Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decision Review System D.R.S. (Read 373 times)
philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Decision Review System D.R.S.
Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:50pm

I think they should change the way they review LBW decisions with the DRS?

Quote:
The Umpire Decision Review System (abbreviated as UDRS or DRS) is a technology-based system used in the sport of cricket. The system was first introduced in Test cricket, for the sole purpose of reviewing controversial decisions made by the on-field umpires as to whether or not a batsman had been dismissed

We have this farcical situation were the third umpire reviews a decision that takes forever when the decision is obvious.

LBW - The umpire first determines if it is a no ball, then if the batsman has edged the ball onto his pad. This process can take several minutes in some cases which includes hot spot and snicko.

Then the umpire goes to ball tracking and the ball is clearly pitching well outside leg (Not out).
What if the umpire used ball tracking first to see if the ball did not pitch outside leg stump, hit the batsman in line with the stumps and would have hit the stumps or missed.

If all three line up then determine if there was an edge onto the pad.

This would save a lot of time and frustration from spectators who can clearly see what the decision is but the umpire takes eternity to signal the obvious.

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Decision Review System D.R.S.
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:02am

I agree the spirit of the LBW rule was to stop batsmen deliberately blocking the stumps with their pads, if I was an umpire it would have to be very plumb for me to give one and I doubt I would if the batsman was genuinely offering a shot. With the DRS system they are way over analysing and its against the original intention of the rule.

Sport does not need to be laser precise for most its just about having fun. I played A-Grade local tennis and the vast majority of players would accept calls by your opponent at the other end, you had the odd cheats but that was rare they respected the nature of the sport and often bad calls balanced out. I used to serve at well over 200 kph and to be honest I could judge the direction but the precise spot where the serve landed is hard to see from the servers end and often problematic for a receiver when a high speed ball comes through .... often whether a serve was an ace was guess work. As a receiver if the trajectory looked about right  I would concede an ace.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print