Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Gandalf, you must choose: either.... (Read 8040 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Gandalf, you must choose: either....
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:25pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:45am:
So, you realise that the aha ditch are considered to be authoritative in the Sunni tradition. Therefore, you are picking and choosing verses in what is considered to be authoritative. You see the ‘anything goes’ approach here, don’t you?

This may come as a shock to you, but even the most avowed 'traditionalists' (as in following the traditions of the prophet - aka ahadith) cherry pick which traditions they believe and follow. Even if they are declared "sahih" (authentic) - there's actually different grades of sahih - so there's 'Sahih Bukhari', widely regarded as the most authoritative, then there's Sahih Muslim and Sahih Dawud - the latter two are generally considered less authentic than Bukhari - even though they both carry the title 'sahih'. But even beyond that, scholars will take ahadith on a case by case basis - even within the 'sahih' collection. So they will declare that this sahih Dawud is more authentic than this other sahih Dawud - based on their own inspection of the 'isnad' (chain of transmission - ie so and so told so and so who told... etc) - even though Dawud himself deemed them both sahih.

So I think you are under appreciating how trully complicated ahadith study is, and there certainly isn't the simplistic "all or nothing" approach that you are implying. From my perspective, I see the traditionalist scholars have throughout the ages been entirely cynical in their cherry picking of the ahadith. Take hudud law - barbaric practices to control society that have no Quranic basis, and even directly contradict Quranic commands. Yet they conveniently emerge just as despotic autocrats start popping up in the caliphate, with rebellion rife. And lo and behold, so too did ahadith emerge that equated obedience to rulers to obedience to God - eg:

Whosoever obeys the ruler has obeyed me and whoever obeys me had obeyed Allaah; and he who disobeys the ruler has disobeyed me and whoever disobeys me has disobeyed Allaah. (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim)

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:45am:
Second, how do you explain the glaring contradictions in the Quran, along with the change in style of speech? Surely, someone as omnipotent as God would be consistent in His speech???

No one, not even "sunni tradition" claims that the ahadith are the omnipotent word of God. Do you straight away see a glaring difference between them and the Quran? Do you reckon thats kinda significant?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:52pm

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
You choose to interpret the opposite of what the Quran actually says.

Correction: you choose to interpret the opposite of what I interpret the Quran actually says.

Are you suggesting you are the only Muslim, out of 1.5 billion, telling those particular lies? That is a rather absurd position to take isn't it Gandalf? As I recall, you refused to state whether you had personally come across any other Muslim telling those lies.

Yes FD, you used that mind-numbingly stupid defense of your lie the first time. Clearly it was too much to hope that you would have wised up.

A lie is a lie based on the facts you knew at the time you made the lie. Its an intention thing. If you didn't know that no one besides me made the claim (which you didn't), then pretending the claim is a claim made by a plurality of people, and stating that as fact, is obviously a lie. Learning after the fact that lo and behold other people made the same claim too - doesn't make the lie not a lie. Just accept the fact that you lied because you dishonestly attributed a quote you heard from me to "muslims" (plural). Even if you had said something like "one muslim claims blah blah blah, but I bet he isn't the only one" - then that would be completely different.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:13pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:26pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
So I think you are under appreciating how trully complicated ahadith study is, and there certainly isn't the simplistic "all or nothing" approach that you are implying. From my perspective, I see the traditionalist scholars have throughout the ages been entirely cynical in their cherry picking of the ahadith. Take hudud law - barbaric practices to control society that have no Quranic basis, and even directly contradict Quranic commands. Yet they conveniently emerge just as despotic autocrats start popping up in the caliphate, with rebellion rife. And lo and behold, so too did ahadith emerge that equated obedience to rulers to obedience to God - eg:

Whosoever obeys the ruler has obeyed me and whoever obeys me had obeyed Allaah; and he who disobeys the ruler has disobeyed me and whoever disobeys me has disobeyed Allaah. (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim)

So, you know that the Medinan verses of the Quran urge followers to obey the Prophet and God??? The ahadith are deemed to be sayings of the Prophet. Second, the Prophet practised polygamy, warfare and slavery, so do you think that these practices are the best example of a human being?? You cannot say that Muhammad was the best example of a human being without condoning slavery, can you? Otherwise he was wrong.

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
No one, not even "sunni tradition" claims that the ahadith are the omnipotent word of God. Do you straight away see a glaring difference between them and the Quran? Do you reckon thats kinda significant?

