Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Shorten the big plunge begins - NewsPol (Read 13085 times)
red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Shorten the big plunge begins - NewsPol
Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:27am

The Turnbull government has seized on a poll showing almost half of all voters would prefer someone other than Bill Shorten to lead the Labor Party.

"This is going to be a very bleak year for Bill Shorten - unfortunately the public have found him out," cabinet minister Christopher Pyne told ABC radio on Monday.

Mr Pyne was responding to the first Newspoll of the year showing Tanya Plibersek (25 per cent) is the preferred Labor leader among all voters closely followed by Anthony Albanese (24 per cent) with Mr Shorten on 22 per cent.

Among Labor voters, Mr Shorten was a clear choice with 37 per cent backing him over Ms Plibersek (27 per cent) and Mr Albanese (23 per cent).

Senior Labor frontbencher Tony Burke believes Mr Shorten will lead Labor to the next election.

"We don't want to go back to the days, which the Liberal Party are still in, of constant leadership change and speculation," he said.

His colleague Stephen Jones saw a silver lining in the preferred leader results: "Isn't it good to be a member of a party where we've got such a talented frontbench that everybody's looking at it and saying, 'Geez, you're all doing an outstanding job, there's so many of you who are popular within the electorate'."

And health spokeswoman Catherine King - who joined Mr Shorten at the weekend to announce Labor's new policy to limit private health insurance price hikes - denied the leader was having trouble getting his message through to voters.

"We've got a long way to go before this year is out and the election is out," she told reporters in Canberra.

The Newspoll also showed Malcolm Turnbull stretch his lead over Mr Shorten, 45-31 per cent, as preferred prime minister.

*** How long will it be before Labor 'gets it'.. Shorten cannot win the next election. Anthony Albanese would give it a red hot go and if Labor don't replace Shorten immediately, they might as well consign themselves to another term on the Opposition benches

Frankly - Shorten smells like limburger cheese...Red Baron

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Shorten the big plunge begins - NewsPol
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:38am

Don't get your hopes up. The Coalition haven't been ahead in a single Newspoll for nearly two years and that's not likely to end any time soon.

All that push polling on party leadership shows is that Labor have three people who can realistically lead them to an election win, the Coalition have nobody. Turnbull's the preferred Liberal leader, and what's that bought them? 26 bad Newspolls in a row, and ahead in about 3 opinion polls from all pollsters in the last 100. If you want to see leadership troubles, wait until after the next election and Turnbull's inevitable resignation as leader after the Coalition loses, and the Libs go through their usual 3 or 4 leaders in the first term of Opposition.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:58am

You think Bam?

I have always held the view that Bill Shorten is a One Trick  Pony

He has been discovered for what he is...a lightweight ex Union Boss who is way out of his depth when it comes to ability

His performance in Parliament has been underwhelming, along with is inability to sell what Labor is promoting

Frankly I don't know what the hell Labor's BIG PLAN for Australia is..Don't think they have one

Shorten just continues to react to so called Liberal stumbles

It's going to take a lot more than that for Australia to vote Labor in

Australians have big memories and the last Labor Government was a rout and a shambles

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 12:30pm

red baron wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:58am:
Frankly I don't know what the hell Labor's BIG PLAN for Australia is..Don't think they have one

You must have missed Shorten's speech at the Press Club last week. How could you not know that he's planning to introduce an anti-corruption commission or that he's putting the private health industry on notice for charging too much?

Australia cannot afford another term of the Coalition and their crony corruption. We need a change of government and we need it now.

Don't underestimate Shorten. I would rather have a leader that gets things done in office than a charismatic do-nothing weakling like Turnbull.

Who played a prominent leadership role when rescuing mine workers from a mine collapse in Tasmania in 2006? Shorten. Where was the Howard government at that time? Nowhere to be seen.

What did Turnbull do? He drove HIH into the ground and sent millions of dollars offshore into tax havens. Is that really someone you want leading this country? I don't.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Don't get your hopes up. The Coalition haven't been ahead in a single Newspoll for nearly two years and that's not likely to end any time soon.

All that push polling on party leadership shows is that Labor have three people who can realistically lead them to an election win, the Coalition have nobody. Turnbull's the preferred Liberal leader, and what's that bought them? 26 bad Newspolls in a row, and ahead in about 3 opinion polls from all pollsters in the last 100. If you want to see leadership troubles, wait until after the next election and Turnbull's inevitable resignation as leader after the Coalition loses, and the Libs go through their usual 3 or 4 leaders in the first term of Opposition.

The Govt is on the nose and Labor is only a smidge ahead in the pols and Shorty is  behind in preferred PM.

What does that tell you?

IBI

IP Logged

Roger Walker

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 1:07pm

There is only one Poll that counts ...

Nobody cares about who is "in Parliament" until they have to vote ...

People are more interested in what their neighbours are doing.  Wink

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm

There's a long way to go before Shorten and the ALP is not a threat at the next election.
Preferred PM does not have much bearing on that outcome BTW.

Hell I might even vote for them.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:14pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
There's a long way to go before Shorten and the ALP is not a threat at the next election.

The thing is, Labor should be romping it in with the polls right now and it's so obvious Shorten is disliked.

Labor will probably win the election with or without him but the problem is, 5 minutes after the very short honeymoon is over (and they're getting shorter and shorter these days) and they'll be looking to knife him.

IBI

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:22pm

Only 1 electorate votes for Shorten
If he loses he's out they vote in a new leader probably Albanese... 

But, I don't think he's so unpopular in his electorate.

Howard was disliked...  yet won... Roll Eyes

I don't like Shorten and his dishonesty...  yet the ALP is full of that these days.

Then so too are the Libs...
Turnbull undermined Abbott and had him defeated in a spill...  Turnbull is unlikely to get a turnaround before he beats Abbott's record in bad polls.
Turnbull is a Wet, a progressive and is unpopular with much of his Conservative base.

If the ALP have good policies I'll vote for them.
I'll vote for whoever I think has the best policies for Australia and Australians.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:22pm:

I don't like Shorten and his dishonesty...  yet the ALP is full of that these days.

Turnbull undermined Abbott and had him defeated in a spill...  Turnbull is unlikely to get a turnaround before he beats Abbott's record in bad polls.
Turnbull is a Wet, a progressive and is unpopular with much of his Conservative base.

I'll vote for whoever I think has the best policies for Australia and Australians.

I think the public can see right thru Shorten. His moral compass is set by licking his finger and holding it in the wind.

Here's my prediction, he'll win the election and after 18 months the polls will be dire and he'll get knifed.

Howard was unliked but he won because it was cyclically time for Labor to get booted

IBI

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:35pm

After Bennelong expressed their revulsion and abhorrence for the lying little union puppet Bull S. and his dredged up Eddie Obeid's girl Bull S.'s slide downhill has been accelerating as he is now seen as a toxic pariah and stinks to hi Heavens all over Australia.

His "speech" to the press club was just piling lies on bulldust. Standard crap from Bull S. who couldn't lie straight in bed.

If Labor loses Batman to the abhorrent Greenies this will be a further nail in the coffin.

Mal of course is delighted but he knows he must be careful in case the corrupt unions kick Bull S. out and so Mal is carefully orchestrating NewsPoll to keep giving completely ridiculous "boosts" to Bull S..

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:46pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm:

I think the public can see right thru Shorten. His moral compass is set by licking his finger and holding it in the wind.

Here's my prediction, he'll win the election and after 18 months the polls will be dire and he'll get knifed.

Howard was unliked but he won because it was cyclically time for Labor to get booted

It is cyclically time for the Coalition to get booted. They have been in government for 14 of the last 22 years, no good case can be made for their re-election and their time is clearly done. We simply cannot afford another three years of Coalition government. Costs are rising too much and dumb Coalition laws are forcing wages down too low.

Shorten could well turn out to be like Howard - a decent leader who comes into his own as PM. They're more alike than some would care to admit.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:48pm

So the libs are ahead in the polls juliar and dickhead?

MMmmm  ?

No .....They are still behind ?

FFS I thought they were shoe ins!

Dreamers it seems!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Labor were already booted...

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:14pm:
Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm:

The thing is, Labor should be romping it in with the polls right now and it's so obvious Shorten is disliked.

Labor will probably win the election with or without him but the problem is, 5 minutes after the very short honeymoon is over (and they're getting shorter and shorter these days) and they'll be looking to knife him.

That is wishful thinking. Abbott had virtually no honeymoon at all because he was simply a bad leader. Turnbull managed to keep his going for just long enough to eke out a 1-seat majority at the election, but after the election he was losing Newspolls within weeks. Gillard didn't enjoy much of one either because she knifed Rudd.

Shorten cannot possibly be as bad as the Coalition is right now. He will have some kind of honeymoon if he wins. It all depends what he does in the first 100 days.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:55pm

Reddy shows why he is just smiled at and dismissed as of no count. Another attention seeker or just likes to express his inner HATE ?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:55pm

Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:46pm:

It is cyclically time for the Coalition to get booted. They have been in government for 14 of the last 22 years, no good case can be made for their re-election and their time is clearly done. We simply cannot afford another three years of Coalition government. Costs are rising too much and dumb Coalition laws are forcing wages down too low.

Shorten could well turn out to be like Howard - a decent leader who comes into his own as PM. They're more alike than some would care to admit.

