Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
This guy should be banned for life ! (Read 6763 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: This guy should be banned for life !
Reply #75 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:54pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:52am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:41am:
Passenger conversation is much safer than conversation on the cell phone,’’ said David Strayer, professor of psychology at the University of Utah and the study’s lead author.

“When you’re in the same physical environment, you tend to adjust your discussions to the difficulty of driving. If driving becomes difficult, they stop talking or they point out hazards.’’

I tend to get annoyed if people chatter at me while I'm driving... I'm the one with the mirrors and I am very serious about my driving and like to keep touch with what's around me, and being partly deaf doesn't help either, since any chat often needs repeating and becomes annoying.

Rule #2 - NEVER argue with the driver while he is driving...

People have been known to slam their foot to the floor and crash to shut you up... NEVER enrage the driver with silly argument....

ANY distraction is potentially deadly - a woman with two kids in the back on The Old Northern Road where I used to drive every day lost it and ran off the road and killed both kids.... distracted instead of driving.

Let the driver drive - and nothing else.

When my kid's in the front seat I flick her on the leg and when she tried to retaliate I say nah remember the  no disturbing the driver rule!!

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:55pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:15am:
Gnads wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:12am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:57am:
Gnads wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:54am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:42am:
Gnads wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 7:35am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:56am:
cods wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:36am:
its a shocker isnt it....so cruel so unnecessary 

one lost a leg   how bloody devastating.....

I dont know what the answer is... believe me taking away a licence doesnt keep them off the road...

maybe its time they came up with a phone that doesnt work inside a moving vehicle....

my heart goes out to these cops...

That's exactly what's needed.

As soon as the engine starts, it blocks all signals to the phone.

Is that necessary? .... every vehicle should have "bluetooth".

Hands free operation.

Even my last portable GPS has bluetooth & voice command.

Maybe phone operation could be disabled unless it's in a cradle & connected to bluetooth.

Studies all over the world have proven that hands free operation is still dangerous.

Engine on = phone off.

Simples!

My phone is put on silent, and then placed in the glove box when I drive.

Then so is operating the car wipers, indicators, radio, rear wipers, flicking swithches even those on your steering column and the cruise control & talking to other people in the car.

The idea of being a capable driver is your ability to multi task and use your peripheral vision.

If you can't use bluetooth to talk to someone .. virtually the same as to a passenger in your car then you shouldn't be driving a vehicle.

Peccar you better stick to a peddle car.

"A hands-free phone conversation while driving is just as dangerous as one using a hand-held phone, with both drivers taking a second longer to react, a Queensland study finds."

So you don't speak to passengers in your car?

When are they going to do a study on that & all the other tasks you do when driving & the effects that has?

Can you ever address a subject without repetitious pedantry?

"... chatty passengers tend to pose less of a risk than mobile phone conversations because they usually moderate the conversation when hazards arise, but someone on the end of the phone is oblivious to other demands on the driver and to non-verbal cues that might otherwise stem the flow of chat." 

Then Peccar it's up to the driver to further multi task by asking his caller or recipient to hang on something is happening ... pretty simples.

You're a nanny state bubble wrapping pedantic.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:58pm

Passenger conversation is much safer than conversation on the cell phone,’’ said David Strayer, professor of psychology at the University of Utah and the study’s lead author.

“When you’re in the same physical environment, you tend to adjust your discussions to the difficulty of driving. If driving becomes difficult, they stop talking or they point out hazards.’’

I tend to get annoyed if people chatter at me while I'm driving... I'm the one with the mirrors and I am very serious about my driving and like to keep touch with what's around me, and being partly deaf doesn't help either, since any chat often needs repeating and becomes annoying.

People have been known to slam their foot to the floor and crash to shut you up... NEVER enrage the driver with silly argument....

ANY distraction is potentially deadly - a woman with two kids in the back on The Old Northern Road where I used to drive every day lost it and ran off the road and killed both kids.... distracted instead of driving.

Ever been on a Tour Bus?

Drivers have to use the on board PA to give spiels on the sights whilst driving.

Peccar take note.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:25pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:58pm:

Ever been on a Tour Bus?

Drivers have to use the on board PA to give spiels on the sights whilst driving.

Peccar take note.

When you’re in the same physical environment, you tend to adjust your discussions to the difficulty of driving.

