Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Gandalf, you must choose: either.... (Read 8042 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Gandalf, you must choose: either....
Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:11pm

Gandalf, you must choose, either:

1) you're a Quranist. You believe solely in the Quran, and reject the Hadith in its entirety; or,

2) you believe in both the Quran and the Hadith.

If you are a Quranist, then you cannot cite Hadith verses to support your claims, nor can you cite any other sources.

If you support the Quran and the Hadith, then you cannot subscribe to a peaceful interpretation of Islam, because of the Sunnah completely doesn't support that.

Anything in between 1) and 2) and then you are adopting a 'anything-goes' approach, which you chided me for, and would make you a hypocrite.
--------
But, because I'm fair, if you publicly choose 1) or 2), then other members must likewise be confined to similar arguments. For example, if you choose 1) then we cannot also cite sources outside of the Quran to refute your claims. If you choose 2) then we can cite sources outside of the Quran to support our claims.

My suggestion is that you declare yourself a Quranist, which would then reduce the debate and argument to the Quran solely, which means that neither you nor Freediver can use external sources to support your claims.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Gandalf, you must choose: either....
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:24pm

Gandalf reject bits of both the Quran and Hadith. He does this by insisting they mean the opposite of what they say.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:26pm

freediver wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:24pm:
Gandalf reject bits of both the Quran and Hadith. He does this by insisting they mean the opposite of what they say.

Ok, but if Gandalf publicly claimed that he was a Quranist, would you be willing to argue with him on equal terms and not use external sources such as the Hadith and the histories to support your arguments???

You have to be fair.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:29pm

The discussion is now over. I have accused Gandalf of being a lying Muslim.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:30pm

freediver wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:29pm:

But, to be fair you do acknowledge that he is 'limited' in how much he can interpret the Quran?? After all, it is the literal Word of God, and one cannot dispute God, can they?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:38pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:11pm:

Who died and appointed you God ?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:02pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:38pm:
Auggie wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:11pm:

Who died and appointed you God ?

No one.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:30pm:

But, to be fair you do acknowledge that he is 'limited' in how much he can interpret the Quran?? After all, it is the literal Word of God, and one cannot dispute God, can they?

I don't see any limits. He has shown remarkable flexibility.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:03pm

There is one faith and all else is sin.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:36am

Not quite. I accept the Quran in its entirety in the way I choose to interpret it.

I will cherry pick ahadith, absolutely, and i make no apology for that. Those that concur with the Quranic message I accept, those that contradict it I reject. Simple. For the ahadith are nothing but unreliable chinese whispers that were not written down until 200+ years after the events they describe supposedly happened. Yet if they convey an uncontroversial peaceful and tolerant message that is in line with the Quran, then why not accept them?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:45am

No you didn't. You accused me of insisting something means the opposite of what you think it says. Thats called disagreeing with what you think, not lying.

If you are still confused about what lying is, I'll once again use the example from your wiki (which I assume is still there) - where you claim that "muslims" (plural) said a number of statements when you actually only know of one who said it. Thats what a lie is FD - deliberately changing one fact (you heard me, and only me, say something) into something completely different (claiming that multiple people said it).

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:16am

Bobby. wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:03pm:

There is one faith and all else is sin.

The arrogance of you people is as stunning as your ignorance.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:45am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:36am:

Not quite. I accept the Quran in its entirety in the way I choose to interpret it.

I will cherry pick ahadith, absolutely, and i make no apology for that. Those that concur with the Quranic message I accept, those that contradict it I reject. Simple. For the ahadith are nothing but unreliable chinese whispers that were not written down until 200+ years after the events they describe supposedly happened. Yet if they convey an uncontroversial peaceful and tolerant message that is in line with the Quran, then why not accept them?

So, you realise that the aha ditch are considered to be authoritative in the Sunni tradition. Therefore, you are picking and choosing verses in what is considered to be authoritative. You see the ‘anything goes’ approach here, don’t you?

That’s what I’ve argued in this thread: either you are a Quranist (sola quranica) or you accept the ahadith in its entirety. Anything in between is ‘anything goes’.

Second, how do you explain the glaring contradictions in the Quran, along with the change in style of speech? Surely, someone as omnipotent as God would be consistent in His speech???

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:48am

Also, can you explain to me if you find killing spiritual?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:11pm

You choose to interpret the opposite of what the Quran actually says. This nonsense about the whole of the Quran is just an excuse to tell a series of lies about what different parts of the Quran says.

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:45am:

No you didn't. You accused me of insisting something means the opposite of what you think it says. Thats called disagreeing with what you think, not lying.

Thanks Gandalf. I knew I was far more polite than you were implying.

Quote:
If you are still confused about what lying is, I'll once again use the example from your wiki (which I assume is still there) - where you claim that "muslims" (plural) said a number of statements when you actually only know of one who said it. Thats what a lie is FD - deliberately changing one fact (you heard me, and only me, say something) into something completely different (claiming that multiple people said it).

Are you suggesting you are the only Muslim, out of 1.5 billion, telling those particular lies? That is a rather absurd position to take isn't it Gandalf? As I recall, you refused to state whether you had personally come across any other Muslim telling those lies.

How can you be an Islamic reformer if not one single other Muslim takes you seriously?
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:17pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:25pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:45am:
So, you realise that the aha ditch are considered to be authoritative in the Sunni tradition. Therefore, you are picking and choosing verses in what is considered to be authoritative. You see the ‘anything goes’ approach here, don’t you?

This may come as a shock to you, but even the most avowed 'traditionalists' (as in following the traditions of the prophet - aka ahadith) cherry pick which traditions they believe and follow. Even if they are declared "sahih" (authentic) - there's actually different grades of sahih - so there's 'Sahih Bukhari', widely regarded as the most authoritative, then there's Sahih Muslim and Sahih Dawud - the latter two are generally considered less authentic than Bukhari - even though they both carry the title 'sahih'. But even beyond that, scholars will take ahadith on a case by case basis - even within the 'sahih' collection. So they will declare that this sahih Dawud is more authentic than this other sahih Dawud - based on their own inspection of the 'isnad' (chain of transmission - ie so and so told so and so who told... etc) - even though Dawud himself deemed them both sahih.

So I think you are under appreciating how trully complicated ahadith study is, and there certainly isn't the simplistic "all or nothing" approach that you are implying. From my perspective, I see the traditionalist scholars have throughout the ages been entirely cynical in their cherry picking of the ahadith. Take hudud law - barbaric practices to control society that have no Quranic basis, and even directly contradict Quranic commands. Yet they conveniently emerge just as despotic autocrats start popping up in the caliphate, with rebellion rife. And lo and behold, so too did ahadith emerge that equated obedience to rulers to obedience to God - eg:

Whosoever obeys the ruler has obeyed me and whoever obeys me had obeyed Allaah; and he who disobeys the ruler has disobeyed me and whoever disobeys me has disobeyed Allaah. (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim)

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:45am:
Second, how do you explain the glaring contradictions in the Quran, along with the change in style of speech? Surely, someone as omnipotent as God would be consistent in His speech???

No one, not even "sunni tradition" claims that the ahadith are the omnipotent word of God. Do you straight away see a glaring difference between them and the Quran? Do you reckon thats kinda significant?

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:52pm

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
You choose to interpret the opposite of what the Quran actually says.

Correction: you choose to interpret the opposite of what I interpret the Quran actually says.

Are you suggesting you are the only Muslim, out of 1.5 billion, telling those particular lies? That is a rather absurd position to take isn't it Gandalf? As I recall, you refused to state whether you had personally come across any other Muslim telling those lies.

Yes FD, you used that mind-numbingly stupid defense of your lie the first time. Clearly it was too much to hope that you would have wised up.

A lie is a lie based on the facts you knew at the time you made the lie. Its an intention thing. If you didn't know that no one besides me made the claim (which you didn't), then pretending the claim is a claim made by a plurality of people, and stating that as fact, is obviously a lie. Learning after the fact that lo and behold other people made the same claim too - doesn't make the lie not a lie. Just accept the fact that you lied because you dishonestly attributed a quote you heard from me to "muslims" (plural). Even if you had said something like "one muslim claims blah blah blah, but I bet he isn't the only one" - then that would be completely different.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:13pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:26pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
So I think you are under appreciating how trully complicated ahadith study is, and there certainly isn't the simplistic "all or nothing" approach that you are implying. From my perspective, I see the traditionalist scholars have throughout the ages been entirely cynical in their cherry picking of the ahadith. Take hudud law - barbaric practices to control society that have no Quranic basis, and even directly contradict Quranic commands. Yet they conveniently emerge just as despotic autocrats start popping up in the caliphate, with rebellion rife. And lo and behold, so too did ahadith emerge that equated obedience to rulers to obedience to God - eg:

Whosoever obeys the ruler has obeyed me and whoever obeys me had obeyed Allaah; and he who disobeys the ruler has disobeyed me and whoever disobeys me has disobeyed Allaah. (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim)

So, you know that the Medinan verses of the Quran urge followers to obey the Prophet and God??? The ahadith are deemed to be sayings of the Prophet. Second, the Prophet practised polygamy, warfare and slavery, so do you think that these practices are the best example of a human being?? You cannot say that Muhammad was the best example of a human being without condoning slavery, can you? Otherwise he was wrong.

