Downloading tv series (Read 1563 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Downloading tv series
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:08pm

freediver wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
Rocky some other options:

A PVR to record free to air TV. Plugs straight into your TV.

Use a laptop and connect it to your TV. I do this with a projector. Either copy something to your hard drive or stream over wifi. A $250 laptop should handle this easily.

Look into netflix. It is cheap, and considering the hassle of downloading torrents or copying from a friend it might be worthwhile. They don't have a massive library compared to other providers, but there are some great shows on there. And you simply cancel your subscription when you run out of things to watch. Another good thing about netflix is that it works when the internet connection is too slow for other services like youtube or the online versions of SBS, channel 9, 7 etc. Not sure what their trick is.

Stan and Netflix adjust the quality, according to the internet connection.

If it slows down, they revert to standard definition.

$12 to $14 per month - it's a bargain.

I have both.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:18pm

I have Netflix which is cheap and good but you can also connect your laptop to the TV using an HDMI cable and/or transfer your download to a USB and plug that in.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 8:09pm

freediver wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
Rocky some other options:

A PVR to record free to air TV. Plugs straight into your TV.

Use a laptop and connect it to your TV. I do this with a projector. Either copy something to your hard drive or stream over wifi. A $250 laptop should handle this easily.

Look into netflix. It is cheap, and considering the hassle of downloading torrents or copying from a friend it might be worthwhile. They don't have a massive library compared to other providers, but there are some great shows on there. And you simply cancel your subscription when you run out of things to watch. Another good thing about netflix is that it works when the internet connection is too slow for other services like youtube or the online versions of SBS, channel 9, 7 etc. Not sure what their trick is.

Buy Chromecast device we control the streaming off our Tablets. My PVR can also act as media player like Chromecast and has net port and wifi.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:49am

Recording from tv to a hard drive (PVR) is one thing. But I don't need it. I also don't want to spend $350 for the privilege, when I can do that over the computer for free. I wanted to download from the websites. But now I figure I should just stick to buying cheap box sets. Hell, I must have spent $500 on 15 seasons of CSI. Why stop now? Probably because my father whined about how much money I spent on dvds and tells me just to watch online movies.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:41am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:49am:
Recording from tv to a hard drive (PVR) is one thing. But I don't need it. I also don't want to spend $350 for the privilege, when I can do that over the computer for free. I wanted to download from the websites. But now I figure I should just stick to buying cheap box sets. Hell, I must have spent $500 on 15 seasons of CSI. Why stop now? Probably because my father whined about how much money I spent on dvds and tells me just to watch online movies.

The have 2 PVR's (house has two lounge rooms) they cost about $300 one died after about 5 years replaced it with a very hi-tech on for even cheaper. The other one is till gong so given how long they last they are cheap. I have to admit I don't use them much now (use streaming) but the new one is wifi enabled and can play Netflix/Foxtel/Stan.

I have not bought a DVD for over a decade, if we really like a movie we will go to the Cinema or in the past we hired DVD's (have not done that for ages either) .... streaming is very cheap and easy. Someone gave me a box set of the British comedy Black Books a while back ..... box has never been opened.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:53pm

I think I might give up on the subject. Besides, I can always sit in a comfortable chair and watch streaming videos of my favourite tv series. It is not like I need to lay in bed to watch the tv series -- especially since I would not be watching more than a 40-minute show more than once a day.

My new pursuit is to get a soundbar and subwoofer for my bedroom tv. Getting a little tired of watching a tv series or movie on headphones.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:57pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
I think I might give up on the subject. Besides, I can always sit in a comfortable chair and watch streaming videos of my favourite tv series. It is not like I need to lay in bed to watch the tv series -- especially since I would not be watching more than a 40-minute show more than once a day.

My new pursuit is to get a soundbar and subwoofer for my bedroom tv. Getting a little tired of watching a tv series or movie on headphones.

This would be my suggestion:

Bose Solo 5

Sounds great, and comes with a universal remote.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:49pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 1:53pm:

Depends on your budget, I picked up a cheapy for games lounge room for $70 runs at 20 Watt max which is noisy enough for Call of Duty.

Kogan has a good one for around $100 might annoy the neighbours.

If you have big budget you can buy ones that will annoy your neighbours neighbour. In the old days I had a 200 W RMS per channel amp with big speakers .... that could annoy the whole street.

I know one guy who builds 1000 Watt amps and Ceramic speakers to match. Microsoft paid him 10k to build a prototype for them. These things can annoy a whole suburb.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 3:36am

I found a good sound bar and subwoofer for sale for $699. I want to pay less than $500 for both. But I won't pay up to $1000 for something of similar quality to something for $700.

I switched over tv when my old tv gave up. I switched to blu ray when my dvd player died. I will wait for the prices to come down before I get a new sound system. Quite happy to use the headphones over the winter.

IP Logged

Dr Mengele

Australian Politics

The Fourth Reich
Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:12pm

Bittorent + private trackers + fast connection = win

I have over 20TB of movies and TV series  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print