Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Elderly Cat Won't Eat (Read 3889 times)
AiA
Gold Member

Elderly Cat Won't Eat
Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:36am

My elderly cat won't eat more than a bite yet I can see she is interested in food. Any ideas to get her to eat?

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Elderly Cat Won't Eat
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:18pm

Take her to the vet.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:49pm

My cat in its last days would lick a bit of vegemite and a drink.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:14pm

AiA wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:36am:
My elderly cat won't eat more than a bite yet I can see she is interested in food. Any ideas to get her to eat?

take her to the vet- any elderly animal that wont eat is in real trouble-  mine had cancer

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:17pm

Mine is not elderly but she is not eating much at all. It's the heat. Either that or she's getting her fill of baby rabbits.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:27pm

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
Mine is not elderly but she is not eating much at all. It's the heat. Either that or she's getting her fill of baby rabbits.

My  kittens ( 8 mos) eat very little when its hot- but the word elderly makes it different- she needs to be checked out

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm

Many years ago my family had a cat that was quite skinny and wouldn't eat much. During one of it's visits to the vet they decided that he needed some work on his teeth. Afterwards he packed on the kilos and became a very solid cat.

The cat obviously had teeth issues that was making it painful to eat.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:14pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm:
Many years ago my family had a cat that was quite skinny and wouldn't eat much. During one of it's visits to the vet they decided that he needed some work on his teeth. Afterwards he packed on the kilos and became a very solid cat.

The cat obviously had teeth issues that was making it painful to eat.

Interesting. I'll bear that in mind with my own three Rescue cats.

Dental work on cats is so astronomically expensive that I've only had it done once when I was bullied into having it done by a vet of Amazonian proportions who seemed to lean over me threateningly.

Just recently I asked a vet how long would the benefits last if I had my eldest cat dentally worked on to bring him up to scratch, and he said "two years" before the decay would return.

Vets advise a little Valium if your cat's lost it's appetite. In very small doses, of course.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:20pm

I dont want to sound cruel but ask the vet to put it down is my advice!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:38pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:20pm:
I dont want to sound cruel but ask the vet to put it down is my advice!

No seriously, we had a lovely old cat

that lived to about 15 years

but in the end lost control of her bowels throughout the house

had to be lifted onto our bed after tapping on the side in the middle of the night

couldnt walk up the back 5 steps

What else can one do?

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:40pm by Lord Herbert »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:51am

It sounds like dental problems or gum disease. It needs to go to the vet.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 11:10pm

Been so busy so haven't had a minute to think about this again - last night my wife discovered a small, deep wound on the cat's flank, as if it had been shot. Will be taking it to the vet as soon as they open ...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 4:32am

AiA wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 11:10pm:
Been so busy so haven't had a minute to think about this again - last night my wife discovered a small, deep wound on the cat's flank, as if it had been shot. Will be taking it to the vet as soon as they open ...

A week has passed so you can only hope that a serious infection hasn't set in.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:09pm

how did it go AiA ?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:51pm

Our old dog had 5 teeth taken out, still doesn't eat. Very fussy. She is skinny and doddery.  Chicken necks - can't have enough of them, Dog food?? nah.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:40am

Agnes wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
how did it go AiA ?

antibiotic fixed her right up. she was not up-to-date with the rabies vaccination and the doctor told me that late last year a cat came into his clinic that tested positive for rabies (they had to put it down to get a conclusive test). it was the first case he had ever seen in his clinic and two of his employees had to undergo preventive treatment for the disease. he said that there are lots of rabid raccoons in the area.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 5:40am

AiA wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:40am:
Agnes wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
how did it go AiA ?

antibiotic fixed her right up. she was not up-to-date with the rabies vaccination and the doctor told me that late last year a cat came into his clinic that tested positive for rabies (they had to put it down to get a conclusive test). it was the first case he had ever seen in his clinic and two of his employees had to undergo preventive treatment for the disease. he said that there are lots of rabid raccoons in the area.

Glad to hear she's getting better.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:22pm

Frank wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:51pm:
Our old dog had 5 teeth taken out, still doesn't eat. Very fussy. She is skinny and doddery.  Chicken necks - can't have enough of them, Dog food?? nah.

I say, dear boy, ever thought of flossing?

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2020 at 7:35am

Fast forward to 2020: this same cat began spraying in the house (unusal) so my wife made her stay outside for a couple of days. This morning she wanted in but I wouldn't let her and fed her outside instead. She ate very little then went down to the driveway and started walking in circles, something I had never seen any cat do before, so I picked her up and brought her back to her food bowl where she finished it up while I took a stroll around the garden. When I came back I could see she was still disoriented so I went to find my wife. When we both made it outside the cat was gone but reappeared suddenly and walked down the driveway with us as she always has done. She seemed fine and let us pet her. As we walked into the garden I saw her lose control of her body and go into a seizure. I picked her up and put her into her bed and placed both her and the bed into a cardboard box as the seizure had gripped her so that she couldn't stay in her bed. Her eyes bulged and breathing laboured and within minutes she was dead. My wife cried and I felt quite sad as we had bought the cat as an Xmas present for our daughter when we first moved to the USA. Possibly a stroke. RIP.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2020 at 8:03am

AiA wrote on May 24th, 2020 at 7:35am:
Fast forward to 2020: this same cat began spraying in the house (unusal) so my wife made her stay outside for a couple of days. This morning she wanted in but I wouldn't let her and fed her outside instead. She ate very little then went down to the driveway and started walking in circles, something I had never seen any cat do before, so I picked her up and brought her back to her food bowl where she finished it up while I took a stroll around the garden. When I came back I could see she was still disoriented so I went to find my wife. When we both made it outside the cat was gone but reappeared suddenly and walked down the driveway with us as she always has done. She seemed fine and let us pet her. As we walked into the garden I saw her lose control of her body and go into a seizure. I picked her up and put her into her bed and placed both her and the bed into a cardboard box as the seizure had gripped her so that she couldn't stay in her bed. Her eyes bulged and breathing laboured and within minutes she was dead. My wife cried and I felt quite sad as we had bought the cat as an Xmas present for our daughter when we first moved to the USA. Possibly a stroke. RIP.

could she have been bitten by something AiA...a snake maybe?.. thats sad to hear...the youngest of my two cats catches rats and mice and the odd bird..and she eats them  totally disgusting...but I often wonder what the hell she is ingesting from these animals she eats....ugh!

I am glad to say she hasnt brought anything home for a long while.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print