Just what "dumb Coalition laws" are forcing wages down too low?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:03pm

There is no doubt now that the tide is turning and the writing is on the wall,
Malcolm to win the election

Especially after the union puppet Bull S. repelled the Bennelong voters with his pathological lying and dredging up Eddie Obeid's girl and now that God has guided Mal's new Senator away from the DARK SIDE.

It looks like a downhill run for Mal to the election now. Australia likes Mal's Trumpism which is making Australia grow like crazy.

At this rate Mal will be able to go easy on Newspoll and steadily let them reveal the true results Lib 70% Labor 30%.

It is enough to drive a Lefty to drink!!!

Coalition trails Labor but PM jumps ahead
AAP FEBRUARY 5, 2018 12:08AM

THE Coalition is still behind Labor on a two-party preferred poll, but Malcolm Turnbull is now well ahead as the country’s preferred leader.

THE Coalition is still trailing Labor on a two-party preferred poll, but Malcolm Turnbull has stretched his leader as the country’s preferred leader.

The latest Newspoll published in The Australian reveals the Prime Minister now leads Labor’s Bill Shorten as preferred leader 45 to 31.

PM Mal and union puppet Bull S. in his daggy baggy blue soot.

The Coalition also received its best two-party preferred result since April last year, trailing Labor 48 to 52.

The Coalition’s primary vote is on 38 per cent while Labor’s primary vote remains unchanged at 37 per cent and the Greens on 10 per cent.

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/coalition-trails-labor-but-pm-jumps-ahe...

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:06pm

It is amusing to watch the distraught despairing Lefties trying to defend the defenseless, the union puppet Bull S., the old burnt out union brown noser.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:14pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:09pm

juliar

BS Shorten really needs to see a tailor or do something about those man boobs and waistline, his cheap off the rack suit looks very Vinnies in style. Looks like the kind of suit I bought for country B and S balls as I knew I was going to do mud wrestling and would be on the back of a ute doing doughnuts.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:12pm

RSF,

that is just Bull S.'s "working man" image.

Might be wrong but I think Bull S. paid about $30,000.00 for that crumpled daggy baggy blue soot from some Italian tailor joint.

Bull S. and the Labor Party are like a fish rotting from the head down.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:24pm

juliar wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:06pm:
It is amusing to watch the distraught despairing Lefties trying to defend the defenseless the union puppet Bull S. the old burnt out union brown noser.

I think its a bit early but there has been a small trend up on primary, over 42% LNP the ALP will be struggling, 2013 it was 45.6% need to see the next few months I am sensing the electorate is felling more comfortable with Turnbull as much as I don't like him. The primary bottomed out at 34% but is back at 38% ish .... over a few months not good news for the ALP.
The ALP is down slightly within margin of error from the newspoll it looks like the LNP increase is coming from One Nation.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:48pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:46pm:

Just what "dumb Coalition laws" are forcing wages down too low?

Squeezing the poor too hard with an all-out assault on social security. Foreign work visas handed out like toilet paper. Free trade agreements that allow foreigners to take Australian jobs. All contributing to keeping the population living in fear of asking for the pay rise they deserve.

Labor's contribution was being too gutless (or too weak) to repeal the anti-strike and anti-union nonsense of Workchoices so this ended up in the Fair Work Act.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:10pm

So either they don't have those dumb laws as you stated or they were bi-partisan then?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:12pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:10pm:
So either they don't have those dumb laws as you stated or they were bi-partisan then?

I think Sir Booby might be bi-partisan.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:13pm

The Coalition are certainly not encouraging companies to give out pay rises by repealing unreasonable constraints on workers.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #26 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:17pm

Shorten is an excellent leader, when he is up in North Queensland he is very pro-mining and when he is in inner city melbourne he is very anti-mining.

What more could a country ask for in a leader

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:19pm

Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:13pm:

The Coalition are certainly not encouraging companies to give out pay rises by repealing unreasonable constraints on workers.

Neither are Labor
and today Shorten was being disingenuous about percentages and wages...

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #28 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:03pm

juliar wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 5:12pm:
RSF,

that is just Bull S.'s "working man" image.

Might be wrong but I think Bull S. paid about $30,000.00 for that crumpled daggy baggy blue soot from some Italian tailor joint.

Bull S. and the Labor Party are like a fish rotting from the head down.

The tailor must have been blind.
He could have went to Vinnies to get a better looking suit.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #29 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:04pm

BigOl64 wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:17pm:
Shorten is an excellent leader, when he is up in North Queensland he is very pro-mining and when he is in inner city melbourne he is very anti-mining.

What more could a country ask for in a leader

That is typical behaviour you see from Islamic leaders

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:06pm

He is very much like Rudd and Turnbull in that regard, and also Gillard to a slightly lesser extent.

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:10pm

Labor still I repeat still in front , the only time libs narrow the gap is when nobody hears from them , like they didn't over Xmas  Grin

Parliament back today so more ballsups incompetence and corruption from team libtard for the entire country to see.

Labor to absolutely romp it in , still

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:24pm

Its time wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:10pm:
Labor still I repeat still in front , the only time libs narrow the gap is when nobody hears from them , like they didn't over Xmas  Grin

Parliament back today so more ballsups incompetence and corruption from team libtard for the entire country to see.

Labor to absolutely romp it in , still

Problem is the election is not being held now and what is worse polls tend to get closer when the election is called but lets not have common sense infect your dribble. ALP needs to both change direction and leader. They should have dumped Shorten after he lost the election for the ALP he is an anchor on the ALP. Albo would have been a better choice.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:39pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:19pm:

Neither are Labor

Labor are not in government.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #34 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:46pm

Mal and the Coalition get a sugar hit over Christmas because they were mostly unseen and did nothing which would make the public cringe.....The lost lockers and do nothing Turnbull will soon blow any good will the public has towards them....Maybe Mal should have stayed on holiday???

Wink Wink Wink

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:04pm

The Libs and Labs are past their use-by date

Watching Stan Grant tonight and poor old Stan was trying to stave off what one of his interviewees was saying ...

"Because of the increasing move away from the major parties at elections, the biggest these days as just after WW2, the major parties need to seismically change themselves to win back "popularist" voters"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #36 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:22pm

Back on planet reality its 52 48 and Mals 26th lost newspoll  Smiley

Suck it up rtards , it's over

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:38am

Its time wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 10:22pm:

That lead is narrowing bit by bit. It's okay to be nervous about your predictions. You'll be fine under the continued leadership of the Coalition.  Smiley

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #38 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:00am

Armchair_Politician wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:38am:

That lead is narrowing bit by bit. It's okay to be nervous about your predictions. You'll be fine under the continued leadership of the Coalition.  Smiley

52 48 winners are grinners  Smiley

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:39am

The lead has narrowed from annihilation to a landslide. 26 Newspolls in a row don't portend a Coalition election win. You'll be fine under a decade and a half of Labor government.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #40 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:47am

Don't confuse the the little rodent, polls are not absolutes but do display trends, if the current trend keeps repeating the ALP has to do something even at 48-52 that is getting close to margin of error and heading the wrong way for the ALP, but lets see if this trend continues

Given I am no fan of Turnbull I am more that happy to see the ALP govern and once again prove this mob is unfit to govern.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #41 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:48am

Bam wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:39am:

The lead has narrowed from annihilation to a landslide. 26 Newspolls in a row don't portend a Coalition election win. You'll be fine under a decade and a half of Labor government.

And you think the trend will stop ?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:51am

Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 8:39pm:

Neither are Labor

Labor are not in government

Really, then everything the Coalition want to do gets straight through the Upper and Lower house do they.

Come on Bam face reality.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #43 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:06am

Lack of wage growth will destroy Malcolm!

Trickle-down economics is a fallacy!

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #44 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:20am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:47am:

Don't confuse the the little rodent, polls are not absolutes but do display trends, if the current trend keeps repeating the ALP has to do something even at 48-52 that is getting close to margin of error and heading the wrong way for the ALP, but lets see if this trend continues

Given I am no fan of Turnbull I am more that happy to see the ALP govern and once again prove this mob is unfit to govern.

The ALP will absolutely romp it in next election , sick it up rtard it's going to a very very very very long time in opposition  Smiley

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #45 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:06am

Its time wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:20am:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:47am:

The ALP will absolutely romp it in next election , sick it up rtard it's going to a very very very very long time in opposition  Smiley

I see your consulting your faries at the bottom of the garden Smiley

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:13am

For those old enough to remember.

Shorten reminds me of Calwell, and Hayden.

They all lack that bit extra zing which our gullible electors seem to crave.

Evidence,,,,, Rudd all poster, no substance yet got elected.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:42pm

Neither are Labor

Labor are not in government.

But they do hope to be one day.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:16pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:51am:

Neither are Labor

Really, then everything the Coalition want to do gets straight through the Upper and Lower house do they.

Really? Labor can pass legislation through both houses when they are not in government?

Come on, Grendel. Face reality. Why are you not able to bring yourself to assign blame to the Coalition government? They set the legislative agenda in the lower house. Why can't they be blamed?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:21pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:48am:

And you think the trend will continue? And for long enough to deliver the Coalition an election win?

There are too many things wrong with the country. A stuffed NBN, workers not getting pay rises, rising cost of living, kids forced to work as slaves, killing off the car manufacturing industry, Medicare rebates frozen. Some of these are problems caused directly by Coalition policies. Others are things the Coalition refuse to fix. If you think a bruised and angry voting public are going to give this circus of clowns another term, you've got rocks in your head.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #50 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:53pm

Bam wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:48am:

And you think the trend will continue? And for long enough to deliver the Coalition an election win?

