Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
This guy should be banned for life ! (Read 6820 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: This guy should be banned for life !
Reply #60 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:41am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:50pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 6:27am:
For an old car you can buy a bluetooth adaptor for less than $50 bucks most modern cars even base models all seem to have bluetooth there is no excuse for not at least using hands free, I see many on low incomes with expensive phones so there is no excuse. as for the fine does not matter what it is if its not thoroughly enforced, waiting for a major accident to apply the rule is rather pathetic.

So, am I charging my phone on these adaptors (one for an iphone)?

There has been an increasing need for me to figure out a way to charge my phone and hands-free answer my phone for calls I seem to get. But I am quite happy to pull over and redial the missed call.

The one I have is Solar powered so it does not need a cigarette lighter socket and no most I see don't charge phones. Look up Ebay they have all sorts or adaptors for cars. I use a power bank that I carry around so I can recharge the phone any where. Very rarely use it as my phone lasts 2-3 days without charging. I drop it on a wireless charger when I get home.

The bluetooth Adaptor is sitting in the office collecting dust, bought new car about 2.5 years ago .... I think it might be impossible to buy a new car without bluetooth these days.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #61 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:51am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:09am:
[quote author=greggerypeccary link=1518830940/1#1 date=1518831214][quote author=RightSaidFred link=1518830940/0#0 date=1518830940]https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-police-commissioner-mick-fuller-s...

A co-worker of mine got done for answering his phone just as he had pulled over to answer it. The technicality was that his engine was still on.

As usual, it's about revenue, not safety. Wouldn't be Australia without nanny-state fines for nanny-state offences, while the real dangers on our roads - like the guy in this crash - get multiple chances to have another go at killing someone.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:02pm by Stig »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:54am

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:42am:
Gnads wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 7:35am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:56am:
cods wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:36am:
its a shocker isnt it....so cruel so unnecessary 

one lost a leg   how bloody devastating.....

I dont know what the answer is... believe me taking away a licence doesnt keep them off the road...

maybe its time they came up with a phone that doesnt work inside a moving vehicle....

my heart goes out to these cops...

That's exactly what's needed.

As soon as the engine starts, it blocks all signals to the phone.

Is that necessary? .... every vehicle should have "bluetooth".

Hands free operation.

Even my last portable GPS has bluetooth & voice command.

Maybe phone operation could be disabled unless it's in a cradle & connected to bluetooth.

Studies all over the world have proven that hands free operation is still dangerous.

Engine on = phone off.

Simples!

My phone is put on silent, and then placed in the glove box when I drive.

Then so is operating the car wipers, indicators, radio, rear wipers, flicking swithches even those on your steering column and the cruise control & talking to other people in the car.

The idea of being a capable driver is your ability to multi task and use your peripheral vision.

If you can't use bluetooth to talk to someone .. virtually the same as to a passenger in your car then you shouldn't be driving a vehicle.

Peccar you better stick to a peddle car.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:55am

Ajax wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:34am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:29am:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-police-commissioner-mick-fuller-s...

So how do you not see a full Booze Bus set up ?

The driver has since been charged with dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm, causing bodily harm by misconduct in charge of a motor vehicle, negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and using a mobile phone when not permitted.

At least they threw the book at him.

These days you need eyes in the back of your head too.

That's what rear view mirrors & reversing cameras are for Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:57am

Gnads wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:54am:

I dont know what the answer is... believe me taking away a licence doesnt keep them off the road...

maybe its time they came up with a phone that doesnt work inside a moving vehicle....

Hands free operation.

Maybe phone operation could be disabled unless it's in a cradle & connected to bluetooth.

Studies all over the world have proven that hands free operation is still dangerous.

Engine on = phone off.

Simples!

Then so is operating the car wipers, indicators, radio, rear wipers, flicking swithches even those on your steering column and the cruise control & talking to other people in the car.

The idea of being a capable driver is your ability to multi task and use your peripheral vision.

If you can't use bluetooth to talk to someone .. virtually the same as to a passenger in your car then you shouldn't be driving a vehicle.

"A hands-free phone conversation while driving is just as dangerous as one using a hand-held phone, with both drivers taking a second longer to react, a Queensland study finds."

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:02am

cods wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:26pm:

Hands free operation.

seriously what about pictures!!!!!  I believe this guy was looking at pictures...make them the phones unusable... unless the engine is switched off..

mobile phones are new....they havent been in use all that long....what did people do before ??? thats right they drove  quite well without having 24/7 communication.....IT WORKED...

Grin Grin I got my first one(nokia) in 1991 & they were out a while before that..... close to 30 years I'd say.

If you can't multi task .... you shouldn't be driving.

The roads are full of people who can't multi task, how they get a license I'll never know, they are nearly as dangerous as some one looking at or texting on a mobile phone.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:03am

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:51pm:
I'm with cods on this, 100%.

