Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
This guy should be banned for life ! (Read 6757 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: This guy should be banned for life !
Reply #90 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:51pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:23pm:
No  there needs to be consequences for breaking the law, its been over a decade since I have been fined and the last one was a pathetic 90 in an 80 zone with no one on the road at about 11pm.

The last genuine speeding fine I got was for 72 in a 60 zone due to a moment of road rage. Incidentally, I was raging about a bogus speeding fine I received two weeks earlier. The police prosecutor at my court case accused me of paying the fine straight away to make my current fine seem more illegitimate. I could not understand his reasoning since it cost me more money and demerit points and made me look like a repeat offender. To date, I have received 4 speeding fines -- 2 being genuine, and 2 bogus. I have had to pay for all of them.

Quote:
Not sure why you need to catch a taxi to work ..... I assume you have buses/trains/feet ?

I work in the transport industry and require a car to get to and from work. I also do deliveries from time to time in a truck. If I lose my licence, not only would I have to take an alternate form of transport to work, I would also lose my ability to perform part of my duties.

Quote:
Back in the 90's the company I was working for moved to about 8 km's from where I live. The wife use to drop me off with a mountain bike. It was a rather amusing ride home the first 4 km's were a very steep hill followed by another steep hill, got the mountain bike up to 72.9 KPH, you stop pedalling after 55 with the standard gearing. I use to over take cars, got home in 15 minutes or so the last 4km you had to actually pedal.

32kmh on bike is fairly good going average speed. But you must have been crawling the last 4km if it takes you 4 minutes to do the first 4km. 11 minutes to do 4km is less than 20kmh.

I did from home to school on my racing bike in 3 minutes. 2km journey at 40kmh average speed. I think I could get up to 55kmh on the straights and even uphill doing 40+kmh.

Quote:
Look at the e-bike thread in technically speaking a bike like that would be great for short commutes !

I am terrible with my mountain bike at the moment. I have not rode the bike in over a year. The bike shop said that they would fix my bike for $60 to good working condition. All I need to do is change the tyre tubes. Then I need to have a reason to start using the bike again. So, I don't need to worry about e-bikes just yet.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #91 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:47pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
Who to believe - Valkie, or Dr Graham Hole?

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/1266/research

Undecided

We all know academics are for sale.

Prostitutes who will say anything to obtain funding.

Just look at that mob in QLD who always seem to find exactly what the grubberment want.

This guy is one, UNO, 1 person in a world of several billion people.
He got his funding for this little gem, so he is happy.

Again I reiterate;

If you cannot multitask enough to have a conversation on a phone,
You will never be capable of;
Readin the road for road conditions
Calculating safe cornering speed
Determining, braking distances
Determining when to change lanes
Observe pedestrians
Use the car rdaio
Turning on and off the wipers
Turning on and off the lights
Using blinkers
Using brakes
Using the accelerator
Changing gears
looking at rear view mirrors
looking at the speedo and instruments
Identifying red lights
Identifying traffic signs
acting on same
looking at landscape to determine location
plan a route
etc etc etc

Either you are capable or not

If the answer is not GET OFF THE DAMN ROAD FOOL.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:38pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
Who to believe - Valkie, or Dr Graham Hole?

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/1266/research

Undecided

I certainly don't hold with your BS attitude here in regards to bluetooth/handsfree

& talking to people in the car.

Just admit you're a klutz who can't multi task

& you join the myriad of others running rampant on our roads who can't multi task & couldn't drive a greasy stick up a pigs backside.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #93 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:20pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:51pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:23pm:
No  there needs to be consequences for breaking the law, its been over a decade since I have been fined and the last one was a pathetic 90 in an 80 zone with no one on the road at about 11pm.

The last genuine speeding fine I got was for 72 in a 60 zone due to a moment of road rage. Incidentally, I was raging about a bogus speeding fine I received two weeks earlier. The police prosecutor at my court case accused me of paying the fine straight away to make my current fine seem more illegitimate. I could not understand his reasoning since it cost me more money and demerit points and made me look like a repeat offender. To date, I have received 4 speeding fines -- 2 being genuine, and 2 bogus. I have had to pay for all of them.

Quote:
Not sure why you need to catch a taxi to work ..... I assume you have buses/trains/feet ?

I work in the transport industry and require a car to get to and from work. I also do deliveries from time to time in a truck. If I lose my licence, not only would I have to take an alternate form of transport to work, I would also lose my ability to perform part of my duties.

Quote:
Back in the 90's the company I was working for moved to about 8 km's from where I live. The wife use to drop me off with a mountain bike. It was a rather amusing ride home the first 4 km's were a very steep hill followed by another steep hill, got the mountain bike up to 72.9 KPH, you stop pedalling after 55 with the standard gearing. I use to over take cars, got home in 15 minutes or so the last 4km you had to actually pedal.