There are too many things wrong with the country. A stuffed NBN, workers not getting pay rises, rising cost of living, kids forced to work as slaves, killing off the car manufacturing industry, Medicare rebates frozen. Some of these are problems caused directly by Coalition policies. Others are things the Coalition refuse to fix. If you think a bruised and angry voting public are going to give this circus of clowns another term, you've got rocks in your head.

ALP will win, but watch how quickly the public turn on booby boi.

IBI

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #51 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:57pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
ALP will win, but watch how quickly the public turn on booby boi.

I seem to recall Howhard was regarded as a dudd when first elected but lasted over 10 years.

So dont count your chickens just yet!

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:44pm

Bam wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:16pm:

Neither are Labor

Really? Labor can pass legislation through both houses when they are not in government?

Come on, Grendel. Face reality. Why are you not able to bring yourself to assign blame to the Coalition government? They set the legislative agenda in the lower house. Why can't they be blamed?

Oh dear more deflection.
wassup don't like holes poked in your thought bubbles?
No?
Then stop being so biased you cant think straight.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #53 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:59pm

Make no mistake Bill Shorten is no working class hero like Bob Hawke was

To say that he has a 'dusty' track record as a Union Boss is putting it mildly

There is a history of sweetheart deals with big business to stop the likelihood of strikes with Bill Shorten's signature to deal and the deals meant big money into the Union's coffers

And this is the man who would be King...give me a break

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #54 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:10pm

ABC News 3 Sept 2015
There are two central allegations against Shorten.

While he was its national secretary, the Australian Workers Union negotiated a number of workplace deals for its members with major employers, at the same time accepting large payments from those employers for various ostensible purposes.

Separately, after Shorten went into politics, a labour hire company paid most of the salary of his campaign director in the 2007 election campaign, a fact which Shorten failed to declare to the AEC until days before his appearance at the Commission.

Do these stack up as "union rorts, rackets and rip-offs" to match the Prime Minister's current three word slogan? No, there's nothing criminal here, no fraud or theft or extortion. There is, however, a strange set of ethics at play, which is worth a closer look.

A lawyer's response to a layman's test

Dyson Heydon gave a superb judgment from the perspective of a scrupulous jurist, but he did a lousy job putting himself in the shoes of the man on the street, writes Paul Karp.

The AEC non-disclosure barely justifies a raised eyebrow let alone a royal commission. All political parties are guilty of disclosure failures, and the fact that a company was providing a benefit to a politician in the presumed hope that he'd think kindly of it if and when he ever achieved power is hardly exceptional. It's entirely whiffy, but no more than a million other examples of money chasing patronage in Australian politics. That's the system we've built.

What went on while Shorten was running the AWU is rather more interesting. It's exemplified by a deal the union struck in 2005 with Thiess John Holland, which was building the EastLink tollway in Melbourne.

Shorten negotiated a workplace agreement which saved the company millions and accelerated the project. In a side deal, Thiess agreed to pay the AWU $100,000 a year for three years. The union issued invoices for this money, for advertising, training and events including a union ball.

There is a question over to what extent if at all these services were actually provided, which Shorten furiously denied in the Commission, but that isn't actually the point. Assume Thiess did pay $300,000 for things it didn't need, or assume it just handed the cash over and got nothing in return. Same result either way. The critical point is that the AWU's members were not told about nor asked to approve this side deal.

Similarly, glass maker ACI paid $500,000 to the AWU over three years while negotiating an enterprise agreement with Shorten. This was ostensibly in return for "professional fees" and "training", whatever that may have been. Again, the workers were not troubled with the knowledge of this side deal.

Another interesting case was that of building company Winslow, which paid the AWU dues of its employees for many years under a deal struck by Shorten.

Shorten has been on the front foot in and out of the witness box defending the propriety of these deals and rejecting any suggestion of a conflict of interest. In relation to Winslow, he said that "if the choice came down between someone being in the union and if their employer wanted to pay it as opposed to no one being in the union ... then I have no problem with that." On doing sweet deals with employers, his defence is that they were favourable to AWU members.

When everyone's a winner how can there be a conflict of interest?

Well, I'll call it. Win-win is not the test of propriety for people who are placed in positions of absolute trust.

Union executives are analogous to company directors or trustees of super funds; they have been entrusted with the power to make decisions in the interests of others. Directors and trustees are burdened by the law with fiduciary duties, which are absolute duties to act in the best interests of those whose interests they are tasked with protecting, to not prefer their own interests in any circumstances, and to not ever place themselves in a position where their duties conflict with those interests.

Whether trade union leaders are also fiduciaries is a nice legal question; I have no doubt they should be. Their job - their only job - is to advance and protect the interests of their members. The sole reason unions exist is the reality that, otherwise, vulnerable workers with no individual bargaining power are prone to exploitation. The 7-Eleven scandal amply illustrates that (and they have a union! Evidently a useless one.)

What legitimate interest does a union have in soliciting money from employers with whom it is negotiating on its members' behalf? Its real interest, no doubt, is in funding its own operations and perhaps pursuing broader political purposes. The money comes in very handy, I'm sure.

If a union is negotiating a deal for its members and, on the side, is also secretly negotiating to be paid money by the employer, then the union has a conflict of interest. The conflict lies between its interest in receiving the money and the explicit or implicit obligations it undertakes in return (please let's not pretend that there are ever no strings attached), and the interests of its members. Yes, it may well be a win-win and everybody's happy. But conflicts, by their nature, corrupt; if the employer was saying or hinting that, if the union pushed just a little less hard or promised industrial peace, a cash bonanza may be coming its way, then how could the workers ever be confident that their specific interests (as opposed to

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:18pm

juliar wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:35pm:
After Bennelong expressed their revulsion and abhorrence for the lying little union puppet Bull S. and his dredged up Eddie Obeid's girl Bull S.'s slide downhill has been accelerating as he is now seen as a toxic pariah and stinks to hi Heavens all over Australia.

His "speech" to the press club was just piling lies on bulldust. Standard crap from Bull S. who couldn't lie straight in bed.

If Labor loses Batman to the abhorrent Greenies this will be a further nail in the coffin.

Mal of course is delighted but he knows he must be careful in case the corrupt unions kick Bull S. out and so Mal is carefully orchestrating NewsPoll to keep giving completely ridiculous "boosts" to Bull S..

bullshittens polls always drops when he opens his lying mouth...

if he shuts up.. the polls go up a bit... if he starts talking on the Telle etc which his snarling whiny face... the polls drop again..

and he'll have to do a lot of talking come election time... watch the polls drop then...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #56 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:25pm

When its crunch time..at election time Shorten's popularity will drop like a stone

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:01pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:44pm:
Bam wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:16pm:

Neither are Labor

Oh dear more deflection.
wassup don't like holes poked in your thought bubbles?
No?
Then stop being so biased you cant think straight.

Do you even know how the Australian Parliament even works? The roles and relative power of the Government and Opposition?

Your concrete-headed refusal to discuss the government's role in setting its own legislation agenda means you are displaying far more bias on this point than I am. Grow up.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:08pm

red baron wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:25pm:
When its crunch time..at election time Shorten's popularity will drop like a stone

It could well happen. Who knows? But it could turn out to be wishful thinking, especially if Shorten takes a clear legislative program to the election, wins the election, and then sets out doing what he said he would do. Leaders who do that do not tend to have popularity dropping like a stone.

Contrast that to Turnbull, who has a very weak position and has proven to be a huge disappointment. On Turnbull, Keating put it best in 2007: "He's a bit like a big red bunger on cracker night, you light him up, there's a bit of a fizz but then nothing, nothing."

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #59 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:09pm

One news poll does not a trend make....26 negative news polls in a row shows a trend and it is not good for the Coalition!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #60 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:15pm

red baron wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:25pm:

Don't underestimate Turnbull's ability to stuff things up with the vultures circling....Remember Godwin Gretch and utegate....Turnbull is one stuff up and 4 news polls away from imploding???

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:15pm

red baron wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
ABC News 3 Sept 2015
There are two central allegations against Shorten.

Old allegations that have been disproven.

If you're going to rehash old news stories to make a point:

Malcolm Turnbull fronts HIH Royal Commission
PM 14 May, 2002
Quote:
Reporter: Rachel Mealey
ELEANOR HALL: One of the reasons for skyrocketing premiums is the squeeze in the insurance industry following the collapse of the insurer HIH last year - the biggest corporate failure in Australian history.

Today at the Royal Commission into that collapse, the Liberal Party's Federal Treasurer Malcolm Turnbull revealed that he was aware that a non-executive director of FAI Insurance bought shares in that company just days before its takeover by HIH.

Malcolm Turnbull, in his role then as the managing director of the investment bank Goldman Sachs, acted as an adviser to FAI Insurance during 1998 but today he's denied the suggestion, made at the Commission, that he gave that advice under a shroud of secrecy.

Malcolm Turnbull says his advice was in fact so freely available to the company's directors that it may have been used for personal financial gain by a member of the board.

Rachel Mealey has been at the Commission in Sydney for PM.

RACHEL MEALEY: Even on the witness stand, Malcolm Turnbull is in high demand. n the afternoon before the federal budget, one would imagine that the federal treasurer of the liberal party would be a man in high demand.