Sorry, let me clarify. I was talking about within the Quran solely. The early Meccan verses are written in a very poetic manner, and were short, so that they could be memorized more easily orally. In my view, these verses are more representative of God's nature (as I believe it to be). As the tradition unfolds, the verses become longer and more simple until you get long prose in the Medinan verses, which includes legislation etc.

My view is that if God is omnipotent then why would he change the way He speaks? Presumably he was talking to the same group of people?? Someone like God shouldn't need to change His voice??

The Progressive President

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:02pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:26pm:
So, you know that the Medinan verses of the Quran urge followers to obey the Prophet and God??? The ahadith are deemed to be sayings of the Prophet. Second, the Prophet practised polygamy, warfare and slavery, so do you think that these practices are the best example of a human being?? You cannot say that Muhammad was the best example of a human being without condoning slavery, can you? Otherwise he was wrong.

There's a heap of faulty logic here, but lets just focus on one glaring flaw in this paragraph: The command you are referring to in the Quran is actually a command to obey "the messenger", not "obey Muhammad" or "obey the prophet". Ordinarily you would say this is mere semantics, but it becomes significant when you read elsewhere in the Quran emphasis on Muhammad's role strictly as a deliverer of the message - not an enforcer. It literally spells this out unambiguously. Moreover, it also emphasises Muhammad is merely human, not to be elevated to anything beyond a mere human.

What does this mean? God wants us to "obey" the message of God - obviously. And this message is conveyed through "the messenger". And you can't be a messenger without a message. The command therefore is specific to the message of God (ie the Quran), not Muhammad the person.

Quote:

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:26pm:

There's a heap of faulty logic here, but lets just focus on one glaring flaw in this paragraph: The command you are referring to in the Quran is actually a command to obey "the messenger", not "obey Muhammad" or "obey the prophet". Ordinarily you would say this is mere semantics, but it becomes significant when you read elsewhere in the Quran emphasis on Muhammad's role strictly as a deliverer of the message - not an enforcer. It literally spells this out unambiguously. Moreover, it also emphasises Muhammad is merely human, not to be elevated to anything beyond a mere human.

What does this mean? God wants us to "obey" the message of God - obviously. And this message is conveyed through "the messenger". And you can't be a messenger without a message. The command therefore is specific to the message of God (ie the Quran), not Muhammad the person.

You are half-right, half-wrong.

In the early verses of the Quran, Muhammad is referred to as a Warner. "Thou art but a Warner..." i.e. he is there to deliver the message of God to people. Initially he was a deliverer, as you say, but then he BECAME an enforcer in Medina. In fact, if you read it chronologically, the evolution is very clear: Muhammad was but a Warner but then he became a Prophet.

So, whilst you are correct and your interpretation would suffice, unfortunately his role evolved beyond a Warner to Prophet and Leader. It's interesting how the language and terminology changes significantly over time as the revelations come. And there is where my issue with it it: the tradition (as in every religion) evolves to meet the needs to the community over time. In this sense, Islam was seen as a progressive religion. Problem is that once Muhammad died, whatever progress had been hitherto was frozen in time.

I suggest you read the Quran in revelation order. There's a chronology developed by Theodor Noldeke, a German orientalism who orders the Quran according to the order in which it was revealed. Leileh Bakhtier also released a Quran in Revelation Order. When you read the Quran in this order, and divide each surah according to Meccan and Medinan verses, you clearly see how the Islamic tradition evolved from a spiritual monotheistic creed to a socio-political doctrine.

Now, my person argument is that the Quran is actually much shorter than the actual Quran. Initially the word Quran wasn't used. I can't remember where exactly, but the first mention of the Quran is quite early on in the revelation. Maybe those few surahs are the 'True' Quran, with everything else being aHadith or commentaries on the Quran. It's clear that the later verses were the product of human design.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:14pm

Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
When you read the Quran in this order, and divide each surah according to Meccan and Medinan verses, you clearly see how the Islamic tradition evolved from a spiritual monotheistic creed to a socio-political doctrine.

I am familiar with the chronological order of surahs, and it is not as simple as you portray it - even though that is a popular misconception. Chapter 2 for example is full of spiritual contemplation. Besides, some of the socio-political doctrine is the opposite of what the critics claim it is - like no compulsion in religion, and Allah guides those who believe to the path of peace - both Medinan verses.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:22pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
You choose to interpret the opposite of what the Quran actually says.

Correction: you choose to interpret the opposite of what I interpret the Quran actually says.