32kmh on bike is fairly good going average speed. But you must have been crawling the last 4km if it takes you 4 minutes to do the first 4km. 11 minutes to do 4km is less than 20kmh.

I did from home to school on my racing bike in 3 minutes. 2km journey at 40kmh average speed. I think I could get up to 55kmh on the straights and even uphill doing 40+kmh.

Quote:
Look at the e-bike thread in technically speaking a bike like that would be great for short commutes !

I am terrible with my mountain bike at the moment. I have not rode the bike in over a year. The bike shop said that they would fix my bike for $60 to good working condition. All I need to do is change the tyre tubes. Then I need to have a reason to start using the bike again. So, I don't need to worry about e-bikes just yet.

Most of the first 4KM I was going about 50 kph minimum not really pedalling..... one weekend I rode the opposite direction took me close to an hour fighting gravity. The last 4 I would have been cruising at 20-30.

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:25pm

[/quote]

He was on his phone.

Increase the fines for mobile phone use in a car to $2,000 and 6 demerit points (minimum).

Plus, confiscation and destruction of phone.

[/quote]

I wish this would act a deterrent for most of society. Rather a minority would see this as a deterrent. The lack of obedience with road rules such as speed limits, mobile restrictions and distraction has become a normality in Australia.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #95 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 4:16am

Perhaps we should look at some of the other factors involved in road trauma.

First and foremost is the roads themselves.
Braking, handling, vehicular damage of important components through dreadful and poorly maintained roads.
Bouncing down a broken poorly maintained road with deteriorating gravel, seriously affects the coefficient of friction between the tyres and road.
WE SHOULD BE FINING THE ROADS AND MARINE AND COUNCILS FOR ALLOWING THESE ROADS TO DETERIORATE OR EVEN PERHAPS BUILD THEM PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Then there are the vehicles themselves.
Cheap, unroadworthy, unsafe without well maintained steering and braking components.
ONLY NEW CARS LESS THAN. YEARS OLD WITH THE MOST MODERN SAFETY DEVICES SHOULD BE ALLOWED.

The drivers, just like peccamitty, who believe that as long as they don't speed, everything is ok.
Remember that add where the two men get out and discuss the impending accident?
The real message should be, don't pull out in front of an oncoming vehicle if you can't judge it's speed, not the tired old mantra speed kills.
BAN INCOMPETENT DRIVERS FROM THE ROAD,  IF THEY DONT HAVE THE ABILITY TO DRIVE OR MULTITASK, TAKE THEM OFF THE ROAD.

FINALLY, propagating the myth that speed kills and that if you maintain the speed limit you are safe, is like wearing a crucifix around your neck to protect you.
People must realize that safe driving requires many skills, not just driving slowly.
They need to learn to drive safely, in varying conditions, on pathetic, poorly maintained goat tracks.
How many people truly know why rain is so dangerous after a dry spell?
How many can recover from a skid or aquaplaning?
How many can actually emergency brake without ABS through effective application of brakes without locking up?
How many can think ahead and look for a way out of an accident rather than just hitting the brakes and skidding into a head on?

Speed enforcement is a scam.
A lazy, profitable, ineffective and greedy scam.
Perpetrated by a lazy, incompetent, greedy grubberment

You want to save lives?
Do it in the proven effective way.
FIX THE DAMN ROADS.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 5:18am

Valkie wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 4:16am:
Perhaps we should look at some of the other factors involved in road trauma.

First and foremost is the roads themselves.
Braking, handling, vehicular damage of important components through dreadful and poorly maintained roads.
Bouncing down a broken poorly maintained road with deteriorating gravel, seriously affects the coefficient of friction between the tyres and road.
WE SHOULD BE FINING THE ROADS AND MARINE AND COUNCILS FOR ALLOWING THESE ROADS TO DETERIORATE OR EVEN PERHAPS BUILD THEM PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Then there are the vehicles themselves.
Cheap, unroadworthy, unsafe without well maintained steering and braking components.
ONLY NEW CARS LESS THAN. YEARS OLD WITH THE MOST MODERN SAFETY DEVICES SHOULD BE ALLOWED.

The drivers, just like peccamitty, who believe that as long as they don't speed, everything is ok.
Remember that add where the two men get out and discuss the impending accident?
The real message should be, don't pull out in front of an oncoming vehicle if you can't judge it's speed, not the tired old mantra speed kills.
BAN INCOMPETENT DRIVERS FROM THE ROAD,  IF THEY DONT HAVE THE ABILITY TO DRIVE OR MULTITASK, TAKE THEM OFF THE ROAD.

