Send Topic Print
Cat vs Squirrel (Read 3032 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Cat vs Squirrel
Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:16pm

A rescued squirrel which was finally being released back into the wild had his freedom cut short after a house cat attacked and clawed at the animal before it had chance to escape.

IBI

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Cat vs Squirrel
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:19am

It's very sad, but it happens everywhere to native animals.

A few weeks ago - on a rare occasion when I had let the cat out in the early hours of the morning - I heard a lot of thumping outside. He had climbed a tree and grabbed a baby ringtail possum which was dangling from his mouth.

He wasn't close enough to grab - so I threw a plant pot at him hoping he'd get startled and drop the poor little thing. Of course he ran under the house with it still in his mouth.

If I had caught him at that moment - I would have strangled the life out of him. The ringtails don't come anymore and I'm seriously thinking of getting the cat put down. People frown on you when you put healthy animals down.

I found the sweet faced little head and half the body of this baby possum on my doorstep a few hours later.

The cat is not allowed out at night under any circumstances now regardless of his persistent whining. I have had so many cats foisted on me. I try to like them and look after them well because they're animals, but it's just too difficult. They have few redeeming features.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 5:38am

That is pretty sad Mantra and I love possums- but it is the stark reality of owning a cat- my Tom is supposed to come in every night but sometimes he just wont come- but kind of not too worried tbh- he would have to be the most hopeless hunter i have ever seen- it makes me laugh really- he just doesnt have the knack-- I keep him in for his own protection but of course if he were a procient hunter both purposes are served- hate to say it but after he caught the baby might have been for the best because if he dropped it you would have been left with an injured baby on your hands-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:04am

I had a family of possums banging away in the attic every night to the effect that it was an intrusive nuisance and an unwanted distraction until I let all three of my cats out at night.

It took months, but at last there are no more 'bumps' in the middle of the night from the other side of the ceilings. My hope is that the possums moved to a new address rather than that they met a sticky end.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:18am

mantra, Agnes,

What your cats do, to other creatures, is simply in 'the nature', of how a cat is, and what it does by instinct.

If you can recognise that innate character, in the DNA of the cat, perhaps you will learn to forgive your cats ?

The idea that nature is [and 'should' be] full of innocence and admirable things, is perhaps a little naive.

A close study of Mother Nature often shows that her ways can also be very brutal, as well as at times appearing astoundingly beautiful.

Its a jungle out there!

We all live in a flawed creation.

Quote:

from,

The Lucifer Principle - - by Howard BLOOM

MOTHER NATURE, THE BLOODY BI TCH

In 1580 Michel de Montaigne, inspired by the discovery of New World tribes untouched by Europe's latest complexities, initiated the idea of the "noble savage". Nearly two hundred years later, Jean-Jacques Rousseau popularised the concept when he published four works proclaiming that man is born an innocent wonder, filled with love and generosity, but that a Luciferian force ensnares him: modern civilisation. Rousseau claimed that without civilisation, humans would never Know hatred, prejudice, or cruelty.

Today, the Rousseauesque doctrine seems stronger than ever. Twentieth-century writers and scientists like Ashley Montagu, Claude Levi-Strauss (who hailed Rousseau as the "father of anthropology"), Erich Jantsch, David Barash, Richard Leakey, and Susan Sontag have reworked the notion to condemn current industrial civilisation. They have been joined by numerous feminist, environmentalist, and minority rights extremists. Even such August scientific bodies as the American Anthropological Association, the American Psychological Association, and the Peace and War Section of the American Sociological Association have joined the cause, absolving "natural man" of malevolence by endorsing "The Seville Statement," an international manifesto which declares that "violence is neither in our evolutionary legacy nor in our genes."

As a result, we are told almost daily that modern Western culture with its consumerism, its capitalism, its violent television shows, its blood-soaked films, and its nature-mangling technologies "programs" violence into the wide-eyed human mind. Our society is supposedly an incubator for everything that appals us. However, culture alone is not responsible for violence, cruelty, murder and war. Despite the Seville Statement's contentions, our biological legacy weaves evil into the substrate of even the most "unspoiled" society. What's more, organised battle is not restricted to humans. Ants make war and either massacre or enslave a rival swarm. Cichlid fish gang up and attack outsiders." Myxobacteria form "wolf packs" that corner and dismember prey. Groups of lizards pick on a formerly regal member of the clan who has become disfigured by the loss of his tail. Female bees chase an overage Queen through the corridors of the hive and lunge, biting over and over until she is dead. And even rival "super coalitions" of a half dozen male dolphins fight like street gangs, often inflicting serious injuries. Ants do not watch television. Fish seldom go to the movies. Myxobacteria, lizards, dolphins, and bees have not been "programmed" by Western culture.