MALCOLM TURNBULL: He asked me how I was getting in the work I was doing with the... [mobile phone rings] hang on... I think I'm committing an offence here... hang on. I beg your honour's pardon, I thought that was off.

JUDGE: It's a war I'm never going to win.

MALCOLM TURNBULL: No? [Laughs]

RACHEL MEALEY: It was one of the only occasions during the nearly six hours of questioning that Malcolm Turnbull broke into a smile.

For the rest of the day, his demeanour reflected the seriousness of the subject matter he was addressing.

The Royal Commission is concentrating its attention on the 300 million dollar takeover of FAI by HIH in September 1998.

The legal counsel assisting the Commission have questioned the role that the investment bank played and the advice it gave to FAI, its board and the chief executive, Rodney Adler.

One of the those questions is how fully the non-executive directors of the board were kept informed about the bank's dealings with FAI.

From December 1997 Goldman Sachs worked with Rodney Adler in putting together a privatisation bid for the company. When that idea was dropped in September 1998, Goldman Sachs was asked to become an adviser on the HIH takeover bid.

Malcolm Turnbull has argued from the outset, that his advice was always given in an open forum and, as he understood it, with the consent of the board.

This afternoon he said that Geoff Hill was one director of the company who he knew had full knowledge about the privatisation proposal.

MALCOLM TURNBULL: He asked me how we were getting on in our work with Rodney. I don't recall whether he, whether the word privatisation or take private was used but he gave, I was left with the very distinct impression that he knew we had been, he knew the nature of the project, the sort of co-investment if you like, project that we had been working on.

RACHEL MEALEY: Malcolm Turnbull couldn't place that conversation in time, but said he thought about it later because he became aware that Geoff Hill had bought a parcel of shares in the company.

MALCOLM TURNBULL: In early October, when we were preparing the Part B – when I say we, when FAI and Mr Landerer's law firm and Goldman Sachs were all collaborating on the Part B – questionnaires were sent out to directors and a questionnaire came back which showed that Mr Hill had bought 100,000 shares on the 15th of September, which was, of course, eight days before the takeover offer.

RACHEL MEALEY: He told the Commission that the news of Mr Hill's share purchase concerned him greatly.

MALCOLM TURNBULL: I was concerned that perhaps I had said something to him, which, the implications are obvious. I mean, I... I was concerned that an acquisition of shares by a director so close to a takeover bid would result in a query from ASIC [Australian Securities and Investments Commission] or... and that clearly could be embarrassing to FAI and the takeover process.

RACHEL MEALEY: Today was Malcolm Turnbull's third appearance before the Royal Commission. He'll return to the witness stand again tomorrow where he'll be cross-examined by lawyers representing the non-executive directors of FAI.

The non-executive director Mr Turnbull referred to, Geoff Hill, is on the witness list and is scheduled to appear in the week ahead.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #62 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:23pm

As the old saying goes

"One swallow doesn't make a summer!"

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:26pm

Labor haven't realised yet that they'd blitz the election if they got rid of that spineless pussy Shorten. He's keeping Turdball in the race.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:27pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:23pm:
As the old saying goes

It does however make for a happy ending.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #65 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:36pm

lee wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:27pm:
As the old saying goes

Good luck with that!

How many have the Libs lost so far?

25 or was it 26

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:43pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:36pm:
As the old saying goes

Good luck with that!

25 or was it 26

Wrong swallows. Wink

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #67 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:49pm

You righties must be depressed. Shorten isn't well liked by anyone yet he is still going to slaughter TurnedBull.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #68 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:51pm

lee wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
As the old saying goes

Good luck with that!

25 or was it 26

Wrong swallows. Wink

27 ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #69 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:53pm

miketrees wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:13am:
For those old enough to remember.

Shorten reminds me of Calwell, and Hayden.

They all lack that bit extra zing which our gullible electors seem to crave.

Evidence,,,,, Rudd all poster, no substance yet got elected.

Turnbull - none of the above and got elected ???

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:55pm

There is a history of sweetheart deals with big business to stop the likelihood of strikes with Bill Shorten's signature to deal and the deals meant big money into the Union's coffers

It would not matter if you published pictures of Shorten rooting a dog, the Drongoes will still worship him.

They are brain dead.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #71 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:09pm

miketrees wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:55pm:

It would not matter if you published pictures of Shorten rooting a dog, the Drongoes will still worship him.

They are brain dead.

If I am not mistaken many people have proclaimed Shorten a dud.

In terms of your comment we had Trump recorded bragging about routinely getting away with sexual assault and the conservatives still voted for him, guess the deaf and blind brain dead disease isn't limited to one side ?.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:48pm

miketrees wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:55pm:

They are brain dead.

Who, exactly, worships Shorten?

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #73 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:51pm

I hope Bills first order of business is if you haven't been a union member for at least 25 years , no pension

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:53pm

Its time wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:51pm:
I hope Bills first order of business is if you haven't been a union member for at least 25 years , no pension

Grin

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #75 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 7:54pm

As the old saying goes

Good luck with that!

25 or was it 26

26 red , it's in my avatar and the big countdown will be updated as yet another , i repeat another loss rolls in  Smiley

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #76 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:08pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 6:26pm:
Labor haven't realised yet that they'd blitz the election if they got rid of that spineless pussy Shorten. He's keeping Turdball in the race.

100% Shorten is definitely an asset for the LNP he is the daggy uncle everyone ignores when the family gets together. For sure the ALP would have won the last election with a better leader.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:50pm

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:08pm:

100% Shorten is definitely an asset for the LNP he is the daggy uncle everyone ignores when the family gets together. For sure the ALP would have won the last election with a better leader.

If Shorten's so bad, why have the ALP been ahead in 26 Newspolls in a row?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:54pm

Bam wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:50pm:

The question should be if Shorten is so good and Malcolm so bad why are his personal ratings down the tube as prospective PM.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #79 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 8:11am

RightSaidFred wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:08pm:

OK so you think people voted ALP due to BS Shorten ?
Your are perfectly entitled to hold that delusional view its the same polls that suggest he is a dud so try resolving that inconsistency with your rusted on little brain !

So do you believe the polls or not ? Which is it ?

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #80 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 8:15am

lee wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:54pm:

The question should be if Shorten is so good and Malcolm so bad why are his personal ratings down the tube as prospective PM.

I am happy either way limp into power with a dud BS Shorten or lose the next election with him....... if the ALP wins they will once again demonstrate why they are not fit to govern or if the poll trend continues with the Dud BS Shorten leading the ALP ..... Turnbull who I hate will be in for another term.

The idiot is not explaining how his poor polling is an asset for the ALP ....... looks more like an opportunity to replace him. Albo would have won the last election for the ALP !

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #81 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:04pm

Bookmarking this thread for next newspoll that shows labor are still I repeat still in front  Grin

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:22pm

LW tries to get attention by saying Labor is out in front.

So is his HERO Bull S.

...   ...

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #83 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:47pm

still in front , as they will be after Mals 35th and 40th loss

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:58pm

lee wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:54pm:

All else being equal, incumbent PMs typically enjoy a 10% lead over their opponents in opinion polls.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #85 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:53am

Bill Shorten has peaked - and Malcolm Turnbull has him in his sights

Catherine McGregor

When I wrote, towards the end of last year, that I discerned the first green shoots of nascent recovery in the political fortunes of the Turnbull government, I was ridiculed on these pages by the sanctimonious, for whom wishful thinking is preferable to critical thinking. Even louder were the voices of the purse-lipped, parasol-wielding dowagers of the far right, whom Miranda Devine has accurately, if somewhat uncharitably, classified as the Del-Cons, or Delusional Conservatives.

Until the same-sex marriage debate, I was defined as an Abbott Restorationist rather than a Del-Con. Ties of personal loyalty and a pragmatic belief that Tony Abbott was the only substantial leader capable of forging an uneasy truce between angry conservatives in the Coalition base and its moderate wing motivated me in supporting his return to the leadership.

As Parliament resumes for the first time in 2018, talk continues about the leadership of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten's chances at the next election.

Likewise, I believed Abbott was closer than Malcolm Turnbull to the centre of gravity when it came to Coalition sentiment on energy policy. My assessment was vindicated when the issue re-emerged late last year and proved a flashpoint for Coalition unity.

It is not necessary to like Turnbull to concede that he possesses extravagant intellectual talent, though unleavened by political acumen. But I thought his solo performance on the ABC's Q&A late last year demonstrated why he will probably defeat Bill Shorten.

Like punch-drunk fighters reacting to an elevator bell, the usual suspects sneered their virtuous opprobrium. The latest Newspoll indicates that Turnbull has staged a comeback. Now, I am as culpable as any in predicting a potentially permanent schism in the conservative base, with steady defections to Cory Bernardi's Party of God and Pauline Hanson's One Nation, accompanied by a remorseless collapse in Turnbull's poll numbers leading inevitably to his replacement.

What is especially significant about Turnbull's recovery is that the improvement in the Coalition position is largely being driven by Conservatives returning to the fold, having flirted with fringe right-wing parties. As both the Western Australian and Queensland elections have revealed, voters opt for sanity and predictability in their governments.

The sane centre continues to hold in Australian politics, though growing disparity in income distribution and increasing pressure on family budgets could conceivably revive angry populism. But for the moment, the hectoring "Milo" kids on Sky can continue to rant at transient passengers in airport lounges.

