Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Police union- speed cameras are revenue raisers (Read 3358 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Police union- speed cameras are revenue raisers
Reply #150 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:53am

Valkie wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:49am:
Here is something to contemplate.
We have the technology to restrict the speed of any vehicle.
A simple modification to most of today's computer controlled vehicles for a few hundred dollars could easily be fitted.
For a few dollars at every speed change, a simple transponder could be buried in the road, these transponders are slightly bigger than a pen, are static and are only active when the receive a signal from a transmitter, the one fitted to the vehicle.
That means there is zero maintenance required, but and forget.

Every time a vehicle goes over a transponder, it is limited to the speed for which that transponder is coded.
Easy? And far more effective than cameras and police.

There are two reasons this will never be done.
1) they know speed is not the primary cause of accidents and that accidents will continue or even increase as the drivers will pay even less attention than they do now.
2) the second reason is far more compelling to govco,
$400,000,000.00 A year and rising.

It's all about revenue
Only revenue

I doubt it would ever be fool proof, there are a big collection of devices you can pick up on ebay to override the factory settings on your engine management systems.
Most cars are tuned down for warranty reasons a simple chip can increase the power by a fair bit .... whatever technology they would impose can be easily undone. Also a few hundred dollars for the many millions of cars out there would be a big pointless exercise.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:41am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:53am:
A simple modification to most of today's computer controlled vehicles for a few hundred dollars could easily be fitted.
For a few dollars at every speed change, a simple transponder could be buried in the road, these transponders are slightly bigger than a pen, are static and are only active when the receive a signal from a transmitter, the one fitted to the vehicle.

Every time a vehicle goes over a transponder, it is limited to the speed for which that transponder is coded.

1) they know speed is not the primary cause of accidents and that accidents will continue or even increase as the drivers will pay even less attention than they do now.

It's all about revenue
Only revenue

I doubt it would ever be fool proof, there are a big collection of devices you can pick up on ebay to override the factory settings on your engine management systems.
Most cars are tuned down for warranty reasons a simple chip can increase the power by a fair bit .... whatever technology they would impose can be easily undone. Also a few hundred dollars for the many millions of cars out there would be a big pointless exercise.

If you tamper with a trucks governor and are found to have done so then you can face a serious fine and perhaps in sime cases a jail term. Same can happen with cars.
Also I have no problem with vehicle confiscations if they are found to be tampered with.
Confiscate the vehicle and crush it in front of the owner. Let them cry poor and hard done by.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #152 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:14am

Captain Caveman wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:41am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:53am:

It's all about revenue
Only revenue

If you tamper with a trucks governor and are found to have done so then you can face a serious fine and perhaps in sime cases a jail term. Same can happen with cars.
Also I have no problem with vehicle confiscations if they are found to be tampered with.
Confiscate the vehicle and crush it in front of the owner. Let them cry poor and hard done by.

No on cars as long as its not dicking around with emmisions control its all legal, I think your point is more relevant to diesels. What I do agree to you would need to check it out on a case by case basis. For sure your warranty would no longer apply.

Just about every 4wd owner I know does it.
Personally I find modern petrol cars are powerful enough.

A very popular one is chipping XR6 Turbo's. apparently you can push them to over 400KW.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #153 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:13pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:47am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:48pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:19am:
No your just being paranoid.
If a meth head wants to get out his car I am an ex rugby forward I would probably enjoy the workout if they want to get out and discuss such issues Smiley
So which meth infested area do you live in ?

You're an *ex* rugby forward who talks tough about going head to head with a meth head. It all depends on the person, but rugby players a few years out of the game are not known to be anywhere as tough as they were during the rugby playing days. Depending on whether you are heavily into the weights training. And meth heads are not the type of "put up your dukes" fair play fighters.

I recall when I was 90kg and able to bench 80% of my body weight, some smart arse prick who outweighed me by 20kg managed to be knocked off his feet by a well-placed uppercut. All the talk about wanting to fight me and shaping to fight me went nowhere when he could not land a punch -- and it was all over for him in one hit.

I would suggest that you make sure you can live up to the reputation you give yourself before you take on some youngster high on drugs. Because they could have not only the element of surprise, dirty fighting, etc., but also back up to help them out if they are losing.

Very presumptuous of you, I suggest the next time you light yourself up with meth you don't bump into me Smiley

Big talk from a little man, BTW do you also live in a meth infested area ?

Not sure. It is more about heroin and minor stuff like marijuana.

And if I were on ice and I managed to meet you, it would probably be you needing the ambulance ride to hospital.