.....By the early seventies, Jane Goodall had lived fourteen years among the wild chimpanzees of Tanzania's Gombe Reserve. She loved the chimps for their gentle ways, so different from the violence back home among humans. Yes, there were simian muggings, beatings, and rage, but the ultimate horror war was absent. Goodall published a landmark book on chimpanzee behaviour "In the Shadow of Man" a work that to some proved unequivocally that war was a human creation. After all, the creatures shown by genetic and immunological research to be our nearest cousins in the animal kingdom knew nothing of organised, wholesale violence.

Then, three years after Goodall's book was printed, a series of incidents occurred that horrified her. The tribe of chimps Goodall had been watching became quite large. Food was harder to find. Quarrels broke out. To relieve the pressure, the unit finally split into two separate tribes. One band stayed in the old home territory. The other left to carve out a new life in the forest to the south.

At first, the two groups lived in relative peace. Then the males from the larger band began to make trips south to the patch of land occupied by the splinter unit. The marauders' purpose was simple: to harass and ultimately kill the separatists. They beat their former friends mercilessly, breaking bones, opening massive wounds, and leaving the resultant cripples to die a slow and lingering death. When the raids were over, five males and one elderly female had been murdered. The separatist group had been destroyed; and its sexually active females and part of its territory had been annexed by the males of the band from the home turf. Goodall had discovered war among the chimpanzees, a discovery she had hoped she would never make.

p.s. i did not watch the YT in the OP.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:58pm

I know Yadda they are hunters by nature and a part of their character that I love - I accept that about them and keep them in as much as possible and well fed-  I accept all things about my cats- whatever it may be- and I love them to death- I don't place any life over the life of my cat/s- all animals are born equal but I do love a possum-

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:48pm

Agnes wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:58pm:
I know Yadda they are hunters by nature and a part of their character that I love - I accept that about them and keep them in as much as possible and well fed-  I accept all things about my cats- whatever it may be- and I love them to death- I don't place any life over the life of my cat/s- all animals are born equal but I do love a possum-

I accepted my cat for what she was.

She was loved and well fed,      and she was also a ruthless hunter at times.

She occasionally brought in small birds ['Naughty pussycat!!!'], and many rabbits, esp the young ones, mice, rats, even a small brown snake into the lounge room one day, while i was watching TV.

No possums.

My cat, is now an ex-cat [died of old age].

Missed her dearly, the first year or two after she passed.

You do get used to their close company.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:21pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:18am:
mantra, Agnes,

What your cats do, to other creatures, is simply in 'the nature', of how a cat is, and what it does by instinct.

If you can recognise that innate character, in the DNA of the cat, perhaps you will learn to forgive your cats ?

It's not a matter of forgiving a cat for its instinct to hunt Yadda - it's whether you like benign animals more. I love our native animals and many pass through my garden which isn't always safe while a cat lingers there. I could get rid of the cat, but he would be replaced by neighbouring strays day and night. This cat keeps them out. If I didn't have the cat - I would probably have a docile dog which had no desire to attack and kill small birds and native animals. That would be nice, but I'd have to get the cat put down first which is something I hate having to do.

It comes down to your personal preferences.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:36pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:04am:
I had a family of possums banging away in the attic every night to the effect that it was an intrusive nuisance and an unwanted distraction until I let all three of my cats out at night.

It took months, but at last there are no more 'bumps' in the middle of the night from the other side of the ceilings. My hope is that the possums moved to a new address rather than that they met a sticky end.

It would depend on whether they were big or small possums Herbert and also how agile your cats are. Cats can kill large possums, but it would have to be brave to tackle a brush tail.

I hope they found a friendlier home too.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:19am

mantra wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:36pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:04am:

It would depend on whether they were big or small possums Herbert and also how agile your cats are. Cats can kill large possums, but it would have to be brave to tackle a brush tail.

I hope they found a friendlier home too.

The possums were up in the loft for over a year, and I'm sure the babies were all adults by the time they left. They were brush-tails, not ring-tails, and I'm sure none got killed because I would have been presented with a little corpse if that had been the case. There's also an aerial escape route from the roof to a large tree and then the telegraph wires.

The bumping and noises at night of them squabbling and mating simply became too much.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:56am

Cats are killers Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:58am

Gordon wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:56am:
Cats are killers Smiley

Indeed they are.

They help to control mice and rat plagues all over rural Australia.  Smiley

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:21pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:58am:
Gordon wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 7:56am:
Cats are killers Smiley

Indeed they are.

They help to control mice and rat plagues all over rural Australia.  Smiley

Which keep them out of cities- great answer LH  Smiley

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Stupid idiots - why weren't they watching for that cat?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:43pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 15th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
Stupid idiots - why weren't they watching for that cat?

i just watched that Bobby- so unexpected- poor little squirrel-  Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print