Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Public funding props up Hanson's One Nation party (Read 3421 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Public funding props up Hanson's One Nation party
Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:34pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Public funding props up Hanson's One Nation party
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:39pm

Pauline should cosy up to some rich Chinese like the other parties do.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:54am

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:34pm:

So?

Who props up Labor and the Liberals?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 7:06am

All funding should be cut from all parties and independents. Nothing more than political grubs ripping off the taxpayer.

I do my bit to prevent this scam, what do you do>?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:27pm

BigOl64 wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 7:06am:

All funding should be cut from all parties and independents. Nothing more than political grubs ripping off the taxpayer.

And what do you do?   Not vote?  Tsk, tsk, so much for being a member of a democratic nation, hey?    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:27pm:

And what do you do?   Not vote?  Tsk, tsk, so much for being a member of a democratic nation, hey?    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yeah we are so democratic that we are the ONLY first world democracy that forces people to vote with the threat of criminal punishment.

We are so democratic that we are one of the very few first world democracies that deny our citizens codified human rights.

You are a fkken idiot if you think being forced to vote is a valid democratic process.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:28pm

BigOl64 wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:32pm:

Yeah we are so democratic that we are the ONLY first world democracy that forces people to vote with the threat of criminal punishment.

We are so democratic that we are one of the very few first world democracies that deny our citizens codified human rights.

You are a fkken idiot if you think being forced to vote is a valid democratic process.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Still resorting to childish ad hominem debate, BigOl64?  Tsk, tsk.   Democracy has nothing to do with being made to attend a polling booth on a given date (no one forces you to vote).   Democracy has nothing do with "codified human rights."   Democracy is about the ability, in our case, to choose the person who represents us in the House of Representatives in Canberra.   It is about the ability to vote.

Now, why don't you explain the answer to my question?  Or is that too hard for a man of your supposedly towering intellect?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:12pm

Well, include me in your denunciation, then, old bean.

It's called compulsory voting but it is only compulsory turning up.  I think it's a very, very good idea for the simple reason of legitimacy.

If you look at countries with voluntary voting, there is increasing discontent about legitimacy because the voter turnout is too low,  and diminishing every year, to truly say that the elected person is a real representative of the majority will in society.

The legitimacy of laws made in Australia are not disputed because Parliaments and their members are legitimate, having been elected by universal, compulsory suffrage. Constitutional amendments likewise.

Australian citizenship confers many rights and privileges. To have a few duties or obligation in exchange, like participating in the national decision making (and thereby taking at least some responsibility for the way things are) is a very small price.

Australian citizens have an obligation to:
• obey the law;
• defend Australia should the need arise; and
• vote in federal and state or territory elections, and in referenda
http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Citizenship/Documents/your-right-your-responsibili...

Notice the nexus between the first and third point.  But if it's too much, you can always renounce your citizenship.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:37pm

Political systems are imperfect, there will always be friction in the process and it's outcomes.

When it comes down to compulsory voting despite my usual preference for less compulsion from government I thnk it is a desirable thing.

This is because it is a small imposition and the more people who vote you get a more representative parliament.

When people are marginalised and think of themselves without power, they tend not to vote in voluntary voting.  What this means is that politicians don't need to cater for them or allocate funds, this results in more marginalisation and a diminishing influence and resources.

Also "rusted on" blocks of individuals or demographic groups tend to cancel each other out which leaves, hopefully, in an imperfect system the issues of influence at the margins.

So that small impost of time makes the system fairer, which you don't get when only motivated single issue groups get to influence the vote.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:47pm

Frank wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:12pm:

It's called compulsory voting but it is only compulsory turning up.  I think it's a very, very good idea for the simple reason of legitimacy.

If you look at countries with voluntary voting, there is increasing discontent about legitimacy because the voter turnout is too low,  and diminishing every year, to truly say that the elected person is a real representative of the majority will in society.

The legitimacy of laws made in Australia are not disputed because Parliaments and their members are legitimate, having been elected by universal, compulsory suffrage. Constitutional amendments likewise.

Australian citizenship confers many rights and privileges. To have a few duties or obligation in exchange, like participating in the national decision making (and thereby taking at least some responsibility for the way things are) is a very small price.

• obey the law;
http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Citizenship/Documents/your-right-your-responsibili...

Notice the nexus between the first and third point.  But if it's too much, you can always renounce your citizenship.

"Under the Electoral Act, the actual duty of the elector is to attend a polling place, have their name marked off the certified list, receive a ballot paper and take it to an individual voting booth, mark it, fold the ballot paper and place it in the ballot box.

"It is not the case, as some people have claimed, that it is only compulsory to attend the polling place and have your name marked off, and this has been upheld by a number of legal decisions:

"High Court 1926 – Judd v McKeon (1926) 38 CLR 380

"Supreme Court of Victoria 1970 – Lubcke v Little [1970] VR 807

"High Court 1971 – Faderson v Bridger (1971) 126 CLR 271

"Supreme Court of Queensland 1974 – Krosch v Springbell; ex parte

"Krosch [1974] QdR 107

"ACT Supreme Court 1981 – O'Brien v Warden (1981) 37 ACTR 13"

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:07pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:47pm:
Frank wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:12pm:

• obey the law;

"Under the Electoral Act,

Thank you, Turd:

Your link: http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/voting/index.htm

[ARCHIVED] Compulsory voting in Australia
This page has been archived as it relates to past electoral information and is no longer updated. The information may not be relevant to current electoral events.

An F orf for you is in order, Turd. Float on.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:07pm

Having been a Electoral official at what, four federal elections and half a dozen different state ones, I can tell you, you are not made to vote.  Indeed, the instructions to the polling staff are that you are required to mark the roll, next to the voter's name, make the ballot paper, before handing it to the voter.  If the voter refuses the ballot, you are then required to hand it to your superior.   Once the voter receives the ballot, they can go to the polling booth and mark it, however they wish, although there are instructions on the correct method to make it a valid vote.  They don't need to mark it if they don't desire, either. They are then required to insert it into the ballot box and leave the polling station.

At no point is an electoral official to stand over the elector and make them mark the ballot paper.   No one makes you vote.  All that is physically required of you is for you to have your name marked off the electoral roll.

The High Court may believe otherwise but there is a disconnect between what actually occurs and what they believe should occur.   Voting is, in Australia, actually voluntary, no matter what they and anybody else says until il Duce Dutton puts an electoral official in each polling booth and forces the voters to mark their ballot paper.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:09pm

No one can physically make you vote, but the law absolutely requires you to do so.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:11pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
No one can physically make you vote, but the law absolutely requires you to do so.

And no one checks that you have...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:12pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:11pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:09pm:

And no one checks that you have...   Roll Eyes

Correct.

It's still required by law, though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print