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
No one, not even "sunni tradition" claims that the ahadith are the omnipotent word of God. Do you straight away see a glaring difference between them and the Quran? Do you reckon thats kinda significant?

Sorry, let me clarify. I was talking about within the Quran solely. The early Meccan verses are written in a very poetic manner, and were short, so that they could be memorized more easily orally. In my view, these verses are more representative of God's nature (as I believe it to be). As the tradition unfolds, the verses become longer and more simple until you get long prose in the Medinan verses, which includes legislation etc.

My view is that if God is omnipotent then why would he change the way He speaks? Presumably he was talking to the same group of people?? Someone like God shouldn't need to change His voice??

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:02pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:26pm:
So, you know that the Medinan verses of the Quran urge followers to obey the Prophet and God??? The ahadith are deemed to be sayings of the Prophet. Second, the Prophet practised polygamy, warfare and slavery, so do you think that these practices are the best example of a human being?? You cannot say that Muhammad was the best example of a human being without condoning slavery, can you? Otherwise he was wrong.

There's a heap of faulty logic here, but lets just focus on one glaring flaw in this paragraph: The command you are referring to in the Quran is actually a command to obey "the messenger", not "obey Muhammad" or "obey the prophet". Ordinarily you would say this is mere semantics, but it becomes significant when you read elsewhere in the Quran emphasis on Muhammad's role strictly as a deliverer of the message - not an enforcer. It literally spells this out unambiguously. Moreover, it also emphasises Muhammad is merely human, not to be elevated to anything beyond a mere human.

What does this mean? God wants us to "obey" the message of God - obviously. And this message is conveyed through "the messenger". And you can't be a messenger without a message. The command therefore is specific to the message of God (ie the Quran), not Muhammad the person.

Quote:

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:26pm:

There's a heap of faulty logic here, but lets just focus on one glaring flaw in this paragraph: The command you are referring to in the Quran is actually a command to obey "the messenger", not "obey Muhammad" or "obey the prophet". Ordinarily you would say this is mere semantics, but it becomes significant when you read elsewhere in the Quran emphasis on Muhammad's role strictly as a deliverer of the message - not an enforcer. It literally spells this out unambiguously. Moreover, it also emphasises Muhammad is merely human, not to be elevated to anything beyond a mere human.

What does this mean? God wants us to "obey" the message of God - obviously. And this message is conveyed through "the messenger". And you can't be a messenger without a message. The command therefore is specific to the message of God (ie the Quran), not Muhammad the person.

You are half-right, half-wrong.

In the early verses of the Quran, Muhammad is referred to as a Warner. "Thou art but a Warner..." i.e. he is there to deliver the message of God to people. Initially he was a deliverer, as you say, but then he BECAME an enforcer in Medina. In fact, if you read it chronologically, the evolution is very clear: Muhammad was but a Warner but then he became a Prophet.

So, whilst you are correct and your interpretation would suffice, unfortunately his role evolved beyond a Warner to Prophet and Leader. It's interesting how the language and terminology changes significantly over time as the revelations come. And there is where my issue with it it: the tradition (as in every religion) evolves to meet the needs to the community over time. In this sense, Islam was seen as a progressive religion. Problem is that once Muhammad died, whatever progress had been hitherto was frozen in time.

I suggest you read the Quran in revelation order. There's a chronology developed by Theodor Noldeke, a German orientalism who orders the Quran according to the order in which it was revealed. Leileh Bakhtier also released a Quran in Revelation Order. When you read the Quran in this order, and divide each surah according to Meccan and Medinan verses, you clearly see how the Islamic tradition evolved from a spiritual monotheistic creed to a socio-political doctrine.

Now, my person argument is that the Quran is actually much shorter than the actual Quran. Initially the word Quran wasn't used. I can't remember where exactly, but the first mention of the Quran is quite early on in the revelation. Maybe those few surahs are the 'True' Quran, with everything else being aHadith or commentaries on the Quran. It's clear that the later verses were the product of human design.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:14pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
When you read the Quran in this order, and divide each surah according to Meccan and Medinan verses, you clearly see how the Islamic tradition evolved from a spiritual monotheistic creed to a socio-political doctrine.

I am familiar with the chronological order of surahs, and it is not as simple as you portray it - even though that is a popular misconception. Chapter 2 for example is full of spiritual contemplation. Besides, some of the socio-political doctrine is the opposite of what the critics claim it is - like no compulsion in religion, and Allah guides those who believe to the path of peace - both Medinan verses.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:22pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
You choose to interpret the opposite of what the Quran actually says.

Correction: you choose to interpret the opposite of what I interpret the Quran actually says.

Yes FD, you used that mind-numbingly stupid defense of your lie the first time. Clearly it was too much to hope that you would have wised up.

A lie is a lie based on the facts you knew at the time you made the lie. Its an intention thing. If you didn't know that no one besides me made the claim (which you didn't), then pretending the claim is a claim made by a plurality of people, and stating that as fact, is obviously a lie. Learning after the fact that lo and behold other people made the same claim too - doesn't make the lie not a lie. Just accept the fact that you lied because you dishonestly attributed a quote you heard from me to "muslims" (plural). Even if you had said something like "one muslim claims blah blah blah, but I bet he isn't the only one" - then that would be completely different.

So I am lying because you are ignorant of what I knew at the time? Or because I did not make a patently stupid assumption?

Are you actually arguing that I told a lie that just happened to be true?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:45pm

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
So I am lying because you are ignorant of what I knew at the time?

LOL FD lying to cover up his lies.

You even asked me whether or not anyone else had said it. Now you are saying you knew all along that others had said it?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:19pm

Are you arguing that I told a lie that just happened to be true?

Is whether or not the statement is true at all relevant to whether it is a lie?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:36pm

Good for you Gandalf.

Gandalf,

How do you choose to interpret these two Koran verses ?

------ >

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. "
Koran 9.29

QUESTION;
Does the inflection of the meaning of the words contained in Koran 9.29, really call on moslems to fight those       who believe not       in Allah ?

Or do the words of Koran 9.29 really have another meaning, altogether ?

"There is for you an excellent example (to follow) in Abraham and those with him, when they said to their people: "We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: we have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever,- unless ye believe in Allah and Him alone"....."
Koran 60:4

QUESTION;
Does the meaning of the contents of Koran 60:4, support [i.e. confirm] the meaning of the contents of Koran 9.29 ?

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:47pm

Gandalf is no different then any other religious person picking and choosing what they believe.

Religion is like a cafeteria. You pick and choose what you want and ignore what you don’t.

He is no different then any other religious person here.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:48am

Raven wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:47pm:
Gandalf is no different then any other religious person picking and choosing what they believe.

Religion is like a cafeteria. You pick and choose what you want and ignore what you don’t.

Unfortunately... Cry

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 5:40am

But you've got to admit he's got style and charisma, and always presents himself as the sort of imam our mosques should be stocked with.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:28am

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:19pm:

A lie hinges on your knowledge of the facts at the time FD, and what claims you make about that knowledge. If you claim you know something that you don't - then thats a lie.

You clearly didn't know anyone else but me had made those statements, yet you stated as fact that other people had said it.

By your logic, if I stated that I knew for a fact there are green monkeys on the dark side of them moon - only to discover after the fact that lo and behold there are green monkeys there - I wasn't lying. Even though I dishonestly claimed I knew something that I didn't.

Thats exactly what you did FD - dishonestly claimed you knew something that you didn't. Ergo, a lie.

Quote:

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:19am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:14pm:
Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
When you read the Quran in this order, and divide each surah according to Meccan and Medinan verses, you clearly see how the Islamic tradition evolved from a spiritual monotheistic creed to a socio-political doctrine.

I am familiar with the chronological order of surahs, and it is not as simple as you portray it - even though that is a popular misconception. Chapter 2 for example is full of spiritual contemplation. Besides, some of the socio-political doctrine is the opposite of what the critics claim it is - like no compulsion in religion, and Allah guides those who believe to the path of peace - both Medinan verses.

Chapter 2 is full of spiritual contemplation, but it's also full of violence. It's the first revelation of Muhammad AFTER the migration to Medina. Chapter 9 and chapter 5 which are the latest surahs are more belligerent than surah 2 and therefore override surah 2 in importance.

I don't buy the fact that the entire Surah 9 is addressed to those with whom a treaty has been made. The initial verse deal with this but then it becomes universal. In fact the name of Surah 9 has nothing to do with treaties. Don't forget that the Quran consists of statements not related to each other.

Next argument

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #30 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:21am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:28am:

A lie hinges on your knowledge of the facts at the time FD, and what claims you make about that knowledge. If you claim you know something that you don't - then thats a lie.

You clearly didn't know anyone else but me had made those statements, yet you stated as fact that other people had said it.