Sounds like your on Ice have you discussed this with your parole officer ? Come on little man own up to your addiction its the first step.

What I am trying to get you to understand is that a *former* rugby front row player can still get an arse kicking from a meth addict in an ambush of a fight. I have fought a meth addict. Under sober circumstances, I would have mopped the floor with him, being that he did not have a great deal of muscle definition. But under the circumstances of him being drugged up, he started and put up a fight with me with some heavy hits against me. We both walked away from the fight, with myself probably faring worse than he. I would probably call it a loss for myself -- seeing as I gained nothing from the experience, other than renewed hindsight. He would have woken up the next day not knowing that he was in a fight, the way he walked off jabbering some nonsensical rambling and being still agitated.

And I am about as sober as I can get in terms of alcohol use. Drugs have not been a part of my life since 2006. I can't understand why you would be so casual about the dangers of fighting people, even in self defence. I wish my boxing training from 2004 is all I need to have experienced to be able to win fights TODAY. But it does not. I would have to be constantly training and keep fit to be able to win most fights I could come up against. Being a *former* front row rugby player, you would still need to go on jogs and weight training to be any threat to an opponent. Don't big note yourself.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #154 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:20pm

I have a speed limiter on my car. It does not limit my speed, but how fast I accelerate -- obviously. A few weeks ago, I planted my foot on my way to overtaking someone on the Yeppoon Road. The acceleration was slow, and the revving was high, and the vexation of overtaking was extreme.

Personally, I think the idea of using them to be more of a contributor to road rage than not having the function applied. And the idea of having a car is to transport people quicker than walking or riding. Having a lower highest speed is a problem if you do have an issue with an emergency.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #155 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:10pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:13pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:47am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:48pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:19am:
No your just being paranoid.
If a meth head wants to get out his car I am an ex rugby forward I would probably enjoy the workout if they want to get out and discuss such issues Smiley
So which meth infested area do you live in ?

You're an *ex* rugby forward who talks tough about going head to head with a meth head. It all depends on the person, but rugby players a few years out of the game are not known to be anywhere as tough as they were during the rugby playing days. Depending on whether you are heavily into the weights training. And meth heads are not the type of "put up your dukes" fair play fighters.

I recall when I was 90kg and able to bench 80% of my body weight, some smart arse prick who outweighed me by 20kg managed to be knocked off his feet by a well-placed uppercut. All the talk about wanting to fight me and shaping to fight me went nowhere when he could not land a punch -- and it was all over for him in one hit.

I would suggest that you make sure you can live up to the reputation you give yourself before you take on some youngster high on drugs. Because they could have not only the element of surprise, dirty fighting, etc., but also back up to help them out if they are losing.

Very presumptuous of you, I suggest the next time you light yourself up with meth you don't bump into me Smiley

Big talk from a little man, BTW do you also live in a meth infested area ?

Not sure. It is more about heroin and minor stuff like marijuana.

And if I were on ice and I managed to meet you, it would probably be you needing the ambulance ride to hospital.

Sounds like your on Ice have you discussed this with your parole officer ? Come on little man own up to your addiction its the first step.

What I am trying to get you to understand is that a *former* rugby front row player can still get an arse kicking from a meth addict in an ambush of a fight. I have fought a meth addict. Under sober circumstances, I would have mopped the floor with him, being that he did not have a great deal of muscle definition. But under the circumstances of him being drugged up, he started and put up a fight with me with some heavy hits against me. We both walked away from the fight, with myself probably faring worse than he. I would probably call it a loss for myself -- seeing as I gained nothing from the experience, other than renewed hindsight. He would have woken up the next day not knowing that he was in a fight, the way he walked off jabbering some nonsensical rambling and being still agitated.

And I am about as sober as I can get in terms of alcohol use. Drugs have not been a part of my life since 2006. I can't understand why you would be so casual about the dangers of fighting people, even in self defence. I wish my boxing training from 2004 is all I need to have experienced to be able to win fights TODAY. But it does not. I would have to be constantly training and keep fit to be able to win most fights I could come up against. Being a *former* front row rugby player, you would still need to go on jogs and weight training to be any threat to an opponent. Don't big note yourself.

Sure maybe a bigger meth head might put up a challenge but I don't live in the meth infested land you seem to.
Again your just sprouting presumptuous BS, if you want to live your life like a quivering coward by all means do so !

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #156 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:14pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:20pm:
I have a speed limiter on my car. It does not limit my speed, but how fast I accelerate -- obviously. A few weeks ago, I planted my foot on my way to overtaking someone on the Yeppoon Road. The acceleration was slow, and the revving was high, and the vexation of overtaking was extreme.

