Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Police union- speed cameras are revenue raisers (Read 3324 times)
RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Police union- speed cameras are revenue raisers
Reply #105 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:45am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:35am:
There's more to driving skills than being able to go fast - you need to be in front of your vehicle at all times, be able to make timely decisions on any lane change etc, and drive to the conditions.  I have yet to encounter a road that is 'no good' (unless it's full of holes or washed away) - only a lot of drivers who are no good on it.  Lakes Way near here is a beauty - people run off it a lot since it is as windy as the old Pacific Highway out of Hornsby.  Why? there are plenty of signs that say 35 kph corner etc....

100% agree I think skid pan testing should be mandatory, on a slippery surface a car can spin out at low speeds especially a big 4wd with hard Tyres.
They should also test emergency breaking.

Both me and the wife have done advance driver training where all sorts of driver challenges were thrown at us. We also learnt how to control a high speed parallel slide. I also have done a rally drivers course, when we did parallel slides the instructor said to me "You have done this before".

Besides the fun of pushing our toys to their limit these courses also teach you not to panic if something goes wrong.

Cars do slide even at low speeds and every so often you will need to execute emergency breaking .... its a crime drivers are not tested for these.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #106 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:45am

Everglade wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:36am:
Everglade wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:00am:
Gordon wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:01pm:
People like me with mad driving skills and a safe modern car should be allowed to drive faster than a gook who's just received their license and grips the wheel like death and aren't even relaxed enough to do a simple head check before changing lanes.

Is this typical of the kind of comment found on this site? I've been watching for a few weeks and i see comments like this go unchallenged.

I don;t understand, Do you all think this is OK?

Is no-one prepared to say? Even when it's highlighted for you, it means nothing?

White Men Can't Jump - Yellow Men Can't Drive - Black Men Can't Handle Law And Have Big Dicks (lmao) ...... did I miss any...... oh - Red Men Can't Stay Sober ......... Online Puritans Can't Take A Joke Or Reality.....

Gooks can't drive... simple really.... Indians aren't much better, especially the women.....  Cool... Mussos are either totally incompetent on the road or drive like they are flying a jet while on crystal meth (probably are), and hit things regularly...... European back-packers use the right lane as the slow one, since that's the way things are in Chermany etc... must be the case since everyone goes past them in the left lane...... cursing and spitting chips.... sooo uncultured.....

Joys of multi-culturalism and a thriving tourist industry, innit?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Everglade

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:47am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:45am:
People like me with mad driving skills and a safe modern car should be allowed to drive faster than a gook who's just received their license and grips the wheel like death and aren't even relaxed enough to do a simple head check before changing lanes.

Is this typical of the kind of comment found on this site? I've been watching for a few weeks and i see comments like this go unchallenged.

Is no-one prepared to say? Even when it's highlighted for you, it means nothing?

White Men Can't Jump - Yellow Men Can't Drive - Black Men Can't Handle Law And Have Big Dicks (lmao) ...... did I miss any...... oh - Red Men Can't Stay Sober ......... Online Puritans Can't Take A Joke Or Reality.....

Gooks can't drive... simple really.... Indians aren't much better, especially the women.....  Cool

You're nearly dead, yes?

New makes way for the old. Goodbye.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #108 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:52am

Stig wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:23am:
Valkie wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 7:45pm:
I drive an average of 60000 k plus a year in several states of Australia.
I have also driven in Germany, France, England and Sweden.

Three things become obvious when ever I drive in Australia.
1) you tend to spend more time checking the Speedo because the speed limit changes so often.
2) Australia has more speed detection and more focus on speed than any other country I have visited.
3) Australia has some of the worst and most poorly maintained roads IN THE WORLD.

Fix these pathetic goat tracks.
Get people's concentration on the road and not the Speedo.
Train drivers to drive properly

But what do they do?
Their new great plan?
More speed detection and revenue.

They don't care about us
They only care about revenue

Spend much time driving overseas and you can only come to the conclusion that Australia is a paranoid nanny-state when it comes to roads and driving, all of which goes to reinforce some of the worst driving habits in the world.

As for road conditions, it's obvious that the government would rather blather on about "speed kills" than actually save lives. How many years is it since the Grafton Bus Crash - and yet the Pacific Highway is still a goat track in places.

What like Italy Smiley

I do agree in France and Germany they are better skilled drivers but in many countries like India complete insanity prevails ..... Italy is not far behind !

Many drivers in Australia seem to think driving slowly is safe. Drive on the freeway up to Gosford you see these idiots driving at 80 in the right hand lane.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:52am

Everglade wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:47am:

Gooks can't drive... simple really.... Indians aren't much better, especially the women.....  Cool

You're nearly dead, yes?

Loser.. learn to drive.... gooks can't.....

HERE!  I modified it for you, slow synapses.... you're almost brain dead - move over for the real people....

Gooks can't drive... simple really.... Indians aren't much better, especially the women.....  Cool... Mussos are either totally incompetent on the road or drive like they are flying a jet while on crystal meth (probably are), and hit things regularly...... European back-packers use the right lane as the slow one, since that's the way things are in Chermany etc... must be the case since everyone goes past them in the left lane...... cursing and spitting chips.... sooo uncultured.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #110 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:53am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:35am:
Ah, yes - the old invulnerable armour plated 4WD driver dickhead ..... with a trailer, boat or caravan good for at least ten over the limit.... until something happens and then it's someone else's fault...   Grin

Indeed.