Their bark is worse than their bite. They are solemn rather than serious men, none more so than the tedious Andrew Bolt, who has created a successful brand out of Turnbull hatred. He and his dwindling band of heroic Outsiders will no doubt continue to defy the unconscionable efforts to silence and persecute them while they stoically defend the imperilled ramparts of Western Civilisation. When the future of the West is in the hands of Daisy Cousens, Piers Akerman and Roscoe Cameron, one can sleep soundly. They will defend our island whatever the cost.

Turnbull significantly continues to enjoy an edge over Bill Shorten as preferred prime minister. His performance on Q&A exuded authority whereas Shorten lacks physical and rhetorical ballast. His lines are resonant and clearly derived from deep research into voter insecurities about wages growth and the unfairness of the tax system. But he lacks presence. Personally, I think he has peaked.

Very few opposition leaders have come to office at their second election. Gough Whitlam, John Howard and Abbott are notable recent exceptions. Shorten is a less compelling figure than any of these men, and is about to face a much more adverse political climate. The dual citizenship saga now holds more risks for him than for Turnbull, and strong jobs growth will reinforce the natural tendency of voters to invest more faith in Conservative governments than Labor on economic management. While I do not endorse the hysterical claims of some conservatives that Shorten is a socialist, merely a pallid version of Jeremy Corbyn, Labor does suffer a trust deficit on economic management.

pt1

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #86 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:53am

pt 2

Shorten is pursuing mildly redistributive policies that will resonate with wage earners, especially those reliant on casual rates. But he was at his best exploiting conservative chaos last year. That chaos may not remain dormant. Perhaps the latest poll was merely an aberration, the customary festive season bounce for the incumbent. But my sense is that the deteriorating global security situation and the turbulence on the stockmarket will help Turnbull more than Shorten.

Shorten campaigned well in the 2016 double dissolution election. But I think that it was his best chance to cause an upset. Already there are rumblings among nervous Labor MPs about whether the tide is ebbing. Of course, removal of Labor leaders cannot be achieved by party room coups. Shorten is in all but an impregnable position.

This weekend, television viewers will be reminded of the Hawke years. Bob Hawke was blessed with an innate political cunning and raw charisma without peer. As a young Labor official in 1987 I was involved in a meeting with the then general secretary of the NSW branch, Stephen Loosley, and some of Hawke's key advisers. Labor had narrowly lost a state byelection in Armidale in May, necessitated by the death of Bill McCarthy, a popular Labor incumbent in a naturally conservative seat.

I had been the seconded head office official in the ALP campaign team and was summoned to Canberra to pass on some observations as to the mood in regional Australia to the Great Man and his Manchu Court. I remember Hawke lying on a sofa puffing on a cigar. He was behind in the published polls by about as much as Turnbull is now. He mused, "I reckon I can run this bloke [Howard] down over the campaign." He did.

Turnbull is no Bob Hawke. But he must be sorely tempted to put Shorten to the sword at the first available opportunity.

Catherine McGregor is a Fairfax Media columnist. Notably a biased Liberal and more often than not wrong about political outcomes.  But hey apart from Juliar we needed to hear from such a source actually connected to the people involved.

IP Logged

RightSaidFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #87 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:22am

Grendel

For many in this forum who take interest in politics and the details much of what you posted is very relevant.

In general BS Shorten's public persona was destroyed long before he took over the leadership.

Most voters do not spend much time analysing a party's potential they either react to media sensations or judge someone once they are in power.

What I don't get with BS Shorten is a leader of a left wing party needs to appeal to more centrists pretty much what Rudd did, I see nothing centrist about BS Shorten he is the wrong leader. Not sure if he is even stabilising the ALP vote.

Looking at the poll trends the ALP primary was at 35% in 2015 and is at 37% now. This is against the big drop in LNP votes.

Also with the latest LNP up trend (early) it seems to be at the cost of One Nation votes.

It appears the LNP voters are not as rusted on but the ALP  are attracting none of the demise from one nation.

I can see why many are warning the ALP on this.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #88 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:39am

dead men walking

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #89 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:43am

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:48am

LW is stuttering "posts" again. Mist be excited at seeing his HERO Bull S. being demolished.

Now for some REAL DIRT on LW's HERO BULL S. courtesy of the Kangaroo Court.

https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/?s=bill+shorten&submit=Search

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #91 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:53am

soon to be

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:37am

LW has gone all hazy again as he tries to get noticed.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:56am

I don't know why voters are rusted on to one side or the other.

Politicians and parties will let you down badly over time.

LW is a classic rusted on, I think there is something missing in his life to require that level of tribal allegiance

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #94 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:17am

miketrees wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:56am:
I don't know why voters are rusted on to one side or the other.

Politicians and parties will let you down badly over time.

LW is a classic rusted on, I think there is something missing in his life to require that level of tribal allegiance

I actually voted for Howard and got rid of Keating, rates up there as one of the dumbest things I have ever done .

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:19am

I actually voted for Howard and got rid of Keating, rates up there as one of the dumbest things I have ever done .

Dont worry there is still time

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #96 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:28am

I'd say the plunge started some time ago  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IBI

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:37am

Gordon wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:28am:

If the best argument you can come up with is an inane personal attack, Shorten is doing okay.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #98 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:49am

Bam wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:37am:

If the best argument you can come up with is an inane personal attack, Shorten is doing okay.

Tell us all in your heart of hearts, is Bill your best choice for Labor?

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/bill-shorten-has-peaked--and-malcolm-turnbull-has-...

IBI

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #99 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:16pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:49am:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/bill-shorten-has-peaked--and-malcolm-turnbull-has-...

I would prefer someone more militant union

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:19pm

Of course you would CFMEU.... 
have you stopped beating people up yet?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:38pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:49am:

I don't see anyone defending Turnbull. Why is the Coalition doing so badly in the opinion polls? Is it Turnbull, the government or the government's policies?

Shorten is on track to win the next election. If he gives Labor a win, Shorten will take the incumbent PM's usual 10-point advantage in opinion polls. That's all Turnbull's preferred PM lead really is: incumbency.

When Turnbull loses, he will quit the leadership, and shortly after he will quit politics. If you think Labor has leadership issues, it's nothing on what the Liberals would have in such a scenario.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #102 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:12pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:19pm:
Of course you would CFMEU.... 
have you stopped beating people up yet?

Don't bash anybody teddy tantrum

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #103 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:48pm

Wassup CFMEU?
Got nothin?
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Of course... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #104 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:08pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:48pm:
Wassup CFMEU?
Got nothin?
Of course... Roll Eyes

I said I don't beat people , I'm not sure what response you were expecting teddy

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #105 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:13pm

Wassup CFMEU?
Got nothin?
Of course... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #106 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:30pm

Stop wasting my time teddy troll

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #107 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:49pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:13pm:
Wassup CFMEU?
Got nothin?
Of course... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #108 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 7:40am

Then along comes Barnaby

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #109 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 7:47am

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #110 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:08am

Next news poll should be interesting....I can see the LNP suffering for Barnaby Joyce screwing his mistress on the taxpayer dime and Malcolm Turnbull pretending Barney has broken no rules....The rule about common decency and respect are not written down so do not need to be heeded....Another cluster f@#k from this inept Government!!!

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 10:33am

philperth2010 wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:08am:
Next news poll should be interesting....I can see the LNP suffering for Barnaby Joyce screwing his mistress on the taxpayer dime and Malcolm Turnbull pretending Barney has broken no rules....The rule about common decency and respect are not written down so do not need to be heeded....Another cluster f@#k from this inept Government!!!

The recent Newspoll could turn out to be nothing more than a dead cat bounce. We'll have to wait and see.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:12pm

The dismayed despairing Lefties are rummaging thru the wreckage of the corrupt union controlled Labor Party trying to find anything that is not a certain election loss.

They are even fantasizing about the Newspoll which everyone knows is controlled by Malcolm who wants Bull S. to stay there until the election.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:45pm

juliar wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:12pm:
The dismayed despairing Lefties are rummaging thru the wreckage of the corrupt union controlled Labor Party trying to find anything that is not a certain election loss.

They are even fantasizing about the Newspoll which everyone knows is controlled by Malcolm who wants Bull S. to stay there until the election.

Your comedy just gets wilder and wilder in the face of impending doom.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:52pm

Futile fumblings and grumblings are heard coming from the crumbling decaying world of political correctness.

Will Bull S. take his pledge to RESTART the BOATS to the election ?

It is easy to see why Mal keeps doctoring Newspoll to make sure Bull S. stays there until the election.

There are now clear signs that the inconsolable Lefties are rattled.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #115 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:58pm

Will Barny force a split from the libtards so both parties can die a miserable death ?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:24pm

Here's another Labor scandal that disappeared in a puff of smoke-

Senator Nova Peris sought taxpayers’ money to help her to carry out a ‘freaky’ extra-marital sexual tryst with Olympic medallist Ato Boldon
CHRISTOPHER WALSH, Political Reporter, NT News
October 28, 2014 11:30pm

SENATOR Nova Peris sought taxpayers’ money to help her to carry out an extra-marital sexual tryst with Olympic medallist Ato Boldon in 2010, an NT News investigation has revealed.

