Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Police union- speed cameras are revenue raisers (Read 3322 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Police union- speed cameras are revenue raisers
Reply #75 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:02am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:09am:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:09am:
Speed cameras are just revenue raisers.
Even cops get caught by them.
It's impossible to regulate your driving to always be no more than 2km/hr over the speed limit.

The real problem is idiot drivers -
tailgating, changing lanes without indicating etc.

I have not been booked for over 10 years and I do about 20k-25k / year. I find it easy I speed all the time but I know where all the fixed cameras are on my regular routes and the spots where the mobile cameras usually sit.

The last time I got booked was by a mobile Hwy Patrol car doing 100 in a 90 zone. I was the only car on the road .... but I was speeding no complaints.

I do agree we need to lift the bar on driver testing and training ...... and yes the police should focus on other bad driver techniques. If anyone tail gates me I cut my speed in half ! The road I live on is a 50 zone but many like to do 70-80 ...... I often get to my house with 20 odd cars following me as I am doing 20-30 as I am getting tailgated.

But if you do that the tailgater could perform a reckless overtaking maneuver
that will take you out.
It's best to pull over and let them pass.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #76 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:19am

Going to work one morning, I was in the left lane a small runabout on my right started to drift to his right (the third lane), a semitrailer came along side the runabout in the third lane, the person in the runabout must have been looking at his phone or fell asleep.

The runabout got caught under the trailer about one or two metres behind the turntable for about 5 seconds the were locked together (doing at least 100km/h), the person in the runabout must have locked his steering to the left to break free lucky I slowed down cause when they came apart the runabout left the trailer on a tangent and headed straight for the concrete barrier on my left.

Must admits the guy in the runabout must have been a good driver because he just turned in time missing the concrete barrier by about one metre, if I had been beside him he would have smashed into me and I would’ve ended up in the concrete barrier.

No one got hurt.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #77 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:47am

Bobby. wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:02am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:09am:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:09am:
Speed cameras are just revenue raisers.
Even cops get caught by them.
It's impossible to regulate your driving to always be no more than 2km/hr over the speed limit.

The real problem is idiot drivers -
tailgating, changing lanes without indicating etc.

I have not been booked for over 10 years and I do about 20k-25k / year. I find it easy I speed all the time but I know where all the fixed cameras are on my regular routes and the spots where the mobile cameras usually sit.

The last time I got booked was by a mobile Hwy Patrol car doing 100 in a 90 zone. I was the only car on the road .... but I was speeding no complaints.

I do agree we need to lift the bar on driver testing and training ...... and yes the police should focus on other bad driver techniques. If anyone tail gates me I cut my speed in half ! The road I live on is a 50 zone but many like to do 70-80 ...... I often get to my house with 20 odd cars following me as I am doing 20-30 as I am getting tailgated.

But if you do that the tailgater could perform a reckless overtaking maneuver
that will take you out.
It's best to pull over and let them pass.

That is their decision they need to live by it, I live on a single lane double lined road no where to pass legally and the speed limit is 50. If they hit someone on the other side of the road its unlikely to impact me.

Why not just follow the speed limit its a residential area. I never speed in a 50 zone.
We have at least 1 accident per month mostly minor.
There was a big one where a speeding truck took out someones toy Nissan GTR.... moved it about 5 metres and made it about a metre smaller. Based on the damage this guy did to 3 vehicles he was doing well over 80 !

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #78 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:01pm

Gee  Unsubtle Rocky wish I knew that when I was in the N.S.W. Police for 18 years..your claim that the cops get 10% of fines in their wages

I spent about 8 years of my service in the Traffic Branch but I never did come across your chestnut

Now that is news to me and would have been for the other 15,000 Police I served with

Derrrr Cheesy

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #79 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:47am:
That is their decision they need to live by it, I live on a single lane double lined road no where to pass legally and the speed limit is 50. If they hit someone on the other side of the road its unlikely to impact me.

Why not just follow the speed limit its a residential area. I never speed in a 50 zone.
There was a big one where a speeding truck took out someones toy Nissan GTR.... moved it about 5 metres and made it about a metre smaller. Based on the damage this guy did to 3 vehicles he was doing well over 80 !

I'm talking about defensive driving -
that's the advice that I'm passing on.

Pull over and let the idiots pass.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #80 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:17pm

One of the cameras used to demonstrate the effectiveness of speed cameras and one which is rolled out every time is the Ourimbah $peed $camera.

They tout the stats that after installation, accidents dropped by several hundred percent, for one almost weekly to the rare one now experienced.

Now, let's look at the facts.
They very carefully state something along the lines of accidents within so many kilometers of said $camera.