By your logic, if I stated that I knew for a fact there are green monkeys on the dark side of them moon - only to discover after the fact that lo and behold there are green monkeys there - I wasn't lying. Even though I dishonestly claimed I knew something that I didn't.

Thats exactly what you did FD - dishonestly claimed you knew something that you didn't. Ergo, a lie.

That's what I tried telling, FD. When I told him that the Jews were a threat, and that everyone was out to get each other, etc. he accused me of being a liar. I told him that I genuinely believed these things to be true and therefore I wasn't lying. But he was insistent that a misrepresentation of historical facts was a lie, to which I replied that if it wasn't intentional or deliberate then it wasn't a lie.

According to FD, anyone who disagrees with him is a liar.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:23pm

Gandalf is fundamentally different, because Islam is fundamentally different. Most religious people are motivated to find the true meaning of their religious texts. However, Islam is just as much a political as a religious movement. Political movements change as the old agenda becomes irrelevant, universal or outdated. Hence, Gandalf tried to change the meaning of Islam to fit in with political ideologies he acquired before converting to Islam.

I challenge you to find any other religious group going to the lengths that Gandalf does to change the meaning of their primary religious texts.

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:28am:

I stated the bleeding obvious Gandalf. It did not "turn out" to be true. It was obviously true from the beginning. Nothing has changed. You are still afraid to admit that it is true. I don't know any more about it than I did previously, other than the fact that I called you out on you absurd allegations that I was lying and you have been ducking and weaving ever since.

Your ignorance of what I know does not make me a liar. Your refusal to concede that what I say is the truth does not make me a liar. Yet this is the absurdity of your position. You know what I say is true, but you accuse me of lying because you are ignorant of whether I can prove it. You accuse me of lying, but are afraid to disagree with me.

Is this a typical Muslim approach to the truth? To accuse people of lying when you know that what they say is true and when you are unwilling to disagree with them?

BTW, if you stated you knew for a fact there were green monkeys on the other side of the moon and it turned out to be true, you would be a genius, not a liar. And only an idiot would continue to call you are liar and pretend that the fact you told the truth is irrelevant.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:39pm

freediver wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:23pm:
It was obviously true from the beginning.

Yes, it was so obvious you kept asking me if it was correct.

Quote:

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 3:35pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 1:39pm:

In many open public debates, before argument proper begins [or can begin], people will often endeavour to get their opponent to;
'Nail their britches to the mast, so that they can't climb down.'

i.e.
To plainly and clearly explain and morally justify their position on an issue or on some belief.

But in public debates, we often will witness moslems 'duck and weave', and refuse to come out and 'nail their colours to the mast'.
i.e. refuse to plainly and clearly explain and justify their position and beliefs.

Quote:

nail your colours to the mast

If you nail your colours to the mast, you state your opinions or beliefs about something clearly and publicly.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/nail+colours+to+the+mast

THE JUSTIFICATION FOR MOSLEM VIOLENCE;
Moslems will insist that followers of ISLAM have every right to self defence.

And moslems will at the same time, insistently claim [to non-moslems] that ISLAM is a tolerant an peaceful philosophy.
[but the moslem knows that that, is deceit and a lie.    but the follower of ISLAM will never, ever, say that ISLAM is in the wrong, or that the followers of ISLAM are acting immorally.]

No moslem will ever admit to any infidel individual, or group, that ISLAM teaches that it is lawful for the followers of ISLAM to go to war against peaceful infidels, who are not harming moslems.

THE JUSTIFICATION FOR MOSLEM VIOLENCE;
Whenever the followers of ISLAM go to war with [what are] peaceful infidels, moslems will use the justification that the followers of ISLAM are 'defending ISLAM'.   [i.e. defending the right of the followers of ISLAM to impose ISLAMIC law upon non-moslems, who are resisting the moslems]
[e.g. Moslems fighting 'in-country' in Sweden, moslems fighting 'in-country' in France, moslems fighting 'in-country' in Germany, et al.]

n.b.
A legitimate definition of the word 'peace',        to the moslem mind,       is when the followers of ISLAM are bringing 'the peace of ISLAM' [i.e. ISLAMIC law], to infidel nations.
.....'by hook, or by crook.'

WHAT IS ISLAMIC 'PEACE' ???

------ >

Quote:

Pakistani cleric: 'We want Islamic law for all Pakistan and then the world.

We would like to do this by preaching.

But if not then we would use force.'

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2007/12/pakistani-cleric-we-want-islamic-law-for-all-p...

Quote:

"Peace summarises everything in Islam, because it means

submitting your will to God,

so you acquire peace through it," he said.

"When I'm following its [i.e. ISLAM's] teachings,

I know that my own actions are in line     with what my creator wants,

and hence I am at peace with myself, [with] my community and the rest of the world."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-19/darwins-muslim-community-tackles-discrimin...

IMAGE....

Quote:

"Mr Yunus has been encouraging peaceful community bridging since starting his post as Darwin's Islamic leader in 2014."

- ABC news report - 2015-01-19

QUOTE;
"Peace summarises everything in Islam..."

- Mr Yunus

"ISLAM ES PAZ"

IMAGE.....

Everyone knows that true ISLAM, is a religion of peace.

/sarc off

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2018 at 3:56pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:18pm

I asked you whether you were prepared to disagree with what you insist is a lie. You were not.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #35 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 10:33am

It is so true, Yadda. You look at videos of where Muslims are asked certain questions, and they can't answer with straight face. They duck and weave and then contradict themselves. It's quite extraordinary.

"In an Islamic State, where all Sharia conditions are met, and the burden of proof is met, is it moral that the punishment for adultery should be stoning?"

BTW, you forgot to write "and pigs will fly in Barcelona..."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 12:16pm

Gandalf was just upset that he got busted playing the stereotypical slippery Muslim, and it was reflecting badly on Islam and Muslims.

So in an impressive feat an irony, he tried to correct the situation by getting me to edit the wiki by accusing me of lying. He did this, despite being unwilling to disagree with the statement and unwilling to answer simple questions, such as whether he knew through his own experience that the statement was correct.

Even after all this became clear, he kept digging himself in deeper by attempting to redefine lie, so that it had nothing to do with whether a statement was true and depended instead on his very limited understanding of my knowledge at a particular point in time.

Somehow, I am not surprised. I have come to expect this from Muslims.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #37 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm

freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 12:16pm:
Gandalf was just upset that he got busted playing the stereotypical slippery Muslim, and it was reflecting badly on Islam and Muslims.

So in an impressive feat an irony, he tried to correct the situation by getting me to edit the wiki by accusing me of lying. He did this, despite being unwilling to disagree with the statement and unwilling to answer simple questions, such as whether he knew through his own experience that the statement was correct.

Even after all this became clear, he kept digging himself in deeper by attempting to redefine lie, so that it had nothing to do with whether a statement was true and depended instead on his very limited understanding of my knowledge at a particular point in time.

But, you have to understand it's not really their fault. They've been brainwashed to think that some book written in 7th century Arabia is the eternal and unalterable Word of God, which is the problem in of itself.

Muhammad reminds me of a cult leader who demanded his followers die for him whilst he screwed his harem of women, and got filthy rich from all the loot and plundering.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:03pm by Auggie »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:33pm

All religions are susceptible to being abused by political leaders for their own personal gain. In the case of Islam, it was the founder of the religion who was the biggest abuser.

Gandalf is free to choose for himself, unlike most Muslims in the world.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:56pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm:

But, you have to understand it's not really their fault. They've been brainwashed

Brainwashed? Don't be an ass, Gussie Fink-Nottle. There's a billion of them. Who is washing their brains?  Are they men and women or are they children?

It's Islam and they freely go for it. What is sad is that they keep going for it even when they ecape its clutches and come to the West.
They still side with the submission. Freedom is unbearable for them and a violation of their deepest concepts of what it means to be alive.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #40 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:46am

Frank wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:56pm:
Auggie wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm:

But, you have to understand it's not really their fault. They've been brainwashed

Brainwashed? Don't be an ass, Gussie Fink-Nottle. There's a billion of them. Who is washing their brains?  Are they men and women or are they children?

It's Islam and they freely go for it. What is sad is that they keep going for it even when they ecape its clutches and come to the West.
They still side with the submission. Freedom is unbearable for them and a violation of their deepest concepts of what it means to be alive.

Just like other religions, their parents and the culture they are brought up in that is greatly influenced by a religion. You think kids just go "Oh, Yeah! Jesus/Allah/YHWY are the truth!"? It's child abuse as far as I'm concerned whether it's Muslims, Christians or whoever doing it. It's brainwashing alright.

Just like this crap. The army of God?

“Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.”
― Aristotle, The Philosophy of Aristotle

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #41 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:16am

I'm not trying to diminish the pox of Islam but watch this and see where another religion could go the same way if the secular society it lives in fell.

These beliefs are a pox on man, do not let your children near them.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 2:37pm

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:33pm:
Gandalf is free to choose for himself, unlike most Muslims in the world.

I say, are you granting G the freedom to be a Muslim?

You do know that Moslem == a follower of Islam, don't you?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #43 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:31pm

freediver wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 9:18pm:

I asked you whether you were prepared to disagree with what you insist is a lie. You were not.