Former world 200m sprint champs Ato Bolden and Olympic champ and now senator Nova Peris hosting an Athletics clinic for kids together. Picture: News Corp
Ms Peris, who was working as a communication officer with the Australian Institute of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies at the time and as ambassador for Athletics Australia, sought funds from Athletics Australia and other sources to pay for Mr Boldon’s trip to Australia from Los Angeles to take part in a 10 day official “Jump Start to London” program for young athletes.
She also used that trip to carry out a “just like a Tim-tam... black on black” affair with Mr Boldon. She was married to Daniel Batman at the time.

Ato Boldon of Trinidad and Tobago (r) during the Men's 100m qualifying heat at the World Track and Field Championships at the Olympic Stadium in Athens, 1997. “Ato…tell me babe…what u want … Make a bit of money and spend time together … I will take time of from work to be with u,” Ms Peris wrote in an email exchange obtained by the NT News.
Mr Boldon responded: “Purpose is time with u plus attend trials plus help them promote the trials and possibly guest broadcast on the tv station carrying it…need hotel ticket plus 15,000 US…”

Athletics Australia confirmed they did pay for Mr Boldon’s flight to Melbourne from Los Angeles and covered his accommodations and some “incidentals” while in Australia.

A spokesman confirmed Ms Peris had personally selected Mr Boldon for the “Jump Start to London” program and that he “capably fulfilled his role as mentor and ambassador.” Athletics Australia would not disclose the total amount for the 10 day trip that ran from April 9 – 19, 2010 and refused to disclose any other information citing confidentiality.

Then-Prime Minister Julia Gillard with Nova Peris at Parliament House in Canberra, after Nova Peris was announced as the preferred Senate Candidate for the Northern Territory. “We also have a relationship with Senator Peris who is a reputable former athlete and someone who we want to maintain a relationship with,” said Cody Lynch.
In other emails obtained by the NT News, Ms Peris sends multiple nude pictures of herself to Mr Boldon and speaks candidly about her views on race relations in Australia.
“...You should be compensated for your long haul travels across the pacific.. sexually of course… but only .. a tired traveller should kick back for a few days,” Ms Peris says on Feb 28, 2010.

Ato Boldon while in Sydney for the 2000 Olympic Games. Picture: Darren Seiler
On March 5, 2010 Mr Boldon asks for something to tide him over until their rendezvous.
“Looks great.. when do I get some nude pics from u?”
Ms Peris responds on the same day: “Really, u want me to send some!!!! That is some freaky stuff Mr B..u like freaky??”
On March 6, Ms Peris emails Mr Boldon a nude photo of herself to which he responds: “Ohh ok lol”.
“Tester before naughty,” Ms Peris explains in a follow-up.

Ato Boldon, Prue Jackson and Maurice Greene during an Inside Sport magazine photographic shoot at Movie World amusement park in Brisbane in 2001.
Ms Peris responded to questions posed by the NT News last night, saying she “categorically rejects any wrongdoing”.
“During his trip Mr Boldon promoted athletics, attended and promoted specific events and conducted clinics for young Indigenous athletes,” she said. “Other organisations, including the West Australian Government, supported some events during the visit. I understand Athletics Australia was pleased with the outcome of the visit.
“The highs and lows of my athletic career – and now political career – are public.
“The highs and lows of my private life are matters for me and my family.”
In earlier emails from February 26, 2010, Ms Peris assures Mr Boldon she will find the money for him.
“…all expenses paid meals & accom and a fee!! Don’t know what it is I was thinking around the $10k I don’t know bub…if your purpose was to come here and make a bit of money or holiday…it was not in the budget to bring any profile athletes out but…I am goin through the indigenous grants mob….they can do was I have suggested…but I am not sure what they can do …”

Athlete Nova Peris-Kneebone displays her gold medal won in the women's 200 final at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur. Picture: News Corp
In other emails Ms Peris tells Mr Boldon that Sally McGrady from Athletics Australia would be arranging his payment and that Nova set it up so he would not have to pay tax on his earnings.
“I am happy to do one up for you just give me your account details and I will get the waiver form so u don’t have to pay tax, u get the whole amount

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #117 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:34pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:24pm:
Here's another Labor scandal that disappeared in a puff of smoke-

Senator Nova Peris sought taxpayers’ money to help her to carry out a ‘freaky’ extra-marital sexual tryst with Olympic medallist Ato Boldon
CHRISTOPHER WALSH, Political Reporter, NT News
October 28, 2014 11:30pm

SENATOR Nova Peris sought taxpayers’ money to help her to carry out an extra-marital sexual tryst with Olympic medallist Ato Boldon in 2010, an NT News investigation has revealed.

Former world 200m sprint champs Ato Bolden and Olympic champ and now senator Nova Peris hosting an Athletics clinic for kids together. Picture: News Corp
Ms Peris, who was working as a communication officer with the Australian Institute of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies at the time and as ambassador for Athletics Australia, sought funds from Athletics Australia and other sources to pay for Mr Boldon’s trip to Australia from Los Angeles to take part in a 10 day official “Jump Start to London” program for young athletes.
She also used that trip to carry out a “just like a Tim-tam... black on black” affair with Mr Boldon. She was married to Daniel Batman at the time.

Ato Boldon of Trinidad and Tobago (r) during the Men's 100m qualifying heat at the World Track and Field Championships at the Olympic Stadium in Athens, 1997. “Ato…tell me babe…what u want … Make a bit of money and spend time together … I will take time of from work to be with u,” Ms Peris wrote in an email exchange obtained by the NT News.
Mr Boldon responded: “Purpose is time with u plus attend trials plus help them promote the trials and possibly guest broadcast on the tv station carrying it…need hotel ticket plus 15,000 US…”

Athletics Australia confirmed they did pay for Mr Boldon’s flight to Melbourne from Los Angeles and covered his accommodations and some “incidentals” while in Australia.

A spokesman confirmed Ms Peris had personally selected Mr Boldon for the “Jump Start to London” program and that he “capably fulfilled his role as mentor and ambassador.” Athletics Australia would not disclose the total amount for the 10 day trip that ran from April 9 – 19, 2010 and refused to disclose any other information citing confidentiality.

Then-Prime Minister Julia Gillard with Nova Peris at Parliament House in Canberra, after Nova Peris was announced as the preferred Senate Candidate for the Northern Territory. “We also have a relationship with Senator Peris who is a reputable former athlete and someone who we want to maintain a relationship with,” said Cody Lynch.
In other emails obtained by the NT News, Ms Peris sends multiple nude pictures of herself to Mr Boldon and speaks candidly about her views on race relations in Australia.
“...You should be compensated for your long haul travels across the pacific.. sexually of course… but only .. a tired traveller should kick back for a few days,” Ms Peris says on Feb 28, 2010.

Ato Boldon while in Sydney for the 2000 Olympic Games. Picture: Darren Seiler
On March 5, 2010 Mr Boldon asks for something to tide him over until their rendezvous.
“Looks great.. when do I get some nude pics from u?”
Ms Peris responds on the same day: “Really, u want me to send some!!!! That is some freaky stuff Mr B..u like freaky??”
On March 6, Ms Peris emails Mr Boldon a nude photo of herself to which he responds: “Ohh ok lol”.
“Tester before naughty,” Ms Peris explains in a follow-up.

Ato Boldon, Prue Jackson and Maurice Greene during an Inside Sport magazine photographic shoot at Movie World amusement park in Brisbane in 2001.
Ms Peris responded to questions posed by the NT News last night, saying she “categorically rejects any wrongdoing”.
“During his trip Mr Boldon promoted athletics, attended and promoted specific events and conducted clinics for young Indigenous athletes,” she said. “Other organisations, including the West Australian Government, supported some events during the visit. I understand Athletics Australia was pleased with the outcome of the visit.
“The highs and lows of my athletic career – and now political career – are public.
“The highs and lows of my private life are matters for me and my family.”
In earlier emails from February 26, 2010, Ms Peris assures Mr Boldon she will find the money for him.
“…all expenses paid meals & accom and a fee!! Don’t know what it is I was thinking around the $10k I don’t know bub…if your purpose was to come here and make a bit of money or holiday…it was not in the budget to bring any profile athletes out but…I am goin through the indigenous grants mob….they can do was I have suggested…but I am not sure what they can do …”

Athlete Nova Peris-Kneebone displays her gold medal won in the women's 200 final at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur. Picture: News Corp
In other emails Ms Peris tells Mr Boldon that Sally McGrady from Athletics Australia would be arranging his payment and that Nova set it up so he would not have to pay tax on his earnings.
“I am happy to do one up for you just give me your account details and I will get the waiver form so u don’t have to pay tax, u get the whole amount

Nobody cares rtard  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:42pm

Only a numpty like leftwinger would bang on about Joyce but ignore a Labor politician trying to get the taxpayer bucks together to get a black guy out here so she could ride his big black c$ck?

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 10:59pm

Bam wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:45pm:
juliar wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:12pm:

Your comedy just gets wilder and wilder in the face of impending doom.

The lack of silver lining in this Lib/Nats saga is really pushing juliar's creative juices.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #120 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:37am

Mr Hammer wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:42pm:
Only a numpty like leftwinger would bang on about Joyce but ignore a Labor politician trying to get the taxpayer bucks together to get a black guy out here so she could ride his big black c$ck?

So if you think this behaviour is so deplorable why are you sticking up for Barnaby Joyce who is 10 times worse???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #121 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 6:51am

Mr Hammer wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 5:42pm:

Why would you need to be talking about pathetic 6 year old news instead of today's story ?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #122 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:18am

Labor should be a walk-in at State and Federal level except for one thing - they've shot themselves in the foot by changing from the party of the workers to the party of the sheilas and every other special interest group, and nobody really is that interested.