Within this very carefully stated parameter, there was once a roundabout, those of us older generation will remember this roundabout with trepidation.
You would come off a 110 klm/ hr zone into a roundabout after a long downhil run.
Truck brakes faded, water pooled, slippery conditions all led to regular accidents, many fatal.

About the same time this greed $camera was fitted, they fixed this roundabout with an overpass, avoiding the horrendous danger spot.
And was it because they fixed the road that all these deaths and carnage stopped?
Of course not, it was the camera installed several Kilometers up the road.

Another was on the seriously dangerous road to Woy Woy,
This road had several hairpin bends, was slippery, heavily used, and often subjected to foggy conditions.
They fixed the road, straightening out the more serious bends and widening the road.
And they installed a greed $camera.
The toll reduced logrithmically, but was this reduction due to improved roadway?
Of course not, it was the $camera.

There is no, ZERO, actual proof of ANY effectiveness of ANY speed scammers anywhere in the world.

You can find graphs pointing out the road toll vs various in positions on drivers.
The most, single effective mechanism was RBT, one of the very few good ideas from this mob of imbeciles.
But there is little or no change, even an increase in the toll when speed detection methodologies are introduced.

A very intelligent man once said
"Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different result, is the definition of stupidity"
$speed $cameras don't work, if they did surely the number of people caught speeding would reduce in time, but it's actually increasing.
The grubberment actually budgets for an increase in fines every year.
They keep changing speed limits, putting new slower speed limits several times in a few klm,  simply to raise revenue.

In NSW, we now have more $speed $cameras  than at any time before.
Mobile, fixed and cops,
And last year the toll increased.
Does this not tell you something?

It's just another grubberment scam to suck the suckers dry.

Finally, in this rather long explanation.
NSW tried the "ok you think this is just revenue raising, we will increase the points to 3 Points for every speeding fine, even 2 klm over the limit.
Suddenly people were losing their licences HAND over fist.
With double demerits and the plethora of cameras, speed just twice by even a few klm and it was gone.
Then the grubberment noticed a disturbing trend.
Lost licence, can't get to work, get sacked.
But more concerning to the grubberment was that all of a sudden, an income stream from tax was drying up and the same people were claiming the dole.

Very quickly the grubberment made a decision.
The points were lowered to  1 point for the most profitable range 0 to 10 kilometers per hour over the limit.
And of course increase the fines.
Best of both worlds.

It simply proves that the grubberment is only after money, it cares nothing for our safety or lives, simply what it can get off us.

Greed $cameras are nothing but revenue raisers.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #81 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:22pm

Good write up Valk  what are your thoughts on cameras going up around black spots and the revenue raised goes directly to fix that section?

IBI

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #82 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm:

Advice ignored

I prefer not to enable bad driving techniques and rather enjoy there faces going bright red. I am more than happy for them to pull over and have a discussion about their moronic driving methods.

Even using you wimpy theory they will have to cross double lines being dangerous anyway. You seemed to have not read my post closely enough.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #83 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:22pm:
Good write up Valk  what are your thoughts on cameras going up around black spots and the revenue raised goes directly to fix that section?

There is the problem, its problematic to put a camera anywhere let alone a specific black spot.
I agree with the concept but funding for infrastructure should really come from everyone, if they know a spot is dangerous they should just fix it ! Not wait around until the camera raises enough money !

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #84 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:52pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 3:46pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm:

Advice ignored

I prefer not to enable bad driving techniques and rather enjoy there faces going bright red. I am more than happy for them to pull over and have a discussion about their moronic driving methods.

Even using you wimpy theory they will have to cross double lines being dangerous anyway. You seemed to have not read my post closely enough.

On the Pac Hwy up towards Maclean where the road is mostly one lane as it runs along the river, some shtbag in a late 80s piece of crap Landcruiser was following about 2meters behind me.

Now I'm in my 2016 car which could probably pull up from 100ks in a quarter of the distance to his piece of crap junker. If I needed to hit the brakes he would have hit me, and a hit from the rear at that speed can easily induce a roll over. 

Eventually he passed, but I swear if I saw him pulled over in a servo I felt like punching his lights out.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:33pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:17pm:
One of the cameras used to demonstrate the effectiveness of speed cameras and one which is rolled out every time is the Ourimbah $peed $camera.

They tout the stats that after installation, accidents dropped by several hundred percent, for one almost weekly to the rare one now experienced.

Now, let's look at the facts.
They very carefully state something along the lines of accidents within so many kilometers of said $camera.

Within this very carefully stated parameter, there was once a roundabout, those of us older generation will remember this roundabout with trepidation.
You would come off a 110 klm/ hr zone into a roundabout after a long downhil run.
Truck brakes faded, water pooled, slippery conditions all led to regular accidents, many fatal.

