Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
We will have to hire God (Read 2476 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: We will have to hire God
Reply #45 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:28pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:53pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:47pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 8:39pm:
Ask the ICAO.

https://www.icao.int/about-icao/Pages/default.aspx

They set the standards.
They have all systems monitored by humans.

That is not my point Bobby, if humans are better, why are they not doing the job? Oversight is one thing, another redundancy for the sake of safety or extreme circumstances. Computers do the job and do it better.

In low vis all passenger airliners will be landed by computer. All airliners must be landed by autopilot at regular intervals to make sure the systems are working. The human pilot can choose to land it or not but it's not needed but they must keep their skills up just in case, oversight.

Why are they not doing the job?
1000s of scientists and engineers have determined that human oversight is required.
It's the same as nuclear war -
ultimately a human must press the button - not a machine.

That is because humans do not trust machines and they can make mistakes but they make far fewer mistakes than humans. It's just the last line in redundancy, it's not a bad thing but it is what it is. You are far safer in a computer's hands in an aircraft 99.9% of the time.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 10:35pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:08pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:04pm:
It is a great example, of the state of technology 20 years ago. How do you imagine the modern computer controlled cars navigate the streets? magic?

I will concede that many drivers fall far short of the skill that a computer would have.

When you consider the number of drivers off their brains on ice and other drugs
I would rather a computer was controlling their car.

But you just explained that without consciousness, a computer driven car cannot respond to random events like something walking out in front of it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #47 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:44pm

The problem with driverless cars is, sooner or later it is going to have to make an ethical decision.

Say you are the sole occupant in a driverless car and for what ever reason you are about to be in an accident that will be fatal. The only option the car has to avoid this fatal accident is to swerve onto the footpath were a family (mum, dad, two kids) are walking.

The computer in the car will need to make a decision. Does it swerve, saving it's sole occupant but killing 4 people or does it play the numbers game and just kill you?

If driverless cars become a reality then you will soon be able to buy a car that is programed, in some instances, to kill you.

Raven is not sure humans will accept that. We can accept a human driver swerving to save his life. It's human nature. We might not agree with, we might condemn the driver but deep down we accept it. Not so with a computer program.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:20pm

Quote:
The problem with driverless cars is, sooner or later it is going to have to make an ethical decision.

So? People respond based on instinct in these situations. They don't have time for ethics. A computer might, which probably makes it better than a person.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print