Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Australian machine gun (Read 3077 times)
Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Australian machine gun
Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:58pm

Evelyn Owen made this machine gun, it took less than 1 day to machine it up in a workshop.

A very reliable machine gun used by Aussies, Kiwis and the USA in WW2

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Australian machine gun
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:03pm

Even used until 1960s in Vietnam

IBI

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:07pm

More correctly.....

Australian sub-machine gun

Never seen one 'in the flesh'.

But by reputation, one of the best small arms every built.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:18pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:03pm:
Even used until 1960s in Vietnam

Criminals are making them, a very simple design easy to make.

Quote:
Submachine-guns found in weapons factory

The discovery of an underground weapons factory in Melbourne producing submachine-guns fitted with silencers is a dangerous development in the context of the city's gangland war, federal Justice Minister Chris Ellison warned yesterday.

He revealed that three Owen submachine-guns and parts to make another six had been seized from a building in Melbourne's south-east.
The Australian Crime Commission and the Victoria Police carried out the raid last month.

Senator Ellison said the weapons were being made on the property but he would not say exactly where it was.
"There is no doubt that if you manufacture an Owen submachine-gun with a 30 round clip to go with it that is a very serious weapon indeed," Senator Ellison told The Age.
"It's not designed for duck shooting. These are highly dangerous weapons.

"In view of the situation in Victoria, the seizure is of even more significance.
"These weapons could see an escalation of violence - there's no doubt about that.
"These are very powerful weapons, tailor-made for criminals and serious criminals."
Senator Ellison said investigators were still trying to ascertain the weapons' destination.

Senator Ellison said it was particularly worrying that the Owen guns were being made in Australia.

https://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/22/1090464799535.html

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:20pm

I've handled and fired an Owen Gun.  Very nice, albeit a little heavy weapon.  Interesting strip and assemble sequence.  It was the best SMG in WWII.   It could be immersed in mud, sand, burnt and it would still work.  It lead the way in post-war SMG design and many aspects of it's design were copied in the Patchet and Stirling SMGs.   Cool

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:25pm

It would be handy to have one if you faced a home invasion.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/woman-slapped-in-the-face-by-young-thugs-in-series-o...

"All of the offenders are described by the victims as African youth, so our investigation is focusing on that," Commander Barrett said.

A Melbourne woman was slapped across the face and forced to sit in her front room as a dozen "thugs" ransacked her house in a terrifying home invasion.

Police believe the same young men could be linked to two other street assaults on teenage boys and another home invasion in a violent crime spree in the city's west on Thursday night.

"This is incredibly concerning, the behaviours are abhorrent, it's just thuggish behaviour," Commander Russell Barrett told reporters on Friday.

The 59-year-old woman was struck across the face as the men, described as being of African appearance, smashed the glass door at her Hillside home at 11.30pm on Thursday.

She was forced to sit in her front room as about a dozen men went through her house, stealing electrical items and car keys before they left.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:25pm:

Nah.

I would much more, prefer a 12g pump for that scenario.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:56pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:25pm:

Nah.

I would much more, prefer a 12g pump for that scenario.

No one of these would be good too:

A home invasion defense weapon.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:29am

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Espousing violence you two?  Tsk, tsk.  There are so many assumptions in your posts that are false.   So, so, silly.   If you want to live in the USA, go for it.  However, Australia is a much more peaceful society, by and large, and householders don't need SMGs or shotguns - thankfully.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 5:37am

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 12:29am:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Espousing violence you two?  Tsk, tsk.  There are so many assumptions in your posts that are false.   So, so, silly.   If you want to live in the USA, go for it.  However, Australia is a much more peaceful society, by and large, and householders don't need SMGs or shotguns - thankfully.    Roll Eyes

How should people defend themselves against home invasions
by large gangs of criminals?

a dozen "thugs" ransacked her house in a terrifying home invasion.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 8:32am

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:20pm:
I've handled and fired an Owen Gun.  Very nice, albeit a little heavy weapon.  Interesting strip and assemble sequence.  It was the best SMG in WWII.   It could be immersed in mud, sand, burnt and it would still work.  It lead the way in post-war SMG design and many aspects of it's design were copied in the Patchet and Stirling SMGs.

assumptions in your posts that are false.   So, so, silly.   If you want to live in the USA, go for it.  However, Australia is a much more peaceful society, by and large, and householders don't need SMGs or shotguns - thankfully. 