I, for one, will never vote for a party that enforces quotas.

The sad thing is that the two options available to the voting public are both abysmally poor and are so bound by half-baked social and economic ideas, and all on the assumption that any priming cash for either business or yet another crazy social venture can come out of the public purse, that there is no contact with the real issues for everybody else.

Well - two things - their choices in leadership are woeful - look at Dastardly Sam as their ethnic Great Brown Hope.... desperately trying to show us 'equality' for every imported group at the expense of the rest - when the majority are not happy and haven't been for a very long time, with the immigration 'mix' and process.

We are NOT an Asian or Middle Eastern country, nor an African one..... and hardly even a Mediterranean one, either... and the advent of all those self-serving peasants and cunning serfs has destroyed the social fabric of this nation, let alone raised the crime level in the major cities.

You may add to that the following:-  the voting public are becoming more and more aware that politics is nothing more than a self-interest process.. a 'business venture' - to secure self and cronies for life, and is not and never has been in this nation a service to the people and nation.  Every day brings another revelation of some stupid chicanery by some dope in politics, who it seems, couldn't see sense if it hit them between the eyes...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:27pm

Pinocchio, Snow White and Superman ....

Pinocchio, Snow White and Superman are out for a stroll in town one day.

As they walk down the street, they come across a sign, "Beauty contest for the most beautiful

woman in the world."

"I am entering," said Snow White. After half an hour she comes out and they asked her,

"Well, how.did you do?"

"First Place," said Snow White.

They continue walking and they see a sign,

"Contest for the strongest man in the world."

"I'm entering," says Superman. After half an hour he returns and they ask him,

"How did you make out?"

"First Place," answers Superman. "Did you ever doubt?"

They continue walking when they see a sign,

"Contest! Who is the greatest liar in the world?"

Pinocchio says, "This is mine." Half an hour later,

he returns with tears pouring from his eyes.

"What happened?" they asked.

"Who the fxxk is Bill Shorten?" asked Pinocchio.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #124 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:56pm

lee wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:27pm:
Pinocchio, Snow White and Superman ....

Pinocchio, Snow White and Superman are out for a stroll in town one day.

As they walk down the street, they come across a sign, "Beauty contest for the most beautiful

woman in the world."

"I am entering," said Snow White. After half an hour she comes out and they asked her,

"Well, how.did you do?"

"First Place," said Snow White.

They continue walking and they see a sign,

"Contest for the strongest man in the world."

"I'm entering," says Superman. After half an hour he returns and they ask him,

"How did you make out?"

"First Place," answers Superman. "Did you ever doubt?"

They continue walking when they see a sign,

"Contest! Who is the greatest liar in the world?"

Pinocchio says, "This is mine." Half an hour later,

he returns with tears pouring from his eyes.

"What happened?" they asked.

"Who the fxxk is Bill Shorten?" asked Pinocchio.

You do know that John Howard and Tony Abbott our two least honest PM's were both Liberals right ???

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #125 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:04pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:56pm:
You do know that John Howard and Tony Abbott our two least honest PM's were both Liberals right ???

You do know that is a subjective statment; right? Wink

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #126 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:15pm

lee wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:04pm:
Dnarever wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:56pm:

You do know that is a subjective statment; right? Wink

Howard has a documented lie on almost every topic and Abbott managed 7 lies in 25 words ? Howard's own party referred to him as the lying rodent. The impressive list of Howard lies is astounding.

Their competition isn't anywhere close and that is a fact.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #127 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:21pm

as I said subjective. You haven't include any from your side; why is that? Wink

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #128 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:51pm

The most hilarious part of this farce involving Barnaby Joyce is watching Bill Shorten standing up in Parliament as  'the Statesman from the Labor Party' who is tutt tutting about the mess that Turnbull and Joyce have turned the Country into

Geez Bill I hope you had your fingers crossed whilst you were saying all this, given that you have been one of the biggest 'pants men' in Federal Parliament

I am amazed that no Politician has got up and mentioned your unfortunate result with a former secretary of yours which rumour has it..end up in the family way'

That is until 'an intervention' occurred and the matter quietly went away

Bet Barnaby wishes he knew your secret on 'how to get away with it' Cheesy

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #129 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:55pm

red baron wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
The most hilarious part of this farce involving Barnaby Joyce is watching Bill Shorten standing up in Parliament as  'the Statesman from the Labor Party' who is tutt tutting about the mess that Turnbull and Joyce have turned the Country into

Geez Bill I hope you had your fingers crossed whilst you were saying all this, given that you have been one of the biggest 'pants men' in Federal Parliament

I am amazed that no Politician has got up and mentioned your unfortunate result with a former secretary of yours which rumour has it..end up in the family way'

It's you mongs giving him a free kick again and again and again v

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #130 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 2:35pm

red baron wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:51pm:

Got any links to support that crap?

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 5:24pm

Some people are so desperate to move from this Barny mess.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #132 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 5:32pm

lee wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
as I said subjective. You haven't include any from your side; why is that? Wink

Because they do not compete with these two none of them are in the same class by a country mile.

These two are the undisputed champions in this category, John would hold a high world ranking.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:29pm

Wonder what the next newspol will be like after all this mess.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #134 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:32pm

stunspore wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 7:29pm:
Wonder what the next newspol will be like after all this mess.

No matter how far down the page this thread gets before next newspoll I've book marked it ready to absolutely stick it up the dumb mongs on here for the 27 th time

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #135 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:17am

red baron wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:27am:
Shorten cannot win the next election. Anthony Albanese would give it a red hot go and if Labor don't replace Shorten immediately, they might as well consign themselves to another term on the Opposition benches

“A drover's dog could lead the Labor Party to victory”

Opposition Leader Bill Hayden after handing Labor Party leadership to Bob Hawke only a few hours before the 1983 election

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #136 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:12pm

Daily Telegraph Sept 21 2008

How about this blast from the past from  Pants Man Bill..Aussie?

LABOR MP Bill Shorten has left his wife for the daughter of Kevin Rudd's newly appointed Governor-General, Quentin Bryce.

The parliamentary secretary for disabilities and children's services separated from his wife, Deborah Beale, in the past month and is understood to be in a relationship with Chloe Bryce.

Mr Shorten, who was formerly the Australian Workers' Union national secretary, has beentouted as a future Labor leader for several years.

However, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd kept his distance yesterday from the political scandal engulfing one of his star MPs.

"We don't have any comment on the story,'' a spokesman for Mr Rudd said.

Mr Shorten and Ms Bryce have been friends for at least a year.

The pair had dinner together at Quentin Bryce's residence in Brisbane on September 5, 2007, when she was Queensland Governor, according to a Vice-Regal notice in Brisbane's Courier Mail newspaper.

"In the evening, the Governor received the call of Ms Chloe Bryce-Parkin and Mr Bill Shorten,'' the notice states.

Mr Shorten then went on to become elected as the Member for Maribyrnong at the federal election and thanked his wife, Deborah, in the maiden speech he delivered in February this year, four months after visiting the now-Governor General with Ms Bryce-Parkin.

"Above all others - and I can say this on Valentine's Day - I thank my wife, Deb Beale, an endlessly intelligent, supportive and loving woman,'' he said.

"I knew this instantly from my first outing, when she agreed to visit a picket line with me.''

He also thanked his parents-in-law, Julian and Felicity Beale.

Mr Shorten was one of five MPs invited to attend the September ceremony where Ms Quentin Bryce was sworn in as the 25th Governor-General of Australia.

Chloe Bryce attended the ceremony, with her two children, Georgette and Rupert, from her marriage to architect Roger Parkin.

How is this different to Barnaby Joyce's problem?

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #137 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:30pm

red baron wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:12pm:

It's not.   Nor is this   ...

Quote:
SYDNEY, Australia, March 21— Prime Minister Bob Hawke, dogged by questions about his personal life, tearfully admitted, in a television interview broadcast tonight, to being unfaithful to his wife of 33 years.

Mr. Hawke said on the Channel 7 network's Newsworld program that he had committed adultery but said he would do so no longer. Mr. Hawke, tears welling in his eyes, said he loved his wife, Hazel, whom he called an ''incredible woman.''

The Labor Party leader said ''she understood that it was part of a pretty volatile, exuberant character, and she knew my love for her had never changed.'' He also made references to his past drinking problems.

Mr. Hawke must call elections in mid-1990 and he has said he will seek an unprecedented fourth three-year term as Prime Minister. His popularity is believed to be eroding because of rising interest rates, higher taxes and other economic woes.

The 59-year-old Prime Minister has been followed by questions about his personal life for years but had never admitted he cheated on his wife. His confession on national television caused a sensation.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/22/world/marital-lapse-by-australian.html

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #138 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:58pm

Quote:

Not one cent of taxpayer's money was involved, that's the huge difference.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #139 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:51pm

Latest Newspoll

2PP: ALP 53 (+1) Coalition 47 (-1).
Preferred PM: Turnbull 40 (-5) Shorten 33 (+2).

Source: GhostWhoVotes.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:56pm

Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:
DIf you want to see leadership troubles, wait until after the next election and Turnbull's inevitable resignation as leader after the Coalition loses, and the Libs go through their usual 3 or 4 leaders in the first term of Opposition.