See once again FD applies the absurd logic that if I'm not prepared to admit whether or not my claims came from other sources - his dishonesty in stating as fact that "muslims" (plural) said something he heard only from one muslim - is somehow not dishonest.

FD here's you trying to get me to confirm whether or not your baseless attribution of my quotes to "muslims" (plural) was true or not - are we now to believe these questions were merely rhetorical - and that you secretly knew all along that other muslims had said all these things?

freediver wrote on Jul 9th, 2017 at 10:06pm:
Good point Gandalf. Let's clear this up as soon as possible.

Which bits did you fabricate on your own, and which bits did you simply parrot from other Muslims without quoting the source?

Also, this is how FD answers a very reasonable question about whether or not he can source his BS claim that my quotes came from multiple muslims:

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:37pm:
FD can you cite any other muslim besides me making the aforementioned claims?

freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 6:17pm:
Can you?

Or did you just make it up as you went?

FD employs the old logic that if you make a claim with no evidence and someone calls you out on that - its then up to the person calling you out on a baseless claim to find your proof for you.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:06pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 3:31pm:

See once again FD applies the absurd logic that if I'm not prepared to admit whether or not my claims came from other sources - his dishonesty in stating as fact that "muslims" (plural) said something he heard only from one muslim - is somehow not dishonest.

FD here's you trying to get me to confirm whether or not your baseless attribution of my quotes to "muslims" (plural) was true or not - are we now to believe these questions were merely rhetorical - and that you secretly knew all along that other muslims had said all these things?

Which bits did you fabricate on your own, and which bits did you simply parrot from other Muslims without quoting the source?

Also, this is how FD answers a very reasonable question about whether or not he can source his BS claim that my quotes came from multiple muslims:

Can you?

FD employs the old logic that if you make a claim with no evidence and someone calls you out on that - its then up to the person calling you out on a baseless claim to find your proof for you.

Gandalf, do you often accuse people of lying at the same time as refusing to disagree with them, or answer simple questions about whether you know the statement is true?

Do you often accuse people of lying and then start insisting that whether they are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether they are lying?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:22pm

freediver wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:06pm:

Can you?

Gandalf, do you often accuse people of lying at the same time as refusing to disagree with them, or answer simple questions about whether you know the statement is true?

Do you often accuse people of lying and then start insisting that whether they are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether they are lying?

Do you uphold the use of porkies in your campaign against the Muselman?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #46 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 2:19pm

Can you?

And once again, your problem here is in thinking that dishonesty and lying can somehow become not dishonest and not lies - if you obtain some relevant information after the fact. By your logic, I could invent something I could not possible know to be true - like saying there are monkeys on the dark side of the moon and pretend its fact. And apparently it would magically not become a lie if that claim was miraculously proven to be true at some point after the fact. That is the logic you are flogging here. Yet not only this, you also take the absurd position that its also not a lie if you can demonstrate that the person who might know whether its true or not refuses to provide evidence that would prove your statement factual! So if we use my moon monkey analogy again, thats like me saying "there are monkeys on the dark side of them moon" and then demanding that the person who has seen the dark side of the moon and knows whats on there to provide evidence to validate my claim - and when he refuses declaring "therefore it can't be a lie!". Thats literally how ridiculous you are being here FD.

Once again you singularly refuse to understand (or acknowledge) that lying and dishonesty comes from intent. You clearly intended to deceive as you attributed a statement you heard from one muslim, and one muslim alone, to a plurality of muslims - and stated it as fact.  You kinda got close to making a coherent argument for you not lying by claiming you did know for a fact all those things were said by more than one muslim - yet you just dig yourself deeper and prove yourself even more dishonest by continuing to refuse to cite any other sources for this claim besides me. Of course we all know what your game is - by attributing "muslims" to an incriminating statement you heard only from one person, it presents muslims as a collective, who have a hive mind - a "mindless collective" if you will.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 2:38pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 2:47pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 2:19pm:

Can you?

And once again, your problem here is in thinking that dishonesty and lying can somehow become not dishonest and not lies - if you obtain some relevant information after the fact. By your logic, I could invent something I could not possible know to be true -

Well, we still don't know whether you support the execution of gays who do it Mardi Gras-style, G. You say you don't, but you must be lying. After all, Abu supports it, and he's a Muslim.

Google: taqiyya.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:32pm

Quote:
And once again, your problem here is in thinking that dishonesty and lying can somehow become not dishonest and not lies - if you obtain some relevant information after the fact.

You accused me of this, but you are lying. Again. I did ask you several questions, but you evaded every single time. I still do not even know whether you are accusing me of lying over a statement you personally believe to be true. That is the extent of your evasiveness.

Quote:
By your logic, I could invent something I could not possible know to be true - like saying there are monkeys on the dark side of the moon and pretend its fact. And apparently it would magically not become a lie if that claim was miraculously proven to be true at some point after the fact.

The difference is that I am stating the bleeding obvious, and it is possible to know whether it is true. Is this some special Islamic version of logic you are yet to explain to us?

Quote:
That is the logic you are flogging here.

Are you now trying to insist it is impossible to know what Muslims say? Why don't you jsut admit you were clutching at straws to accuse me of lying.

Quote:
Yet not only this, you also take the absurd position that its also not a lie if you can demonstrate that the person who might know whether its true or not refuses to provide evidence that would prove your statement factual!

This is merely evidence of your continued stereotypical Muslim evasiveness. Whether you admit that what I say is true is not relevant to whether it is true. It is relevant to your tapdancing.

Quote:
Once again you singularly refuse to understand (or acknowledge) that lying and dishonesty comes from intent.

That's terribly unlucky for you Gandalf, as it means you have made a statement that you can not possibly know to be true.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:11pm

Quote:
You accused me of this, but you are lying. Again. I did ask you several questions, but you evaded every single time. I still do not even know whether you are accusing me of lying over a statement you personally believe to be true. That is the extent of your evasiveness.

FD, do you uphold the use of lying in your campaign against the Muselman?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #50 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 2:56pm

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:32pm:
You accused me of this, but you are lying. Again. I did ask you several questions, but you evaded every single time.

Hmmm and when did you ask me FD - before or after you made your BS statement in the wiki? And once again you really do seem to be applying this hilarious logic that a baseless claim that a slippery muslim won't confirm or deny and is all slippery about it - can therefore somehow be stated as fact and not be a lie. Are you saying I can invent some crap that you might know is true or not - and it can't be a lie so long as you are slippery and evasive about it when I ask you if its true

The difference is that I am stating the bleeding obvious, and it is possible to know whether it is true.

Indeed FD - its so bleeding obvious, and so possible to know whether is true - yet you somehow couldn't do it in the wiki article that would have made it something other than a baseless, blanket slur - and whats more continue to refuse to cite anything. FD you must surely agree that when you make multiple claims about what "muslims" (plural) say, but in every instance cite as evidence the same one person saying it - it is at the very least baseless and sloppy - no?

Just out of interest, have you really heard other muslims besides me, in your words "make the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran"? Can you at least give me a clue where else you heard that - since its "bleeding obvious" and so "possible to know", that shouldn't be a problem for you no?

That's terribly unlucky for you Gandalf, as it means you have made a statement that you can not possibly know to be true.

Not at all FD. I can cite you the exact statements you made and the exact non-existent references you made to "support" those statements. If you still need it explained to you how stating one thing as fact and citing something completely different as "evidence" is lying - I suggest you consult a dictionary. I can also cite pages of tapdancing where you singularly refused to provide any other reference to any other muslim besides me saying what you stated as fact a plurality of muslims have said - despite your assurances it is "bleeding obvious" and "possible to know".

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #51 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 3:03pm

Because me agreeing with them or not determines whether or not the people in question are being dishonest? Is that really what you think FD? Or do you concede you are asking something that is completely irrelevant to the issue here (ie whether or not you were being dishonest)?

Try and have a little think, and see if you can come up with a scenario in which someone can actually be dishonest even if what they say turns out to be true. Hint: the key here is intent.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #52 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:56pm

Quote:
Hmmm and when did you ask me FD - before or after you made your BS statement in the wiki?

It does not matter. Your evasiveness is still evidence of your evasiveness, no matter when it happened.

Quote:
And once again you really do seem to be applying this hilarious logic that a baseless claim that a slippery muslim won't confirm or deny and is all slippery about it - can therefore somehow be stated as fact and not be a lie.

I have repeatedly told you that I am not doing so Gandalf. This is all in your imagination.

Quote:
Indeed FD - its so bleeding obvious, and so possible to know whether is true - yet you somehow couldn't do it in the wiki article that would have made it something other than a baseless, blanket slur - and whats more continue to refuse to cite anything.

The wiki is full of links to examples. That's what the little numbers are.

Quote:
Not at all FD. I can cite you the exact statements you made

But you just finished explaining that whether I lied has nothing to do with whether I was telling the truth, but boiled down to my intentions.

Quote:
Because me agreeing with them or not determines whether or not the people in question are being dishonest?