About the same time this greed $camera was fitted, they fixed this roundabout with an overpass, avoiding the horrendous danger spot.
And was it because they fixed the road that all these deaths and carnage stopped?
Of course not, it was the camera installed several Kilometers up the road.

Another was on the seriously dangerous road to Woy Woy,
This road had several hairpin bends, was slippery, heavily used, and often subjected to foggy conditions.
They fixed the road, straightening out the more serious bends and widening the road.
And they installed a greed $camera.
The toll reduced logrithmically, but was this reduction due to improved roadway?
Of course not, it was the $camera.

There is no, ZERO, actual proof of ANY effectiveness of ANY speed scammers anywhere in the world.

You can find graphs pointing out the road toll vs various in positions on drivers.
The most, single effective mechanism was RBT, one of the very few good ideas from this mob of imbeciles.
But there is little or no change, even an increase in the toll when speed detection methodologies are introduced.

A very intelligent man once said
"Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different result, is the definition of stupidity"
$speed $cameras don't work, if they did surely the number of people caught speeding would reduce in time, but it's actually increasing.
The grubberment actually budgets for an increase in fines every year.
They keep changing speed limits, putting new slower speed limits several times in a few klm,  simply to raise revenue.

In NSW, we now have more $speed $cameras  than at any time before.
Mobile, fixed and cops,
And last year the toll increased.
Does this not tell you something?

It's just another grubberment scam to suck the suckers dry.

Finally, in this rather long explanation.
NSW tried the "ok you think this is just revenue raising, we will increase the points to 3 Points for every speeding fine, even 2 klm over the limit.
Suddenly people were losing their licences HAND over fist.
With double demerits and the plethora of cameras, speed just twice by even a few klm and it was gone.
Then the grubberment noticed a disturbing trend.
Lost licence, can't get to work, get sacked.
But more concerning to the grubberment was that all of a sudden, an income stream from tax was drying up and the same people were claiming the dole.

Very quickly the grubberment made a decision.
The points were lowered to  1 point for the most profitable range 0 to 10 kilometers per hour over the limit.
And of course increase the fines.
Best of both worlds.

It simply proves that the grubberment is only after money, it cares nothing for our safety or lives, simply what it can get off us.

Greed $cameras are nothing but revenue raisers.

Don't you want the government to have revenue?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #86 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:56pm

The problem with that LIE from the grubberment is exactly that.

Firstly, the $camera is not set up at the black spot.
As with the dreadful road near Coffs Harbour, where the accidents actually occur is nowhere near the speed camera.
It is set up in the only overtaking area where there are two lanes.

The whole thing is lies.

And once the road is fixed, why don't they remove these revenue tools?

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:58pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:56pm:

As with the dreadful road near Coffs Harbour, where the accidents actually occur is nowhere near the speed camera.

The whole thing is lies.

My little trick to get around speed cameras hasn't failed me yet.

I don't speed.

Yes, that's right: I obey the law.

Shhhh, don't let anyone else know my secret.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:03pm

'I speed coz the gubermint says they need the money.' (No, I am not saying anyone has said that Hortense)

A warped kind of thinking.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #89 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:20pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 5:58pm:
Valkie wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:56pm:

The whole thing is lies.

My little trick to get around speed cameras hasn't failed me yet.

I don't speed.

Yes, that's right: I obey the law.

Shhhh, don't let anyone else know my secret.

My GPS is set up with every camera

I approach them at 10 klm/ hr under the limit.

Also I have a phone app that reports every camera car.

I drive at the limit except where the cruse  control speeds up before I catch it.

They won't get me.

But have you noticed the police statements when pulled over.
I have been in the car of a friend when he was done for 10k over the limit.
It went
Why were you speeding driver ( his recording device records the response, he is looking for an excuse)
I said, we were not speeding officer.

He then moved to his backup statement.
I recorded your speed at xxx why were you going so fast.
I responded
We were not speeding, your equipment may be faulty, uncalibrated or picked up another vehicle.
At this point he turned off his recording device, so I turned on my phone recording and told him so.
He directed me to exit the vehicle so he could speak to the driver without interruption.

I got out, not wishing to be accused of not following a police directive.
But not before stating that it was obviously a miscarriage of justice.

I left the phone on the seat.
The mate caved, the wuss.

The cop smiled at me, and I wished him happy revenue raising.
As he walked away I said  soon you will be replaced with cameras and robots.

He spun and went to say something, but I pointed at the phone and said
It's being recorded to cloud.

He stomped off.

Fool

Ps
We were on a three lane highway, no other vehicles, on a downhill run just coming out of a 40 k faster speed zone.
You have to hit the anchors to slow down at this little trap.
That's why they sit there.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print