Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Public funding props up Hanson's One Nation party (Read 3411 times)
BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Re: Public funding props up Hanson's One Nation party
Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:47pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
"Democracy is about the ability, in our case, to choose the person who represents us in the House of Representatives in Canberra.   It is about the ability to vote." - Brian

I paid the $160 last night for not voting in a by-election I knew nothing about - keep my license, I live in the bush

Definition of democracy
plural democracies
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority
b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Our elections are not free though, are they Brian? are they meant to be free or coercive? in your opinion

"Free" in this case means, without any coercion by the Government or others.  We are not coerced in our voting choice.  Therefore, Australian elections are free and fair.

Compulsory attendance at the Polling Station does not, IMO, amount to coercion to vote.  You are not made to vote.   Roll Eyes

Other than the law stating that you do, of course.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #31 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:14pm

BigOl64 wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:02pm:
"Democracy is about the ability, in our case, to choose the person who represents us in the House of Representatives in Canberra.   It is about the ability to vote." - Brian

I paid the $160 last night for not voting in a by-election I knew nothing about - keep my license, I live in the bush

Definition of democracy
plural democracies
b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Our elections are not free though, are they Brian? are they meant to be free or coercive? in your opinion

"Free" in this case means, without any coercion by the Government or others.  We are not coerced in our voting choice.  Therefore, Australian elections are free and fair.

Compulsory attendance at the Polling Station does not, IMO, amount to coercion to vote.  You are not made to vote.   Roll Eyes

Until they have Government Goons standing beside you in the polling booth, making sure you mark your ballot paper, what the law states and what actually happens will remain two very separate and different things, BigOl64.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:14pm:
BigOl64 wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:02pm:

Definition of democracy
plural democracies

Until they have Government Goons standing beside you in the polling booth, making sure you mark your ballot paper, what the law states and what actually happens will remain two very separate and different things, BigOl64.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That's right Brian, Compulsory voting is not compulsory, you only need to turn up - that's the general perception isn't it?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print