Are you suggesting you are the only Muslim, out of 1.5 billion, telling those particular lies? That is a rather absurd position to take isn't it Gandalf? As I recall, you refused to state whether you had personally come across any other Muslim telling those lies.

Yes FD, you used that mind-numbingly stupid defense of your lie the first time. Clearly it was too much to hope that you would have wised up.

A lie is a lie based on the facts you knew at the time you made the lie. Its an intention thing. If you didn't know that no one besides me made the claim (which you didn't), then pretending the claim is a claim made by a plurality of people, and stating that as fact, is obviously a lie. Learning after the fact that lo and behold other people made the same claim too - doesn't make the lie not a lie. Just accept the fact that you lied because you dishonestly attributed a quote you heard from me to "muslims" (plural). Even if you had said something like "one muslim claims blah blah blah, but I bet he isn't the only one" - then that would be completely different.

So I am lying because you are ignorant of what I knew at the time? Or because I did not make a patently stupid assumption?

Are you actually arguing that I told a lie that just happened to be true?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:45pm

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
So I am lying because you are ignorant of what I knew at the time?

LOL FD lying to cover up his lies.

You even asked me whether or not anyone else had said it. Now you are saying you knew all along that others had said it?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:19pm

Are you arguing that I told a lie that just happened to be true?

Is whether or not the statement is true at all relevant to whether it is a lie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:36pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:36am:
freediver wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:24pm:

Gandalf reject bits of both the Quran and Hadith. He does this by insisting they mean the opposite of what they say.

Not quite. I accept the Quran in its entirety in the way I choose to interpret it.

Good for you Gandalf.

Gandalf,

How do you choose to interpret these two Koran verses ?

------ >

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. "
Koran 9.29

QUESTION;
Does the inflection of the meaning of the words contained in Koran 9.29, really call on moslems to fight those       who believe not       in Allah ?

Or do the words of Koran 9.29 really have another meaning, altogether ?

"There is for you an excellent example (to follow) in Abraham and those with him, when they said to their people: "We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: we have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever,- unless ye believe in Allah and Him alone"....."
Koran 60:4

QUESTION;
Does the meaning of the contents of Koran 60:4, support [i.e. confirm] the meaning of the contents of Koran 9.29 ?

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:47pm

Gandalf is no different then any other religious person picking and choosing what they believe.

Religion is like a cafeteria. You pick and choose what you want and ignore what you don’t.

He is no different then any other religious person here.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:48am

Raven wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:47pm:
Gandalf is no different then any other religious person picking and choosing what they believe.

Religion is like a cafeteria. You pick and choose what you want and ignore what you don’t.

Unfortunately... Cry

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 5:40am

Raven wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:47pm:

But you've got to admit he's got style and charisma, and always presents himself as the sort of imam our mosques should be stocked with.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:28am

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:19pm:
Are you arguing that I told a lie that just happened to be true?

Is whether or not the statement is true at all relevant to whether it is a lie?

A lie hinges on your knowledge of the facts at the time FD, and what claims you make about that knowledge. If you claim you know something that you don't - then thats a lie.

You clearly didn't know anyone else but me had made those statements, yet you stated as fact that other people had said it.

By your logic, if I stated that I knew for a fact there are green monkeys on the dark side of them moon - only to discover after the fact that lo and behold there are green monkeys there - I wasn't lying. Even though I dishonestly claimed I knew something that I didn't.

Thats exactly what you did FD - dishonestly claimed you knew something that you didn't. Ergo, a lie.

Quote:

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #29 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 11:19am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:14pm:
Auggie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
When you read the Quran in this order, and divide each surah according to Meccan and Medinan verses, you clearly see how the Islamic tradition evolved from a spiritual monotheistic creed to a socio-political doctrine.

I am familiar with the chronological order of surahs, and it is not as simple as you portray it - even though that is a popular misconception. Chapter 2 for example is full of spiritual contemplation. Besides, some of the socio-political doctrine is the opposite of what the critics claim it is - like no compulsion in religion, and Allah guides those who believe to the path of peace - both Medinan verses.

Chapter 2 is full of spiritual contemplation, but it's also full of violence. It's the first revelation of Muhammad AFTER the migration to Medina. Chapter 9 and chapter 5 which are the latest surahs are more belligerent than surah 2 and therefore override surah 2 in importance.

I don't buy the fact that the entire Surah 9 is addressed to those with whom a treaty has been made. The initial verse deal with this but then it becomes universal. In fact the name of Surah 9 has nothing to do with treaties. Don't forget that the Quran consists of statements not related to each other.

Next argument

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print