Why are you such a contradictory fvvkwit bwwwwian?

It's okay for you to expound about your little foray into firing that weapon, and then whine about a 'more peaceful society' where guns have no place when somebody else posts on the subject.........you're an idiot!

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 8:34am

Incidentally, that gun is just a variation of the British Sten Gun......sometimes referred to as a Bren Gun..........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:22am

Fuzzball wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 8:34am:

Incidentally, that gun is just a variation of the British Sten Gun

No it isn't.

Don't embarrass yourself.

....that gun is just a variation of the British Sten Gun......sometimes referred to as a Bren Gun..........

No it isn't.

The Owen Gun is a sub-machine gun.

The Bren Gun is an entirely different weapon, the Bren Gun is a light machine gun [which fires a full power military cartridge].

Google;
Owen Gun

Google;
Bren Gun

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:25am

Incidentally, that gun is just a variation of the British Sten Gun......sometimes referred to as a Bren Gun..........

No its not.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:43am

Now you're 'embarrassing yourself' idiot. The Sten is a lightweight sub-machine gun......

Look it up you fvvkwit.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:58am

Fuzzball wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 9:43am:
Now you're 'embarrassing yourself' idiot. The Sten is a lightweight sub-machine gun......

Look it up you fvvkwit.

If you're talking to me I'm well aware of what the Sten gun is, and how its not the Bren gun.

The Sten as a sub machine gun where the magazine inserted on the left hand side of the barrel.

The Bren was a light machine gun derived from a Czech design where the magazine inserted on the top of the barrel. The Bren name is not a shortening of British Sten, but from Br for Brno and En for Enfield Arms.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 10:03am

I never said it was a shortening of the name idiot.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 10:05am

No this is incorrect.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 10:06am

Fuzzball wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 10:03am:
I never said it was a shortening of the name idiot.

Either way...wrong.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 2:33pm

Fuzzball wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 8:32am:
Brian Ross wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:20pm:
I've handled and fired an Owen Gun.  Very nice, albeit a little heavy weapon.  Interesting strip and assemble sequence.  It was the best SMG in WWII.   It could be immersed in mud, sand, burnt and it would still work.  It lead the way in post-war SMG design and many aspects of it's design were copied in the Patchet and Stirling SMGs.

assumptions in your posts that are false.   So, so, silly.   If you want to live in the USA, go for it.  However, Australia is a much more peaceful society, by and large, and householders don't need SMGs or shotguns - thankfully. 

Why are you such a contradictory fvvkwit bwwwwian?

It's okay for you to expound about your little foray into firing that weapon, and then whine about a 'more peaceful society' where guns have no place when somebody else posts on the subject.........you're an idiot!

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Resorting to ad hominem debate?   Tsk, tsk.  I offered my experience from when I served in the Australian Army.  The Owen was owned by a Range Control where I learnt to administer a Static Mechanical Range (SMR).   If you were liked, they would occasionally bring it and an Austen SMG out and allow you to fire them.   I was so lucky.   I have no worries with members of the military being allowed to fire fully automatic weapons.  However, for civilians, it is illegal (and for good reason, too).  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2018 at 2:59pm by Brian Ross »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.   You really are quite ignorant, aren't you?   The Sten or "Woolworth's Gun" as the British Army named it was far more primitive in it's construction and action than the Owen Gun was.   The  Owen Gun featured spiral cut outs in it's bolt, which allowed it to clear obstructions which would normally prevent a Sten Gun from from firing, such as sand or mud.   The Owen also featured a positive safety lock, which prevented the bolt from cycling if the weapon was dropped or jerked.   It was a much better manufactured weapon, overall, than the Sten Gun.

Oh, and the Bren Gun was a Light Machine Gun (LMG).  It fired a full sized rifle calibre round (.303in initially and later 7.62x51mm).  It's action was completely different, not being a "blowback" weapon but a gas operation (ie it tapped gas from near the muzzle to impart energy to a separate gas piston).   I have also fired the Bren Gun in both .303in and 7.62x51mm calibre.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 2:46pm

Poor old Fuzzball shown to be an idiot!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Brian despite his faults does know a bit about the military, guns etc.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print