She's talking sense, guys.

Nope

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:12am

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:57am:

Hands free operation.

Engine on = phone off.

Simples!

"A hands-free phone conversation while driving is just as dangerous as one using a hand-held phone, with both drivers taking a second longer to react, a Queensland study finds."

So you don't speak to passengers in your car?

When are they going to do a study on that & all the other tasks you do when driving & the effects that has?

Can you ever address a subject without repetitious pedantry?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:13am

cods wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 4:21pm:
Black Orchid wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
The problem is that most people who have killed or maimed others on the roads also think that they have acute multi-tasking skills.

It only takes a split second for something disastrous to happen and if you are on the phone at that precise moment you are behind the eight ball reaction wise.

I'm not talking about texting when you're traveling at 30 meters per second.

Managing a phone conversation in normal follow the leader Sydney traffic isn't too hard.

it is still a distraction......I wonder if firebrigade drivers are allowed a mobile phone.. what about our ambulance drivers... bus drivers taxi drivers....even police... is it ok for all them to use their mobile phones???????

it would appear we cant live without being on them 24/7..

Yes, that's what it's come to for some people.

I know of people who have them by their beds every night - it's the last thing they look at before turning off the light, and the first thing they look at in the morning.

When I go for a walk, either for exercise or just down to the shop, I don't usually take my mobile with me.

Some of my friends find this quite amazing - they just can't understand how I can go for an hour or so without having a mobile phone in my pocket.

When I go overseas - no mobile.

Driving - no mobile (it's turned off and placed in the glove box).

I just don't understand this need to have a phone 24/7.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:13am

Hands free operation.

Engine on = phone off.

Simples!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:15am

Gnads wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:12am:

Hands free operation.

Engine on = phone off.

Simples!

So you don't speak to passengers in your car?

When are they going to do a study on that & all the other tasks you do when driving & the effects that has?

Can you ever address a subject without repetitious pedantry?

"... chatty passengers tend to pose less of a risk than mobile phone conversations because they usually moderate the conversation when hazards arise, but someone on the end of the phone is oblivious to other demands on the driver and to non-verbal cues that might otherwise stem the flow of chat." 

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:41am

Passenger conversation is much safer than conversation on the cell phone,’’ said David Strayer, professor of psychology at the University of Utah and the study’s lead author.

“When you’re in the same physical environment, you tend to adjust your discussions to the difficulty of driving. If driving becomes difficult, they stop talking or they point out hazards.’’

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #72 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:48am

Banning for life would be as effective as with that meth-ed up family killer down south..... you can ban them.... you can't stop them driving, even though they'd be stupid to do so these days with the immediate recognition of vehicles etc.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:49am

Setanta wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:11am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:09am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:33am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:29am:

He was on his phone.

Increase the fines for mobile phone use in a car to $2,000 and 6 demerit points (minimum).

Plus, confiscation and destruction of phone.

$300 is plenty for a fine. It would take a millionaire to not feel the sting of a fine of $300. And it would hurt just as little for the $2000 fine.

A co-worker of mine got done for answering his phone just as he had pulled over to answer it. The technicality was that his engine was still on. The other day, I had to pull over to phone back for a missed call. Considering the heat and humidity of that week, if I pulled up to answer/redial a missed call and was done for the sake of having a car engine running for the sake of airconditioning, I would go ballistic over a $2000 fine.

The damage is already done for this driver's negligence. If the officer could have his foot reattached like new, and all their injuries healed, I am sure a fine and a damage bill issued would be sufficient. But this guy needs gaol.

Fines should be income adjusted. IE a percentage of income.

Yes!

I've always advocated that approach.

A percentage of your weekly income, based on last year's tax return (for example).

For mobile phone use in a car, I'd set it at 150% of average weekly income (before tax).

So, if you're on an average wage of $78,000, you cop a $2,250 fine for using a mobile in a car.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #74 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:52am

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:41am:
Passenger conversation is much safer than conversation on the cell phone,’’ said David Strayer, professor of psychology at the University of Utah and the study’s lead author.

“When you’re in the same physical environment, you tend to adjust your discussions to the difficulty of driving. If driving becomes difficult, they stop talking or they point out hazards.’’

I tend to get annoyed if people chatter at me while I'm driving... I'm the one with the mirrors and I am very serious about my driving and like to keep touch with what's around me, and being partly deaf doesn't help either, since any chat often needs repeating and becomes annoying.

Rule #2 - NEVER argue with the driver while he is driving...

People have been known to slam their foot to the floor and crash to shut you up... NEVER enrage the driver with silly argument....

ANY distraction is potentially deadly - a woman with two kids in the back on The Old Northern Road where I used to drive every day lost it and ran off the road and killed both kids.... distracted instead of driving.

Let the driver drive - and nothing else.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print