Anyone who believes that the government cares about safety rather than revenue should remember that until a few years ago it was illegal for a P-plater to drive a turbocharged car - any turbocharged car including a Smart Car or a base model Volvo - but completely legal for them to get in several tonnes of 4WD with a bullbar.

In some cases cops who pulled over P-platers had to consult the owners manual because they didn't know whether the car was a turbo or not.

The turbo bans showed the government didn't care the slightest about driver safety at all, as long as they could keep sucking down revenue from idiotic laws and people going 3km/h over an arbitrary limit.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:55am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:52am:

1) you tend to spend more time checking the Speedo because the speed limit changes so often.
2) Australia has more speed detection and more focus on speed than any other country I have visited.
3) Australia has some of the worst and most poorly maintained roads IN THE WORLD.

But what do they do?
Their new great plan?

They don't care about us

Spend much time driving overseas and you can only come to the conclusion that Australia is a paranoid nanny-state when it comes to roads and driving, all of which goes to reinforce some of the worst driving habits in the world.

As for road conditions, it's obvious that the government would rather blather on about "speed kills" than actually save lives. How many years is it since the Grafton Bus Crash - and yet the Pacific Highway is still a goat track in places.

What like Italy Smiley

I do agree in France and Germany they are better skilled drivers but in many countries like India complete insanity prevails ..... Italy is not far behind !

Many drivers in Australia seem to think driving slowly is safe. Drive on the freeway up to Gosford you see these idiots driving at 80 in the right hand lane.

You see someone on a freeway doing 80 you KNOW they can't drive.... same with anyone who never looks at their mirrors .... driver training and licencing is a farce, easier to pick the pockets of the public than spend money on genuine training and accident prevention.

I always know what's around me, especially behind and in the other lane, in case I have to move suddenly.

― John Adams

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #112 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:56am

I was at Bankstown once when I got back to my car there  was this Chinese lady driving a big Merc 450 with he lack of height she looked like she was looking through the steering wheel. She was trying to park the big barge next to my car. After about 4 attempts I said to her "For $100 bucks I will park it for you !".
She drove off looking for another spot after that.
They are bad drivers and they seem to like big Mercs !

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #113 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:04am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:55am:

But what do they do?
Their new great plan?

They don't care about us

What like Italy Smiley

You see someone on a freeway doing 80 you KNOW they can't drive.... same with anyone who never looks at their mirrors .... driver training and licencing is a farce, easier to pick the pockets of the public than spend money on genuine training and accident prevention.

I always know what's around me, especially behind and in the other lane, in case I have to move suddenly.

You left out checking the blind spots.
I also have an issue with drivers that need glasses, I need them for reading but what I notice when I wear them is your peripheral vision is compromised. At the RTA (or services NSW as they are called now) they only test vision directly in front of you. Peripheral vision has saved me from accidents a few times !

Another bad behaviour I see is motor cycle riders often sit in blind spots behind vehicles.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:07am

I used to ride motor bikes all the time - I check all around me... you are right - I have reading glasses and when even walking around the house I sometimes run into a door jamb or something when carrying something in my arms ..... they wreck your peripheral vision... don't go stepping down off a ladder with them on - you let go two steps up instead of one.....

Don't need them for driving though, but you are right - test is only straight ahead.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Everglade

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:09am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:52am:
Everglade wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:47am:

You're nearly dead, yes?

Loser.. learn to drive.... gooks can't.....

HERE!  I modified it for you, slow synapses.... you're almost brain dead - move over for the real people....

Yes. You're clearly on the way out. I'm sad for you that the transition wasn't easier.

Next incarnation maybe?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #116 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:41am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:55am:

But what do they do?
Their new great plan?

They don't care about us

What like Italy Smiley

Just the other day I was traveling south towards the Harbour Tunnel and noticed a car in the right lane which ends and has to merge left.

I always let people merge and never do the speed up and let you merge behind me thing. The road was quiet with no other cars close by, so I hung back a respectful distance to allow it to merge. It didn't, and just as kept going and slowed down to about 40. I hoped an extra lane across because I didn't want to be anywhere near it.

The driver was a bespecticled asian woman, holding the wheel like grim death with her face nearly pressed against the windscreen. In my mirror I could see she eventually came to a full stop. So bloody dangerous. She didn't even have the road skills to do a merge in light traffic...on a full license.

I see stuff like this all the time.

IBI

IP Logged

Everglade

Australian Politics

Reply #117 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:50am

I don't understand why everyone is brushing over the overt racism in this thread.

Is no-one else alarmed by it?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #118 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:58am

Everglade wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:50am:
I don't understand why everyone is brushing over the overt racism in this thread.

I'm alarmed at how some Asians manage to get their license when they can't ever perform a simple lane merge.

IBI

IP Logged

Everglade

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:09am

Gordon wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:58am:
Everglade wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:50am:

I'm alarmed at how some Asians manage to get their license when they can't ever perform a simple lane merge.

I'm more alarmed at how you've managed to turn your computer all the way on.

Bet you can't add a printer though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print