No, I just want to know whether you make a habit of accusing people of lying at the same time as refusing to disagree with them, or answer simple questions about whether you know the statement is true. Also, do you often accuse people of lying and then start insisting that whether they are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether they are lying?

Quote:
Try and have a little think, and see if you can come up with a scenario in which someone can actually be dishonest even if what they say turns out to be true. Hint: the key here is intent.

So you stating for a fact something about my intent that you cannot possibly know must be a lie right? Or does this Muslim logic only get applied to non-Muslims?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:35pm

That's right. Those numbers in the Wiki reference the Muselman's despicable  lies.

They all quote FD's own posts.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #54 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:59am

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:56pm:
The wiki is full of links to examples. That's what the little numbers are.

You are lying FD. Fancy that?

Lets just take one exampe from the wiki:

Quote:
Muslims will make the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran (you do not misunderstand, it really is that stupid). However no English translations use the term either.

- contains how many references FD? One - me. Actually I asked you about this particular one in my last post - shock horror you dodged it. Is your evasion a concession that indeed I am the only person you heard making this claim - and that you lied by stating as fact that a plurality of muslims made the claim? Of if, as you suggested before, its 'bleeding obvious' - could you at least tell me who else you heard making this very specific claim as quoted above? No? Perhaps where else you heard it?

This of course is not the only one - as I have quoted before. Footnotes 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 - all contain a claim about what "muslims" (plural) say, but which reference a single source - me.

Why would you lie about this FD? Its not like I haven't mentioned these before.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #55 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:11am

So you stating for a fact something about my intent that you cannot possibly know must be a lie right?

I do know your intent FD - your "intention" was to make a slur against "muslims" (collectively) - and back it up with a reference to a single person - me. I know because thats exactly what you wrote - 6 times to be exact. Would you like a link to your own wiki?

Are you able to explain, in a way that doesn't make you come across as a lying bigot, why you would make blanket accusations about stupid things muslims collectively say, yet reference it only with a quote from a single muslim? - and then obfuscate and dodge for pages and pages when someone reasonably asks you who these other muslims you referred to are? Not to mention lie by pretending there are actually multiple examples cited for those claims?

Do you agree this behaviour of yours makes your moralising about me being racist by blaming people at a collective level - pretty hilarious?
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:17am by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 12:13pm

Quote:
I do know your intent FD - your "intention" was to make a slur against "muslims" (collectively) - and back it up with a reference to a single person - me. I know because thats exactly what you wrote - 6 times to be exact. Would you like a link to your own wiki?

That does not make it untrue or a lie Gandalf.

Quote:
Are you able to explain, in a way that doesn't make you come across as a lying bigot, why you would make blanket accusations about stupid things muslims collectively say, yet reference it only with a quote from a single muslim?

I did it because I like to give real examples to back up my claims.

Quote:
Do you agree this behaviour of yours makes your moralising about me being racist by blaming people at a collective level - pretty hilarious?

No. You blame races for diseases. That's pretty much the definition of racism.

Or is this the only time? I need to know so I can be accurate with my plurals and singulars. I'd hate to have you hassle me for months over an extra s.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 12:44pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:11am:
So you stating for a fact something about my intent that you cannot possibly know must be a lie right?

Are you able to explain, in a way that doesn't make you come across as a lying bigot, why you would make blanket accusations about stupid things muslims collectively say, yet reference it only with a quote from a single muslim? - and then obfuscate and dodge for pages and pages when someone reasonably asks you who these other muslims you referred to are? Not to mention lie by pretending there are actually multiple examples cited for those claims?

Well, I think this is a rather long way of asking if FD if he upholds the use of porkies in his campaign against the Muselman.

Good luck with that one.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 12:47pm

freediver wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 12:13pm:
Quote:

That does not make it untrue or a lie Gandalf.

Quote:
Are you able to explain, in a way that doesn't make you come across as a lying bigot, why you would make blanket accusations about stupid things muslims collectively say, yet reference it only with a quote from a single muslim?

I did it because I like to give real examples to back up my claims.

Quote:

Or is this the only time? I need to know so I can be accurate with my plurals and singulars. I'd hate to have you hassle me for months over an extra s.

You're right, FD, so unfair. Claiming G said those Jews were a mindless collective can't possibly be a lie.

After all, he's a wacist. He must think it.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #59 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 2:53pm

FD Can you confirm you've heard other muslims besides me make this claim FD? How long are you going to dodge this one?

Quote:
Muslims will make the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran (you do not misunderstand, it really is that stupid). However no English translations use the term either.

Quote:

And I do that while simultaneously denying races even exist. Genius isn't it?

Quote:

You lied by making a claim about what a collective said, based on what you heard a single muslim say. No need for the 20 questions routine FD - its really as simple as that. That you continue to dodge and weave whenever I ask you to show who else said it just proves you are lying. Oh, and yeah, you also lied by claiming the aforementioned claims have more references besides me.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 4:00pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 2:53pm:

No Gandalf, it's racist.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:15pm

Quote:

Yes Gandalf. It is so clever that when I asked you whether you would defend a white supremacist from charges of racism while he denigrated Africans and blamed them for African diseases at the same time as insisting African is not a race, you refused to give a straight answer.

Would you like to give one now?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:18pm

freediver wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:15pm:
Quote:

Yes Gandalf. It is so clever that when I asked you whether you would defend a white supremacist from charges of racism while he denigrated Africans and blamed them for African diseases at the same time as insisting African is not a race, you refused to give a straight answer.

Would you like to give one now?

A straight answer, eh?

Oh, FD. That's a question.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #63 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 9:00am

freediver wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:15pm:

Denigrated Africans for what? You mean denigrating a group of them for raping and pillaging and spreading disease when that group actually did go a raping and pillaging and spreading diseases? No, FD, that would not be racist. If on the other hand he saw a single African saying something he thought was silly, and mocked "Africans" (collectively) for having these silly beliefs with no evidence that Africans collectively hold those beliefs - then yeah that would be racist.

Isn't it funny how whenever I try and get you to stop dodging something, you miraculously manage to find some straw to grasp to pretend its me, not you, doing the dodging?

So anyway, back to your ducking and weaving routine - any luck finding a reference of a muslim other than me making "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran"?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 10:10am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 9:00am:
Isn't it funny how whenever I try and get you to stop dodging something, you miraculously manage to find some straw to grasp to pretend its me, not you, doing the dodging?

No, it's funny that FD accuses you of not giving a straight answer.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #65 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:19am

FD??

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 9:00am:
So anyway, back to your ducking and weaving routine - any luck finding a reference of a muslim other than me making "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran"?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:24pm

Gandalf do you honestly expect me to find yet more examples to back up a claim that you do not disagree with?

Is there something about this specific claim that makes you focus on it? Do you have a particular reason for thinking no other Muslims have ever uttered it? I concede that it is a particularly stupid thing to say, but Muslims set the bar pretty low, and show no hesitation in parroting the most bizarre claims in an effort to justify the many atrocities committed by Muhammad.

Also, why are you always so reluctant to reveal your sources? Is it because you don't want it to be too easy for me to find more examples of Muslims saying the same thing as you?

Do you often accuse people of lying at the same time as refusing to disagree with them, or answer simple questions about whether you know the statement is true?

Do you often accuse people of lying and then start insisting that whether they are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether they are lying? Is this a case of one Muslim being creative in their absurdity, or just doing what Muslims do?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #67 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 2:34pm

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:24pm:
Gandalf do you honestly expect me to find yet more examples to back up a claim that you do not disagree with?

I do disagree FD - I disagree that anyone else besides me said it. And I disagree that you know anyone else who said it - or in other words, I believe you are lying. The fact that you continue to refuse to nominate anyone else proves it.

s there something about this specific claim that makes you focus on it? Do you have a particular reason for thinking no other Muslims have ever uttered it?

It was a very specific claim about a very specific topic that only we were debating. This was far more obscure than the other claims - and I simply don't believe that you believe - let alone know for a fact, that its some widespread debating point among muslims. I can tell you for a fact I have never heard anyone - muslim or otherwise - say it (not that that makes any difference to whether or not you were lying of course).

Also, why are you always so reluctant to reveal your sources?

FD I made them all up, why do I need to spell that out? It has absolutely no bearing on whether your claims in the wiki were big fat porkies (they were regardless). Of course I'm not discounting the possibility that other muslims make the same arguments, but I am not going to lie and state it as fact when I simply don't know - as you do.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 2:55pm

Well, let's try for a straight answer.

FD, do you uphold the use of porkies in the Wiki?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:16pm

Quote:
I do disagree FD - I disagree that anyone else besides me said it.

OK. I think this is the first time you have disagreed. Do you also disagree with any of the others?

Quote:
It was a very specific claim about a very specific topic that only we were debating. This was far more obscure than the other claims - and I simply don't believe that you believe - let alone know for a fact, that its some widespread debating point among muslims.

Would you mind quoting me saying that?

Quote:
FD I made them all up, why do I need to spell that out?

The funny thing is, Abu made a lot of the same claims. So did Falah. Even Aguie was sprouting some of them recently.