Personally, I think the idea of using them to be more of a contributor to road rage than not having the function applied. And the idea of having a car is to transport people quicker than walking or riding. Having a lower highest speed is a problem if you do have an issue with an emergency.

So why not use you brain to limit speed ?
One on my cars is a serious performance machine but most of the time I just cruise around in it. Obviously you seem to have self control issues on all sorts of areas.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #157 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:29pm

POLICE are revenue raisers...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #158 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:29pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:29pm:
POLICE are revenue raisers...

Is there anything about revenue that you don't like?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #159 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:32pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:14pm:

One on my cars is a serious performance machine but most of the time I just cruise around in it. Obviously you seem to have self control issues on all sorts of areas.

Exactly!

I don't understand these people who say it's too hard because there are too many different speed zones, and that they have to keep looking at their speedo.

That's what driving is all about - 100% concentration on the road.

If you can't do that, hand in your licence.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #160 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:50pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:10pm:
Sure maybe a bigger meth head might put up a challenge but I don't live in the meth infested land you seem to.
Again your just sprouting presumptuous BS, if you want to live your life like a quivering coward by all means do so !

You sound like a BS artist. Does not believe police have an incentive to book speeding motorists because it helps with their pay. Talks like some steroid user on a power trip. Thanks for the information, RSF. I will place your posts in the same context of an intellectualising junkie you seem to be.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #161 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:55pm

I usually drive at the speed limit. In my town, the police like to use speed cameras just about every day at various locations. I have had 2 genuine speeding fines (and a couple bogus ones) in the 21 years I have been driving. The problem is that people who put those devices on their cars are probably doing more problems than they are resolving. I can quite easily drive safely.

And you still seem obsessed with painting any person who challenges you as a drug user ("meth head") and have a severe desire to fight them.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #162 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:02pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:32pm:

Exactly!

I don't understand these people who say it's too hard because there are too many different speed zones, and that they have to keep looking at their speedo.

That's what driving is all about - 100% concentration on the road.

If you can't do that, hand in your licence.

I had a situation 6 years ago where a police officer booked me for doing 56km/h in a 60km/h zone. He claimed that it was a 40kmh school zone. I pointed this fact out to him, but he was too recalcitrant to be bothered. Obviously, he wanted to rack up his $20 of the $200 fine he gave me. If he was reasonable with this, he could have grasped at the few kilometres I was over if I back in the school zone, and not worried about the reading he took 100m passed the school zone.

The issue is that with constantly changing speed zones, the police can take advantage of technicalities, rather than zones that deserve policing.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #163 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm

I drive 10 klm to the freeway every day.
In that 10 klm the speed limit changes 12 times
50 up my street
then into the 40 k zone
out of that and back to 50
then onto a 70 zone, at the roundabout its 60
then back to 70 100 meters up the road
Then 80 klm for a short spurt until yet another school zone, 60 then 40
then back to 80 until just before the interchange
60 through the interchange and then onto the freeway.

That's 12 speed changes in 10 klm some only meters apart.

And yes the speed camera car haunts this area, as do cops on a regular basis.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would break the whole thing up into perhaps 3 zones and do away with most of the changes.

But the real trap is up near Coolongalook heading north.
There is a long steep hill, followed by a long steep down hill.
Nice shiny new road, two lanes wide and an 80k speed limit.

One guess as to where the speed camera hides.
They have even trimmed the trees on the side of the road so they can hide.
and isn't it funny how ther warning signs all seem to get blown over, and they never notice.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #164 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:53pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
I drive 10 klm to the freeway every day.
In that 10 klm the speed limit changes 12 times
50 up my street
then into the 40 k zone
out of that and back to 50
then onto a 70 zone, at the roundabout its 60
then back to 70 100 meters up the road
Then 80 klm for a short spurt until yet another school zone, 60 then 40
then back to 80 until just before the interchange
60 through the interchange and then onto the freeway.

That's 12 speed changes in 10 klm some only meters apart.

And yes the speed camera car haunts this area, as do cops on a regular basis.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would break the whole thing up into perhaps 3 zones and do away with most of the changes.

But the real trap is up near Coolongalook heading north.
There is a long steep hill, followed by a long steep down hill.
Nice shiny new road, two lanes wide and an 80k speed limit.

One guess as to where the speed camera hides.
They have even trimmed the trees on the side of the road so they can hide.
and isn't it funny how ther warning signs all seem to get blown over, and they never notice.

There shouldn't be any warning signs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Send Topic Print