"If driving becomes difficult, they stop talking or they point out hazards.
’’

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #79 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:44pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:32am:
I remember a few years back a Truckie arguing that professional drivers like Truckies should have more points as they drive more ...... I actually think the opposite, I would put them on P-Plater points ! If you need your license for income then you really need to respect the law.

I worked as a pizza delivery driver for a couple years the first time I got my provisional licence. I lost my licence the first year of obtaining it, from the accumulation of demerit points. One was from a red light infringement. Another was from not wearing a seatbelt. I had to get a letter from work saying that I needed my licence for work purposes. The judge who saw my appeal to get my licence restored took pity on me for the red light offence. He told me that I should have challenged the ticket because I was just over the line and not running a red light. I would have had a driving without due attention fine instead of a red light offence. Then I would not have had as much of a fine or demerit points against me.

I would assume that, provided it was not a serious accumulation of traffic offences, truckies would argue the same about the need to have a licence for a job. The general idea is that we should not penalise people for using a car for work purposes, unless they have caused serious crashes and/or injured someone.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:53pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:44pm:
I remember a few years back a Truckie arguing that professional drivers like Truckies should have more points as they drive more ...... I actually think the opposite, I would put them on P-Plater points ! If you need your license for income then you really need to respect the law.

I worked as a pizza delivery driver for a couple years the first time I got my provisional licence. I lost my licence the first year of obtaining it, from the accumulation of demerit points. One was from a red light infringement. Another was from not wearing a seatbelt. I had to get a letter from work saying that I needed my licence for work purposes. The judge who saw my appeal to get my licence restored took pity on me for the red light offence. He told me that I should have challenged the ticket because I was just over the line and not running a red light. I would have had a driving without due attention fine instead of a red light offence. Then I would not have had as much of a fine or demerit points against me.

I would assume that, provided it was not a serious accumulation of traffic offences, truckies would argue the same about the need to have a licence for a job. The general idea is that we should not penalise people for using a car for work purposes, unless they have caused serious crashes and/or injured someone.

I couldn't disagree more.

There should be no such thing as an 'Extraordinary Licence'.

If losing your licence means losing your job, good!

Maybe that'll teach them not to do it again.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #81 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:03pm

The number of times that I did 70 in a 60 zone, or 80 in a 70 zone, or 90 in the only 80 zone (in Parkhurst) during my work days. If I got fined once for speeding, I guess I have to concentrate on my driving speed more thoroughly. But it is so easy to get done over a three year period. So, even if I was not driving my car for work purposes (saying driving a taxi), I could easily lose my licence just in those rare moments of concentrating on my destination and not the journey.

I would think it unfair if I had to catch the taxi to work 5 days a week, simply because of a demerit accumulation. But I would not think it unfair if I was drink driving, texting, in a serious car accident, and/or worse to lose my licence. Getting a licence for work (and being barred from driving for none work matters is a fair practice. But if I lose my licence for work - then it is too bad.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #82 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:12pm

But a truckie operates a 30 tonne + vehicle public safety is a bigger issue then their desire to meet schedules and get paid more.

When we order take away I just drive down and pick it up delivery drivers can take 30-45 minutes especially if you are at the end of the run.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #83 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:23pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:03pm:
The number of times that I did 70 in a 60 zone, or 80 in a 70 zone, or 90 in the only 80 zone (in Parkhurst) during my work days. If I got fined once for speeding, I guess I have to concentrate on my driving speed more thoroughly. But it is so easy to get done over a three year period. So, even if I was not driving my car for work purposes (saying driving a taxi), I could easily lose my licence just in those rare moments of concentrating on my destination and not the journey.

I would think it unfair if I had to catch the taxi to work 5 days a week, simply because of a demerit accumulation. But I would not think it unfair if I was drink driving, texting, in a serious car accident, and/or worse to lose my licence. Getting a licence for work (and being barred from driving for none work matters is a fair practice. But if I lose my licence for work - then it is too bad.

No  there needs to be consequences for breaking the law, its been over a decade since I have been fined and the last one was a pathetic 90 in an 80 zone with no one on the road at about 11pm.

Not sure why you need to catch a taxi to work ..... I assume you have buses/trains/feet ?