Quote:
Of course I'm not discounting the possibility that other muslims make the same arguments, but I am not going to lie and state it as fact when I simply don't know - as you do.

Some are very detailed. Is it a coincidence that you all happen to make up the same excuses and stories?

When you say you made them all up, are you saying they are all lies? Or that whether you are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether you are lying?

Why did you trott out the blue moon monkeys explanation for why I am lying if you now claim I was also not telling the truth?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:56pm

Why are you asking G, FD? Do you use porkies or not?

Why is it so hard for you to say?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #71 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:57am

FD did Abu or Falah make "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English."

If so, I'd like a quote please.

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:16pm:
Why did you trott out the blue moon monkeys explanation for why I am lying if you now claim I was also not telling the truth?

Once again you completely misunderstand the point.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:18am

When you say you made them all up, are you saying they are all lies? Or that whether you are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether you are lying? Are you in fact accusing me of lying about whether your lies are individual or collective, by misusing an s?

Quote:
FD did Abu or Falah make "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English."

No idea. I have vague recollections of them banging on about the fact the Quran is in Arabic and unless you speak Arabic you cannot possibly say anything negative about the book. Does it matter?

Quote:
If so, I'd like a quote please.

So would I. I could add it to the wiki. Thanks for the advice Gandalf.

Quote:
Once again you completely misunderstand the point.

Your point was that whether I am telling the truth is irrelevant to whether I am lying. Now, why would you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying? Have you ever made this argument before, or is this the first time? And why won't you say? If I accused Muslims of this dirty little trick, would I be incorrect?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #73 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:38am

freediver wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:18am:
No idea.

Ah.

So if not Abu or Falah - who else? I mean you *DID* state it as fact that more than one person said it, and you *DID* go on to brazenly declare it was "bleeding obvious" and can easily be shown that other people besides me said it.

Surely then you have a particular reference in mind? If not an actual quote you can show us? Now would be a good time to show us the money FD. Why do you subject us to so much evasion over this?

If not - what othe conclusion can we make other than you are lying?

Try and be reasonable here FD, I know its hard.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:45am

Yes, G, but you missed FD's point about Muslims lying about the truth of lies that are true.

Would you care to comment?

You seem to be making a big fuss about FD's use of the letter s. Should he not have the freedom to use all letters of the alphabet? And what if FD had a speech impediment? Would you be victimising him then?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #75 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:35am

FD certainly seems to have an issue with casually attributing single references to pluralities.

Another example is when he declared that "historians" (plural) argue that the constitution of medina was not so much an agreement, but unilaterally imposed by Muhammad. Unfortunately, he got that from a wiki page that cited a single historian - Bernard Lewis. As with this case, I invited him to reference the other historians who said this that would justify his use of "historians". Needless to say we had the same mealy mouthed ducking and weaving routine we are seeing here.

Oh, and yeah, he also lied about what Lewis actually said too.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:43am

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:35am:
FD certainly seems to have an issue with casually attributing single references to pluralities.

Another example is when he declared that "historians" (plural) argue that the constitution of medina was not so much an agreement, but unilaterally imposed by Muhammad. Unfortunately, he got that from a wiki page that cited a single historian - Bernard Lewis. As with this case, I invited him to reference the other historians who said this that would justify his use of "historians". Needless to say we had the same mealy mouthed ducking and weaving routine we are seeing here.

Oh, and yeah, he also lied about what Lewis actually said too.

Yes, but as FD says, you Muslims have taqiyya, so the occasional use of porkies is necessary.

Have you thought of asking FD if he upholds the use of porkies in his campaign against the Muselman?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #77 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:52am

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:43am:
Have you thought of asking FD if he upholds the use of porkies in his campaign against the Muselman?

I did actually - long time ago. He said they were not helpful.

But then he continued to spinelessly apologise for people who do it  Undecided

Even more interesting is seeing the old boy's thoughts on it. I remember I presented a proven porky to him, and he basically said its ok because in any case its consistent with the general theme of Islam. As if to say - even if that was made up, somewhere else it probably did happen - so its ok.

The mind boggles thinking about the logical progression and moral trajectory of where that can take you...

why shouldn't we lynch that muslim who may or may not have done anything wrong?? - we know someone just like him probably did something heinous, somewhere

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:00pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:52am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:43am:

I did actually - long time ago. He said they were not helpful.

But then he continued to spinelessly apologise for people who do it  Undecided

Even more interesting is seeing the old boy's thoughts on it. I remember I presented a proven porky to him, and he basically said its ok because in any case its consistent with the general theme of Islam. As if to say - even if that was made up, somewhere else it probably did happen - so its ok.

The mind boggles thinking about the logical progression and moral trajectory of where that can take you...

why shouldn't we lynch that muslim who may or may not have done anything wrong?? - we know someone just like him probably did something heinous, somewhere

Yes, G, but you left out the s: why shouldn't we lynch those Muslims who may or may not have done anything wrong??

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm

Quote:
So if not Abu or Falah - who else? I mean you *DID* state it as fact that more than one person said it, and you *DID* go on to brazenly declare it was "bleeding obvious" and can easily be shown that other people besides me said it.

Can you quote me?

Quote:
Surely then you have a particular reference in mind?

There is probably an example on the wiki. I like to include an example to back up what I say.

Why did you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying? Would it be reasonable to conclude from the efforts you went to with that argument that you were conceding I was right?

Have you ever made this argument about truth not being a defence against lying before, or is this the first time? And why won't you say? If I accused Muslims of this dirty little trick, would I be incorrect?

When you say you made them all up, are you saying they are all lies? Or that whether you are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether you are lying? Are you in fact accusing me of lying about the popularity of your lies among your fellow Muslims, by misusing an s? Or is it just one of your lies?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #80 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:19am

freediver wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm:
Quote:

Can you quote me?

This is how you responded when I put it to you that you clearly didn't know anyone but me had made any of the statements in your wiki that you attributed to more than one muslim:

I stated the bleeding obvious Gandalf. It did not "turn out" to be true. It was obviously true from the beginning. Nothing has changed. You are still afraid to admit that it is true. I don't know any more about it than I did previously, other than the fact that I called you out on you absurd allegations that I was lying and you have been ducking and weaving ever since.

and...

I am stating the bleeding obvious, and it is possible to know whether it is true.

Interesting, its so bleeding obvious, and so possible to know - yet you continue to duck and weave whenever I ask you to nominate anyone else.

Would you like to have another go?

Who else besides me has made "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran (you do not misunderstand, it really is that stupid)."??

Quote:
Why did you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying? Would it be reasonable to conclude from the efforts you went to with that argument that you were conceding I was right?

No FD, you were not right. No one besides me has ever made the arabic/english argument I quoted above. I have no reason to suspect otherwise, and you certainly have presented no evidence to suggest otherwise. I'm not even sure I made it.

Quote:
Have you ever made this argument about truth not being a defence against lying before, or is this the first time? And why won't you say? If I accused Muslims of this dirty little trick, would I be incorrect?

A lie is a lie based on the intention of the liar. Have I mentioned that before? Please do feel free to babble more inane nonsense if you are still having difficulty with this most simple concept.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:56am

FD made a typo there too, G. Instead of "they", he meant to type "you".

An easy mistake to make.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #82 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:25pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:19am:
freediver wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm:
Quote:

Can you quote me?

This is how you responded when I put it to you that you clearly didn't know anyone but me had made any of the statements in your wiki that you attributed to more than one muslim:

and...

I am stating the bleeding obvious, and it is possible to know whether it is true.

Interesting, its so bleeding obvious, and so possible to know - yet you continue to duck and weave whenever I ask you to nominate anyone else.

Would you like to have another go?

Who else besides me has made "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran (you do not misunderstand, it really is that stupid)."??

Can you quote where I stated as fact that I can easily show it?

Quote:
Quote:

No FD, you were not right. No one besides me has ever made the arabic/english argument I quoted above. I have no reason to suspect otherwise, and you certainly have presented no evidence to suggest otherwise. I'm not even sure I made it.

Quote:

A lie is a lie based on the intention of the liar. Have I mentioned that before? Please do feel free to babble more inane nonsense if you are still having difficulty with this most simple concept.

You didn't answer the question Gandalf. Why did you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying? Would it be reasonable to conclude from the efforts you went to with that argument that you were conceding I was right?

And yes you have mentioned it. You said it was a lie to state something that you cannot know to be true, then went on to make statements about my intentions that were the opposite of what I said and that you cannot possibly know to be true. I pointed out this hypocrisy to you previously. I don't think you ever responded, other than repeating yourself.

When you say you made them all up, are you saying they are all lies? Or that whether you are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether you are lying? Are you in fact accusing me of lying about the popularity of your lies among your fellow Muslims, by misusing an s? Or is it just one of your lies?

How do you know that no other Muslim has ever made the same claim? There are 1.4 billion of them after all, and the whole Arabic thing is a common theme. What is it about this particular claim that makes you so sure you are the only one to ever make it? Is it because you know it is not just a lie, but a particularly absurd lie?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #83 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:16pm

freediver wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:25pm:
You didn't answer the question Gandalf. Why did you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying?