FINALLY, propagating the myth that speed kills and that if you maintain the speed limit you are safe, is like wearing a crucifix around your neck to protect you.
People must realize that safe driving requires many skills, not just driving slowly.
They need to learn to drive safely, in varying conditions, on pathetic, poorly maintained goat tracks.
How many people truly know why rain is so dangerous after a dry spell?
How many can recover from a skid or aquaplaning?
How many can actually emergency brake without ABS through effective application of brakes without locking up?
How many can think ahead and look for a way out of an accident rather than just hitting the brakes and skidding into a head on?

Speed enforcement is a scam.
A lazy, profitable, ineffective and greedy scam.
Perpetrated by a lazy, incompetent, greedy grubberment

You want to save lives?
Do it in the proven effective way.
FIX THE DAMN ROADS.

No doubt many of our roads are poorly maintained and are continuing to deteriorate, however the correlation between that and dangerous driving is a far fetching comment. The science behind your first point in true, however you add speed, distractions and inexperience into this situation and collectively they cause crashes.

To your next point "pulling out in front of an oncoming vehicle is one of eleven categories with just over 1500 crashes occurring this way in 2016.

Speed is not the sole factor that kills, however it contributes to a vast majority of crashes. Denying statistics and facts that have been provided by governments and various other institutions is ignorant. To further progress my point you cannot simply put out a blanket statement which has no evidence to support this claim. If you can highlight how speeding doesn't kill, provide a reason and statistics instead of just your perception.

According to NSW Transport speed is a factor in over 40% of crashes, if you deny this you are in fact contributing to the problem and the poor culture of todays society. 

At no point did I deny that there were not other factors, of course there are. It would be preposterous to state otherwise.

I don't disagree with your point, there should be much stricter and stringent testing and courses relating to getting you license.

Every single day I drive on the road I get passed by 95% of traffic.....why....because they are speeding. Speeding is a cultural issue that through statistics can be proven as a worthy issue on our roads. The people who highlight it as a profitability are the ones who are getting caught, the ones who slow down for speed camera and speed up once past, the ones who ignore the primary issue pertaining to driving crashes and the primary ones who blame the roads not the human beings driving and in control of the vehicles.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #97 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:31am

goldkam wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 5:18am:
According to NSW Transport speed is a factor in over 40% of crashes, if you deny this you are in fact contributing to the problem and the poor culture of todays society. 

The saying that there's lies, damn lies and statistics applies here. The "over 40%" used to justify our nanny-state speed enforcement regime is actually made up of several different figures.

- vehicles that were speeding at the time of an accident, and could have avoided the accident if they weren't speeding
- vehicles that were speeding at the time of an accident, and could NOT have avoided the accident if they weren't speeding
- vehicles that were NOT speeding at the time of an accident, however their speed was judged to be inappropriate for the conditions anyway.

The government then combines all three and uses it as a justification for more speed cameras, when in reality only a small proportion of accidents are caused by true speed.

It also doesn't wash when you look at figures from other countries. In the UK for example, their government road safety body mentions speed accounting for just 3% of accidents.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #98 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:35am

Stig wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:31am:

The saying that there's lies, damn lies and statistics applies here. The "over 40%" used to justify our nanny-state speed enforcement regime is actually made up of several different figures.

- vehicles that were speeding at the time of an accident, and could have avoided the accident if they weren't speeding
- vehicles that were speeding at the time of an accident, and could NOT have avoided the accident if they weren't speeding
- vehicles that were NOT speeding at the time of an accident, however their speed was judged to be inappropriate for the conditions anyway.

The government then combines all three and uses it as a justification for more speed cameras, when in reality only a small proportion of accidents are caused by true speed.

It also doesn't wash when you look at figures from other countries. In the UK for example, their government road safety body mentions speed accounting for just 3% of accidents.

When someone falls asleep at the wheel and hits a tree, if it's estimated he was doing 1% over the limit SPEED WAS A FACTOR.

IBI

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #99 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:01am

in NSW they have 9 different speed limits, that is way too many most suburbs are 50kph with school zones 40kph ..... I don't see the difference in safety or impact at either speed.

So at schools you have kids near roads ..... don't you have that in every suburb ? I have seen kids playing cricket on the road their behaviour doesn't get any better when they are home. 

A road near me starts at 70kph then goes 80 then 90 .... in about 5km ! that is BS should be the same limit all the way through the 80-90 zones the roads are identical. If there is an issue with the road fix don't just reduce the limit like they did !

What is ignored is driver ability not sure how half the drivers got their license they make so many poor judgements on the road. One annoying thing I find is drivers braking then indicating. There seems to be a notion of blinker optimisation which I don't under stand. If you are intending to turn put the blinker on before you need to brake !

