Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Australians are the world's most efficient farmers (Read 1488 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Australians are the world's most efficient farmers
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:55pm

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:51pm:
This thread was started in response to a thread in another string where Aquascoot claimed Australian farmers were most efficient in the world.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1518378645/9#9

And your post does nothing to detract from the claim.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:15pm

lee wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:55pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:51pm:
This thread was started in response to a thread in another string where Aquascoot claimed Australian farmers were most efficient in the world.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1518378645/9#9

And your post does nothing to detract from the claim.

Denizen lee evidently has a comprehension problem.

Chart is available here: http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/Agriculture_productivity/

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:27pm

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:15pm:
Denizen lee evidently has a comprehension problem.

Nope.

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:15pm:
Chart is available here: http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/Agriculture_productivity/

Yes. It only looks at one metric. So they are comparing Australia's broadacre farming to greenhouse farming. How bizarre.

Have a look at Australia's broadacre zones -

https://www.oecd.org/tad/events/Mr.%20Merrilees_Agricultural%20productivity%20gr...

Page 7 or page 11 of your pdf viewer.

Your post is akin to comparing apples to horse manure. And you seem to know a lot about horse manure.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:37pm

Aquascoot said ....

australian farmers are the most efficient in the world because
they stand on their own 2 feet.
no government subsidies.

Freediver was right

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:49pm

lee wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:27pm:
It only looks at one metric. So they are comparing Australia's broadacre farming to greenhouse farming.

Its the only metric that counts. GDP per worker. Its a measure of productive efficiency.

Denizen lee evidently thinks the use of greenhouses by other countries is unfair competition to Australian farmers.

What about countries like Canada where the ground is covered in ice and snow for 50% of the year? Canada has a ~60% higher agricultural productivity than Australia.

There is nothing to stop Australian farmers using greenhouses if they so choose. Some already do.

However, adaption to new technology in Australian agriculture is slow because Australian farmers are being told by people like Aquascoot that they're the best in the world.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-07-13/farmers-turn-to-greenhouses-meet-gro...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:54pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:44pm:
I would wonder how those Slovenians and American farmers would go on Australian soils with a marginal percentage of fertility that makes it a miracle to ponder we can grow anything upon.

We are in the initial stages of making a reversal in failing soil fertility through some innovations. Salt tolerant plants and plants that desalinate the soils are being planted in areas that are suitable or have been suitable for farming. This could be a twenty-year process, as some farmers have undone years of damage through the planting of this vegetation.

If farmers can plant crops in Australia and get good yields, I am sure that Australian farmers could match and outdo farmers of other countries on an even playing field. Farmers who do the hard yard in Australia, leave me feeling proud of their achievements.

Quote:
..........We are in the initial stages of making a reversal in failing soil fertility through some innovations. Salt tolerant plants and plants that desalinate the soils are being planted in areas that are suitable or have been suitable for farming...........

yes, that'ld be great.
Farmers are the best business people I know.

I salute them.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:03am

Greenhouse technology is emerging in Australia by the import of equipment and technology from other countries like Canada.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-01-18/greenhouses-the-solution-for-vegetab...

Quote:
... A Western Australian company has planted its first horticultural crop using Canadian greenhouse technology in what is hoped to bring fresh vegetables to the wheatbelt's 20,000 residents.

Wide Open Agriculture is a new business based in Arthur River, 200 kilometres south-east of Perth, an area frequented by dry spells, extreme heat and frost.

At the moment, no one else in the region grows horticultural crops because of the conditions, but the business has brought in a greenhouse from Canada to help with that problem.

Managing director Ben Cole says there could soon be an extensive operation throughout the state.

Successful crop

"This is what we are calling our pilot plant, but it's very much a.. commercial pilot plant," he said.

"We want to replicate this across the wheatbelt."

Surrounded my kilometres of grain paddocks, the half-hectare-sized greenhouse is home to tomatoes, lettuce, capsicum, cucumber and herbs...

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:42am

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:03am:
Surrounded my kilometres of grain paddocks, the half-hectare-sized greenhouse is home to tomatoes, lettuce, capsicum, cucumber and herbs...

Half a hectare? Wow. Wink

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:00pm

They will be once the Chinese take over and organise the lazy bastards for real and imbue them with a work ethic worthy of the name...   Cool

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:10pm

I honestly think it would be incredibly difficult to judge farming efficiency.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #25 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:23pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:54pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:44pm:
I would wonder how those Slovenians and American farmers would go on Australian soils with a marginal percentage of fertility that makes it a miracle to ponder we can grow anything upon.

We are in the initial stages of making a reversal in failing soil fertility through some innovations. Salt tolerant plants and plants that desalinate the soils are being planted in areas that are suitable or have been suitable for farming. This could be a twenty-year process, as some farmers have undone years of damage through the planting of this vegetation.

If farmers can plant crops in Australia and get good yields, I am sure that Australian farmers could match and outdo farmers of other countries on an even playing field. Farmers who do the hard yard in Australia, leave me feeling proud of their achievements.

Quote:
..........We are in the initial stages of making a reversal in failing soil fertility through some innovations. Salt tolerant plants and plants that desalinate the soils are being planted in areas that are suitable or have been suitable for farming...........

yes, that'ld be great.
Farmers are the best business people I know.

I salute them.

I give up. Was that sarcasm?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:30pm

So basically Unforgiven started a new thread to explain that he disagreed with this statement, but is unable to explain why, other than that he found a website that does not explain it either.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:22pm

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:49pm:
lee wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:27pm:
It only looks at one metric. So they are comparing Australia's broadacre farming to greenhouse farming.

Its the only metric that counts. GDP per worker. Its a measure of productive efficiency.

Denizen lee evidently thinks the use of greenhouses by other countries is unfair competition to Australian farmers.

What about countries like Canada where the ground is covered in ice and snow for 50% of the year? Canada has a ~60% higher agricultural productivity than Australia.

There is nothing to stop Australian farmers using greenhouses if they so choose. Some already do.

However, adaption to new technology in Australian agriculture is slow because Australian farmers are being told by people like Aquascoot that they're the best in the world.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-07-13/farmers-turn-to-greenhouses-meet-gro...

Start again Unforgiven. The author of your linked article does not understand productivity and neither do you. Productivity is a measure of production per unit of labour and capital, not dollar value per unit of labour and capital.

If one unit of labour can improve production of one widget to two widgets then productivity doubles. The price of widgets between Australia and some other far off place is not relevant to productivity. Just because a widget in the Netherlands may be double the the price of a widget here  does not double productivity.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print