Because it isn't. How many times do I have to explain this? You lie because you intend to be deceptive. You knew of only one muslim who had made those claims, yet you dishonestly stated as fact that multiple muslims had said it.

For all your huffing and puffing and inane babbling since, you have yet to refute this very point in the most bleedingly obvious way you could - by proving that more than one muslim said it.

But hey, I'll give you yet another chance because I'm such a nice and patient guy. I'll even highlight it so it definitely won't escape your attention:

please cite the other muslims besides me  who made "the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran (you do not misunderstand, it really is that stupid)."??

Here's your chance to show you're not a liar.

No? Duck and weave and blabber inanely some more? As you were.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #84 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:25pm

How do you know that no other Muslim has ever made the same claim? There are 1.4 billion of them after all, and the whole Arabic thing is a common theme. What is it about this particular claim that makes you so sure you are the only one to ever make it? Is it because you know it is not just a lie, but a particularly absurd lie?

Do you often defend yourself against accusations of lying with this "how do you know its not true" defense? You are seriously telling me you can't see the logical flaw in it? Do you at least acknowledge the problem with attributing a claim to multiple muslims, but referencing only one muslim saying it? Would you agree that it would have been more honest to say something like "at least one muslim makes the argument...." or something similar, rather than simply stating as fact with no evidence that multiple muslims said it?

Do you use this same defense against that other famous lie of yours - stating as fact with zero evidence that  government school funds misappropriated by AFIC went to terrorists? ie - "its not a lie - because you don't know its not true!" Wait come to think of it, I think you actually did use that defense - am I right?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:28pm

G, I think FD's saying he made a simple grammatical mishtake.

Can't you forgive him?

So mean.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #86 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:42pm

Quote:
Quote:
Why did you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying?
Because it isn't. How many times do I have to explain this? You lie because you intend to be deceptive.

How do you know what my intentions were? How is this not a lie by your own standard?

And given that, truth is a perfectly reasonable defence against accusations of lying. If someone is telling the truth, you assume they are telling the truth. The extraordinary claim that they intended to lie and just happened to tell the truth requires extraordinary evidence. But you would put it the opposite way - that someone telling the turth should be assumed to be lying until they can prove their intentions weren't the opposite of the outcome.

Quote:
Do you often defend yourself against accusations of lying with this "how do you know its not true" defense?

I provided evidence to back up my claim. You have provided no evidence to back up your claim. You are the one making a big deal about it. Yet you cannot even answer simple questions about it.

Quote:
Do you at least acknowledge the problem with attributing a claim to multiple muslims, but referencing only one muslim saying it?

No. I think one example is a lot better than none. I've never seen it argued that two examples must be provided to justify the use of the plural. It seems particularly anal to me, unless you have a specific reason to believe this is a one-off. Which in this case you appear to be claiming, but it is remarkably difficult to get a straight answer on that one.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:46pm

FD, a question if I may. Did you make a simple grammatical mishtake?

Did you misplace the letter s?

Let's clear this one up once and for all.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #88 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:59pm

freediver wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:42pm:
How do you know that no other Muslim has ever made the same claim?

Given that you stated as fact that they have, the question should be how do you know that they have?

Quick FD thats your cue - duck for cover!

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:01pm

So unfair.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #90 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:19pm

And given that, truth is a perfectly reasonable defence against accusations of lying. If someone is telling the truth, you assume they are telling the truth. The extraordinary claim that they intended to lie and just happened to tell the truth requires extraordinary evidence. But you would put it the opposite way - that someone telling the turth should be assumed to be lying until they can prove their intentions weren't the opposite of the outcome

Lets be clear here FD - I don't believe your statements are statements of truth. Certainly not for that most obscure arabic/english claim (which not even I made by the way, but anyway). It is you who is mounting this unbelievably absurd argument that says 'I'm not lying because - how do you know it isn't true?' - and then off you go on your usual inane FD babble of demanding that I disprove a negative. Just like your even more absurd defense of your "AFIC school funds go to terrorsts" slur - which consisted entirely of demanding that I prove it wasn't so.

I provided evidence to back up my claim.

Sorry I must have missed that FD. If you could kindly show me where you referenced multiple muslims saying what you claimed they said. Cause I can tell you its not in the wiki.

I've never seen it argued that two examples must be provided to justify the use of the plural.

Grin Grin Grin - sig worthy.

So do you often go around referring to me as gandalf the "muslims" (plural)?

Or do you genuinely think its ok to take a single quote from a single muslim - and use it to make a general slur against muslims as a collective? Is that why you quit the "criticising Europeans = racist" discussion - because the rank hypocricy became too embarassing for you?

You know what, lets just cut to the chase here FD: lets cut it down to a simple question: do you know for a fact that more than one muslim said those things you attributed to multiple muslims? Yes or no. And if so, how do you know? Where did you see those statements? Can you reference them?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:25pm

Excuse me, G, how do you know those Muslim/s don't exist?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #92 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:37pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:25pm:
Excuse me, G, how do you know those Muslim/s don't exist?

Good point. Debate concluded. Well done.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #93 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:54pm

Quote:
Lets be clear here FD - I don't believe your statements are statements of truth. Certainly not for that most obscure arabic/english claim (which not even I made by the way, but anyway).

OK. So I made a claim that Muslims do something in particular. You respond by claiming that it was a lie even if it is true, and that it is a lie because I use the plural rather than the singular, and insist I should have said 'one Muslim', but now you deny even that is true. All the while demanding I go looking for more quotes. And you wonder why I don't bother looking for you. You can backflip far faster than I can find the evidence you demand.

Quote:
and then off you go on your usual inane FD babble of demanding that I disprove a negative

You stated it as a fact. You also said that doing this, without having any way of knowing if it is true, is another lie. Does that mean you are lying?

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:16pm:
You didn't answer the question Gandalf. Why did you bother making the argument that truth is not a defence against accusations of lying?

Because it isn't. How many times do I have to explain this?

This doesn't actually answer the question Gandalf. Whatever your strange views about the truth being a lie, it still does not explain why you would choose to argue that the truth is a lie when you did not believe my statement to be true anyway.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 11:59pm

FD, do you uphold the use of truth in your campaign against the Muselman?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #95 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 1:31pm

freediver wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:54pm:
Have you ever made this argument about truth not being a defence against lying before, or is this the first time? And why won't you say?

Kindly desist from this inane question as I have already explained it to you many times. Simply repeating the question over and over won't compensate for the fact that you simply refuse to listen to what I say.

As I have repeated over and over a lie is a lie based on what you know at the time. Fact is, you have never heard any other muslim besides me say the statements in the wiki that you attribute to "muslims" (plural). Yet you stated as fact that multiple muslims said it, despite only coming up with a single reference for all those quotes. The proof in the pudding is that to this day, you are still unable to come up with a single muslim besides me who stated any of these things, despite your protestations that it is "bleeding obvious" and easy to show. That you continue to dodge and weave from this most reasonable request to support your claim, proves without a shred of doubt that you were dishonest in attributing those statements you only heard from me, to a collective of muslims. And we all know why you would be this dishonest - to broad brush muslims, painting them as a mindless collective. Saying "muslims [say something idiotic]" (collectively) obviously sounds far more incriminating than the truth - "I heard one muslim [say something idiotic]".

When you say you made them all up, are you saying they are all lies? Or that whether you are telling the truth is irrelevant to whether you are lying?

Sheesh you are so far off track FD, its no longer amusing. By "made them up" I merely meant I came up with the arguments off my own bat, using my own reasoning - ie I didn't  simply parrot the argument of someone else. Thats got nothing to do with whether or not they are lies. The only lies here are your assertions that you claiming to know a collective of muslims make all those arguments. You obviously don't know - ergo you are lying.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #96 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:08pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 1:31pm:
Have you ever made this argument about truth not being a defence against lying before, or is this the first time? And why won't you say?

Kindly desist from this inane question as I have already explained it to you many times. Simply repeating the question over and over won't compensate for the fact that you simply refuse to listen to what I say.

As I have repeated over and over a lie is a lie based on what you know at the time. Fact is, you have never heard any other muslim besides me say the statements in the wiki that you attribute to "muslims" (plural). Yet you stated as fact that multiple muslims said it, despite only coming up with a single reference for all those quotes. The proof in the pudding is that to this day, you are still unable to come up with a single muslim besides me who stated any of these things, despite your protestations that it is "bleeding obvious" and easy to show. That you continue to dodge and weave from this most reasonable request to support your claim, proves without a shred of doubt that you were dishonest in attributing those statements you only heard from me, to a collective of muslims. And we all know why you would be this dishonest - to broad brush muslims, painting them as a mindless collective. Saying "muslims [say something idiotic]" (collectively) obviously sounds far more incriminating than the truth - "I heard one muslim [say something idiotic]".

That does not answer the question Gandalf. Here it is again for you.