As I have stated elsewhere people's ability to emergency brake or control a slide is never tested. I am a trained Rally Driver and a slippy corner surprised me once..... was only doing 40 kph and something on the road made me do a massive under-steer.  On that topic most drivers do not know what over steer or under steer actually is ..... peoples ability to corner even at low speeds I find dangerous most seem to want to cut through corners.

Police test speed / booze / drugs as its easy ...... following drivers and pulling over for other stuff seems off the agenda !
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:49am by RightSaidFred »  

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #100 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:17am

Gordon wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:35am:

When someone falls asleep at the wheel and hits a tree, if it's estimated he was doing 1% over the limit SPEED WAS A FACTOR.

Yep. Or someone three times the legal BAC who was doing 5km/h over the limit and runs off the road.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 11:04am

Freeway crash driver Aine McGrath was texting before collision, court hears

"Ms McGrath, 26, is on trial in the District Court this week charged with dangerous driving causing Ms Kelly’s death, with prosecutors alleging she was speeding and distracted by her mobile telephone."

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #102 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 11:26am

There are NO fatal accidents at 0.05 PCA........... that is one of those fantasies foisted upon us by paid academics with an intellectual Fascist bent....

Beware of freaks bearing grift..... as for Prof. Hole or whatever - good luck to him - he's in England....

This Is Australia!  (**boots emissary into deep beckoning well where he falls for eternity**).....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #103 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 5:07pm

Quote:
No doubt many of our roads are poorly maintained and are continuing to deteriorate, however the correlation between that and dangerous driving is a far fetching comment. The science behind your first point in true, however you add speed, distractions and inexperience into this situation and collectively they cause crashes.

To your next point "pulling out in front of an oncoming vehicle is one of eleven categories with just over 1500 crashes occurring this way in 2016.

Speed is not the sole factor that kills, however it contributes to a vast majority of crashes. Denying statistics and facts that have been provided by governments and various other institutions is ignorant. To further progress my point you cannot simply put out a blanket statement which has no evidence to support this claim. If you can highlight how speeding doesn't kill, provide a reason and statistics instead of just your perception.

At no point did I deny that there were not other factors, of course there are. It would be preposterous to state otherwise.

I don't disagree with your point, there should be much stricter and stringent testing and courses relating to getting you license.

Every single day I drive on the road I get passed by 95% of traffic.....why....because they are speeding. Speeding is a cultural issue that through statistics can be proven as a worthy issue on our roads. The people who highlight it as a profitability are the ones who are getting caught, the ones who slow down for speed camera and speed up once past, the ones who ignore the primary issue pertaining to driving crashes and the primary ones who blame the roads not the human beings driving and in control of the vehicles.   

Spped, as you have pointed out, will always be involved, however only because you have to actually be moving.

What about the argument,
"If i just went a few Klm/hr faster, I wouldn't have been where the car pulled out at all"

How many accident have been avoided because the car was further down the road than it would have been had it not been speeding?

This is an extrapolation on the illogical argument govco uses to blame speeding.
If the guy in the example had been going faster, he would have been past the guy pulling out before he got to the intersection.
Is this not logical?

You say 95% of driver pass you and you are doing the speed limit, Thats fair enough, no problem.
When I drive with my boat on the back of my car, I travel at what I consider a safe speed.
Usually slower than the posted speed limit and never over 100klm/hr.
This is my choice based on pulling a 1, 1/2 ton boat behind a less than 1 ton of car.

But, if 95% travel faster than you, at the speed limit.
If speed kills why are these 95% of drivers not crashing all over the road?
Why are you not surrounded by carnage?
Because speed itself is not a major factor.
INAPPROPRIATE SPEED IS.

And inappropriate speed can be and often is the posted speed limit under certain conditions.

So, where does that leave us?
Inappropriate speed is the real killer, but its dependent on the conditions and ability of the driver.
This is far too hard for govco, so they look at the lowest common denominator.
Then they post a sped limit without taking into account the other factors.
Therefore they are remiss in not considering these factors.

Then they look at a means by which they can make revenue from the deaths of these people.
Bingo, speed cameras.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 7:03pm

We are far from a nanny state in relation to speed enforcement. I am unable to find those statistics, where it consists of different categories. So I am unsure as to where you conjured that from. Despite that your point is not proven any further. Despite the percentages you may claim there are still accidents due to speeding, highlighting we do have a issue at hand and an undeniable fact. One that needs to be addressed. If speed cameras makes one idiot slow down for 500m I say it is better than nothing. Henceforth, why are you concerned that speed cameras are there if you are doing the speed limit. If you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

3% is still a figure and when put next to the number of accidents in the Uk it is quite alarming. In the UK in 2016 there were over 181,000 road accidents. So if you calculate this and factor in 3% that is just under 6,000 involving speeding. Until that number reduces or is zero speed camera, policing on speed and red light camera should remain in place.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print