have' children - they inherit them or buy them.... how many of these lesbian couples are receiving payment from the fathers of the children - who are cut out of the loop?  What's 'independent' and 'equal' about that?  Two sheilas with kids could live without working and would certainly prosper far more than the former sperm donors.

Another 'unintended' consequence? No wonder there's a war on in this nation.

I actually disagree with that statement. A gay man can donate his sperm and 'have' a child through surrogacy, or in-vitro fertilisation. Same as a lesbian woman can donate her eggs to be fertilised or pass through surrogacy, thus they too can have children. This process is just frowned upon by some as an unnatural process or as not having a place in our society.

I pose this point to you......if a heterosexual couple are unable to conceive a child and have to go through surrogacy. Thus the father donates his sperm and passes it on to a surrogate mother. Does this then mean that they, as a heterosexual couple, cannot have children??? They are still conceiving a child that has some genetical material of their own, through an alternative method.

I am unsure of that happening within Australian society, I am sure it does however I have never read about. Have you got a news article or statistics on those happenings?

In that case their is nothing "equal" or "independent" regarding that. However that is not a justification to completely ban or go against same sex marriage. If a father in a heterosexual relationship leaves his wife alone with two children, it does not pose the question that heterosexual marriage should not continue to be allowed or demonised in any way. 

Nonsense. Only married couples can raise families, as every schoolboy - as Augie - knows.

Now now Karnal, be nice.

My point is that the heterosexual couple is the best form of family there is.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 12:02pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 11:01am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:56pm:
goldkam wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:50pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:34am:
Something you add to your pickles to keep it in a jar?

A Greek waiter?

The length of time a con man serves in prison?

Same sex couples don't 'have' children - they inherit them or buy them.... how many of these lesbian couples are receiving payment from the fathers of the children - who are cut out of the loop?  What's 'independent' and 'equal' about that?  Two sheilas with kids could live without working and would certainly prosper far more than the former sperm donors.

Another 'unintended' consequence? No wonder there's a war on in this nation.

I actually disagree with that statement. A gay man can donate his sperm and 'have' a child through surrogacy, or in-vitro fertilisation. Same as a lesbian woman can donate her eggs to be fertilised or pass through surrogacy, thus they too can have children. This process is just frowned upon by some as an unnatural process or as not having a place in our society.

I pose this point to you......if a heterosexual couple are unable to conceive a child and have to go through surrogacy. Thus the father donates his sperm and passes it on to a surrogate mother. Does this then mean that they, as a heterosexual couple, cannot have children??? They are still conceiving a child that has some genetical material of their own, through an alternative method.

I am unsure of that happening within Australian society, I am sure it does however I have never read about. Have you got a news article or statistics on those happenings?

In that case their is nothing "equal" or "independent" regarding that. However that is not a justification to completely ban or go against same sex marriage. If a father in a heterosexual relationship leaves his wife alone with two children, it does not pose the question that heterosexual marriage should not continue to be allowed or demonised in any way. 

Now now Karnal, be nice.

My point is that the heterosexual couple is the best form of family there is.

You think? Over the years many different social models have been suggested: Plato's Republic, Moore's Utopia, Rouseau's noble savages, the Paris Commune, the Communist Manifesto, etc, etc, etc.

Families were never just a heterosexual couple until the Victorian nuclear family. A family once consisted of extended kin. Breastfeeding was often shared by different mothers. The only reason you think the nuclear family is the best form is what Marx called ideology: you've internalised the economic model we're structured in.

The economic superstructure is is the reason different family models fail. Quite a few were tried in the 60s and 70s: the Manson "Family," the Hare Krishnas, radical lesbian communities, etc. They didn't fail because they were inherently inferior to the nuclear family, they failed because they didn't fit into the economy.

Look at the difference with the Mormons. Some live in faith-based communities in polygamous families. They haven't died out because they build very successful businesses (with very cheap labour - all the sons they create).

The nuclear family is the current way to fit people into the wider economic model of capitalism, that's all.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #96 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:06pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 12:02pm:
You think? Over the years many different social models have been suggested: Plato's Republic, Moore's Utopia, Rouseau's noble savages, the Paris Commune, the Communist Manifesto, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, social models, but those social models didn't say anything about alternative families outside of a husband and wife, did they? The 'natural' family was just considered common-sense, and has been for since the rise of Christianity.

Families were never just a heterosexual couple until the Victorian nuclear family. A family once consisted of extended kin. Breastfeeding was often shared by different mothers. The only reason you think the nuclear family is the best form is what Marx called ideology: you've internalised the economic model we're structured in.

Of course it was heterosexual; I don't know any historical homosexual families that existed. The fact that breastfeeding was shared by different mothers indicate the man/woman family structure. Men can't breastfeed, can they?

I like your Marxist analogy: internalizing the economic model we're structured in. That's very insightful. What I would say is that the development of the nuclear family no longer included grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. The economic structure of post-WW2 capitalism meant that more and more families were confined to 2 parents and their children, rather than including other members of the family. These economic changes didn't change the fundamental structure of the heterosexual family, did it?

The economic superstructure is is the reason different family models fail. Quite a few were tried in the 60s and 70s: the Manson "Family," the Hare Krishnas, radical lesbian communities, etc. They didn't fail because they were inherently inferior to the nuclear family, they failed because they didn't fit into the economy.