Quote:

Sheesh you are so far off track FD, its no longer amusing. By "made them up" I merely meant I came up with the arguments off my own bat, using my own reasoning - ie I didn't  simply parrot the argument of someone else. Thats got nothing to do with whether or not they are lies. The only lies here are your assertions that you claiming to know a collective of muslims make all those arguments. You obviously don't know - ergo you are lying.

Why is it that Muslims are so consistent in inventing these lies?

If you used your own reasoning, where did you get your 'own facts' from to back them up?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:01pm

A simple yes or no will suffice, G.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #98 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 3:47pm

freediver wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:08pm:
That does not answer the question Gandalf.

Yes it does. You are just being obtuse. Try for once to actually read, and preferably comprehend what I said. If anything is unclear, feel free to ask. You might also consider the worth of posting such a stupid question in the first place.

freediver wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:08pm:
f you used your own reasoning, where did you get your 'own facts' from to back them up?

From the Quran.

Any other idiotic questions to sustain your continued dodging and weaving from the actual point - ie the question of who else actually said those things in your wiki besides me, and why you won't say even though you insisted it was 'bleeding obvious' and easy to find out?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #99 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:03pm

A question, if I may.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #100 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 6:26pm

A lie is a lie based on what you believe at the time, not based on what you may or may not discover after the fact. Are you keeping up FD? Let me know if you're still struggling with this basic concept, perhaps I can say it even slower, or draw you a ven diagram. Its fair to say I've been "making that argument" for as long as I've known what a lie is. Which is a long time.

You didn't know that anyone besides me made any of those statements, therefore stating that they did was a lie. The proof that you didn't know and still don't know of anyone else saying those things is the fact you continue to duck and weave whenever I ask you to cite anyone else saying it.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #101 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 6:29pm

I think you misunderstood the question Gandalf.

Have you ever made this argument before about truth not being a defence against lying, or is this the first time? And why won't you say? Obviously I need to know, otherwise you will accuse me of lying if I get wrong the number of times you have done this.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #102 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 6:53pm

I think you are being obtuse.

You obviously think you are being clever twisting my actual argument into the idiotic sounding  argument "about truth not being a defence against lying".

So before you continue patting yourself on the back with what you clearly believe is such a winning and brilliant meme - made all the more brilliant by repeating it over and over and over, I suggest you go back and read, and importantly, comprehend what I actually said. By all means quote it back to us again. Who knows, you might even realise then that what I actually said is a statement of the bleeding obvious and common sense: that a lie is a lie based on what you believe at the time, and your intention to deceive. And it doesn't magically stop being a lie when facts that you didn't know at the time may or may not come to light after the fact. You intended to deceive FD, I guess the fact you were caught out hurts - and thats why you continue to avoid the actual, bleeding obvious point here - that you didn't, and continually don't to this very moment - do the one thing that would put this all to rest - actually back up your claim. You said a collective of muslims made those claims, yet to this day, you have only managed to cite one of them - and you do nothing but duck and weave and construct clever sounding memes whenever I challenge you on that.

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:22pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 6:53pm:

You obviously think you are being clever twisting my actual argument into the idiotic sounding  argument "about truth not being a defence against lying".

So before you continue patting yourself on the back with what you clearly believe is such a winning and brilliant meme - made all the more brilliant by repeating it over and over and over, I suggest you go back and read, and importantly, comprehend what I actually said. By all means quote it back to us again. Who knows, you might even realise then that what I actually said is a statement of the bleeding obvious and common sense: that a lie is a lie based on what you believe at the time, and your intention to deceive. And it doesn't magically stop being a lie when facts that you didn't know at the time may or may not come to light after the fact. You intended to deceive FD, I guess the fact you were caught out hurts - and thats why you continue to avoid the actual, bleeding obvious point here - that you didn't, and continually don't to this very moment - do the one thing that would put this all to rest - actually back up your claim. You said a collective of muslims made those claims, yet to this day, you have only managed to cite one of them - and you do nothing but duck and weave and construct clever sounding memes whenever I challenge you on that.

Given what YOU KNOW NOW - do Muslims deceive others about the nature of Islam? I ask because what I KNOW NOW, they do.

The Koran, and therefore Islam, is particularly devised by someone whose habit was just such lying, lying as the circumstances demanded.  Mohammed's example to Muslims throughout he ages is: sniff the political wind and adjust your sails accordingly. His favouritee under-age wife remarked on his uncanny knack to receive just-in-time revelations to suit his political aims.

Considering that the whole "Koran as the dictated eternal word of Allah " is a laughable lie, a knowing deception,  no wonder that all the people who adhere to it have lived in and by lies.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #104 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:43pm

Quote:

I think you are avoiding the question. How am I supposed to know whether to use the plural or singular when referring to how many times you have done this?

Have you ever made this argument before about truth not being a defence against lying, or is this the first time? And why won't you say? Obviously I need to know, otherwise you will accuse me of lying if I get wrong the number of times you have done this.

Quote:

Are you blaming me for your blue moon monkeys argument Gandalf? You carried on with that for quite some time remember?

Quote:
So before you continue patting yourself on the back with what you clearly believe is such a winning and brilliant meme

It's funny how a single, simple question can be turned into a meme with a bit of coughing and spluttering.

Quote:
I suggest you go back and read, and importantly, comprehend what I actually said. By all means quote it back to us again. Who knows, you might even realise then that what I actually said is a statement of the bleeding obvious and common sense: that a lie is a lie based on what you believe at the time, and your intention to deceive.

You also claimed it is a lie if you have no way of knowing whether it is true. So, tell everyone how you know what my real intentions are...

Quote:
And it doesn't magically stop being a lie when facts that you didn't know at the time may or may not come to light after the fact.

So, what you are saying is, just because you happen to be telling the truth, does not mean you are not lying? Have I got it right this time Gandalf? Are you going to tell us the blue moon monkey story again? Is that one from the Quran?

Quote:
You said a collective of muslims

You left out mindless. If you are going to get hysterical, might as well go all the way.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #105 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:00pm

Excuse me, FD, how many time/s have you upheld the use of porkies in your campaign against the Muselman?

I'm curious. Please let me know how many times I should use the letter s.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #106 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:12am

freediver wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
[quote]

I think you are avoiding the question. How am I supposed to know whether to use the plural or singular when referring to how many times you have done this?

FD, how about you go back and quote my actual words "about truth not being a defence against lying" - and lets see what this argument is actually about - in my own words, rather than your reinterpretation of it into such a clever and catchy meme. And maybe after that we can better understand how trully idiotic this line of questioning is.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #107 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:33am

It's funny how a single, simple question can be turned into a meme with a bit of coughing and spluttering.

Your entire posting history is one of memes FD. Even funnier how that came to be. Care for a bit of mindless collective of treacherous jews anyone? What do you reckon FD, how many arguments of yours have been based on this one meme? Whats even funnier is how all your memes seem to always come back to another mindless collective - of muslims. Even when you have to flat out lie about this collective - as you did here.

You also claimed it is a lie if you have no way of knowing whether it is true.

Yeah about that FD - you started out retorting that it wasn't a lie because you did know, and/or I couldn't possibly know that you didn't know. And you said it was "bleeding obvious" and easy to find out. Funny how you suddenly shut up about that as soon as I challenged you to show that you knew - and you've been ducking and weaving from that ever since. So then you morphed into some bizarre claim about 'didn't realise a plural had to mean a plural' - like saying "muslims" was just some figure of speech, that didn't necessarily mean "muslims" (plural). That is, of course while you were simultaneously demanding that I prove a negative, and while ever I can't, its somehow proof you are not lying (standard FD argument). Oh yeah, and nearly forgot - your attempts to wriggle out of your lie by telling another lie - claiming that there were indeed other muslims cited on those claims in your wiki.

As for me, all I have ever said is that it is a lie to pretend to know something you clearly don't. You clearly didn't know that a collective of muslims said the things you said they said. You didn't know then, and given your continued ducking and weaving (plus ample opportunity to find other culprits), its pretty obvious you still don't know. Ergo, you lied. Its really that simple FD. No need to spam us with classic FD obfuscation tactics that twist my words and turn the entire meaning of lying inside out.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #108 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:39am

OK this should clear things up FD:

when you stated as fact that "Muslims will make the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran"

- did you use the word "muslims" to mean
a) an actual plurality of people that you were aware of at the time (but strangely won't reveal now)?
b) an actual plurality of people that you were not aware of at the time - but assumed existed?
c) some kind of figure of speech thats not meant to be taken literally?
d) another word for "gandalf"?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 11:38am

polite_gandalf wrote on Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:39am:
OK this should clear things up FD:

when you stated as fact that "Muslims will make the absurd argument that the Quran does not use the term self-defence because it was written in Arabic, not English. That is, they will literally use the fact that self-defence is written in English to justify its absence from the Quran"

- did you use the word "muslims" to mean
a) an actual plurality of people that you were aware of at the time (but strangely won't reveal now)?
b) an actual plurality of people that you were not aware of at the time - but assumed existed?
c) some kind of figure of speech thats not meant to be taken literally?
d) another word for "gandalf"?

No no, FD's saying it's a problem with the letter s.

He's having it looked at.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print