Nek minnit ... Barnaby Joyce.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #141 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:06pm

Bam wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:51pm:
Latest Newspoll

2PP: ALP 53 (+1) Coalition 47 (-1).
Preferred PM: Turnbull 40 (-5) Shorten 33 (+2).

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Tuddahs

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:39am

Not quite 45-55.  3 more polls to go.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #143 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:38am

What a ludicrous answer Aussie..you are pathetic!

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #144 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:05am

MINUS
5 for damp squib  Grin Grin

Dead man walking

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #145 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 9:12am

Poor old red baron with omlette shot from a cannon all over his face  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #146 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:33am

Aussie wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Quote:

Not one cent of taxpayer's money was involved, that's the huge difference.

... and Bill Shorten wasn't Chloe Bryce's BOSS

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #147 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:48am

It's over rtards  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Tudahs rtards tuddddddddahs

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #148 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 10:56am

red baron wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:38am:
What a ludicrous answer Aussie..you are pathetic!

It's not a ludicrous answer. Nor are we talking about small amounts of money: hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayers' money has been appropriated on specious grounds. A very generous salary for an unnecessary "media advisor" position, dozens of claims for staying in Armidale on "official business" when no official business has been identified, similar dubious claims for staying in Canberra, a $60,000 taxpayer-funded trip with the mistress. We will likely hear about more of these in the next few weeks.

Peter Slipper was hounded for over a year over a trip to a winery that cost less than $1000. Bronwyn Bishop was forced to resign as Speaker over an extravagant helicopter trip for Liberal party purposes. Both were forced out of politics at the following election. If the same strict rules that applied to them were applied to Joyce, he would be forced to repay all dubious expenses claims, resign all positions of responsibility and leave politics at the next election.

The recent Newspoll has two-thirds of respondents saying that Joyce should resign as leader of the National Party (65%) as opposed to only 23% saying he should remain. As long as he does not do so, the scandal will continue to fester and will drag down the Coalition's support.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #149 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:02am

Newspoll leaders:

Turnbull: Approve 34 (-3), Disapprove 54 (+4)
Shorten: Approve 34 (0), Disapprove 54 (+2)
Preferred PM: Turnbull 40 (-5) Shorten 33 (+2)

Primary votes:

Coalition 36 (-2), ALP 37 (0), GRN 10 (0), ON 8 (+3)

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #150 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:29am

It is indeed a beautiful day

Unless you're an rtard that commented on this post  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:12pm

Its time wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:29am:

Yes, the polls are interesting but I believe we should wait until the election. With luck, then we can celebrate the defeat of this awful government. The Downfall parodies will be particularly humorous.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #152 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:18pm

Looks like juliar is off sick still!

Or Banned   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #153 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:45pm

The Turnbull government has seized on a poll showing almost half of all voters would prefer someone other than Bill Shorten to lead the Labor Party.

"This is going to be a very bleak year for Bill Shorten - unfortunately the public have found him out," cabinet minister Christopher Pyne told ABC radio on Monday.

Mr Pyne was responding to the first Newspoll of the year showing Tanya Plibersek (25 per cent) is the preferred Labor leader among all voters closely followed by Anthony Albanese (24 per cent) with Mr Shorten on 22 per cent.

Among Labor voters, Mr Shorten was a clear choice with 37 per cent backing him over Ms Plibersek (27 per cent) and Mr Albanese (23 per cent).

... and when Turnbull resigns, or is shown the door, after the next federal election - who will the Liberal Party choose as its next leader ?

Will it be the electorally popular
Julie Bishop
- or will the bloke party stick with the blokes - and go with one of the equally despised -
Morrison or Dutton
?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #154 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:16pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 6:45pm:

... and when Turnbull resigns, or is shown the door, after the next federal election - who will the Liberal Party choose as its next leader ?

Will it be the electorally popular
Julie Bishop
- or will the bloke party stick with the blokes - and go with one of the equally despised -
Morrison or Dutton
?

I suspect Bishop will end up with the leadership, despite the best efforts of the Liberal Party of Sydney to put yet another Sydney hack into the role. The last Liberal leader who did not represent a seat from the Sydney metropolitan area was Alexander Downer (1994-95).

As for the others you mentioned, Morrison is a Sydney hack and Dutton is likely to lose his seat.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #155 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:27pm

Bam wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 12:12pm:
Its time wrote on Feb 19th, 2018 at 11:29am:

Yes, the polls are interesting but I believe we should wait until the election. With luck, then we can celebrate the defeat of this awful government. The Downfall parodies will be particularly humorous.

Luck ? They will absolutely romp it in

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #156 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:47am

Clutching at straws Buzzanddidj . Whilst Chloe Bryce wasn't his Secretary she was the daughter of the currently serving Governor General Governor General of Queensland at the time

Shorten sang his wife's praises at his swearing in as an M.P. but that didn't last long because less than a year later he was in bed with Chloe Bryce

AND...since he has become Leader of the Opposition rumours were rife about him impregnating his secretary then having a quiet little 'fixup' done to hush the matter

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #157 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:47am

#

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #158 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 11:22am

red baron wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:47am:
Clutching at straws Buzzanddidj . Whilst Chloe Bryce wasn't his Secretary
she was the daughter of the currently serving Governor General Governor General of Queensland at the time

Shorten sang his wife's praises at his swearing in as an M.P. but that didn't last long because less than a year later he was in bed with Chloe Bryce

AND...since he has become Leader of the Opposition rumours were rife about him impregnating his secretary then having a quiet little 'fixup' done to hush the matter

Nope.

Mis-read that.  Confused me with the expression Governor General.  Bryce was the Governor (no General) at the time, yes.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 1:12pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #159 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 12:08pm

Clutching at straws Buzzanddidj . Whilst Chloe Bryce wasn't his Secretary she was the daughter of the currently serving Governor General Governor General of Queensland at the time

Rumours eh , sounds a lot like the big plunge except in was the libtards that are walking the plank

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #160 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 12:52pm

"rumours". Really? Is that the best you can do?  Huh Your hatred of Bill Shorten is growing more irrational by the day.

Joyce's conduct is demonstrably worse than any unsubstantiated rumours you can hint darkly at. Joyce has left a considerable paper trail. Joyce has been running up quite a bill at taxpayers' expense to finance his affair. No matter the circumstances, misappropriating taxpayers' money for private business is not something that is looked on favourably by the Parliament or the voters. The amount of money involved so far is considerably more than the amount spent by Peter Slipper, Bronwyn Bishop and Craig Thomson - COMBINED. And that's leaving out the multiple jobs for the mistress that were created out of thin air specially for her.

Joyce refuses to resign and the weak leader Turnbull is unable to force the issue. Like it or not, the misconduct, chaos, dysfunction, alleged corruption and weak leadership is going to doom the Coalition to a heavy and fully deserved election defeat, and Shorten will be the next Prime Minister. He's a far better leader than Abbott and Abbott actually won in 2013 after Labor had leadership issues of its own.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #161 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:14pm

They don't seem to be rumors LW but then LW generally hasn't got a clue and just posts some rot in the hope of getting noticed.

Read all about Bull S.'s numerous sordid affairs.

https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2016/05/15/bill-shortens-alleged-crimes-are...

And browse thru Bull S.'s very long dossier of dastardly deeds.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:22pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #162 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:51am

DUPLICATION DELETED

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:00am by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #163 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:56am

Quote:

Bam wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 12:52pm:
"rumours". Really? Is that the best you can do?  Huh

The
Liberal Party of Australia
have always been quite prolific in starting these absurd and untraceable
rumours
in the lead-up to elections

Remember the one that Paul Keating was secretly gay - and had left his wife over an affair with a young male. renowned classical concert pianist ?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #164 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:57am

DUPLICATION DELETED

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #165 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:00am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:51am:
Quote:

The
rumours

Remember the one that Paul Keating was secretly gay - and had left his wife over an affair with a young male. renowned classical concert pianist ?

Keating has been giving Julieanne Newbould a poke for donkey's years. If that's the sign of a poof can I have some too.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:51am by crocodile »  

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #166 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:40am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:56am:
Quote:

The
rumours

Lets not forget Julia Gillard's partner was also gay according to some right wing wankers and Kevin Rudd was corrupt for accepting a ute off a mate according to the current PM???

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #167 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:03am

juliar wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:14pm:
They don't seem to be rumors LW but then LW generally hasn't got a clue and just posts some rot in the hope of getting noticed.

https://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2016/05/15/bill-shortens-alleged-crimes-are...

Next you will quoting the dummies telegraph

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:18am

Gosh! Now the Lefties are trying to deny that their HERO Bull S. had all those sordid affairs.

Will Bull S.'s copied from Mal's anti bonkers rules mean that Bull S. and Tony Burke will have to "step down" ?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #169 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:23am

Quote:
HERO Bull S. had all those sordid affairs.

List these affair
s
you refer to.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #170 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:31am

And to help Aussie who is in high deny mode about Bull S.'s many sordid affairs:-

And Bull S.'s top priority of RESTARTING the BOATS is never far away

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #171 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 9:26am

Its time wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:03am:
juliar wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 10:14pm:

Next you will quoting the dummies telegraph

kangaroocourtofaustralia.com is such a laughing stock - no-one, defamed, even bothers to take legal action against it

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #172 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 10:46am

Agree.  It is not a source anyone with any nous would even read let alone cite as an authority.

Ridiculous.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #173 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 7:20am

54 46 , the big plunge ( for libtards ) continues  Smiley

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out