Those example you gave were cults: of course they didn't work as intended because it was premised on power and exploitation, rather than having the purpose of raising a family. That's why we've outlawed polygamy because it is exploitative in nature.

The nuclear family is the current way to fit people into the wider economic model of capitalism, that's all.

Again, the nuclear family wasn't about the creation of a heterosexual family, it was about the exclusion of other family members such as grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:37pm

Plato, Moore, Rousseau and Marx all had things to say about bringing up citizens. Children were seen as owned by the state, not their parents. This is the fundamental point of the social contract.

And yes, the nuclear family is a distinct shift from the extended family. The nuclear family is a middle class phenomenon. In India, for example, only middle class people have the freedom to live together as couples with their 2.5 children. The rest of the country lives with parents and in-laws and heaps of kids. Your choice of partner is restricted - most marriages are arranged. Wives are responsible for their husband's parents. Parents - and even siblings - are responsible for getting their daughters and sisters married off.

The whole model is about child care, aged care and the welfare of women and girls. We outsource many of these functions in our society, and women are fully included in the labour market. With the rise of the atomised individual, we've forgotten that for much of our lives, we're dependent on parents, partners or carers to survive. This is also capitalist ideology.

On the extended family, consider the politics of Romeo and Juliet - "two houses both alike in dignity", not families. "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, a pair of star crossed lovers take their life" in order to mend their parent's strife.

The Montagues and Capulets made up the "blood" of the city. Such extended families never lived in isolation. The "chemistry" Shakespeare described in this play was not just about love, but the interrelationship of extended families. Mercutio even makes a joke about Juliet's wet nurse. This nurse gets more lines than either of Juliet's parents. She sees Juliet as her own daughter.

Our own sense of family is fundamentally different to Elizabethan England. The change? Capitalism.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:42pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #98 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm

@Karnal,

Do you agree that the constant in al those equations was the heterosexual family?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #99 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:50pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:47pm:
@Karnal,

Do you agree that the constant in al those equations was the heterosexual family?

By equations do you mean the Republic, the Utopia, etc?

The only constant I can see is the male providing the seed and the female providing the womb.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #100 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:56pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:50pm:
@Karnal,

The only constant I can see is the male providing the seed and the female providing the womb.

No, I’m talking about the fact that marriage was deemed to be exclusively between a man and a woman because of its social utility in raising and nurturing children. Even if they belonged to the state, there were responsibilities on the family.

Aristotle wouldn’t have valued homosexual marriages or the legal recognition thereof because there was value to the state. Right?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 8:17pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:56pm:
@Karnal,

No, I’m talking about the fact that marriage was deemed to be exclusively between a man and a woman because of its social utility in raising and nurturing children. Even if they belonged to the state, there were responsibilities on the family.

Aristotle wouldn’t have valued homosexual marriages or the legal recognition thereof because there was value to the state. Right?

No one values hommersexual marriage, Augie. History is pretty consistent on this.

I don't think anyone really cares about it today, either. Do a poll in the US, NZ England or Ireland.

I'll bet they've forgotten it even exists.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #102 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 8:42am

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 8:17pm:
@Karnal,

No one values hommersexual marriage, Augie. History is pretty consistent on this.

I don't think anyone really cares about it today, either. Do a poll in the US, NZ England or Ireland.

Sure, most people support same-sex marriage, but that's because a lot of people, such as yourself, don't believe that there's really any difference in a post-family society. They're putting the individual over the family unit.

My belief is that the natural family (with a mother and father) has more social utility than other types of families or family structures. Sure, a gay couple can raise children as well as a heterosexual couple but we all know that milk directly from the breast is better for the child than bottled milk.

As a policy measure, I think what we should think about is the idea of 'privatizing' marriage. This doesn't mean abolishing marriage completely. What it means is that we remove the legal definition of marriage and replace it with 'civil unions for all', regardless of sexual orientation. A civil union confers the same legal benefits as marriage, but it's just not called 'marriage'. Marriage should be left to religious institutions or authorized celebrants, who can confer additional status as 'married' if the person so chooses.

This makes sense in a 'post-family' society where marriage has largely become transient and transactional.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:55am

Auggie wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 8:42am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 8:17pm:
@Karnal,

Sure, most people support same-sex marriage, but that's because a lot of people, such as yourself, don't believe that there's really any difference in a post-family society. They're putting the individual over the family unit.

My belief is that the natural family (with a mother and father) has more social utility than other types of families or family structures. Sure, a gay couple can raise children as well as a heterosexual couple but we all know that milk directly from the breast is better for the child than bottled milk.

True, but you don't need a marriage certificate to breastfeed.

In some places, most families are now single-parent families - mothers. This is now possible because the state has become responsible for sole-parent incomes and child care.

In the past, the church was responsible. Unmarried mothers went to institutions hidden from the rest of society, or had their children removed and adopted out. Prior to that, they were placed in work houses, or lived in slums, or worked in prostitution.

Many single-mothers around the world are sex workers today. What else do you do in a country without state income support? Marriage is largely a contract designed to keep men supporting the mother of their kids. Once mothers don't require this support, the institution of marriage will naturally break off, fading into irrelevance.

Marriage is not an irrelevance in developing countries without social security or paid maternal leave. But it is here.

I don't think it would be conservative to change our policies to those of India or Bangladesh, for example. This would be a radical change.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #104 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 12:01pm

A worn out rubbery thing you use when fkking the people over?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print