Back in the 90's the company I was working for moved to about 8 km's from where I live. The wife use to drop me off with a mountain bike. It was a rather amusing ride home the first 4 km's were a very steep hill followed by another steep hill, got the mountain bike up to 72.9 KPH, you stop pedalling after 55 with the standard gearing. I use to over take cars, got home in 15 minutes or so the last 4km you had to actually pedal.

Look at the e-bike thread in technically speaking a bike like that would be great for short commutes !

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #84 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:28pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:53pm:

Its all about respect, if you don't respect the law the law won't respect you.

I will admit for someone doing food delivery it would be easy to get done by red lights and suburban speed cameras but the law is the law.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:33pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:53pm:

Its all about respect, if you don't respect the law the law won't respect you.

I will admit for someone doing food delivery it would be easy to get done by red lights and suburban speed cameras but the law is the law.

Indeed.

I don't care what food they're delivering, or how many times a day that deliver it, you don't go through red lights and you don't speed.

Full stop!

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #86 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:39pm

Quote:
  . chatty passengers tend to pose less of a risk than mobile phone conversations because they usually moderate the conversation when hazards arise, but someone on the end of the phone is oblivious to other demands on the driver and to non-verbal cues that might otherwise stem the flow of chat."      

What a load of shite.

Passengers are even more of a danger.

Noisy kids, annoyed wife, drunk mates.

What planet are you in peccamitty.

It may be ok for being a technology afraid to use mobile phones.
It's true that WA is 50 years behind the rest of the country.

Besides, poofs don't have kids, so you are safe there.
And being unsure of you gender must also be confusing.

So you are not distracted by external stimulae.

BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE VOICES IN YOUR HEAD?

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:49pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:39pm:
Quote:
  . chatty passengers tend to pose less of a risk than mobile phone conversations because they usually moderate the conversation when hazards arise, but someone on the end of the phone is oblivious to other demands on the driver and to non-verbal cues that might otherwise stem the flow of chat."      

What a load of shite.

Passengers are even more of a danger.

Noisy kids, annoyed wife, drunk mates.

What planet are you in peccamitty.

It may be ok for being a technology afraid to use mobile phones.
It's true that WA is 50 years behind the rest of the country.

Besides, poofs don't have kids, so you are safe there.
And being unsure of you gender must also be confusing.

So you are not distracted by external stimulae.

BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE VOICES IN YOUR HEAD?

That quote isn't mine.

It's from senior psychology lecturer Dr Graham Hole, of the University of Sussex.

BSc (Hons) Psychology, University College London; PhD University College London

If you think you know better than him, maybe you should let him know.

G.Hole@sussex.ac.uk

I'm sure he'll be interested in your feedback.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:28pm

Who to believe - Valkie, or Dr Graham Hole?

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/1266/research

Undecided

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #89 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:32pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
But a truckie operates a 30 tonne + vehicle public safety is a bigger issue then their desire to meet schedules and get paid more.

When we order take away I just drive down and pick it up delivery drivers can take 30-45 minutes especially if you are at the end of the run.

A truckie has the unfair disadvantage of needing to be at a certain place on a certain schedule. Some commutes are like 800km in 10 hours. Not really possible to do an average 90kmh for 9 hours and an hour for lunch. These truckies crank up the speed to do 110kmh, just to keep their average speed for longer breaks/promptness purposes. Truckies are paid well for their jobs. But they would not need to overdo their speed just to get to their deliveries. Most problems with truckies are usually the fault of the car drivers.

I don't know what you do with yourself if you can't spare 30 minutes waiting for food to be delivered. But in my experience with delivery driving, you are doing delivery drivers a favour. 70% of the business dealings is through people picking up. I remember the feeling of dread assigning deliveries that show and out-the-door time of 30 minutes. I recall the wonder at how the customers might react when you got there. One favourite story I have is when I took a delivery order to some druggo. I quoted him 20 minutes (which is a busy pick up time) for his delivery order. The maker made the order, and I was out the door in 12 minutes. To the customer's home in 15 minutes. The customer seemed like he was joking when he said he had been waiting an hour for his order. I was within 5 minutes earlier than the stated time for his delivery. The guy paid for his order, and I got back from the delivery 3 minutes later and found that the customer had called the manager to talk about lateness. An amazing druggo story, which I never thought would be so bad.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print